Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Stroman wanted an extension from the Cubs and on the open market he got a whole 1 extra year for less AAV. Doesn't really seem like the gamble paid off but I wish him best, he was fun to watch for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Stro really just needs to get all his posting out in a safe, controlled environment. I suggest mcmagic buy him an account for cspam'n.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees used to not sign assholes on purpose.

:allears:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the other clear sign that Stroman's baggage affected his deal is that Stroman purged his social media history this offseason. So I think its a pretty safe bet that once he hit the free agent market he got a rude awakening about what people thought of him. And like I said earlier today I basically knew the Yankees were gonna sign him because Yankee media was working really, really, really hard to cover up his baggage as "antics" and cut off that criticism at the pass.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the Yankees were willing to ingore a guy being a shithead cause they need a pitcher they should've just signed Bauer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I knew you'd be along to advocate for the rapist after this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Is it really "Cubs are cheap" if it was a player option that he declined? And for $4 million more than he'll be making with the Yankees next year?

He got more guaranteed money and yes the Cubs are cheap.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mcmagic posted:

If the Yankees were willing to ingore a guy being a shithead cause they need a pitcher they should've just signed Bauer.
I realize you're numb to people criticizing your posting by this point, but this is a bad take

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Hosmer went after the Padres beat reporter once for a very mild criticism, and then Stroman jumped in out of no where and the beat reporter ended up apologizing. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

No. There's a huge difference in how they behave and they aren't even comparable. Come on, you are reaching so hard

If I posted Stromans numbers, didn't tell you it was him, and said the contract they signed him to everyone would be like wow that's a good deal. You are being ridiculous here. You can be mad about Yamamoto but the truth is he was probably never coming here unless they blew the doors off the Dodgers offer, he just wanted to be a Dodger. Harsh truth but nothing they can do about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

The Yankees used to not sign assholes on purpose.

Just curious, when was this?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

RCarr posted:

Never lol, mcmagic is chugging copium

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What a strange feeling it must be to discover, so late in life, players deciding not to sign with your team.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Stroman wanted an extension from the Cubs and on the open market he got a whole 1 extra year for less AAV. Doesn't really seem like the gamble paid off but I wish him best, he was fun to watch for a few years.

I mean, isn't this how all employment works? You aim as high as you can until you're forced to settle...

At his age, the smart thing is to aim for guaranteed years, in my opinion. At 32, you're at a high risk of just sucking all of a sudden or getting a season ending injury at any given time.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 12, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

No. There's a huge difference in how they behave and they aren't even comparable. Come on, you are reaching so hard

If I posted Stromans numbers, didn't tell you it was him, and said the contract they signed him to everyone would be like wow that's a good deal. You are being ridiculous here. You can be mad about Yamamoto but the truth is he was probably never coming here unless they blew the doors off the Dodgers offer, he just wanted to be a Dodger. Harsh truth but nothing they can do about it.

All of this is moot because the Yankees were not the high bidder for Yamamoto so we really have no idea if he was willing to come here or not. There is no reason for him take less money to come to the Yankees.

Again, Stroman is 33, injury prone with a small frame, coming off of being really bad at the end of last season and the fanbase hates him because hes a shithead. The chances that this works out are very very low.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Before Chapman actually.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So like Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, etc just to name a few don’t count?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

So like Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, etc just to name a few don’t count?

Those guys are all first ballot hall of famers lol

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Those guys are all first ballot hall of famers lol

Oh I thought we were talking about signing assholes, not this completely different conversation you’re now mentioning, my bad.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about signing assholes, not this completely different conversation you’re now mentioning, my bad.

I think there is a higher tolerance for guys if they are that level of player, not a number 3-4 starter. None of those guys you mentioned were problems here. Do you actually think signing Stroman is a good idea or are you just arguing with me because you have to to argue with me whenever I have an opinion?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I think it’s a fine idea. I’m not saying I’m super excited about it, but he was pitching well before he got hurt. I don’t have a problem with them taking a shot on him. Plus he’s from Medford so you get the whole born and bred angle. It’s not like signing him takes the Yanks out of the realm of signing anyone else, so who cares?

