Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s kinda impressive that so many posters are presumably in their 30s or 40s and still somehow have zero idea how insurance works but will definitely post authoritatively about it

I thankfully haven't had to interact with any insurance beyond sending them money so it's still a big mystery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

Don't listen to 3O

Just a good policy all around regardless of topic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kimcicle posted:

It's been a few weeks, and I have a few complaints which pretty much sum up that we also wanted a X5 with the iX powertrain.
1. Doors are funky to open from the inside; it's the electric button rather than a mechanical lever (but unlike Tesla there are physical mechanical backups that are easily visible).
2. Frameless windows are neat but I always freak out a little bit when I see my wife push the door shut from the glass rather than from the door itself.
3. A coworker said that they wish that the iX had a trailer hitch and I agree. It was a deal breaker for them but not for me.

Otherwise the car is smooth and quiet and easy to drive. Charging at EA stations with plug and charge has been seamless so far while we wait for our electrician to install a level 2 plug. Sometimes when I drive the car it feels too nice for me to drive compared to my 3 series; the jump in 'luxury' is nuts.

I’ve been eyeballing them pretty hard since the depreciation on these is pretty extreme. The 2023 M60 with 5000 miles I mentioned a bit ago is still on the lot and going for about $78k.

I have to convince myself that there won’t be some extreme maintenance issue that will burn me in a couple years.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
-35F and dropping here right now, and while my coworkers deal with cars that won’t start and won’t warm up enough my electric car is toasty warm when I need it to be. They all laughed at me when I bought it, but who’s laughing now?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I guess they really are driving ICE! :dadjoke:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QuarkJets posted:

Don't listen to 3O, I turned my Polestar into a Technical and it feels like I'm living my best life now, 3O just hates fun

how can something be fun if it has less than 10 screens? A car is simply an appliance for going to work and impressing homeless people

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Frank Dillinger posted:

-35F and dropping here right now, and while my coworkers deal with cars that won’t start and won’t warm up enough my electric car is toasty warm when I need it to be. They all laughed at me when I bought it, but who’s laughing now?

People who live in places where it never, ever gets to -35F?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Frank Dillinger posted:

*battery immediately dies just from heating the cabin*

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

*battery immediately dies just from heating the cabin*

I did the calculation on this once. The energy transfer you're talking about here was enough to launch the LEAF into low earth orbit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Frank Dillinger posted:

How does really cold weather like that effect range and charging?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

cruft posted:

I did the calculation on this once. The energy transfer you're talking about here was enough to launch the LEAF into low earth orbit.

I was lazy last night driving the kids to activities, and it was -5 C here. A 10 km round trip that normally takes 5% battery on the leaf took 20%. And 30 minutes later the same trip to pick him up was 12%
- could do it way less if you wanted to be cold, but you can walk too, and that only takes extra food as power

It would be nice if the leaf had a remote start button on the key so you could do it plugged in, but then of course how could they overcharge for stupid apps.
Also if you want to preheat on the cord, you have to go out in the cold and set it in the timer so it will (when you do, it works great however, no complaints there).

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
-e

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

cruft posted:

I'd like to see that math, because the delta-v I get from 62kWh and 1600kg only yields 530m/s assuming perfect conversion. Which is ~14x too slow for LEO orbit, not to mention getting up there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm still not fully confident that the automatic climate timer thing on my rav4prime is actually working. I haven't seen frost on my windshield in the morning, but maybe it just melted?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

I'd like to see that math, because the delta-v I get from 62kWh and 1600kg only yields 530m/s assuming perfect conversion. Which is ~14x too slow for LEO orbit, not to mention getting up there.

I wasn't expecting anyone to call me on this one! You've probably done more rigorous calculations than I have.

It wasn't enough to enter orbit. It was enough to kind of graze that elevation, assuming no atmosphere or losses to heat. And I estimated this in my head while driving on a road trip. I may have "estimated" in a few orders of magnitude: I have no work to show, and I am ashamed.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 12, 2024

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Heating in PHEVs usually runs the engine, right? Guess that makes sense from an engineering perspective, rather than killing the already limited electric range.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Freezer posted:

Heating in PHEVs usually runs the engine, right? Guess that makes sense from an engineering perspective, rather than killing the already limited electric range.

If there's one thing internal combustion engines excel at, it's generating heat. They put more energy into heat than they do into the crankshaft, sometimes over three times as much.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
When I turn on preconditioning in my phev volvo if it is plugged in it just runs it off the AC. Which is good because it's in a small garage. If not plugged in it may turn on the engine if it has to work a lot to heat or cool but if it's not too bad it seems to just run it off the battery, interestingly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I think some phevs use heat pumps

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s kinda impressive that so many posters are presumably in their 30s or 40s and still somehow have zero idea how insurance works but will definitely post authoritatively about it

Can you clarify which group of posters you're dunking on? (I assume all of us)

All i know about insurance is that like half the drivers on the road don't have it here, so meh.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Having driven my EV for a few months, I pretty much love everything about it, but the one thing that I find difficult to adjust to, is knowing the speed I’m going. In an ICE I pretty much instinctively know roughly how fast I’m going from the sound and feel of the car, but in my EV there isn’t that feedback and I have to constantly check my speedo. It’s no big deal, but not something I was expecting.

