Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yah for sure. Better to be that way than overly brusque, I have the time set aside let’s see where things go.

Sometimes it’s nice to not have to be on the fence when making the call :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TraderStav posted:

Greetings resume and interviewing thread friends! After 17 years with my company, I'm most likely accepting a buyout offer that is being made and will need to get back into the market. I've worked with Danny in SA-Mart and have a great resume to work with, which I'll adjust as needed for whatever roles I'm targeting. Haven't put together a cover letter yet, but will work on that later.

Question I have is what is the process/approach to actually apply for jobs in 2024 for a non-tech employee? Last time I applied monster.com was a thing. Is blasting away on LinkedIn jobs effective or a waste of my time? I will be working my network above this, but looking to understand where I should be looking for the day-to-day random firing of applications. My background is in the Energy/Utility industry, but not interested in relocating. Highly focused on Strategy and special projects but also loads of project (field and office) management and execution stuff to boot, if it's relevant.

Appreciate any insight.
Are you based in Ireland or the UK by any chance? I have a contact in SSE looking to hire for his team.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Arquinsiel posted:

Are you based in Ireland or the UK by any chance? I have a contact in SSE looking to hire for his team.

No, I'm a yankee. Thanks for the shout, though!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TraderStav posted:

Greetings resume and interviewing thread friends! After 17 years with my company, I'm most likely accepting a buyout offer that is being made and will need to get back into the market. I've worked with Danny in SA-Mart and have a great resume to work with, which I'll adjust as needed for whatever roles I'm targeting. Haven't put together a cover letter yet, but will work on that later.

Question I have is what is the process/approach to actually apply for jobs in 2024 for a non-tech employee? Last time I applied monster.com was a thing. Is blasting away on LinkedIn jobs effective or a waste of my time? I will be working my network above this, but looking to understand where I should be looking for the day-to-day random firing of applications. My background is in the Energy/Utility industry, but not interested in relocating. Highly focused on Strategy and special projects but also loads of project (field and office) management and execution stuff to boot, if it's relevant.

Appreciate any insight.

17 years in the best way is networking. Everything else is a distant second.

LinkedIn is prob a good idea.

Really, if you’re motivated just apply. Use form filling software like lastpass or chromes built in so you can blast away resumes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

CarForumPoster posted:

17 years in the best way is networking. Everything else is a distant second.

LinkedIn is prob a good idea.

Really, if you’re motivated just apply. Use form filling software like lastpass or chromes built in so you can blast away resumes.

Awesome tips, thanks. I am absolutely going to be leaning heavy into my network, but never like to only do one approach.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Workday does not like autofill or at least my dashlane

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Workday sucks poo poo!!!!

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I usually skip workday applications. Why do I need an account to send an app over?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Blurb3947 posted:

I usually skip workday applications. Why do I need an account to send an app over?

You don’t need an account. You need multiple accounts. :eng101:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

TraderStav posted:

Awesome tips, thanks. I am absolutely going to be leaning heavy into my network, but never like to only do one approach.

Good thinking.

Blurb3947 posted:

Bad thinking, IMO. Applying is a stochastic process. One where big rewards may come from two simultaneous offers. You can shift the curve favorably by applying to jobs that fewer people apply to. Use automation to make the application take almost no time. Spend an hour setting up tools to rapidly apply and you'll increase the probability of an extra $10K+.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
If it helps, it's not so much that Workday is awful as that many HR departments do an rear end job of implementing it. Most of the hoops it forces applicants to jump through can be tweaked or outright disabled.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anecdotes aren't data, but for my 2c when applying over the summer, every single time I had to apply through Workday it was a huge pain in the rear end. Every time.

So maybe it's the users, but maybe it's not...

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I thought that everyone thought workday was poo poo, on account of how lovely it is

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
No one it saying it isn't lovely. It's just it doesn't necessarily have to be. But by default, it is. Which is lovely.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Every SaaS I've ever used has been pretty lovely. Not to say they're all bad, I may have had bad luck :haw:

themaninblack
Aug 14, 2007
So a baby seal walks into a club...

Lockback posted:

Ok, you've kind of over-corrected. You are listing wayyyyy too many certs, volunteer experiences, etc. You've only had 1 job in the last 12 years and never got promoted? I still don't know what your skills are. Any programming skills? You have an AWS cert but have you done anything? This is really heavy on "I check a lot of boxes" but you aren't really saying what you can do at all.

While there are some times you hire someone without any management experience as a manager, but it's very rare and usually some kind of exceptional circumstance. I don't really see that in this resume.

