Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Finally heading to Vegas for a little getaway a few days after Christmas this year - definitely stopping by Yukon, ogopogo. Hope to run into you (and looking forward to that delicious pizza).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

blixa posted:

Finally heading to Vegas for a little getaway a few days after Christmas this year - definitely stopping by Yukon, ogopogo. Hope to run into you (and looking forward to that delicious pizza).

Oh hell yeah! I’m usually there every day we’re open so I should be around!

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

High-gluten flour, olive oil, chilled water, salt, honey, active yeast, and semolina for the crusts and bottom.
Summer tomato, mozzarella, powdered garlic and onion.

First try!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Picked up an Alfa Moderno Portable oven on Black Friday and have used it at home a few times; what a gigantic difference even from what I thought was an OK process and result in my electric convection oven with a 3/8" steel. Haven't had to modify the typical dough I make which works great (Dan Richer's everyday dough). Sips propane and preheats faster than the oven inside.

I was so blown away with the first couple cooks that I decided to set up and cook for a small holiday party at work. Ended up making 20 pizzas over an hour and a half by myself. I still need to see if anyone actually took photos, but in all it went pretty well. I have a bunch of catering and other food service experience but this was the largest group I've done pizza for. The oven was indispensable, keeping up without a problem. The fact that it just turns anything that falls off a pizza to white ash within a few minutes is helpful for keeping it clear. The one issue was the dough not coming up to room temp as quickly as I'd expected, so some were on the smaller side. The last few that were room temp stretched out great. I also stored the dough balls in a couple of full hotel pans rather than individually like I normally do at home, and the earlier-made pan ended up as one big mass. This dough is so well developed though that just cutting it up on the spot worked fine. I also handled it way more rough than usual and it still puffed way up during the cook. Hopefully I don't make a habit of this. :v:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I stopped by the steel yard today and picked up a 1/4" steel plate to clean up and use in my pellet oven. Anyone use a pizza steel in an ooni or similar? How's things like preheating time compare? Should I still try for 900F+ or can I do a lower temp?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Made more of this chewy poof

Needed to get onto a pizza screen or something for the last ~30 seconds, but it's okay. I made another 3/8" pizza steel and I'm using it on the rack directly above my other steel and it makes a significant difference. Way more radiant heat on the top of the pizza, and I can still stay in the center of the oven inline with the convection fan.

I used different mozzarella this time, which was a little stretchier and less flavorful/less fatty than my previous. Still whole milk, but not as good as the giant GFS block. I can't use the giant GFS block fast enough to keep it from getting comically moldy though.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 28, 2023

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

ogopogo posted:

Oh hell yeah! I’m usually there every day we’re open so I should be around!

Stopped by today and enjoyed awesome pizza for lunch, t-shirts, and a bottle of that natural wine to go because the glass I had was delicious.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hypnolobster posted:

Made more of this chewy poof

holy lmao that crust

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Hypnolobster posted:

I can't use the giant GFS block fast enough to keep it from getting comically moldy though.

I don't know what GFS is, but I chunk my giant blocks of whole milk mozz and freeze them. If it does something to the texture, I haven't noticed.

Also that's impressively poofy! Recipe and/or details?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Happiness Commando posted:

I don't know what GFS is, but I chunk my giant blocks of whole milk mozz and freeze them. If it does something to the texture, I haven't noticed.

Also that's impressively poofy! Recipe and/or details?

I never was sure if that's a national chain. Gordon Food Service, it's a sort of consumer-facing restaurant supply store. They've got a 5lb block of whole milk/low moisture mozzarella and they're one of the only drat places I can even find it. Every grocery store deli, several actual delis. It's a wasteland out there.
For some reason I had it in my head that mozzarella doesn't freeze well. That simplifies my life greatly if I can just chunk it in half and freeze it.

