Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I look forward to running nothing but blocks of 10 halberdiers with 2 6-man handgunner detachments flanking them as all of my core slots, like the good old days of 6e

The rest of the points go to cannons and a stank :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I need to stop tinkering with that list builder because I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Tzeentch warriors of chaos army.

I've been intending to build them as a second army once my Empire is up and running, but the availability of the newer warrior models is getting to me. I know better, but I have a fun demon prince build in mind and it really isn't that many models and

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How many chaos warriors could you need anyway?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

How many chaos warriors could you need anyway?

Like 20 going by my experience.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two blocks of 15 will fill your core requirements at 2000 points. Then everything else is the fun stuff.

Unless you're taking marauders they're a really elite army. I think the 2000 point list I'm tinkering with is like 45 models. It does involve a 475 point demon prince though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've always been a marauder apologist in 6th edition because regular chaos warriors on foot were not efficient at all, I wonder what the meta will be in ToW.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If only Marauders weren't so expensive.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've spent the afternoon looking at all the cool gobbo stuff that's come out for AoS in the years that I wasn't paying attention. Seems like it is super easy to get hero characters now, and my god the Wolf Riders got a nice re-do. As did everything to do with squigs. I was less enchanted by some of the newer orcs though. They look quite LoTR, and not at all O&G.

It's also a bit of a bummer that you can't get an arachnarok and a giant in the same 2,000 point army. But to be fair, that is kind of wanting the moon on a stick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh I didn't realize Volley Fire was a thing in 8th; I literally played 1 game of it with Warriors of Chaos so shooting was uhh...not a priority.

Yeah that's fair enough and 8th is the only edition I ever played. But the key thing is, they let you fire with two ranks, and it looks like TOW only lets you fire with one. That is going to have significant consequences for how you do shooting units. The points cost for skeleton archers have not come down so if your little 10 guy units only get five shots at BS3 hitting on 4+ wounding on 4+ and then the target gets armour save and maybe a ward save, they're effectively useless. You'll be lucky to do one wound a game. Even with all ten shots they were pretty shite.

Have any of the game review/reports mentioned what unit musicians do in this edition? In 8th they just gave a Ld. test to make a swift reform instead of a regular one in the remaining moves phase, swift allowing you to still move & shoot (at -1) vs. regular preventing you from moving or shooting. Which is maybe more important of a factor when you want to get all your dudes spread out in a line to get some shooting done in this edition.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Leperflesh posted:

Have any of the game review/reports mentioned what unit musicians do in this edition? In 8th they just gave a Ld. test to make a swift reform instead of a regular one in the remaining moves phase, swift allowing you to still move & shoot (at -1) vs. regular preventing you from moving or shooting. Which is maybe more important of a factor when you want to get all your dudes spread out in a line to get some shooting done in this edition.

Musicians win draws in combat by 1, so occasionally you’ll get lucky and drive off a monster/chariot that flubs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

...but only if the other side doesn't have a musician? So they have like a literal sound-off to see who has the best horn chops if the battle is too close to call

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Musicians do a few things:
"Onwards to Victory!" - a unit with a musician wins ties after all other results have been calculated, but only if the opposing side does not have a musician. They basically drown each other out.
Steadying Rhythm - a unit with a musician gets +1 to their leadership when attempting to rally
Quick Time - If a unit with a musician tries to march while within 8" of an enemy unit they get +1 to their leadership when testing to see if they can

I guess if you're undead only the tiebreaking effect matters.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If people are looking for a cheaper alternative to GW models, Highlands Miniatures actually has pretty decent sculpts that I think capture a lot of the charm of the GW models. https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Highlandsminis

You can get the STLs, or you can get people to print them for you via Etsy. It won't be cheap since you'll need so many models, but it will be less expensive than GW.

They currently offer models for Tomb Kings, Orcs, Goblins, Vampire Counts, Brettonia, Dwarfs, and Empire.

