Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You can dislike Stroman as a person but lumping him in with Chapman, Domingo German or Trevor Bauer is loving stupid.

You can dislike Stroman as a pitcher, but saying "they should have just signed Lance Lynn" is loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Highest career IP in a season: 77

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Nodoze posted:

You can dislike Stroman as a person but lumping him in with Chapman, Domingo German or Trevor Bauer is loving stupid.

You can dislike Stroman as a pitcher, but saying "they should have just signed Lance Lynn" is loving stupid.

Yeah the Lynn thing was pretty wild

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Uh okay.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The Tigers are arbitrating Casey Mize over $25k.

Why? That’s like a min-wage job of difference over a year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wouldn’t give him 4 years in any scenario but clearly they don’t want to pay what the bigger starters like Snell are asking

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blind Pineapple posted:

so they can pay 3 minor leaguers

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Giants please sign Chapman and use him as a starter, too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is a starter but a failed reliever

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
For some reason this reminded me that the old Twins FO wasted the 2015 6th overall pick on Tyler Jay, a dude everyone else slated to be a reliever. He didn't even manage to make the majors doing that

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

General Bullshit posted:

They used Manaea as a reliever. There's some Mad Hatter in the front office just saying stupid poo poo and it's sticking.

If I was Manaea I would have been petty pissed at how the Giants deployed him to pitch last season. It did not seem like they were particularly setting him up for success.

It sounds like the Giants are also already hedging their bets on Hicks:

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1745868068075831467?s=20

As a contract in a vaccuum, it doesn't seem that insane, Hicks is 27, throws hard, and seemed to figure some stuff out last year, but expecting him to start is...a decision.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 12, 2024

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Blind Pineapple posted:

The wall that is the suppression of player salaries is built out of a thousand bricks, each of which is screwing a player out of some trivial amount of money

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

zoux posted:

What is a reliever but a miserable little pile of 100mph heaters will no control

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Mean Baby posted:

What is a reliever but a miserable little pile of 100mph heaters will no control

Not to be too serious in reply to a joke but one of the things about Eno Sarris' work with Stuff+/Location+/Pitching+ that's really stuck out to me is realizing how tight the band of Location+ is for viable pitchers, be they relievers or starters.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

bravesword posted:

The wall that is the suppression of player salaries is built out of a thousand bricks, each of which is screwing a player out of some trivial amount of money

Yeah, there was a really good article about this a year or two back.

fake edit: It was a Baseball Isn't Dead youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWyEsqWxrA

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Basically the Giants' plan is to have a Bullpen Game every fifth day until Ray gets back

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, there was a really good article about this a year or two back.

fake edit: It was a Baseball Isn't Dead youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWyEsqWxrA

Yeah this is a really good video that explains why teams fight over what seem like extremely petty amounts in arb. It's both to depress the ripple effect of later arb years and also because file and trial only works if you apply it in all circumstances with no exceptions.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Inspector_666 posted:

If I was Manaea I would have been petty pissed at how the Giants deployed him to pitch last season. It did not seem like they were particularly setting him up for success.

It sounds like the Giants are also already hedging their bets on Hicks:

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1745868068075831467?s=20

As a contract in a vaccuum, it doesn't seem that insane, Hicks is 27, throws hard, and seemed to figure some stuff out last year, but expecting him to start is...a decision.

Yeah and he's getting paid Imanaga money. Why not just sign Imanaga? I'm very confused :lol:

zoux posted:

:hmmyes:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
the idea of jordan hicks throwing 5 innings (let alone maintaining control over 5 innings) is insane. his speed is gonna have to dip 2-3 mph to sustain that i think

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this guy owns
https://x.com/BRWalkoff/status/1745902080940765294?s=20

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That's great, more free agents need to be leaning into goofy city stuff like that

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently imanaga really loves baseball team songs

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

General Bullshit posted:

Yeah and he's getting paid Imanaga money. Why not just sign Imanaga? I'm very confused :lol:

Wasn't it reported that he had a bigger offer that he turned down?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bawfuls posted:

That's great, more free agents need to be leaning into goofy city stuff like that

Bombing out in the playoffs is sort of leaving early I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Wasn't it reported that he had a bigger offer that he turned down?
Allegedly yes

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:swoon: HOLY poo poo :swoon:

Seiya and Shota are my new best friends

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Japanese players and fans seem to understand that baseball is first and foremost supposed to be fun. I love the way that Japan loves baseball. The fact that pretty much every NPB guy that ends up over here becomes an instant fan favorite tells me that we'd like it if baseball were fun, as well.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bregor posted:

:swoon: HOLY poo poo :swoon:

Seiya and Shota are my new best friends

And Darvish still loves Chicago so much he convinced Suzuki to sign there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Japanese players and fans seem to understand that baseball is first and foremost supposed to be fun. I love the way that Japan loves baseball. The fact that pretty much every NPB guy that ends up over here becomes an instant fan favorite tells me that we'd like it if baseball were fun, as well.
Agreed

I wish Ichiro was still playing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed

I wish Ichiro was still playing

Too busy striking out teenage girls back home these days I'm afraid.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Awesome. I already love him. I wish we could get Yu back to round things out with another cool Japanese dude.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

zoux posted:

100%, I'm extremely jealous of Japanese baseball fan culture. They also just do tons of goofy promotional stuff like costume exhibition games and the bunting contest.

Yeah I like this guy already, really hope he's good at throwing baseballs.

e. lmao he picked #18 because he admires Ben Zobrist.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bawfuls posted:

The money is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the Dodgers having their current roster.

But the reason free agents pick the Dodgers over other equivalent (or higher) offers is not "because the Dodgers spend money" it's all the other things i.e. player development.
Basically it boils down to Smart but Poor can beat Dumb but Rich. But Smart and Rich wins. And Smart, Rich and is LA is the tiebreaker for a lot of people.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Bombing out in the playoffs is sort of leaving early I guess.
this is the thanks I get for earnest cubsposting

pseudodragon posted:

Basically it boils down to Smart but Poor can beat Dumb but Rich. But Smart and Rich wins. And Smart, Rich and is LA is the tiebreaker for a lot of people.
October Chaos normalizes this though. Smart but Poor can beat Smart and Rich in October because this is baseball. That is supposedly the Padres, and the Dbacks for that matter. Meanwhile the Giants should, on paper, be Smart and Rich, but they seem to be struggling on both fronts there.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 12, 2024

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

zoux posted:

Too busy striking out teenage girls back home these days I'm afraid.

Them windows ain't gonna break themselves!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT6vl15ktMQ

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Allegedly yes
According to Alex Speier, citing "sources" the Red Sox offered more up front guaranteed money, but his deal with Cubs has the potential to be more lucrative
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1745857010824777937

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Man no one wants to go to Boston or SF lol

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I've lived in both Boston and Chicago and can say that Chicago is objectively better. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I've lived in both Boston and Chicago and can say that Chicago is objectively better. :colbert:

Damning a good city with faint praise here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm from Mass, Boston is like a 3rd rate city so yeah that checks