Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

rofl

Holy poo poo, it isn't even a manga. The new project they've been hyping up is a goddamn webcomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

rofl

Holy poo poo, it isn't even a manga. The new project they've been hyping up is a goddamn webcomic.

There's very little difference between both. Dreamers is also published like a webcomic, the only real difference is if it has a printed release or not, in 2023 post-pandemic that may as well be nothing.

I'm looking forward to this because I'm not sure how you'd deal with it. I imagine it'll go the YGO route because you can't really make a manga about the DCG lore without that being just...a Digimon manga.

EDIT: Some stuff I got from other sources and that I figured out myself:

There are three new Digimon here: the pink one at the top-left, the green one, and the one that looks like Pikachu on a shoe. The green one specifically is being used as the mascot for the manga.
Other than that, the white haired dude with sunglasses is nearly identical to an existing character: the "Cool Boy" from Chronicle lore. Omekamon is likely his Partner Digimon (in as much as one may exist here), as he was partnered with Omegamon X there.
Sunarizamon, Sangomon, and Ghostmon are the mascots of the Digimon Pendulum Z
It leaves Bemmon as the odd man out, but it may have been chosen simply due to being a relatively popular Digimon that's never had any roles in the franchise beyond starring in Digimon World 3 where it was introduced

They all also rep one specific colour from the card game:
-Green (protagonist)
-Yellow (Pikachu)
-Unknown (pink)
-Black (Bemmon)
-White (Omekamon)
-Purple (Ghostmon)
-Red (Sunarizamon)
-Blue (Sangomon)

Which, of course, leaves us with a question: why do we have one more protagonist than the amount of colours in the game? Are they introducing a new colour?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 23, 2023

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I doubt they're introducing a new color. It may be a multi-color thing, like how modern Greymon is Red/Black.

For what it's worth, I want to be optimistic about this because recent Digimon media has been very good (I recently caught up on Seekers, which was a really good time.) I'm just really pessimistic about how Bandai treats digica in general.

E: Where can I read Dreamers, by the way? I had no idea it existed until this morning.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I doubt they're introducing a new color. It may be a multi-color thing, like how modern Greymon is Red/Black.

For what it's worth, I want to be optimistic about this because recent Digimon media has been very good (I recently caught up on Seekers, which was a really good time.) I'm just really pessimistic about how Bandai treats digica in general.

E: Where can I read Dreamers, by the way? I had no idea it existed until this morning.

https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/

Not sure how often it updates though (it came back from a long hiatus just recently)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

You can check all chapters here: https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Thanks! I'll probably give it a look once I finish what I'm currently reading.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Thanks! I'll probably give it a look once I finish what I'm currently reading.

I should note that it takes a little bit for the series to actually get going (in my opinion at least) and thus far there’s only one human cast member

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

I should note that it takes a little bit for the series to actually get going (in my opinion at least) and thus far there’s only one human cast member

Good to know, thanks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

King of Solomon posted:

rofl

Webcomics published in Japan are technically webmanga.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://x.com/digimonweb_net/status/1738756381933469711?s=46&t=X6-Ut4Z5gjBZ_q10eeG_mg

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
We could use a Krampus themed Digimon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We got some better artwork for the new Digimon and their Tamers of Liberator:

https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1739224249653428261?t=5tcQM4c9Jx0vamCgGb--ag&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Still kind of wish we were getting a new anime but another manga’s fine, hope it at least gets an international release like Dreamers did

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Still kind of wish we were getting a new anime but another manga’s fine, hope it at least gets an international release like Dreamers did

The announcement was in both Japanese and English so it's pretty certain it'll be translated and added to Digimon Web in both languages like Dreamers.

The big question is whether it'll be a proper translation like Dreamers or a sometimes unreadable machine translation like Seekers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

The announcement was in both Japanese and English so it's pretty certain it'll be translated and added to Digimon Web in both languages like Dreamers.

The big question is whether it'll be a proper translation like Dreamers or a sometimes unreadable machine translation like Seekers.

Let’s hope for the former. I assume we don’t have a start date for this yet beyond sometime next year?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

We got some better artwork for the new Digimon and their Tamers of Liberator:

https://twitter.com/JP_Excelsior/status/1739224249653428261?t=5tcQM4c9Jx0vamCgGb--ag&s=19

It's not much, but over on https://digimoncard.com/digimon_liberator/ you can click on the cast for pop-outs which show the characters as actual cards with colors, though without names and effects. It's not a particularly surprising reveal as this very thread guessed it, but it does confirm the lead and main Digimon are Green and the girl and her shoe Mimikyu are Yellow.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

It's not much, but over on https://digimoncard.com/digimon_liberator/ you can click on the cast for pop-outs which show the characters as actual cards with colors, though without names and effects. It's not a particularly surprising reveal as this very thread guessed it, but it does confirm the lead and main Digimon are Green and the girl and her shoe Mimikyu are Yellow.

