Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

isnt that just a matter of needing stuff to happen in finite time? imo just park in a decaying orbit and let the actual impact happen when it happens
Getting it to an orbit that is influenced by the suns atmosphere enough is most of the way there, and if you are still ok waiting time it's going to linger in the middle of nowhere long enough it's going to smack into Earth or Venus without avoidance burns.

The Parker Solar Probe is the fastest object ever built relative to earth. It's intentionally getting as close to the sun as it can with multiple gravity assists from Venus over years. And it's deemed unlikely to hit the sun before it hits something else. It's a 1500 lb can of instruments sent up on one of the largest rocket platforms available. You're not gonna hit the sun with trash outside of bragging rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

zedprime posted:

Getting it to an orbit that is influenced by the suns atmosphere enough is most of the way there, and if you are still ok waiting time it's going to linger in the middle of nowhere long enough it's going to smack into Earth or Venus without avoidance burns.

The Parker Solar Probe is the fastest object ever built relative to earth. It's intentionally getting as close to the sun as it can with multiple gravity assists from Venus over years. And it's deemed unlikely to hit the sun before it hits something else. It's a 1500 lb can of instruments sent up on one of the largest rocket platforms available. You're not gonna hit the sun with trash outside of bragging rights.

:|

what if just get up real high and drop it

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, the chart doesn't optimize for time at all. It's very much more like an absolute minimum energy expenditure to get there at all, ignoring exceptional gravity assist trickery. For which you'd be using the game's time warp functionality to get things to line up anyway. It reflects reality well enough in that there's no shortcut. You want an orbit that intersects with enough of the sun, you're going to spend the bulk of that delta v one way or another.

The real infinite time hack is waiting for the sun to expand around it, probably.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

:|

what if just get up real high and drop it

Flipperwaldt posted:

The real infinite time hack is waiting for the sun to expand around it, probably.
We are already all trash that has been dropped into the sun, waiting for it to meet us.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's the most poetically self-loathing thing I've read all week

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
We are all star dust

Doomed to be star trash

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

earth is going around the sun at 100,000 km/h so that's your initial velocity. all you need to do is point in the opposite direction and accelerate at 3g for 17 minutes, and then your velocity relative to the sun is 0, and you'll fall in. this doesn't seem particularly hard to me. bing bang boom

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I would just point at the sun and not stop thrusting how hard could it be

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

earth is going around the sun at 100,000 km/h so that's your initial velocity. all you need to do is point in the opposite direction and accelerate at 3g for 17 minutes, and then your velocity relative to the sun is 0, and you'll fall in. this doesn't seem particularly hard to me. bing bang boom

It’s this.

“Landing” on the Sun, i.e. reaching it surface with negligible velocity, would be expensive. Falling into the Sun at high speed is not particularly expensive.

You’d need Δv of about thirty kilometres per second to do it directly from Earth orbit. You could do it for less by kicking to a large elliptical orbit and nulling orbital velocity at aphelion, the orbit’s point furthest from the Sun.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DarkHorse posted:

I would just point at the sun and not stop thrusting how hard could it be

Its not that easy, you have to thrust at where the sun was 8 minutes ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Story of my dating life :sigh:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SiKboy posted:

Its not that easy, you have to thrust at where the sun was 8 minutes ago.

So you just aim 48 degrees counterclockwise? Easy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Platystemon posted:

You’d need Δv of about thirty kilometres per second to do it directly from Earth orbit. You could do it for less by kicking to a large elliptical orbit and nulling orbital velocity at aphelion, the orbit’s point furthest from the Sun.

If you cancelled 30kps of earth's orbital velocity you'd still be faster than mercury's orbital velocity. You have to have more go juice than 30kps if you want to hit the sun.

Baring of course gravity assists from other bodies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh? Why would Mercury's orbital velocity enter into it? Our goal here is launching from Earth and falling into the sun. All you have to do is cancel out Earth's orbital velocity and then gravity pulls you straight in.

Mercury orbits faster than earth, yes, but we're not moving from one orbit to another, we're just stopping in space and falling into the sun.

Either you're confused or I am.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Huh? Why would Mercury's orbital velocity enter into it?

Because if you're moving from one orbit to another and you're still going faster than something else that is orbiting you're not going to magically somehow stop orbiting.

I wasn't responding to your post, cause you are correct. If you fully cancelled earth's orbital velocity and just left the vessel sit there it'd eventually fall into the sun. The person I was responding to was claiming with 30kps deltaV you could do it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC 30 kps is about right between Oberth BS and where you would recognize the suns plasma being part of the sun. Remember you're elliptical going Mercury speeds too after your burn so the geometry will be different.

For reference you can cya later shitlords for 16kps.

There is a theoretical 9kps double transfer path to the sun from earth but you are likely to be eaten by a planet on the way because n body calculations are hard.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

zedprime posted:

There is a theoretical 9kps double transfer path to the sun from earth but you are likely to be eaten by a planet on the way because n body calculations are hard.

Step 3: Concern

quote:

Oh Christ sometimes there are more than two dots.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Good luck doing anything, anything at all in space travel that isn't moving from one orbit to another.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CainFortea posted:

If you cancelled 30kps of earth's orbital velocity you'd still be faster than mercury's orbital velocity. You have to have more go juice than 30kps if you want to hit the sun.

