Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

jjack229 posted:

Same here. A corporate VPN to access emails and the corporate intranet. And then other VPNs to access the devices on specific secured networks.

Mine does that too, but I don't use the VPN to remotely access my office computer. My office computer is at home with me. The VPN lets me access the company intranet. It also has a MFA for the login.

So I don't know how you would categorize this. My previous job, where I was just a temp worker for the State, they had me do a full on remote desktop deal. This at least feels less awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can see how a company that was all Office 365 + AWS + GitHub.com wouldn’t really even have an intranet.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I used a vpn just this morning.

But then the NHS is about ten years behind everywhere else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is there a lego/lego-adjacent thread? I made a lego kit for the first time today and it owned and i would like to learn more about this scene

mystes
May 31, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is there a lego/lego-adjacent thread? I made a lego kit for the first time today and it owned and i would like to learn more about this scene

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would like to know more about that beige computer with the dual floppy drive behind Rocket there!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think it's an Apple 2e

https://www.oldcomputr.com/apple-iie-1983/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I would like to know more about that beige computer with the dual floppy drive behind Rocket there!

It is a working Apple IIe! I play Oregon Trail and Archon on it. :D

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

It is a working Apple IIe! I play Oregon Trail and Archon on it. :D

That rules. How many dysenteries have you had

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mystes posted:

The cool new thing for the last 10 years that companies like Google have been pushing is "zero trust" which basically just means that rather than having services exposed on an intranet which is assumed to be trusted, every connection to every service has to be authenticated so there isn't really an internet/intranet distinction. This is theoretically probably better because if you have an intranet which is assumed to be trusted, once someone gains access to that, there may not really be much security. However, it's also probably pretty hard for most smaller companies to make work, especially if they don't control all the software they're running.

More realistically, lots of companies are probably just using third party cloud services like o365 rather than running their own servers so they aren't running any services themselves in the first place. As long as you're just using o365 you basically get the same thing automatically out of the box and you can just set whatever security policies you want and there's no real point in having people connect via a vpn.

Interesting! Thanks

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to get VLC to loop the same file by default, instead of having to click the button twice every time you open a song? And if not, is there another player besides MPC that does that?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've heard that winamp really whips the llama's rear end, in this regard

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

alnilam posted:

I've heard that winamp really whips the llama's rear end, in this regard

Their site has no download button and it looks like some kind of scam/music streaming service, not a media player

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Try here. I promise Winamp is a real program

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Oh I found out VLC does save that setting

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

NotNut posted:

Their site has no download button and it looks like some kind of scam/music streaming service, not a media player

Am I getting old?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Am I getting old?

No, it is the children who are getting old.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Looks like somebody bought the brand and is trying to market a mobile app.

YggiDee posted:

Try here. I promise Winamp is a real program

This appears correct though and should be a 20-year old media player.

a mobile streaming app rocking the mid-90s MySpace aesthetic would be pretty funny

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Looks like somebody bought the brand and is trying to market a mobile app.

This appears correct though and should be a 20-year old media player.

a mobile streaming app rocking the mid-90s MySpace aesthetic would be pretty funny

According to Wikipedia it's the same company.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just made rice in my rice cooker. This time it bubbled like crazy practically the whole time. Having taken it off to sit for ten minutes, it looks pretty mushy in there.

What kind of procedural screwup would that indicate? I spaced out and added too much water?

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

Hyperlynx posted:

I just made rice in my rice cooker. This time it bubbled like crazy practically the whole time. Having taken it off to sit for ten minutes, it looks pretty mushy in there.

What kind of procedural screwup would that indicate? I spaced out and added too much water?

No idea, but there's an A/T rice thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4049129&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh neat! Thanks.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Do we have a thread for job cover letters and stuff like that?

Need to put an application together fast.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

there’s gotta be something in the subforum business, finance, and careers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Extra row of tits posted:

Do we have a thread for job cover letters and stuff like that?

Need to put an application together fast.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I received a message from an acquaintance who wrote "blah blah blah... and walla, it's done!" Is this is likely to be an ironic misspelling? Or can I make fun of her for not knowing voila?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Thanks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

dokmo posted:

I received a message from an acquaintance who wrote "blah blah blah... and walla, it's done!" Is this is likely to be an ironic misspelling? Or can I make fun of her for not knowing voila?