They're the most GW-like of the alternative sculpts I've seen out there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Musicians do a few things:
"Onwards to Victory!" - a unit with a musician wins ties after all other results have been calculated, but only if the opposing side does not have a musician. They basically drown each other out.
Steadying Rhythm - a unit with a musician gets +1 to their leadership when attempting to rally
Quick Time - If a unit with a musician tries to march while within 8" of an enemy unit they get +1 to their leadership when testing to see if they can

I guess if you're undead only the tiebreaking effect matters.

And yet the musician still costs the same for an upgrade I bet. :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've spent the afternoon looking at all the cool gobbo stuff that's come out for AoS in the years that I wasn't paying attention. Seems like it is super easy to get hero characters now, and my god the Wolf Riders got a nice re-do. As did everything to do with squigs. I was less enchanted by some of the newer orcs though. They look quite LoTR, and not at all O&G.

It's also a bit of a bummer that you can't get an arachnarok and a giant in the same 2,000 point army. But to be fair, that is kind of wanting the moon on a stick.

Aleguzzler gargants are regular giants, and an option in Gloomspite Gitz, the same army as the arachnarok. The official model is the same one as the mancrusher model. They can even still stuff enemies in their pants, and fall over when they die.

Additionally, Sons of Behemat, the all-giant army, has a set of four named mega-gargants (the big giant model), such that every army has a legal mega-gargant ally.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Leperflesh posted:

And yet the musician still costs the same for an upgrade I bet. :(

You don't have to take full command in every unit, so it's just a savings really.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You don't have to take full command in every unit, so it's just a savings really.
But a skeleton unit without one of them inexplicably blowing a horn is a shameful skeleton unit.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Well, obviously. You won't catch my Beastmen without musical accompaniment!

But I think pure optimization is a miserable way to think about games as your only lens, so I am excited to make poor choices.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

Aleguzzler gargants are regular giants, and an option in Gloomspite Gitz, the same army as the arachnarok. The official model is the same one as the mancrusher model. They can even still stuff enemies in their pants, and fall over when they die.

Additionally, Sons of Behemat, the all-giant army, has a set of four named mega-gargants (the big giant model), such that every army has a legal mega-gargant ally.

Think they are talking about taking them together in an old world list.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Think they are talking about taking them together in an old world list.

oooh, thought LJS was still talking about AOS there. although they do, in fact, get several moons on sticks

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Armour Bane and AP are a nice way to make lower strength weapons be effective in mass fire. Again, didn't play 7th or 8th so I don't know where the game ended up but bows (even longbows) always felt kind of pointless when tons of stuff had T4 or higher.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Lord_Hambrose posted:

But I think pure optimization is a miserable way to think about games as your only lens, so I am excited to make poor choices.

This is the truth

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Well, obviously. You won't catch my Beastmen without musical accompaniment!

it's a 5 point upgrade and somtimes I want to squeeze in a magic item and am looking for five or ten points to drop from a list. I could cut one skeleton, resulting in a unit of 29 instead of 30, but that'll look like rear end when they're ranked up. Or I could drop the almost completely useless musician (when the hell is this unit ever going to tie in a melee, they're going to lose by 5 every time) and still have 30 skeles.

I don't really think of this as optimization although I guess it sorta is

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that's fair enough and 8th is the only edition I ever played. But the key thing is, they let you fire with two ranks, and it looks like TOW only lets you fire with one. That is going to have significant consequences for how you do shooting units. The points cost for skeleton archers have not come down so if your little 10 guy units only get five shots at BS3 hitting on 4+ wounding on 4+ and then the target gets armour save and maybe a ward save, they're effectively useless. You'll be lucky to do one wound a game. Even with all ten shots they were pretty shite.

