Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Honestly the hippie bits of Vs Hedorah are about right for a certain segment of late 60s and early 70s counterculture

"Quick everyone, have a dance party and do some ineffectual performative gesture, that'll stop the existential crisis!"

On a different note, sat down and watched Gamera 2 and... I liked it a bit less than Guardian of the Universe? Like there was a lot of news broadcast talking head bits that kinda just ate up screentime, lot of shots of people just sorta looking at stuff. The human plot felt lacking, like it was an homage to bad 50s alien invader movies with the square-jawed military guy and the scientist who makes wild intuitive leaps that were always right.

The bits with Legion itself were nice, love those little Garthim bastards, love the big Evangelion Angel looking one, loved the Lavos concept of the whole thing. That said, I do wish there had been more Godzilla vs Destroyah style Aliens ripoff bits with soldiers fighting them, really sell how personally dangerous they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m glad banno made the monsterverse I like it

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Say what you will about KOTM, but that trailer with Claire de Lune was a masterpiece. It didn't have any real bearing on the film aside from getting my hopes up, but drat, did it get my hopes up. It had mystique, it had awe, it had that awesome shot of Mothra spreading her wings in the waterfall and the equally awesome shot of King Ghidorah bearing down on the airship. poo poo, it eclipsed the hype of 2009 Watchmen trailer for me.

(I love KOTM)

GxK's big trailer feels like the complete opposite of that. There's no sense of reverence for these strange, primal gods. It's just dumb poo poo, probably too fast, with no cool low-angle shots to make the giant monsters look like giant monsters, and then there's a tiny, ugly, Orangutan child. All of this accompanied by a beatboxing seismogaph. I just...

I just don't like it.

Anyway, Minus One is still awesome.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I’m glad banno made the monsterverse I like it

Without his enthusiasm it's hard to know when we'd have ever gotten more Godzilla, and the stuff that came out while he was alive was good. Definitely appreciate his efforts. Dude had weird ideas for Godzilla movies, but he really put in the effort when trying to implement them.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nodoze posted:

Monsterverse just feels like trying to make a modern Showa era but even dumber

That may be what they’re trying, but there’s really little similarity once you examine it.

Godzilla 2014, for example, is primarily a combination of elements from Godzilla 1984 and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Godzilla 2: King Of The Monsters is then a condensed remake of the entire Heisei/Versus Series - nabbing a lot of specific concepts and imagery directly from them.

Skull Island, admittedly, absolutely nails the tone of King Kong Escapes and Ebirah, even as it modernizes things somewhat and incorporates elements of the Peter Jackson film.

GVK, though? I’m legit unsure what’s going on there. There’s nothing like it in any of the previous movies, of any Godzilla (or related) series.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That may be what they’re trying, but there’s really little similarity once you examine it.

Godzilla 2014, for example, is primarily a combination of elements from Godzilla 1984 and Godzilla vs Hedorah. Godzilla 2: King Of The Monsters is then a condensed remake of the entire Heisei/Versus Series - nabbing a lot of specific concepts and imagery directly from them.

Skull Island, admittedly, absolutely nails the tone of King Kong Escapes and Ebirah, even as it modernizes things somewhat and incorporates elements of the Peter Jackson film.

GVK, though? I’m legit unsure what’s going on there. There’s nothing like it in any of the previous movies, of any Godzilla (or related) series.

GVK takes from Evangelion. Specifically when they're fighting on top of the warships.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
GvK wishes it was taking from Evangelion; we know full well what a Godzilla-Evangelion movie looks like!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ungulateman posted:

GvK wishes it was taking from Evangelion; we know full well what a Godzilla-Evangelion movie looks like!

I assume you're referring to Shin, but THIS does in fact exist.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I figured you were going to say the Shinkalion movie where Shinji shows up to cheer them on to defeat Snow Godzilla.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Arc Hammer posted:

I figured you were going to say the Shinkalion movie where Shinji shows up to cheer them on to defeat Snow Godzilla.

I am absolutely staggered that this wasn't a shitpost but is in fact a real thing.

