Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's genuinely my favorite thing he's ever written, but it is wholly committed to that mannered semi-archaic style of writing all the way through, so if you can't stomach that then it's pretty rough.

Honestly the best part of the Baroque Cycle is that completely separate novella nestled in the second book about Shaftoe getting marooned. It's like a chill, refreshing break from everything else, you can just focus on this one character and this one linear plotline and it actually has a resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kagrenak posted:

and then in the last act he just takes it completely off the loving rails.

Neal Stephenson is famous for being completely unable to write endings.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
The one bit that sticks with me from my aborted attempt to read the Baroque Cycle is the scene with one character entering a basement littered with rats dead of the Plague. All of the fleas abandoning the rat corpses tik-tik-tiking against his thigh-high leather riding boots was just... :stonk:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Neal Stephenson is a weirdo with weirdo beliefs, but I guess that makes his books fascinating.

Anathem going off the rails hard is foreshadowed many times during the book. It's like how Iain Banks' Matter gets taken over by a different plot smashing into the original plot like a freight train annihilating a Mercedes sprinter stuck at the railway crossing. It's honestly kind of glorious how hard it goes.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Antigravitas posted:

Anathem going off the rails hard is foreshadowed many times during the book.

Yeah honestly for me the end just felt not so much like a twist but tying everything together. There was a few things that were mentioned more than once in the book that just felt extremely chekhov's gun'ish. Felt like an actual good ending for him.

But yeah Diamond ages ending felt a bit scattered. Most of the book is great though. Snow crashes end is great in just insanely quickly it wraps up. If you weren't aware of Stephenson sucking at writing endings you'd think it was just more 80's action movie satire or something.

"The Villains dead now? Um cool, yeah we can probably just cut to credits here then, whatever." (this isn't a Snow crash spoiler, just a spoiler for 80's action movies in general. If you haven't seen every 80's action movie ever made don't read!!!)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dr_rat posted:

"The Villains dead now? Um cool, yeah we can probably just cut to credits here then, whatever." (this isn't a Snow crash spoiler, just a spoiler for 80's action movies in general. If you haven't seen every 80's action movie ever made don't read!!!)

(The gif cuts a bit short but yes the freeze frame is the end of the movie)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

(The gif cuts a bit short but yes the freeze frame is the end of the movie)

Hey not quite the end! They did have that title card saying the hero turned himself in to the police for, you know, all the bad guys he killed and got a life sentence or something.

Absolutely perfect.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Romantic comedies from the 1930s can be incredible when the credits are frontloaded and the reel immediately stops during the Final Earned Kiss. Got what you came here for, now piss off

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

withak posted:

Neal Stephenson is famous for being completely unable to write endings.

and women

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: Wrong thread

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 12, 2024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
New tech nightmare just dropped: a student of mine apparently decided all his locks should be replaced with electric Internet of Things locks. Well, turns out the batteries in those things don't stand up very well to -40, and will lock you out of the house with a life-threatening windchill. Luckily he was inside the house to mend it, while his wife was stuck outside.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PT6A posted:

New tech nightmare just dropped: a student of mine apparently decided all his locks should be replaced with electric Internet of Things locks. Well, turns out the batteries in those things don't stand up very well to -40, and will lock you out of the house with a life-threatening windchill. Luckily he was inside the house to mend it, while his wife was stuck outside.

Tech nightmare, or an attempted spouse murder? You decide.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
A happy accident

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

PT6A posted:

Do the IoT door locks not come with like, physical keys anymore? A battery powered door lock that doesn't have a physical key to override sounds like just about the stupidest thing on earth and / or there's probably a profoundly stupid way to bypass it or slip the latch.

Though on the flipside, maybe lockpickinglawyer or Deviant Ollam have a fun way to bypass them. Any time door / lock security comes up I always go back and watch this. https://youtu.be/cbgHZgO6wiE?si=n6sk7N28z2O_X3wG

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DeathSandwich posted:

Do the IoT door locks not come with like, physical keys anymore? A battery powered door lock that doesn't have a physical key to override sounds like just about the stupidest thing on earth and / or there's probably a profoundly stupid way to bypass it or slip the latch.

Though on the flipside, maybe lockpickinglawyer or Deviant Ollam have a fun way to bypass them. Any time door / lock security comes up I always go back and watch this. https://youtu.be/cbgHZgO6wiE?si=n6sk7N28z2O_X3wG

The outdoor ones I have witnessed have a key which is essential to the lock, because turning the key gives the lock the necessary electricity via dynamo. Probably because I have seen them in Finland, so frost proof is a necessity. I haven't found out what the smart lock part of it is but I assume that the key has a similar chip to what car ignition uses.