That wasn't actually a prediction, those cards that were blank except for the card art were just in the new trailer for Liberator.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
green hawkmon cute and not a dinosaur/dragon

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Leraika posted:

green hawkmon cute and not a dinosaur/dragon

Tbh I think it is a dinosaur, albeit a more scientifically accurate raptor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

>bird
>not a dinosaur

It just don’t add up!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
It's kind of amazing that Bandai is making a completely new Digimon IP explicitly to get more content for the game but they still haven't made an Appmon set.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Some Numbers posted:

It's kind of amazing that Bandai is making a completely new Digimon IP explicitly to get more content for the game but they still haven't made an Appmon set.

I doubt that's the reason why they're doing it, considering Digimon has over a thousand monsters (Wikimon lists 1471 Digimon alone, not counting non-Digimon digital lifeforms that could easily appear in the DCG as well considering the D-Reaper and its agents, and Yggdrasill, have), several of which have not seen the DCG at all yet. They're not lacking in species to add. It's simply a way to expand a product that's been doing insanely well considering how niche Digimon is now.

Talking about Appmon, I read the Appmon manga. It's good! It's not as good as the anime, nor as unique as the Xros Wars manga in comparison to its own anime. It's a slightly different take on the same thing, sped up like hell. Still, it's entertaining in its own right and it does some cool stuff the anime doesn't (plus it fixes a glaring plot hole in the anime) so it's worth the read...plus, it's not like you have any other options if you want more Appmon stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I doubt that's the reason why they're doing it, considering Digimon has over a thousand monsters (Wikimon lists 1471 Digimon alone, not counting non-Digimon digital lifeforms that could easily appear in the DCG as well considering the D-Reaper and its agents, and Yggdrasill, have), several of which have not seen the DCG at all yet. They're not lacking in species to add. It's simply a way to expand a product that's been doing insanely well considering how niche Digimon is now.

Talking about Appmon, I read the Appmon manga. It's good! It's not as good as the anime, nor as unique as the Xros Wars manga in comparison to its own anime. It's a slightly different take on the same thing, sped up like hell. Still, it's entertaining in its own right and it does some cool stuff the anime doesn't (plus it fixes a glaring plot hole in the anime) so it's worth the read...plus, it's not like you have any other options if you want more Appmon stuff.

I feel like it’s kind of an abridged version of the show’s plot and doesn’t have nearly enough Eri content but I liked it fine overall. I forget, what’s the plot hole you’re referring to?

Speaking of, since they’re putting out official manga translations now with Dreamers and eventually Liberators I wonder if they’d ever go back and do some of the older mangas (I’d love an official V-Tamer translation for example)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I feel like it’s kind of an abridged version of the show’s plot and doesn’t have nearly enough Eri content but I liked it fine overall. I forget, what’s the plot hole you’re referring to?

Speaking of, since they’re putting out official manga translations now with Dreamers and eventually Liberators I wonder if they’d ever go back and do some of the older mangas (I’d love an official V-Tamer translation for example)

During one of the early episodes, an Appli Drive is shown performing an AppGattai for Scorpmon. Later on, Mienumon explicitely AppGattais with Sakusimon's chip to form Warudamon. The main issue is, no one could've done this. All four people with a regular Appli Drive are on Minerva's side and would've never worked on Leviathan's side. Yuujin also couldn't have done it, because he never owned a regular Appli Drive, only a DUO, and he got it after Warudamon appeared. Therefore, it's never explained how these two AppGattais happened, and we know AppGattai can't happen naturally.

In the manga, we know it was Knight who did it, but he's not an Appli Driver in the anime.

