Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
What if the magic worked so that the ball flew around erratically after you shot it, and everybody had jet packs, and the opposing point guard was trying to catch the ball before it went in the hoop, and if he did then the quarter was over, and the other beefier players were fighting each other over a bigger heavier ball trying to get that ball in the hoop while also trying to prevent the point guard from catching the magic ball. And if the big ball went in the hoop it was 2 or 3 points but if the magic ball went in it was 100 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quizzlefish posted:

NBA athletes are absolutely not the best. They are just the tallest. In a contest of raw athletics like running (any distance) or jumping, they would not beat top athletes from sports with a bigger talent pool (i.e. more widely played globally, with no height restrictions).

They are obviously totally amazing, but c'mon

They're the best and it's not particularly close.

What you're referring to is sport specific training. There's a reason why Usain Bolt doesn't run marathons. He hasn't conditioned himself to use his oxidative system, like most sprinters. Same applies to high jumpers, long jumpers, hurdles, etc. The people who can jump out of the gym at the Olympics specifically train to do so. It's a different physical motion than playing basketball even though the outcome is the same.

You're also comparing apples to oranges. Sprinters are typically shorter which makes tall guys like Bolt remarkable in the sport. They may be built better to increase the amount of times their feet touch the track, but they can't transition into basketball. It's again why sprinters typically flame out when they're drafted by NFL teams. Completely different monster. They're usually not even the fastest on field guys because WRs require agility and the ability to cut, two things which aren't needed in a 100m.

The body control and athleticism required to be a NBA athlete is absurd. You're talking about guys who have to repeatedly run and jump for 42 minutes a game. I imagine that raw power could translate pretty well into running at any distance, or jumping, if they specifically trained for it. There is no way Giannis/Wemby/Any tall guy isn't the best athlete in the world. The requirement to put those body types in the air or have the agility to cover on defense is unrivaled in sports.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Quizzlefish posted:

NBA athletes are absolutely not the best. They are just the tallest. In a contest of raw athletics like running (any distance) or jumping, they would not beat top athletes from sports with a bigger talent pool (i.e. more widely played globally, with no height restrictions).

They are obviously totally amazing, but c'mon

There are plenty of very tall people who never get close to professional basketball, nevertheless the NBA.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

The Maestro posted:

What if the magic worked so that the ball flew around erratically after you shot it, and everybody had jet packs, and the opposing point guard was trying to catch the ball before it went in the hoop, and if he did then the quarter was over, and the other beefier players were fighting each other over a bigger heavier ball trying to get that ball in the hoop while also trying to prevent the point guard from catching the magic ball. And if the big ball went in the hoop it was 2 or 3 points but if the magic ball went in it was 100 points.

The discourse around the WNBA would somehow be even worse than it already is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I think there are like probably football players, and soccer players who could go toe for toe with NBA players level of athleticism.

Like there are a number of NFL Corners who I think are that athletic, or like Defensive ends/edges.

But on the whole, yes. NBA players are obscenely athletic and long, more so than most other athletes.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Players in other sports hardly ever dunk in-game, so gently caress em.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
which sport has the most cognitively athletic people? posting??

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

leftist heap posted:

which sport has the most cognitively athletic people? posting??

Probably Football or Soccer?

Corner is just a completely ridiculous position that people are asked to play. Ditto with QB

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Some professional wrestlers are almost certainly as or more athletic, but the waters are muddied by how many aren't athletic at all, but booked to kick the superhuman's rear end.

"Real" wrestlers (like olympic ones) have to be up there, too. There's basically no comparison for how much of a full body workout it is trying to keep someone pinned that's not following a script and doesn't want to be. I've been in a couple of fights where I had to keep another guy pinned or risk permanent bodily harm, and for like a week after it felt like I had bench-pressed a car. Nothing, and I mean nothing I have lived through has made my whole body ache that way. I would fully believe that whoever is the olympic gold medalist mat wrestler is the most athletic person on the planet. Because they managed to beat the second best guy at that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

Probably Football or Soccer?