I might have overcorrected, I was aiming for a page. I've actually reduced some certs and volunteer experiences, not sure if you didn't read it that far the first time (wouldn't blame ya) or it just looks like more now that I cut out all but my current job. Should I have older jobs for the sake of having more jobs?

I've been promoted as far as I can working in my sector of government, unless I become an administrator. I'm currently the highest paid non-admin where I work.

I don't really do programming, I work more on the security/infrastructure side of things. I'm not sure how to word it so I'm saying what I can do. I thought I already had since it was implied if I completed those projects I could do the work necessary.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

themaninblack posted:

I might have overcorrected, I was aiming for a page. I've actually reduced some certs and volunteer experiences, not sure if you didn't read it that far the first time (wouldn't blame ya) or it just looks like more now that I cut out all but my current job. Should I have older jobs for the sake of having more jobs?

I've been promoted as far as I can working in my sector of government, unless I become an administrator. I'm currently the highest paid non-admin where I work.

I don't really do programming, I work more on the security/infrastructure side of things. I'm not sure how to word it so I'm saying what I can do. I thought I already had since it was implied if I completed those projects I could do the work necessary.

Can you share types of jobs you think you're qualified for?

I did read the whole thing last time, but this one is just way too tilted on certs/volunteer and not enough on experiences. You current resume shows 0 promotions or job growth, so you should show that. Whether its from the current role or by switching jobs.

Let's not worry so much about 1 vs 2 page. What's important is you are telling a story, and a good story should be no longer than it needs to be. That said, if it needs to be 2 pages, that's fine, but length isn't the biggest issue here.

I think I'm zeroing in on what you're looking for, I'd include a skills section with systems and operations you are familiar with and maybe that's where your ITIL and security certs could go. You want to show some pattern of growth, so go back to old jobs if you need or show your promotions at this place. For now leave your awards and volunteer experience. I think you'll maybe want to pare that back but I don't want you spending time on that yet. Let's get the other stuff in there first.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Forgive the blatant crossposting..

I'm hoping there is a teacher or early childhood teacher around i can bother with this.. This is a paragraph in my cover letter for a job, this is what I want it to say

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I make them feel safe and am fun to play with"

Now how do I say this without sounding like Jared from Subway?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Just got a rejection from a job I applied to in October after months of nothing

:toot:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Just got a rejection from a job I applied to in October after months of nothing

:toot:

You were so close.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Extra row of tits posted:

Forgive the blatant crossposting..

I'm hoping there is a teacher or early childhood teacher around i can bother with this.. This is a paragraph in my cover letter for a job, this is what I want it to say

"I have always had an affinity with children and am able to form a bond with them quite easily. I make them feel safe and am fun to play with"

ChatGPT did a pretty good job:

This is a paragraph in my cover letter for a job, this is what I want it to say

ChatGPT
Certainly, it's important to phrase your statement in a professional and appropriate manner. Here's a revised version:

"I possess a natural rapport with children, establishing connections effortlessly. My ability to create a secure and enjoyable environment ensures that children feel comfortable and engaged in various activities."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So something strange has happened while interviewing for Amazon. I've interviewed for 2 different Senior Program Manager roles in Seattle, and a third Amazon recruiter is contacting me about a third Senior Program Manager role based on passing their assessment (which I'm assuming they can see from the ones I took a month ago for the other two positions?). Thing is, I never applied to this role and it's located in Arizona. They want to set up interviews with me. I can't even read the job description because the link goes to a page saying it doesn't exist. All I can tell is it's a Senior PM for AHS "communications and insights".

I didn't get the first two roles, I was told they went with internal hires.

I'm happy my new resume is getting me interviews for the roles I'm looking for, but not really interested in moving and my Amazon profile even has "not willing to relocate" checked.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mantle posted:

"I possess a natural rapport with children, establishing connections effortlessly. My ability to create a secure and enjoyable environment ensures that children feel comfortable and engaged in various activities."

I'd maybe swap "enjoyable" for "playful" but otherwise that's solid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mustang posted:

So something strange has happened while interviewing for Amazon. I've interviewed for 2 different Senior Program Manager roles in Seattle, and a third Amazon recruiter is contacting me about a third Senior Program Manager role based on passing their assessment (which I'm assuming they can see from the ones I took a month ago for the other two positions?). Thing is, I never applied to this role and it's located in Arizona. They want to set up interviews with me. I can't even read the job description because the link goes to a page saying it doesn't exist. All I can tell is it's a Senior PM for AHS "communications and insights".

I didn't get the first two roles, I was told they went with internal hires.

I'm happy my new resume is getting me interviews for the roles I'm looking for, but not really interested in moving and my Amazon profile even has "not willing to relocate" checked.