280g water
30g olive oil
5g instant dry yeast
25g sugar
12g salt
430g flour (I used bread this time, but I've done it with AP and sometimes slightly less water)
Makes 2 balls, ~14" pizzas

Stand mixer, 30m rest and a couple stretch and folds, bulked 80% and then balled and into oiled containers, fridged. This one today was only in for about 8 hours. I let it warm up for about an hour and a half and used a bunch of cornmeal on the peel.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 28, 2023

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

blixa posted:

Stopped by today and enjoyed awesome pizza for lunch, t-shirts, and a bottle of that natural wine to go because the glass I had was delicious.

Oh nice, thank you and glad you enjoyed! I picked up a fun little cold over Christmas so I haven’t been back in the shop yet, I miss making pies. What wine did you go for?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I don’t think that anyone who has gone to Yukon has actually SEEN ogopogo. Are we sure that he is not just an advanced pizza chat bot/pizza image generator?

Or maybe “his wife” is actually the real person/brains/owner, and ogopogo is just a pseudonym/construct to allow her to be recognized for real talent in the male-dominated, chauvinistic pizzaiolo world? She’s been there both times I went. Just saying!

wood fired ovens don’t burn hot enough to melt steel. 9/11 was an inside job

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

ogopogo posted:

Oh nice, thank you and glad you enjoyed! I picked up a fun little cold over Christmas so I haven’t been back in the shop yet, I miss making pies. What wine did you go for?

Hope you feel better soon!

Had a glass of the natural and then the white, which is what I picked a bottle of (Les Lunes macerated Chardonnay). Both were great!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Hypnolobster posted:

I never was sure if that's a national chain. Gordon Food Service, it's a sort of consumer-facing restaurant supply store. They've got a 5lb block of whole milk/low moisture mozzarella and they're one of the only drat places I can even find it. Every grocery store deli, several actual delis. It's a wasteland out there.
For some reason I had it in my head that mozzarella doesn't freeze well. That simplifies my life greatly if I can just chunk it in half and freeze it.

I've found that low-moisture mozzarella freezes well enough. I used to buy the 5 lb block from my local Chefstore then part it out and freeze it. Then I decided I was sick of grating it every time I needed it and just bought the 5 lb pre-shredded bag. No appreciable change in taste or texture, and I haven't had one go bad in my fridge before I could use it (like 2ish months at the longest).

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Doom Rooster posted:

I don’t think that anyone who has gone to Yukon has actually SEEN ogopogo. Are we sure that he is not just an advanced pizza chat bot/pizza image generator?

Or maybe “his wife” is actually the real person/brains/owner, and ogopogo is just a pseudonym/construct to allow her to be recognized for real talent in the male-dominated, chauvinistic pizzaiolo world? She’s been there both times I went. Just saying!

Ogopogo gave me stickers when I told him I was from the internet. I guess that doesn't disprove anything, but maybe he's like the T-1000 of pizza bots to look that realistically human

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
A real Keyser Sozë situation I’ve created around here…

Celebrated our one year anniversary a couple weeks ago - this whole month has been a whirlwind, I’m barely feeling like I’ve been able to keep up.

Big credit to my wife though, she is a real pizza force and is currently recovering from major hip surgery so she’s been outta the shop for the last couple months. I wish I could be there all day every day to meet and greet every goon who visits me (thank you to all of you, seriously!), I’m usually the opener/dough maker so I’m done by midafternoon. My nighttime crew are champs who have been crushing it as we grow and grow.

One of my photog buddies came through and got some nice shots of me and the oven/pizzas. I’ve been so busy this last year I haven’t had any real time to update photos of myself and the shop I’ve worked hard to build!

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
rear end & Route.

What you've created really is impressive so I hope you, your wife and your team take a moment to feel proud of your achievements once in a while.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fall Dog posted:

rear end & Route.

What you've created really is impressive so I hope you, your wife and your team take a moment to feel proud of your achievements once in a while.