Corner is just a completely ridiculous position that people are asked to play. Ditto with QB

And Oline. I watched football with a former D1 O-lineman and the poo poo he was able to call out was ridiculous. "They're going to run a screen in the next couple plays", "This will be a slant pass", "They're waiting for the chance to take advantage of that safety deep", and it was all spot on.

At sports IQ I wouldn't count out basketball, but yeah I think some of the skill positions in football or maybe soccer are the highest.

Baseball is probably lowest. Fight me.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Waterpolo is wrestling, but in a pool, and it's also basketball. You know who else was probably a pretty good waterpolo player, that's right, the Most Valuable Player in the National Basketball Association!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Isn't the story Tim Duncan never even touched a basketball until his late teens but had been training as a competitive swimmer up to that point?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

OzFactor posted:

Waterpolo is wrestling, but in a pool, and it's also basketball. You know who else was probably a pretty good waterpolo player, that's right, the Most Valuable Player in the National Basketball Association!

This is.... A series of excellent points.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/12/24035672/los-angeles-clippers-james-harden-kawhi-leonard

quote:

“Obviously, it didn’t start off well,” Harden said last week. “It gave people so much to talk about in a negative way. And now those people that was talking, they’re nowhere to be found. Like, literally nowhere to be found.

“Communication is unbelievable,” said Harden. “[Lue] allows me to just be free, be who I am. And like I said previously, that’s not just scoring, with me reading defenses, seeing the different games, and putting Kawhi and PG in better positions, in the pick-and-roll with Zu or DT getting easy layups. It’s everything I thought it would be.”

lebron looking across the city wishing this could be him and ty lue

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Maestro posted:

Did you just make a fuckin quidditch joke

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

Did you just make a fuckin quidditch joke

The whole convo really fees like

“I could be in the NBA IF I was 6’6 or had the ability to magically hit every shot. It’s not THAT hard”.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I don't know, I think you guys are thinking everyone is a freak like LeBron, whereas a lot of players are walking around looking like LaMelo. You cannot convince me he works out. In person he looks like a walking stick. I could shove him over. My tiny hobbit hands can fully wrap themselves around his waist.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dexo posted:

I think there are like probably football players, and soccer players who could go toe for toe with NBA players level of athleticism.

Like there are a number of NFL Corners who I think are that athletic, or like Defensive ends/edges.

But on the whole, yes. NBA players are obscenely athletic and long, more so than most other athletes.

If anything there should be an inverse relationship between physical attribute freakyness to natural athletic freakyness in any sport. If the position demands one in a million height it can't demand one in a million athleticism.

The active participants are selected from the chance of attribute times the pool/opportunity out of people to participate.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Mean Baby posted:

The whole convo really fees like

“I could be in the NBA IF I was 6’6 or had the ability to magically hit every shot. It’s not THAT hard”.

Naw, even with that, I would pull a Royce White. Not the "Turn into a CHUD" part, the "Wash out due to psychiatric illness" part.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

nikosoft posted:

I don't know, I think you guys are thinking everyone is a freak like LeBron, whereas a lot of players are walking around looking like LaMelo. You cannot convince me he works out. In person he looks like a walking stick. I could shove him over. My tiny hobbit hands can fully wrap themselves around his waist.

While the NBA is a physical sport, for offensive players appearing too physical is often a detriment. Arenas has talked about how agility and being able to draw fouls is far more important for perimeter offensive players.

Scoot deals with this a bit. He gets called for a lot of fouls due to him being able to bully people physically.

In other words, the NBA is soft.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
what if bugbears were real and were allowed to declare for the NBA draft

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

If youre 5’10 and not that quick and we take shots from the backcourt off the table I think NBA defenses might be able to shut you down in terms of preventing you from getting the ball, or from having enough room to take the shot

I guess this is the situation where you say what does "Any shot" mean? If I can hit any shot it includes really dumb stuff like sidearm throws and desperation bullshit that flies up to the rafters.