For sure there are more advanced locks than that but I haven't seen in wild any that didn't accept a physical key, at least not on outside doors.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 12, 2024

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DeathSandwich posted:

If you have to carry a key anyway, there's precious little point to having an IoT lock, so it doesn't really avoid that situation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

DeathSandwich posted:

Saw a post the other day where about how a lot of managed buildings in NYC are starting to do iot only entry unlocked via an app. I forgot where I read it but the locks have physical key slots but for whatever reason the property managers are opting to go app only and don’t pay extra/order the keys.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Saw a post the other day where about how a lot of managed buildings in NYC are starting to do iot only entry unlocked via an app. I forgot where I read it but the locks have physical key slots but for whatever reason the property managers are opting to go app only and don’t pay extra/order the keys.

Are you really unsure of why a landlord would go app-only for locks that they have remote control over?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

-40 C or F?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

huh somehow i have never notice the zebra dick before.

Tech Nightmares 6: somehow i have never notice the zebra dick before

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

Yes.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow, because breaking my phone won't be a huge headache already.

Edit: and hope you don't run out of battery!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Baroque Cycle had a satisfying ending.

Except for Leibniz, but... *gestures at recorded history*

I hate read the last book just to say to myself that I finished the whole thing. Baroque Cycle is when he fired the one editor who got him to pare poo poo down, and good lord does that show.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

OddObserver posted:

Wow, because breaking my phone won't be a huge headache already.

Edit: and hope you don't run out of battery!

Locked out/in every time us-east-1 fails.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sinky posted:

Locked out/in every time us-east-1 fails.

Don't worry that's in the cloud, it never fails

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

Yes. :haw:

Anyone who lives in a cold place for long enough has learned this particular factoid! :suicidebyfreezing:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

Maths have taught me that this is the intersection of reported C and F :science:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Happy layoff season to all who celebrate

https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/1745905137128980807

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PT6A posted:

If you have to carry a key anyway, there's precious little point to having an IoT lock, so it doesn't really avoid that situation.

You hide the key in a fake rock or bury it or whatever, it's there for emergencies. We have keypad locks and it's great - back in my less fatass days it was really nice to be able to go for a run and not have to worry about carrying a key.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

−40 °D, hotter than the boiling point of water.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

-40 C or F?

-40 K

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Negative temperatures in Kelvin are actually super hot.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Zachack posted:

You hide the key in a fake rock or bury it or whatever, it's there for emergencies. We have keypad locks and it's great - back in my less fatass days it was really nice to be able to go for a run and not have to worry about carrying a key.

I've stayed in a few airbnbs with keypad locks and they're fantastic if you're with a group of friends out partying. Theres no debate over who gets the one or two keys on a night out, theres no someone arriving home early and using the one key and then falling asleep, theres no someone losing their key and being locked out at 4am etc. People are just free to arrive home by themselves whenever they want, it should be the norm.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Blut posted:

I've stayed in a few airbnbs

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Zachack posted:

You hide the key in a fake rock or bury it or whatever, it's there for emergencies.

Maybe don't bury anything that you hope to retrieve in -40 Celsius with no guarantee of having access to tools.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Maybe don't live in places that go down to -40, that seems like a very unwise decision to me

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BabyFur Denny posted:

Maybe don't live in places that go down to -40, that seems like a very unwise decision to me

I feel the opposite

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

BabyFur Denny posted:

How far did Texas go down that one time?
Because if Texas gets to count as being too cold to live in, I'm not sure where you want people to go. Florida maybe?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SerthVarnee posted:

How far did Texas go down that one time?
Because if Texas gets to count as being too cold to live in, I'm not sure where you want people to go. Florida maybe?

Texas just built a power grid that was independent of the rest of the country (so they don’t have to follow evil government regulations) and also is specifically built not to deal well with freezing temperatures because the dumbass randian energy market they constructed made it so power plants made a years’ worth of profits in a day when half of them shut off because they were designed not to function in the cold. Federal regulations would have prohibited that, you see.

and also because they’re disconnected from the rest of the country to avoid federal oversight they couldn’t just ask a neighbor for some electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Amazon Is Selling Products With AI-Generated Names Like "I Cannot Fulfill This Request It Goes Against OpenAI Use Policy"

https://futurism.com/amazon-products-ai-generated