E: lmfao

This Fuckin' Show posted:

The organization combats mysterious beings with Shinkalions, bullet trains that turn into giant robots.

Annath fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 12, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ungulateman posted:

I mean yea. But you can’t tell me that fight on the boats isn’t directly lifted from Evangelion episode 8

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm not going to go into too much detail but the final episode of monarch was really annoying just like all the other episodes. Maybe they can say everyone died in the events of KOTM if they want to make another season.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I tried, with Monarch. I really did.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The last 2 episodes were better than the rest, but overall not really worth it imo.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah at this point I've watched everything else I need to watch the last one but it became a chore like, 4 episodes in.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bip Roberts posted:

I'm not going to go into too much detail but the final episode of monarch was really annoying just like all the other episodes. Maybe they can say everyone died in the events of KOTM if they want to make another season.

And most of the cast of KOTM died after that movie clearly

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kyle Chandler endures. He's had beef with Kong since 2005

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’ve just realized I’ve spent about 90% of the Monarch runtime shitposting on SA while “watching” it.

Not saying it would be better if I rewatched and put the phone away. It won’t, and I won’t try :)

Even so, I am still thankful that we live in a time when a show like this could exist. The last ten years have been great for Kaiju fans!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://x.com/Avinny4/status/1745804212175339864?s=20

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

mods new forum background please

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

thats the funniest thing ive seen this week gotdamn

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“DON’T MAKE ME TURN THIS WORMHOLE AROUND!”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/status/1745688835340591202?t=tTcRQ2_peCWfSEtwJefeew&s=19

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didn't dislike monarch, but now that i've finished i think e10 should've been like, e05 or 06

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I stand by my assessment that you could make a good movie out of the show. The achronological structure they went with basically kills it, though. There's zero reason to have kept the basic premise a mystery until the last episodes - especially when it's so underwhelming (and a retcon of Skull Island).

They also make just dumb mistakes - like Shaw being presented as an Indiana Jones sort of adventurer with contacts everywhere, while simultaneously having been kept in prison and totally isolated from society between 1962 and 2014.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 13, 2024

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

site posted:

i didn't dislike monarch, but now that i've finished i think e10 should've been like, e05 or 06

Surf Dracula strikes again

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/status/1745943809442136359?t=O6uZa_AYLfryITb3jqJTrA&s=19

Dancing Mothrarva...

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Mantis42 posted:

Surf Dracula strikes again

I really wanted this to be a real movie/TV Show.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress this show was a messy waste of time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress this show was a messy waste of time.

Working backwards from the ending, it turns out that I was correct in my assessment that everything not directly connected to Cate and Shaw's storylines is pointless filler. Bigamist Dad, Secret Brother & His Ex, and all the actual Monarch characters primarily exist to move the plot along and set up a possible Season 2. Like, after all the buildup, none of these characters do anything in the final episodes except exist as Cate's family that she learns about.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I gave up after the ice monster episode--do we ever see/meet Cate's mom? Thought it was super weird that she had multiple phone calls with this lady who was never seen or heard from again, especially directly contrasted with Other Guy's mom who was clearly a sweetheart.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I gave up after the ice monster episode--do we ever see/meet Cate's mom? Thought it was super weird that she had multiple phone calls with this lady who was never seen or heard from again, especially directly contrasted with Other Guy's mom who was clearly a sweetheart.

Yeah, she's working disaster relief in SF and seems like a cool lady.

I was optimistic about Monarch at the outset but it went downhill pretty quickly. I guess what you can do with a prequel/interquel is limited, but it all seemed pretty pointless. If the writing and acting had been better it would have been less boring to watch.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
She's banging a 6'9" hippie dude

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Monarch guy with the cane by the end was also loving terrible and took me out of every scene. He can’t act for poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Muscle Tracer posted:

Cate Mom is actually one of the best minor characters in the show, because she’s just a cool person who shows up, helps illustrate Cate’s issues by acting reasonable in contrast to her, and exits stage left without a full hour of backstory.