Let’s do this from numbers I remember in case Wikipedia is lying right now.

The Earth traverses a roughly circular orbit with radius of eight and one‐third light‐minutes in a period slightly more than three hundred and sixty‐five days.

(8×60+20) × c × 2 × π ÷ (86400 × 365.25) ≈ 29 845 m∕s

Thirty kilometres per second is right.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Wait
Urghh
So are we stuck on the surface of the earth because gravity pulls us there but also because... we're already travelling in that direction, along with the earth... and it's hard to change direction? Like if the earth disappeared would we keep going because aaa;d'sd'klasfas;djfd;kadsjff

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tree Bucket posted:

Wait
Urghh
So are we stuck on the surface of the earth because gravity pulls us there but also because... we're already travelling in that direction, along with the earth... and it's hard to change direction? Like if the earth disappeared would we keep going because aaa;d'sd'klasfas;djfd;kadsjff

We would indeed keep going around the sun, in the same orbit as the Earth was, and also our cold, stiff corpses would slowly congregate somewhere around where the center of the planet was, since we'd attract each other. A sexy though, isn't it? An ice cold, massive heap of dead meat orbiting the Sun.

What would happen to the Moon, though? Presumably it would immediately escape in the direction it was going, and eventually find some new interesting orbit around the Sun or some different planet?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We would indeed keep going around the sun, in the same orbit as the Earth was, and also our cold, stiff corpses would slowly congregate somewhere around where the center of the planet was, since we'd attract each other. A sexy though, isn't it? An ice cold, massive heap of dead meat orbiting the Sun.

What would happen to the Moon, though? Presumably it would immediately escape in the direction it was going, and eventually find some new interesting orbit around the Sun or some different planet?
The moon would stay in earth's orbit around the sun +-whocares depending on its current orbital velocity when the earth disappeared and if this is some weird sci-fi horror story, it would be the most likely gravitation center that would attract our corpses as they rain down over unwatched aeons.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Moon is basically doing a corkscrew twirl around the Sun right now, iirc if the Earth vanished the Moon would basically keep the same minimum and maximum distance from the Sun, but they'd be at the furthest points of its yearly orbit rather than it swinging back and forth monthly.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Ah, thanks for correcting my misguided notions about how gravity works.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

An ice cold, massive heap of dead meat orbiting the Sun.

This could be a thread title for something.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Moon’s orbital radius and speed around the Earth hardly register on the scale of Earth’s orbit around the Sun. If the Earth and its gravitational influence disappeared, the Moon would effectively just take over the Earth’s orbit.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Evangelion alternate ending: everyone in the world suffocates and gravitates to the moon, splattering its surface in frozen giblets.

How many millimeters of corpse-sludge would then be covering the Moon’s surface?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Evangelion alternate ending: everyone in the world suffocates and gravitates to the moon, splattering its surface in frozen giblets.

How many millimeters of corpse-sludge would then be covering the Moon’s surface?

Since the moon has no atmosphere, part of it would sublimate and disappear into space, making this calculation trickier than you think.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t know what the population is supposed to be in Evangelion, but assuming that it’s the same as today, the answer is a film fourteenth thousandths of one millimetre deep.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=volume+of+human+body+*+8+billion+%2F+%28surface+area+of+Moon%29

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Byzantine posted:

The Moon is basically doing a corkscrew twirl around the Sun right now, iirc if the Earth vanished the Moon would basically keep the same minimum and maximum distance from the Sun, but they'd be at the furthest points of its yearly orbit rather than it swinging back and forth monthly.

I don't think this is true. Assuming perfectly circular orbits, if the earth vanished while the moon was at its furthest point from the sun and moving at its fastest relative to the sun...

code:
                                          ^
                                ^         |
                                |         |
S                               E         M

Then the moon would be in a new perihelion and have a new aphelion farther from the sun than it currently ever is.

And if the earth vanished while the moon was between it and the sun, while the moon was moving at its slowest relative to the sun, that would be its new aphelion instead.

That said, Platystemon's probably right and the actual difference would be negligible compared to the average ~150million km distance to the sun.

dublish has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Jan 13, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know what the population is supposed to be in Evangelion, but assuming that it’s the same as today, the answer is a film fourteenth thousandths of one millimetre deep.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=volume+of+human+body+*+8+billion+%2F+%28surface+area+of+Moon%29

Yeah the total volume of humans on earth is really not that large.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Sagebrush posted:

If you look at the chart of evolution, you got like single cell organisms over here, then fish, then walking on land, then you know, walking upright, and if you were to look ahead three or four steps you would see something like this.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

It’s not, but we’re dunking on all wild mammals.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s not, but we’re dunking on all wild mammals.

And if we zoom out a bit more...

Llamadeus has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Jan 14, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Emptyquoting a great chart

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Chaotic Neutral seems like the most evil of them all??

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Lol - when I first moved in with my gf/now wife, we had a neutral good situation.

Guess which side was mine.

To be fair, it was a queen bed in a pretty small room. That side shuffle to get up or go pee in the middle for the night was a pain.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this seems meaningless unless you know where the doors and windows are

except CE, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Neutral Evils just climb into bed through a window every night? Or their partners, I guess.