About the older manga, it's entirely possible. It was recently announced that V-Tamer would get a Spanish translation (not from Bandai themselves), despite being such an old manga, and V-Tamer has gotten a surprising amount of inter-franchise focus lately with some Digimon managing to finally break free of the V-Tamer jail. I wouldn't be too surprised if Bandai decided to translate V-Tamer at least, though I see Next and Xros Wars as more unlikely and Appmon as flat-out impossible since nothing Appmon-related has left Japan.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
God, I can't believe Digimon animation is now old enough to rent a car in the continental United States. Where does the time go and why does death approach ever faster?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Two updates! First, two new starter decks for Digimon Liberator have probably just been announced.

https://x.com/digicaplayer/status/1740311894681083935?s=20

Second, there’s a new ban type. Prohibited Pairs are cards that are fine on their own but are too strong in an unintended combination.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

A good move given none of the four cards are strong enough on their own to warrant hits.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Omnicrom posted:

A good move given none of the four cards are strong enough on their own to warrant hits.

Agreed. I like that you can still use these cards in non-exploit decks, some of them are really important

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like we'll only really see this in cases of infinite loops like this, but tbh I wouldn't mind seeing it used more in cases where cards are otherwise broadly fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Good rule, bad machine translation.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Don't forget to fill out your Digimon Con game segment survey. It doesn't really mean much, but I got a chuckle out of the idea of a Call of Digi game. They'd never get the kinda budget needed for like half of these why even ask?

https://twitter.com/digimon_games/status/1739813352916812193

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Sleeping Sigma posted:

Don't forget to fill out your Digimon Con game segment survey. It doesn't really mean much, but I got a chuckle out of the idea of a Call of Digi game. They'd never get the kinda budget needed for like half of these why even ask?

https://twitter.com/digimon_games/status/1739813352916812193

Lmao there’s a question for what your favorite Digimon from one of the games is and it gives you an alphabetical list of each Digimon, which is just the most “we didn’t think this through” Digimon poo poo possible

How am I supposed to choose which is my favorite? They are all my children

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 29, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Dreamers chapter is out:

https://digimon.net/digimondreamers/en/ep_023/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a bit sad, Dreamers absolutely feels like it's ending. I may be wrong, but with Pal having broken through the curse and getting cool and unique powers, and Ritsu finally accepting his destiny as a Digimon protagonist, it's hard to see how this could continue, we've hit the character development goals for both protagonists.

At least it ends with Phelesmon getting punched in the face several times, and that's very cool. Still, I hope I'm wrong and we have more arcs in the future, Dreamers was a blast, especially this arc.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The final Great Demon Lord just dropped!

quote:

Barbamon EX6-059 SR <03>
Mega | Virus | Demon Lord/Seven Great Demon Lords

<Scapegoat> (When this Digimon would be deleted other than by your effects, by deleting 1 of your other Digimon, prevent that deletion)
[On Play] [When Digivolving] Trash 1 card in your opponent's hand without looking.
[All Turns] (Once Per Turn) When a card is trashed from your opponent's hand, you may play 1 play cost 10 or less purple card from your trash without paying the cost. For each card in your opponent's hand, reduce this effect's play cost maximum by 1.

Discard is not really great in DCG but maybe this one will be good. Scapegoat is a new keyword, and I expect to see a card with [On Deletion] Trash 1 card in your opponent's hand without looking.

quote:

Luxmon EX6-017 U <03>
Rookie | Vaccine | Angel

[On Play] Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Add 1 Digimon card with the [Angel] or [Archangel] trait and 1 card with the [Three Great Angels] trait among them to your hand. Return the rest to the bottom of the deck.
-----
Inherited: [When Attacking] [Once per turn] If this Digimon has the [Angel], [Archangel] or [Three Great Angels] trait, <Draw 1>.

This is a very good draw engine. Not much else to say, I’d play it in any deck focusing on angels

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Luxmon is still an adorable little gremlin. ArkhaiAngemon got a card too, so I imagine we'll get Dominimon soon for the Holy Wings trio.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The first deck I ever put together myself is an Etemon deck, and it finally got a win last week at the locals after months of trickshot lobbing Chuumon into meatgrinders. I'm so pumped for EX5 and its promises of a possible second win in this lifetime.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Redezga posted:

The first deck I ever put together myself is an Etemon deck, and it finally got a win last week at the locals after months of trickshot lobbing Chuumon into meatgrinders. I'm so pumped for EX5 and its promises of a possible second win in this lifetime.

Hell yeah

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Angemon card yesterday, Seraphimon and Dominimon today. HolyAngemon got skipped.

Am I being too hopeful if I think they may be holding that back as a surprise with HolyAngemon: Priest Mode, and then it gets added to the DRB? We got Dominimon, he's next to leave the V-Tamer Jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Digimon revealed so, so many cards today but all I will currently say is that the Liberator Digimon in a shoe is called Shoemon and it evolves into ShoeShoemon