If anyone’s still looking to attempt the show, the following is the basic premise and not an actual spoiler:

Retconning nearly all the movies, the show says that the US Government has had extensive knowledge of the ‘hollow earth’ interdimensional portal stuff from GVK since the late 1950s but refuses to do any proper research into it due to the expense(???). After the events of Godzilla 2014, the son of a couple dead Monarch agents steals what information does exist and tries to continue their portal research while everyone is worrying that monster attacks might start increasing in frequency.

Cate, the thief’s daughter (who’s got a bunch of psychological issues from the generational trauma of having her grandparents wiped out by giant monsters), investigates her father’s disappearance and ends up meeting her Grand-Uncle Shaw - a rogue Monarch agent who also wants to continue the portal research. Together, they go on a globetrotting adventure to track down Cate Dad - accompanied by a couple other characters whose monster-unrelated personal issues extend the runtime by a few hours. (There’s also a lot of pure, dull-rear end filler about Monarch’s day-to-day operations.)

From there, there are a few twists. Some are good, and some are rather poorly conveyed:

-Cate Dad is not actually very important to the plot, and so Cate kinda loses interest in that about halfway in.

-This is largely because Shaw is revealed to be the villain of the story, having gone kinda fashy due to monster-related trauma. Cate makes it her mission to stop him before his agression potentially worsens the monster attacks.

-This all turns out to be kinda unnecessary, though, because the whole threat of increasing monster attacks turns out to be a false alarm due to a misinterpretation of the portal data.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If anyone’s still looking to attempt the show, the following is the basic premise and not an actual spoiler:

Retconning nearly all the movies, the show says that the US Government has had extensive knowledge of the ‘hollow earth’ interdimensional portal stuff from GVK since the late 1950s but refuses to do any proper research into it due to the expense(???). After the events of Godzilla 2014, the son of a couple dead Monarch agents steals what information does exist and tries to continue their portal research while everyone is worrying that monster attacks might start increasing in frequency.

Cate, the thief’s daughter (who’s got a bunch of psychological issues from the generational trauma of having her grandparents wiped out by giant monsters), investigates her father’s disappearance and ends up meeting her Grand-Uncle Shaw - a rogue Monarch agent who also wants to continue the portal research. Together, they go on a globetrotting adventure to track down Cate Dad - accompanied by a couple other characters whose monster-unrelated personal issues extend the runtime by a few hours. (There’s also a lot of pure, dull-rear end filler about Monarch’s day-to-day operations.)

From there, there are a few twists. Some are good, and some are rather poorly conveyed:

-Cate Dad is not actually very important to the plot, and so Cate kinda loses interest in that about halfway in.

-This is largely because Shaw is revealed to be the villain of the story, having gone kinda fashy due to monster-related trauma. Cate makes it her mission to stop him before his agression potentially worsens the monster attacks.

-This all turns out to be kinda unnecessary, though, because the whole threat of increasing monster attacks turns out to be a false alarm due to a misinterpretation of the portal data.

I actually learned more about the plot of the show from reading this post than I got from watching the show for ten hours.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also she's a cheater and then Godzilla smushes both her girlfriends.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cate Mom is actually one of the best minor characters in the show, because she’s just a cool person who shows up, helps illustrate Cate’s issues by acting reasonable in contrast to her, and exits stage left without a full hour of backstory.

There probably could've been a good movie or shorter TV show in there. It felt like they were trying to tell too many stories.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
that show sounds unbelievably lovely.

i watched the whale god today. pretty solid. some stuff less solid. not what i expected but i don't regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

I actually learned more about the plot of the show from reading this post than I got from watching the show for ten hours.

Yeah it’s legit a puzzle because of how the information is parcelled out, how little of that info is narratively relevant, and how much of it is poorly conveyed through pure exposition. Add in all the retcons of the movies that the show expects you to have seen, and it’s a recipe for befuddlement.

Bip Roberts posted:

Also she's a cheater and then Godzilla smushes both her girlfriends.

This is what makes Cate an actually-good character; she initially looks like a generic example of Hollywood PTSD, before it’s revealed that she was messed up well before the monster attacks. Getting almost-smushed by Godzilla just worsened things.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 14, 2024