Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Fields has shown less as a passer than Bryce tbh.

if you only watched him in 2021 and ignored the last 2 years, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Fields isn't good and was put in a trash situation

Young was put in a trash situation and may also not be good

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

For as much McDaniel loves speed they should trade Tua for Fields and some picks

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Parallax posted:

For as much McDaniel loves speed they should trade Tua for Fields and some picks

Mamma mia, Fields in Miami…

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Mamma mia, Fields in Miami…

The Dolphins would’ve run 3 plays before Fields got the ball out the first time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Tua's year before McDaniel and Fields this year are pretty similar, stat wise, except for Fields also running for 650 yards

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think Fields throws a great ball and has a good chance to be something once he gets off the team where QBs go to die

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Parallax posted:

Tua's year before McDaniel and Fields this year are pretty similar, stat wise, except for Fields also running for 650 yards

So what you're saying is the Niners should sign Fields as a backup? I'm OK with this.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Fields has enough running talent to absolutely design a good offense around. Bryce has shown nothing capable of designing an offense around in the NFL. The bears have generally agreed poor talent and poor coaching but Fields is still winning games whereas Bryce is....?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fields signs with the Niners, wins MVP as a hybrid RB/QB2.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Fields > Mac has been glaringly obvious to anyone with a pulse, so I’d gladly take the dude in Miami as a prove it deal.

I feel like the system helps QBs and Fields would be no different

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/1/12/24035145/jordan-love-trick-shot-throws-lamar-jackson-patrick-mahomes-packers

Neat writeup on throwing off-platform and how the current generation of star QBs are all very good at it. Also loads of clips.

Couple excerpts:

quote:

[...]

“It’s not exactly the guru type of throwing that we’ve seen from some of these guys who’ve been teaching quarterbacks over the years,” Rodgers said in 2017. “But there’s a few of us in the league who are pretty efficient at it. It involves harnessing your power and offsetting your arm as much as possible.”

Rosen’s style in 2018 was more like “the guru type of throwing” Rodgers was referring to. He didn’t throw off his back foot. He had an over-the-top delivery. And he followed the rules of quarterbacking every time. Rodgers, in his chat with Rosen, described how the changes to his own style of play helped him find success in the NFL—and inadvertently explained why Rosen would go on to fail.

“If I can’t throw the ball in a perfect environment on the money all the time, then I can’t play,” Rodgers said. “Everybody can do that. A lot of my throws, I’m running full speed to evade a 4.6 pass rusher, and at the last second I flip, and I throw it.

“That’s real football.”

[...]

quote:

[...]

The fadeaway throws aren’t just helping him create big plays; they’re also helping him, and quarterbacks around the NFL, avoid negative plays. There’s substance behind the flash.

In the time leading up to Rodgers’s predraft chat with Rosen, he was really the only mobile quarterback who was widely considered elite. Ben Roethlisberger and Tony Romo had similar styles but were never considered to be at that level because of their unconventional approaches. The elite tier was reserved for passers with more classic and consistent throwing motions—like Brady, Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees. With the emergence of Mahomes, Lamar, and Allen—and the success enjoyed by more creative passers like Stafford—that has flipped. Now, the top of the league’s QB hierarchy is occupied, almost exclusively, by rule-breaking quarterbacks.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I've long thought that football should try to recruit more baseball players. Lots of 6'2+ minor leaguers who have amazing arms and are very talented at throwing in weird ways.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

What about basketball players? At the tight end position perhaps?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndrewP posted:

I've long thought that football should try to recruit more baseball players. Lots of 6'2+ minor leaguers who have amazing arms and are very talented at throwing in weird ways.

Mahomes isn't good because he throws the ball weird. He's amazing at not getting sacked. That's carried him his entire career. His throwing form is pretty normal most of the time but people remember the highlight baseball throws he gets off. They're a good asset to have but other QBs do it all the time as well.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

feller posted:

you're insane, it'll never work

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

feller posted:

reminder that Jimmy Graham is catching TDs in TYOOL 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Doltos posted:

Mahomes isn't good because he throws the ball weird. He's amazing at not getting sacked. That's carried him his entire career. His throwing form is pretty normal most of the time but people remember the highlight baseball throws he gets off. They're a good asset to have but other QBs do it all the time as well.

Part of avoiding getting sacked is getting the ball out before you're hit, or sometimes in the midst of being hit. You won't be able to have "proper" throwing form while doing that, for the most part. And if you can still land these weird throws, that's a really good asset to have.

The other way to escape sacks is to hit the jets. But your legs will eventually slow down and abandon you as you get older. Your arm (usually - rip Chad Pennington) won't until the very end of your career.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

imagine what Vick would have been if he hadn't spent the beginning of his career with Jim Mora Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0S1swLGMQ

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

SKULL.GIF posted:

Part of avoiding getting sacked is getting the ball out before you're hit, or sometimes in the midst of being hit. You won't be able to have "proper" throwing form while doing that, for the most part. And if you can still land these weird throws, that's a really good asset to have.