You can shoot with 2 ranks if you're on a hill, which is how WFB did it from 4th-7th edition. Generally you're going to park archers and such on hills, so you'll get that bonus rank anyway, which is effectively the same as how 8th handled it with the front 2 ranks being able to shoot all the time. In 8th, only bows and longbows had volley fire anyway and in TOW those plus warbows have it, so it wasn't like Dwarfs were volley firing handguns or anything. Basically, this is how WFB did it for ages and it was fine then so I'm sure it'll be fine now. Park on a hill.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 12, 2024

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna need some more hills

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Get a foam cutter, homie. For real though, I'm wondering if GW is gonna re-issue any of the old terrain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh for sure I can make hills. I think I have a couple already. Just gotta add it to the laundry list of things to do, y'know?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Oh yeah. I've got a couple I made a while back but I've got a 6x4 sheet of foam in the garage that I'm planning on using for that, too.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The warcomm shooting phase said that shooting is only front rank unless you have Volley Fire or are on a hill and all bows so far have Volley Fire rule. I may have missed something as I only watched one Tabletop Tactics battle report but the skellies were definitely shooting more than front rank.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

I need to stop tinkering with that list builder because I am so close to pulling the trigger on a Tzeentch warriors of chaos army.

I've been intending to build them as a second army once my Empire is up and running, but the availability of the newer warrior models is getting to me. I know better, but I have a fun demon prince build in mind and it really isn't that many models and

Do it. The new warrior models are really cool looking, have lots of neat options in shield, helmet and weapon designs, and are a delight to build and paint.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Leperflesh posted:

oh for sure I can make hills. I think I have a couple already. Just gotta add it to the laundry list of things to do, y'know?

Some quick and easy hills can be made by flocking the vacuum-formed plastic hills that Amera Plastic Mouldings makes if getting foam and cutting it up is too much of a hassle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren: SQUIG HERDS ARE CORE :siren:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Some quick and easy hills can be made by flocking the vacuum-formed plastic hills that Amera Plastic Mouldings makes if getting foam and cutting it up is too much of a hassle.

yeah no I have shitloads of foam and materials and an equipped woodshop and my wife has a prusa sk3+, I'm set for "stuff to make hills" I just like: have to tear down the patio roof and insulate the garage and rewire the house and get the cats to the vet and help my mother in law move back into her condo and sew up this hole in my sweater's elbow and finish playing baldurs gate 3 and reorganize the closet and update the declarations on my earthquake insurance policy and rebalance my investment portfolio and call my dad

you know, it's just another thing to do "make hills" "deal with your house you idiot" "be a decent person" "invade the lands of the living with a neverending tide of skeletal death"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was looking around at tomb kings proxy models for 3d printing and found this
https://www.lostkingdomminiatures.com/en/30-undying-dynasties
which just has some astonishingly good models, and there's stores on etsy selling them as good quality resin prints if you don't wanna do it yourself, at prices well below GW for stuff that's just categorically better. Gosh.

look at this fuckin' catapult holy moly

I do not need more poo poo to paint but goddamn imagine if GW made models with this much character, sense of movement, attention to detail, anatomical realism, etc. and sold them for https://www.etsy.com/listing/1439951030/artifact-catapult-lost-kingdom thirty five bucks plus shipping for high quality resin

e. oh yeah this store has some amazing lizardmen guys too

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 13, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The old world has inspired me to actually sort out the mess of half painted high elves I own.

Finally stripped off the paint from many years ago and repainted my bolt thrower and crew along with a test basing scheme. Aiming to do an escalation league at my local gaming group and use that as motivation to get my minis all nice.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Fair enough, that chameleon hero is fantastic. He will gently caress you up and then change colours to celebrate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Leperflesh posted:

I was looking around at tomb kings proxy models for 3d printing and found this

Lost Kingdom has fantastically good models indeed, although a tad too busy for my taste. Their Chaos Dwarfs are really really good tho.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

hooman posted:

The old world has inspired me to actually sort out the mess of half painted high elves I own.

Finally stripped off the paint from many years ago and repainted my bolt thrower and crew along with a test basing scheme. Aiming to do an escalation league at my local gaming group and use that as motivation to get my minis all nice.

Get some bow strings on that bad boy! easiest way to glow up bow units

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Alright nerds, what's the best chaos related novel black library's got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

Alright nerds, what's the best chaos related novel black library's got?

Have you read Riders of the Dead? It's an old Dan Abnett book about two men who take part in a battle against a chaos warband and become separated. One is taken in by a kislevite cavalry unit while the other is captured. I think it recently got reprinted after winning a vote or something. It's definitely worth your time, but it's not purely about chaos if that's what you're looking for.