Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the Urusei Yatsura reboot is back for another season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Chained Solider ep2 still fun.

my most anticipated show of the week atm is Sasaki & Peep

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

the first episode of sengoku youko was not terribly interesting

I'll try a few more eps because the source manga was made by the guy who did spirit circle, but i'd prefer they just adapt spirit circle

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
does mizukami have a more passionate fanbase in america compared to japan?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly I think just here since I've never heard of them in casual conversations about anime before, even ones that go into the weeds.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

nah i think he's a cult favorite either way

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

sharkmafia posted:

the first episode of sengoku youko was not terribly interesting

I'll try a few more eps because the source manga was made by the guy who did spirit circle, but i'd prefer they just adapt spirit circle
SY is just a very solid shounen fantasy affair with some solid character work, nothing more or less. It is also annoyingly not going be showing its strongest hand until after maybe a cour so there's a bit of a time investment needed.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly I think just here since I've never heard of them in casual conversations about anime before, even ones that go into the weeds.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of mizukami generally; i just think spirit circle specifically is an incredible manga. very cool worldbuilding and character work, reminds me a lot of cloud atlas or the years of rice and salt

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first episode of bang bravern... kinda ruled?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

metallic rouge was fun. its a bit Bones Original but im glad they still make those

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mostly the first episode of bang bravern made me glad obari still knows how to tell incredibly stupid (but funny) jokes. definitely has the feel of something like dancouga nova where it's probably not gonna be the best thing ever but i like the characters and the insane bullshit that happens

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wouldn't want anything less than insane bullshit from Obari.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

mostly the first episode of bang bravern made me glad obari still knows how to tell incredibly stupid (but funny) jokes. definitely has the feel of something like dancouga nova where it's probably not gonna be the best thing ever but i like the characters and the insane bullshit that happens

Is it in English anywhere?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So The Witch and The Beast is... fun? It's alright. One of these anime that leaves me feeling like, if someone took these bones, tightened it up, polished the animation, this could be great. But as it is I think it's fine. Might stick with it, see where it goes.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

sharkmafia posted:

The first like, three to four episodes [..] the weakest part of the show yeah

After that it'll just keep getting better

reset the clock

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

So The Witch and The Beast is... fun? It's alright. One of these anime that leaves me feeling like, if someone took these bones, tightened it up, polished the animation, this could be great. But as it is I think it's fine. Might stick with it, see where it goes.

yeah i watched about ten minutes of it now and it's not really grabbing me. cool concept but not vibing with it.

feel similarly about delusional monthly magazine - it's got kind of a fun vibe but the humor wasn't really landing for me and the setup is kind of all over the place. by the time the lazy guy turned into an anthropomorphic tiger i was out, but it's not terrible or anything.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The manga is amazing and awesome as hell with some absolutely insane action scenes. That the anime is mediocre is at this point to me not just predictable, but outright expected.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Ok, episode 2 of Instant Death Ability throttled up the chaos way the hell up. I think I'm fully on board for this series now. Suffer not a catgirl.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

doomrider7 posted:

The manga is amazing and awesome as hell with some absolutely insane action scenes. That the anime is mediocre is at this point to me not just predictable, but outright expected.

The manga does rule and I'm so sad it's been on hiatus for like uhhhhhhhhhh a year

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RuBisCO posted:

The manga does rule and I'm so sad it's been on hiatus for like uhhhhhhhhhh a year

Jesus what happened? Hope it's nothing serious.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

doomrider7 posted:

Jesus what happened? Hope it's nothing serious.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-03-23/kosuke-satake-the-witch-and-the-beast-manga-continues-hiatus/.196301

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bummer. Hope they take the time they need to get better.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

SEA service, meaningless to most of us

For once in my life, not me!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ibblebibble posted:

For once in my life, not me!

https://twitter.com/ANIPLUSAsia/status/1745656848999703030?t=oad69fPcJlhjdUCQ8bzjNA&s=19

Do the needful then for the rest of us. It was fun enough without subs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1745856096642781690?t=THWG-yFXEvFirZi1OmFvHg&s=19

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Weird but okay

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Crunchyroll doing something weird with their distribution and promotion of a show? Unprecedented.
Still, I'm happy it's happening and if they're doing two episodes next week then they'll be up to date going forward.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Could have been some red tape or rights weirdness holding it up

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

maybe they also got duped into being uninterested by the promos

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

snack basue is a weird show about people hanging at a bar. was really digging the first half, had a good mix of that sort of fleeting sentimentality of bar conversation and some good comedy. i think i'd have liked it a lot if not for the second half revolving around the world's most insufferable incel guy - the comedy revolving around the hostesses barely being able to disguise their disgust for him is pretty funny but it was still obnoxious having to focus on someone that offputting for like ten minutes.

still thinking i'll give it another ep cause the first half of the ep was really different and fun and see how it lands.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sasaki and Peeps - could you at the absolute minimum have made the coworker girl 19 or something, and not a 16 year old high schooler? I'm sticking with it for now because bird, but with how the two other girls that appeared this episode look, I'm afraid it'll just go downhill from here.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Uphill

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Pon no Michi is cute and fun. The first episode also has a part that's just back to back references to well known mahjong manga like Akagi and Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku. There's little depth or stakes it seems, so it's closer to a CGDCT series with Mahjong, but the characters aren't as moe. The second episode basically brings in their version of Mugi.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cute girls doing cute things, or as i like to call it, women existing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i feel negative about it after 2 episodes. the script seems pretty bad. doesn't feel like it quite "gets" slice of life shows, as someone who's watched dozens of these this one feels really off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The SEA subtitles for Bravern are out if you go searching. It's kind of a blast.

Literally pumping the theme song into the cockpit while he's trying to pilot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 13, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

i feel negative about it after 2 episodes. the script seems pretty bad. doesn't feel like it quite "gets" slice of life shows, as someone who's watched dozens of these this one feels really off.

yeah i agree with this 100%

wasn't feeling it this episode so i dropped it

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

nielsm posted:

Sasaki and Peeps - could you at the absolute minimum have made the coworker girl 19 or something, and not a 16 year old high schooler? I'm sticking with it for now because bird, but with how the two other girls that appeared this episode look, I'm afraid it'll just go downhill from here.

lol at the age

i gave up on it mid ep because i realized it wasn't doing much fun with the premise. after 50 minutes i think im owed some vague stakes to care about. trying to figure out how to hide both sides of his life could have been interesting but despite how much stuff happened it felt like none of it was worth caring about

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The SEA subtitles for Bravern are out if you go searching. It's kind of a blast.

Literally pumping the theme song into the cockpit while he's trying to pilot.

trombe.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

nielsm posted:

I decided to look up the cast list, and no wonder the bird's voice is familiar. It's Aoi Yuki. Oh and the coworker is Rieri