The other way to escape sacks is to hit the jets. But your legs will eventually slow down and abandon you as you get older. Your arm (usually - rip Chad Pennington) won't until the very end of your career.

I mean yea being able to throw while getting hit is fine but that takes a back seat to him dodging everyone behind the LOS and getting off a good ball. It does eventually take a hit to athleticism when you get older but who cares. Right now he's successful because he can run around a lot, not because he side arms throws sometimes.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wasn't just talking about literal arm angles, I'm talking about ability to throw quickly, accurately and hard while on the move. as in that thing infielders do a lot

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

AndrewP posted:

I wasn't just talking about literal arm angles, I'm talking about ability to throw quickly, accurately and hard while on the move. as in that thing infielders do a lot

Mahomes was a pitcher

I guess his brother is a catcher????

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pretty pretty good

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 12, 2024

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Mahomes was a pitcher

I guess his brother is a catcher????

boooo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Jordan Love is a wild case. From the start of the year to the end of the year he had the career arc of a promising rookie QB who grew into a 3rd-year pro who put it all together. All in one season. The flashes were there all along, but the way LaFleur changed the offense to suit Love's talents and limit the negative plays really allowed his QB to flourish.

There are about 8 head coaches who really did a phenomenal job with their teams this year. It's pretty cool to see.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty pretty good

This chart says Derek carr was good and I'm sorry but I have eyes that tell me otherwise.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

really queer Christmas posted:

This chart says Derek carr was good and I'm sorry but I have eyes that tell me otherwise.

Carr is below the line so the chart is correct

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AndrewP posted:

I agree with that but as with all athletes the capability is there it's the talent that's needed. It's pretty different making a throw quickly, accurately, and on the move from short stop without a 330lbs guy about to smear you into the field. They're also throwing at a predetermined target that's clear and obvious, not against NFL coverage schemes.

But the proof is in the pudding with some baseball guys like Russ, Mahomes, and Kyler. All those guys possessed great arm talent and it translated pretty well between baseball and football.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

D. Carr > P. Mahomes

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If the Packers end up with 3 consecutive Hall of Fame quarterbacks then the rest of the NFC North fanbases need to raze Green Bay to the ground and put an end to the madness.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here with Love.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here with Love.

Quarterbacks who have had a statistically comparable season to Love's 2023, ever, in their careers, have at minimum been Pretty Good: https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2024/1/12/24036042/will-jordan-love-sustain-his-excellent-play-or-was-the-second-half-of-2023-a-mirage

The floor appears to be Geno/Tannehill/Jeff Garcia.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Doltos posted:

I agree with that but as with all athletes the capability is there it's the talent that's needed. It's pretty different making a throw quickly, accurately, and on the move from short stop without a 330lbs guy about to smear you into the field. They're also throwing at a predetermined target that's clear and obvious, not against NFL coverage schemes.

But the proof is in the pudding with some baseball guys like Russ, Mahomes, and Kyler. All those guys possessed great arm talent and it translated pretty well between baseball and football.

There is a difference no doubt between hitting a stationary target and a moving one, but in my experience, to the ones who can do it really well, it really doesn't matter. The kid who can who field a ball at short going left and throw a ball back across his body to 1st and hit him in the chest would be able to do it if that 1st baseman was moving down field with him. Whatever that ability is seems to work no matter if the target is moving, they are just able to do it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty pretty good

go cats

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’m not saying every baseball player could play quarterback, I’m just saying that you can’t teach great arm talent and baseball is probably a good place to find it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AndrewP posted:

I’m not saying every baseball player could play quarterback, I’m just saying that you can’t teach great arm talent and baseball is probably a good place to find it.

Jared Lorenzen with a baseball arm maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA311n6O0uM

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
One thing I didn't see in that fadeaway article is the recent trend of underthrowing your receiver and letting them draw contact against a DB who never turns their head. You're seeing it a couple of times a game now where a PI comes from a receiver hitting the breaks and plowing into the DB trying to get a ball that's five yards short and drawing a flag that way. It would make sense that fadeaway throws have less juice on them and unless you're an ~!El1t3 GuN5l1nG3r~! with the laser rocket arm those throws aren't going to get entirely to where you want them to.

I'm sure DBs are going to start adjusting to those underthrows and how they scheme and cover, which will make those fadeaway throws less viable for all but the most cannon-armed. Still, Love's development has been terrifying to see and if GB can put a team around him, it means the Lions' ascent may be a one and done and we'll be back to the natural order of things soon enough.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Defenses always adjust. It just takes a little time for the right coordinator to get the right guys to run their scheme. We've already seen guys taking anyway the shanavay route concepts in Minnesota and Baltimore. it'll spread and offenses will adjust.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pretty pretty good

I was on board with this chart until I saw where Nick Mullens was rated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lmao at the idea of Kenny Pickett as the median QB

If thats your median, boy we're in trouble