There’s just as much chance of Stroman not being a problem here as there were of the guys I mentioned. Do you think he’s just going to immediately go off the rails and act a fool?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stroman's a bit of a head case so I'm sure that'll be fine in the pinstripes under the Bright Lights

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

zoux posted:

Stroman's a bit of a head case so I'm sure that'll be fine in the pinstripes under the Bright Lights

he literally pitched for the mets

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

he literally pitched for the mets

And he pitched well for the Mets during a pretty awful season to be on the Mets

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RCarr posted:

I think it’s a fine idea. I’m not saying I’m super excited about it, but he was pitching well before he got hurt. I don’t have a problem with them taking a shot on him. Plus he’s from Medford so you get the whole born and bred angle. It’s not like signing him takes the Yanks out of the realm of signing anyone else, so who cares?

There’s just as much chance of Stroman not being a problem here as there were of the guys I mentioned. Do you think he’s just going to immediately go off the rails and act a fool?

I don't think they are going to do anything else in the FA market so this is it. And if Stroman goes out there in April and has a few bad starts in a row it's going to get ugly. The fans already don't like him.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

STAC Goat posted:

I knew you'd be along to advocate for the rapist after this.

I should’ve seen it coming but honestly this was pretty low

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I wanna talk some more about how the organization that acquired Aroldis Chapman on two separate occasions only signs the noblest of characters

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
famous Yankee non-assholes Aroldis Chapman, Domingo German, Josh Donaldson….

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

mcmagic posted:

All of this is moot because the Yankees were not the high bidder for Yamamoto so we really have no idea if he was willing to come here or not. There is no reason for him take less money to come to the Yankees.

Again, Stroman is 33, injury prone with a small frame, coming off of being really bad at the end of last season and the fanbase hates him because hes a shithead. The chances that this works out are very very low.

They put out a higher AAV than the Dodgers. Also if they matched the Dodgers offer they more than likely would have just bumped it up anyway, it's a moot point. It's not like they made a half assed offer, they put forth a real effort to sign him and he chose the Dodgers because he wanted to be there.

Julio Cruz posted:

famous Yankee non-assholes Aroldis Chapman, Domingo German, Josh Donaldson….

David Justice, Daryll Strawberry, David Wells, Dwight Gooden, Gary Shieffield

The list goes on. Again, mcmagic is just coping mad hard

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 12, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's a lindbergh article about how it doesn't really matter how much money you offer, elite players just want to play for the dodgers.
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/1/11/24033840/los-angeles-dodgers-billion-dollar-offseason-spending-recruiting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kind of random news, but longtime Braves player Charlie Culberson is going to report to Braves minor league camp this year as a relief pitcher to try and continue his career

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

RCarr posted:

Wait, what did Randy do?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait, what did Randy do?

killed bird

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They said he was the man who can extend anyone... but can he lock down a long term deal with... himself?
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1745823079014543741

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kind of random news, but longtime Braves player Charlie Culberson is going to report to Braves minor league camp this year as a relief pitcher to try and continue his career
Yeah he's been in Gwinnett trying to convert since the start of last year but it was derailed when he got called up to sit on Atlanta's bench for like six weeks without a single appearance.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Randy was real lovely about paying child support, IIRC. I could be forgetting something.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They said he was the man who can extend anyone... but can he lock down a long term deal with... himself?
https://twitter.com/Braves/status/1745823079014543741

Where's the details about how much goes to the Braves Foundation?!?!??!?!?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

here's a lindbergh article about how it doesn't really matter how much money you offer, elite players just want to play for the dodgers.
https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2024/1/11/24033840/los-angeles-dodgers-billion-dollar-offseason-spending-recruiting
in short, to the other FO’s the Dodgers say “get gud”

Interesting that in Ben’s section on how other teams can compete with the Dodgers, he doesn’t mention improving their player development system. The Rays hang with big spenders every year and it’s because they draft, develop, and trade well.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 12, 2024

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
has stroman done anything actually lovely or has he just been rude to people on twitter

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wait, what did Randy do?

IIRC he was kind of a surly, grumpy guy towards the end of his career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

has stroman done anything actually lovely or has he just been rude to people on twitter

he has some Kyrie opinions with terminally-online KD brain. Main character syndrome, book-smart and very streets-dumb. But he hasn't been like an abusive shithead or anything, as far as we know.