I wish the car had a HUD with an analog speedo. But I assume I’ll just get used to it over time.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I know everything about insurance

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Now when I go back to my (old) car I always have to remember it does not have one pedal driving so I don't just coast into the cars ahead of me lol. It really becomes second nature and I much prefer having it on.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I’m just now finishing recovery from injuring my right foot. One area that’s still a little sore is the twisting sort of movement you’d make with your foot and ankle between the gas and brake pedals.

So the one-pedal driving on our Model 3 has been much better during my recovery.

Not being tank-sized like the Explorer helps too, but for different reasons.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't have one pedal but one of my cars has much stronger regen than the other so going between them is jarring.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I do find one pedal less good for aggressive cornering, the brakes give more immediate control.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
My egolf has been fine with range and heating since the planet decided to freeze washington state. Only slower at ac charging

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

My egolf has been fine with range and heating since the planet decided to freeze washington state. Only slower at ac charging

You don't happen to be in the tri-cities, do you?

It would be funny if we've been posting at each other on the corporate EV chat thread.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

cruft posted:

You don't happen to be in the tri-cities, do you?

It would be funny if we've been posting at each other on the corporate EV chat thread.

I am in seattle area

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Celexi posted:

I am in seattle area

Psh. Balmy.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Celexi posted:

It is loving cold for this region. Can't charge my EVs at home right now, because the space heaters desperately trying to keep the water system from freezing are plugged into the garage circuit with the EV charger.

We have a ridiculous amount of eGolfs at work, they all must have migrated to the Seattle area.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Vancouver BC area roads are frozen death rinks right now, it's pretty wild the number of people trying to get out and about with bald allseasons and failing hilariously.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Thank gently caress it didn't snow here like they were forecasting for awhile, last time it was snowing and <20F travel was basically impossible for a couple days.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

We got about an inch and a half over wet roads that froze as the cold front came in super fast so it is glare ice on the roads now.

You never realize that some roads that appear flat actually have a minor slope to them and that’s enough to make it impassible with the wrong tires!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We're looking at circa 2005 levels of snow here in the southern rockies.

It's nice. Maybe we'll get a 1-year reprieve on all our reservoirs drying up, giving us time to implement responsible water restrictions and take steps to prepare for the next 50 years!

Anyway.

We got this weather station last month, and it's kind of neat that it's acting as a proxy for how snow-covered the solar panels are. Winter snow is kind of a problem.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

How does really cold weather like that effect range and charging?

Range is definitely impacted but my commute is short (20k round trip at worst) and I’m using it as inefficiently as possible, preconditioning it to be hot inside, accelerating like a lunatic, etc. today will be my highest consumption day at 30kwh.

I don’t fast charge so I can’t elaborate on that but it should be OK so long as the pack is preconditioned appropriately.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm still not fully confident that the automatic climate timer thing on my rav4prime is actually working. I haven't seen frost on my windshield in the morning, but maybe it just melted?

You can check it in the app. If it’s running at the scheduled time and you go into the app click start. It will show the climate running and the amount of minutes left. Oddly the car will only do remote climate with the doors locked.

The rav4 prime will only use the heat pump for remote climate. Makes sense especially if you have your car parked in a garage. For the posters who were asking the prime has a heat pump and traditional ice heating. The heat pump works okay but is lacking when it gets really cold out. You can always use the ice engine for heating y turning the front defroster on, this forces the engine to turn on. It really cranks out the heat then.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
At my location the snow accumulation this week has reached a solid 14-16 inches, with about half of it coming in blizzard conditions today. At work I was one of the few people who stayed the whole day, one of the other guys was like "hope you have the ground clearance to get out of there" as he was brushing off his truck but I probably had an easier time getting out than he did. Tesla Model 3 performance AWD + Snow tires is magic, it just goes without fuss.

Like I could make my car slip and slide, but it has to be done on purpose. If you just go slow it grips and keeps in a straight line and pushes through the snow.

That being said, I did eat up 8% battery pretty much purely on climate during my very short commute, but the car was toasty warm and the windows were clean, so worth it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Trying to decide on the rav4 prime or something else. I don’t know poo poo about cars, what are the comps at this size? We rented a rav4 ice in Phoenix last month and loved it.

Trying to decide on PHEV or BEV. The most we will go at one time is probably 275 miles. Daily commute is 30 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/HRYS5VWXZts?si=-HOb4IqFzoD952B0

Jason debunks a cybertruck ad