Are you sure there isn't a number that would make you move? If there is Amazon might give it to you.

If there isn't a number then ask the recruiter, maybe it says Arizona but they could staff it elsewhere. Amazon is huge so its not like they only hire people in 1 or 2 places.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm going to take the interview and hear them out. Finally got a link that works, interestingly this PM role asks for more experience than the ones I had been applying to, though I meet the requirements for this one too.

It's for sure in Arizona though, the full job description specifically mentions it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Mustang posted:

It's for sure in Arizona though, the full job description specifically mentions it.

That doesn't mean Arizona is the only option. If someone says "Arizona is the only option, Mustang" then that's what it means, but a job description could be incomplete for lot of reasons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If you can apply for a job directly through Indeed (or similar website) and also directly on the company website, what is the better option? One? Both? Does it even matter?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you can apply for a job directly through Indeed (or similar website) and also directly on the company website, what is the better option? One? Both? Does it even matter?

Probably doesn't matter.

I've worked places where it was better on the website, someone here said it was better from indeed, so I suspect it's a crapshoot. I'd suggest only doing it one place though.

Indeed/linkedin/glassdoor it probably doesn't matter, some of the smaller niche sites I'd go on their website.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

I always apply through the company's own site, fwiw

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Mantle posted:

Good stuff

Lockback posted:

Also good stuff

Thank you both, these suggestions were very helpful.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

Probably doesn't matter.

I've worked places where it was better on the website, someone here said it was better from indeed, so I suspect it's a crapshoot. I'd suggest only doing it one place though.

Indeed/linkedin/glassdoor it probably doesn't matter, some of the smaller niche sites I'd go on their website.

+1

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I alluded to this earlier, but I'm considering doing a few precision applications to see if I can improve my station only a short while after finding my footing after a layoff. Mostly it's because the new place isn't great, but I'll find a way to spin it hopefully. Is it better to leave the current job off, or to put it on even if it's not impressive?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magnetic North posted:

I alluded to this earlier, but I'm considering doing a few precision applications to see if I can improve my station only a short while after finding my footing after a layoff. Mostly it's because the new place isn't great, but I'll find a way to spin it hopefully. Is it better to leave the current job off, or to put it on even if it's not impressive?

Most of the time its better to communicate that you're currently employed.

Some exceptions where the answer is nuanced/case-by-case:

- Current job is a major career change that reflects poorly on your prospects for new jobs
- Current job is a significant demotion/backwards slide
- Current job is exceptionally disgraced for some reason that reflects poorly on your character for working there. E.g. Fetal Rights Activist.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 15, 2024

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Lockback posted:

Are you sure there isn't a number that would make you move? If there is Amazon might give it to you.

If there isn't a number then ask the recruiter, maybe it says Arizona but they could staff it elsewhere. Amazon is huge so its not like they only hire people in 1 or 2 places.

Some Amazon groups allow people to work from wherever so long as it’s near any Amazon office. Though you might need to travel to the “main” office on occasion. Depends on the group.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

This is probably a dumb question, but where is the best place to start making my resume? Like, should I maintain a .doc copy that I continually export to PDFs and copy/paste into sites? That's more or less what I've been doing but having to switch between Office versions and even use Google Docs for periods of time have resulted in a .doc file that I haven't wanted to update for years. I don't currently have/can't currently afford an Office subscription, so I'd likely be back to using Docs if I went that route again.
Or should I just put everything on Linkedin or Indeed and have that be the source for my resume?

It'd be nice if I could just put it all into a spreadsheet and have some sort of style sheet that lets me select how it's displayed and what gets displayed so I don't enter the first layer of formatting Hell every time I want to tailor my resume to a job.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

How are the LLMs at generating nice looking resumes? That might be a good start point.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm sure there's others, but I used EarnBetter to convert my resume into AI generated content with a much improved format.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm sure there's others, but I used EarnBetter to convert my resume into AI generated content with a much improved format.

Checking this out now, it seems pretty handy so far, thanks.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

On some applications, there is a question "Do you have a Masters in X, y/n?" I don't, but I do have a Ph.D. in X instead. What should I answer? The technical answer is No and lying is never great, but PhD is a yes for the spirit of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

On some applications, there is a question "Do you have a Masters in X, y/n?" I don't, but I do have a Ph.D. in X instead. What should I answer? The technical answer is No and lying is never great, but PhD is a yes for the spirit of the question.

I'd say yes. As you mentioned the spirit of the question is to inquire whether you have sufficient credentials, and you do. No sane employer is going to dock you for answering yes.

Edit: though if there is a comment field anywhere in the application I guess I'd explain why you selected yes

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 15, 2024