Considering that D2-3 players I do pickup with can leave me with only YMCA shots as an option, and I'm a goon, the extra attention from NBA defenders either gives you a good amount of FTs or at least the ability to hit dumb poo poo like "throwing the ball over my head while my back is to the basket".

The thought experiment needs more parameters before I'll even let the accountants not destroy the NBA

Stagger_Lee posted:

what if bugbears were real and were allowed to declare for the NBA draft

Given their extended reach ability they are able to make floaters and TIm Duncan backboard bank shots at unprecedented levels. Basically a Jokic revolution

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Veryslightlymad posted:

Some professional wrestlers are almost certainly as or more athletic, but the waters are muddied by how many aren't athletic at all, but booked to kick the superhuman's rear end.

"Real" wrestlers (like olympic ones) have to be up there, too. There's basically no comparison for how much of a full body workout it is trying to keep someone pinned that's not following a script and doesn't want to be. I've been in a couple of fights where I had to keep another guy pinned or risk permanent bodily harm, and for like a week after it felt like I had bench-pressed a car. Nothing, and I mean nothing I have lived through has made my whole body ache that way. I would fully believe that whoever is the olympic gold medalist mat wrestler is the most athletic person on the planet. Because they managed to beat the second best guy at that.

I wrestled for a couple years in high school and can confirm. Nothing else takes you from full excited energy to completely tapped, barely able to move in 10 seconds like it. The guy getting pinned is expending even more energy to get out. Source: I got pinned a lot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nikosoft posted:

The only muscle LaMelo works out is his right foot so he can hit the gas pedal faster

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/statmuse/status/1745893844426571833?s=20

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

We

Are

So

loving

BACK™

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Coby White was probably not even a rotation-level guy just like 2 years ago, this turn around has been absolutely nuts.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
If I had the ability to make every shot I'd make sure to miss a few to keep my overall percentage less than 100% - maybe something reasonable like a few % higher than the best shooters ever.

If JJ Barea could play meaningful minutes than so could I.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'd shoot all my shots granny style and insist any other player could hit 100% too if they weren't scared of looking wussy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

the @twolvesbrazil guy deleted his account after some twitter drama involving him talking to a girl, his wife divorcing him, and the other woman or whatever maybe being a virulent racist? Very milkshake duck.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lockback posted:

the @twolvesbrazil guy deleted his account after some twitter drama involving him talking to a girl, his wife divorcing him, and the other woman or whatever maybe being a virulent racist? Very milkshake duck.

Rip to a real one I guess

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
If Minnesota sports Fandom has taught me anything, it's that the Wolves second round playoff hopes died alongside that account.

I don't know *how*, but I've never needed to understand the past catastrophes either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

If Minnesota sports Fandom has taught me anything, it's that the Wolves second round playoff hopes died alongside that account.

I don't know *how*, but I've never needed to understand the past catastrophes either.

I'm hoping this was early enough to save us. If this happened in May then yeah, we'd be toast.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

one of you must ascend the throne of unhinged sports fandom if u wanna win

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fine, gunna leave this here then

https://twitter.com/katszn_/status/1745556742761525497

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Shear Modulus posted:

I'd shoot all my shots granny style and insist any other player could hit 100% too if they weren't scared of looking wussy

lol nice

I think however you slice it, this magic power would ruin the NBA.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lockback posted:

where am i going to get vaguely offputting gifs now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Do these accounts not know about partisan nationals

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I don’t know how to define best athlete, but I always thought that NBA players were the most freakish athletes in that their body shapes are the most outrageous - tall, skinny, huge wingspans. Compared to a lot of sports, they’re lighter at their heights, so they can jump higher and quicker, they’re more agile. I also think they have to be smarter than most sports because the game is continuous and continually dynamic (although there’s definitely roles where you don’t have to know everything that’s going on in the court).

I knew some oline in (low) D1 college and they were definitely not intelligent. The ballers were all smart though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lockback posted:

lmao