Hopefully while shoveling some of your product into your face holes. That stuff looks legit.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Your stuff always looks great man, still hoping I can try it for myself someday.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
congrats on the one year ogopogo! keep making us drool over those beautiful edible pieces of artwork

Hypnolobster posted:

I had a pizza steel forever ago but it was a smallish 1/4" and I (somehow) lost it in a move. Been pining for shaking some pizza off a peel, so I got a piece of 3/8" thick 16x18 steel ($40!), stripped off the mill scale with a little hydrochloric acid and cleaned up the edges. Seasoned up, slapped some dough on it.

Made 4 pizzas in 2 days, all more or less NY style. I could use more heat from the top faster, but I'm pretty happy with the underside.

Also made a tomato pie/apizza sorta thing, which was nice.

from a few pages ago, but drat i'd devour those in a heartbeat

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Working on my cast iron pizza recipe. I decided to try the America's Test Kitchen method with my dough and sauce. It's good. Really good texture. The dough's a bit young though (only 18 hours in the fridge) so I'll try again on day 5.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Looks great.

After two years I might finally have a chance to break out my Detroit style pan to practice with it. For a brick cheese replacement, I usually see a combo of Monterey / cheddar / mozzarella in some combo. I have all three on hand.
Would you want to pre shred it and mix? I've seen people just cube it and stick it in the top of the dough like that. Any suggestions?

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I think either should be fine. I’ve used broken up mozzarella string cheese sticks before as a brick cheese replacement and it’s fine. Just use lots of cheese in general and it will turn out well.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks y’all for the kind words!

Today we brought back an old classic - the Crab Rangoon Pizza

This thing is stupid good and we get absolutely clobbered whenever we run it. Once I figure out the tech to email pizzas I’ll be able to feed everyone and retire…

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
My wife found something important on The Gram:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C00KR2CR-JZ/?igsh=bjV4em1scmd1ZjVi

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ogopogo posted:

Thanks y’all for the kind words!

Today we brought back an old classic - the Crab Rangoon Pizza

This thing is stupid good and we get absolutely clobbered whenever we run it. Once I figure out the tech to email pizzas I’ll be able to feed everyone and retire…

I apologize for the extremely stupid question, but are you garnishing with green onions after removing it from the oven? Because my lazy rear end puts them on before it goes in and they come out, uh, not as attractive.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Preechr posted:

I apologize for the extremely stupid question, but are you garnishing with green onions after removing it from the oven? Because my lazy rear end puts them on before it goes in and they come out, uh, not as attractive.

The prebake is just the dough, some mozz and oil, and the imitation crab mix we make for the Rangoon. Then after it’s fired we finish with the green onions, sweet n sour sauce, and fried wontons! The dough is the perfect wrapper for the whole slice.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Preechr posted:

Testing and working out what stuff to put on after the pizza leaves the oven was a big step up in my adventures in pizza making. The other option is putting more delicate ingredients under the cheese or oil drizzle rather than on top as this protects them from the heat. Both approaches lead to different flavors and textures, try it with spinach, spring onions, fresh basil, chillies etc.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
So I did a first run with the Ooni Fyre on NYE and got something that was...recognizably pizza. Which is an achievement for a first try. Looking forward to cold fermenting dough and playing around with ingredients to make a house sauce, but I found that it chews through pellets pretty fast— not that fuel consumption is the problem, but it flares up and drops down pretty quickly, making sustained heat challenging.

I emailed their customer service, who said they'd never tested it with pelletized charcoal, so I'm kinda at a loss for what else can be cooked in the oven besides things that want for quick, very hot cooks. Suggestions?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think you’re supposed to use pelletized wood, which is basically compressed sawdust. It’ll burn a lot differently than the charcoal version and give a much different consistency to the heat. I could see doing fish or something you might broil in a cast iron in the ooni to use up the charcoal though so it’s not all a waste. Maybe some sort of skewer rack could work too?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I have a pellet oven and managing the heat is very challenging. You need to time your pellet additions so that once it's at temp, you're adding fresh pellets maybe 2 minutes before you're throwing in a pizza.

It's the biggest pain in the rear end part of the process. The timing never quite works out unless you have a second person just managing the fire.