Sounds like you can make fun of her

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

dokmo posted:

It's common enough, but likely not mean to be ironic. I think it's usually because people have only ever heard it and aren't aware of the word being French originally

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I'm hoping there is a teacher or early childhood teacher around i can bother with this..

This is a paragraph in my cover letter for a job, this is what I want it to say

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I make them feel safe and am fun to play with"

Now how do I say this without sounding like Jared from Subway?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I offer a sense of security while also being able to engage with them in an entertaining and playful manner."

Something like that? As a single male working with vulnerable kids in the foster system I get your concern, but in my experience it's a bit unnecessary. Describe things concretely and professionally and you'll be fine. Frame things in terms of assets and outcomes, stuff like that. During my interview I talked about how my hobbies and interests (fantasy, gaming, lego, etc.) allow me to connect with kids on a personal level. Also being huge but having a gentle demeanor means that while I can be a bit intimidating at first sight, young kids soon see me for the teddy bear I am while the older kids think twice before trying to start poo poo when I'm around.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Taeke posted:

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I offer a sense of security while also being able to engage with them in an entertaining and playful manner."

Something like that? As a single male working with vulnerable kids in the foster system I get your concern, but in my experience it's a bit unnecessary. Describe things concretely and professionally and you'll be fine. Frame things in terms of assets and outcomes, stuff like that. During my interview I talked about how my hobbies and interests (fantasy, gaming, lego, etc.) allow me to connect with kids on a personal level. Also being huge but having a gentle demeanor means that while I can be a bit intimidating at first sight, young kids soon see me for the teddy bear I am while the older kids think twice before trying to start poo poo when I'm around.

Top notch!

Thank you for that, I'm throwing together an application overnight, if you think of anything else later on please feel free to post it or PM me :)

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've got nothing to add, except for good luck. You've got this.

How long does it take food to travel the digestive tract? People talk about Taco Bell blowing their guts out, like they ate it and it was responsible for a massive poop, but doesn't food take hours, if not a day or two, to move through you?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

I'm hoping there is a teacher or early childhood teacher around i can bother with this..

This is a paragraph in my cover letter for a job, this is what I want it to say

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I make them feel safe and am fun to play with"

Now how do I say this without sounding like Jared from Subway?

I would not use the term “affinity with” because it sounds like a chemical reaction.

“I enjoy working with children. At each of my positions as <job title>/in <your industry>, it has been a privilege to quickly develop a rapport with them. My priority as a <job title> is to keep children safe and maintain a fun atmosphere and I’m pleased that I have always <quantifiable about safety and fun>.”

I’m a teacher.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Leave posted:

How long does it take food to travel the digestive tract? People talk about Taco Bell blowing their guts out, like they ate it and it was responsible for a massive poop, but doesn't food take hours, if not a day or two, to move through you?

It's probably the gastrocolic reflex

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
it's like 6-8 hours for food to get through you

my personal theory about taco bell is that it's the only fast food with a significant amount of fiber in it so people who eat a lot of fast food aren't used to receiving any fiber and their body desperately grabs on to the fiber it gets form taco bell and uses it to make a big digestive push

i read that on the internet once so it's probably true

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

it's like 6-8 hours for food to get through you

my personal theory about taco bell is that it's the only fast food with a significant amount of fiber in it so people who eat a lot of fast food aren't used to receiving any fiber and their body desperately grabs on to the fiber it gets form taco bell and uses it to make a big digestive push

i read that on the internet once so it's probably true

And now I've read it on the internet once as well!
e: I mean, it does sound right

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Leave posted:

It varies a lot.

British Medical journal posted:

Although the most common bowel habit was once daily this was a minority practice in both sexes; a regular 24 hour cycle was apparent in only 40% of men and 33% of women. Another 7% of men and 4% of women seemed to have a regular twice or thrice daily bowel habit. Thus most people had irregular bowels. A third of women defecated less often than daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like its in reference to how often your bowel movements are, not how long it takes for the food to get through you specifically. It is variable between people but I don't think one meal usually spends 24 hours making it through the digestive tract of a healthy person who doesn't have a blockage or something.