I use a 1:3 blend of charcoal and wood. The wood does all the heavy lifting, the charcoal just makes the temp drop less quickly and makes it easier to ignite each addition of fuel

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Made some NY style dough, only had 175g of bread flour left and used AP for the remaining. Mixed it longer than I generally do (and gave it a 15m rest in the middle). Let it ferment to 80%, balled, fridge for 3 days. Turned out super stretchy and bouncy and just generally the nicest feeling dough I've ever made.

Pulled out one of the two balls tonight and did a plain old slice pie. I didn't handle it too well and didn't get a perfect crust as a result, but man that feels just like a sloppy crispy oily New Jersey/NY pizza should. I'd love another 100 degrees in this oven but I can work with this sort of result for apartment-pizza.

https://i.imgur.com/22VVAqm.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
finally got a cast iron pan and made my first pan pizza. followed the king arthur recipe, it's a 75percent hydration dough, proofed overnight in the fridge and for hours in the pan. precooked it on the stove then into the oven for 15min. It's the best pizza I've ever made.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Looks tasty! I was wondering about cooking stove top first. I always cook oven first and finish stove top to crisp the bottom, but this usually makes the top a little wetter

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hypnolobster posted:

Pulled out one of the two balls tonight and did a plain old slice pie. I didn't handle it too well and didn't get a perfect crust as a result, but man that feels just like a sloppy crispy oily New Jersey/NY pizza should. I'd love another 100 degrees in this oven but I can work with this sort of result for apartment-pizza.
Yeah those grease puddles are very spot on. What heat are you hitting right now? It seems pretty good as it stands and I'd be surprised if you're carrying that just conventionally. I guess a hotter oven would let you get more leoparding, but there are plenty of places that have a top that looks just like that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah those grease puddles are very spot on. What heat are you hitting right now? It seems pretty good as it stands and I'd be surprised if you're carrying that just conventionally. I guess a hotter oven would let you get more leoparding, but there are plenty of places that have a top that looks just like that.

Oven is maxed out at 550 (and I adjusted it hotter with a calibration setting). It fluctuates between 530 and 565 after about an hour of preheat. Convection, and gas oven.

I mostly want more heat from the top/sides. I've been getting the bottom finished in about 5 minutes, and then transferring onto a pizza screen to finish the top (the crust/cornicione/whatever). It stays pretty blonde for a long time, and by the end of a 8-9 minute bake the cheese is a little more broken than I'd like. It still feels style-appropriate to a degree, but the temptation to buy a single deck electric pizza oven is very strong. Or an Ooni Koda/Karu 16.

I've tried a lot of positions for the steel, and the dead center of the oven inline with the convection fan has been the best so far. Lower placement cooks the bottom *very* fast, upper placement doesn't cook the top very fast, but it cooks much slower. If it was an electric oven I'd be using the broiler after a few minutes of cooking, but I've had bad luck with that technique on gas.

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

finally got a cast iron pan and made my first pan pizza. followed the king arthur recipe, it's a 75percent hydration dough, proofed overnight in the fridge and for hours in the pan. precooked it on the stove then into the oven for 15min. It's the best pizza I've ever made.

Man I love fluffy pizza! :catte: I'm going to be make a puffer with purple flour, I'll post some photos later.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Hypnolobster posted:

Made some NY style dough, only had 175g of bread flour left and used AP for the remaining. Mixed it longer than I generally do (and gave it a 15m rest in the middle). Let it ferment to 80%, balled, fridge for 3 days. Turned out super stretchy and bouncy and just generally the nicest feeling dough I've ever made.

Ah hell yeah.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hypnolobster posted:

Lower placement cooks the bottom *very* fast, upper placement doesn't cook the top very fast, but it cooks much slower.
Upper placement does not cook the top very fast? I want to verify that.

If I have a wood-fired oven that's cooling down and I don't want to feed it any more, I would finish the top by lifting the pizza up to the roof of the oven on the long peel for 10-30 seconds and get everything I needed for it. So I would figure moving to the top after a base bake would take care of business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Hypnolobster posted:

would slam these slices into my face, that's a great looking pie