Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

UW has a weirdo regional advantage of a pipeline of religious Pacific Islanders, it’s honestly a very underrated thing.

Is UW's advantage there more significant than the rest of the coastal schools? Big rear end Polynesian dudes are/were a staple of the whole Pac-12 and Mountain West in my estimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

So you saying Franklin’s Penn State might be able to beat them?

Franklin's Penn State already beat Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. Franklin is only shook by Ohio State.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Let’s go B1G, gently caress an SEC

That's right.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Ah yes, the (checks Wikipedia) DirecTV Holiday Bowl at Petco Park champion USC Trojans

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is UW's advantage there more significant than the rest of the coastal schools? Big rear end Polynesian dudes are/were a staple of the whole Pac-12 and Mountain West in my estimation.

Not really it’s just that UW and UO are the big dogs in the region and get the best ones (BYU and Utah sometimes snag some for obvious reasons).

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Sark leaves for USC, Taggart leaves for FSU, Cristobal leaves for Miami, AD Cohen leaves for USC... Maybe one day people will stop leaving the PNW for "dream" jobs, it doesn't seem to work out very often.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Komet posted:

Franklin's Penn State already beat Washington in the Fiesta Bowl. Franklin is only shook by Ohio State.

Non playoff bowls are meaningless (which makes me sad)

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So you saying Franklin’s Penn State might be able to beat them?

Sure, as long as there is nothing important at stake.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I mean, no? South Dakota is better than Alabama in a lot of ways particularly if you’re the type who likes being in a pretty rural area. Also that’s just glossing over the In between places he’s lived that are better than both.

Listen the gulf coast is loving awful, I wouldn’t wish having to live there on my worst enemy

Tuscaloosa is not even close to as barren as South Dakota wtf are you talking about

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GD_American posted:

There's maybe 5-6 cities in the country that have anything you just can't get anywhere else (see that Tennessee Williams quote about New Orleans). We are an extremely homogenized society.

And if you're looking at the truly discerning cultural things that are genuinely geographically limited, I doubt a football coach and their family are going to be so culturally sophisticated enough for it to matter. The San Diego Zoo is far better than the Birmingham Zoo, sure, but they're both zoos. The St Louis Ballet is not the ABT, but is a 100hr a week coaching weirdo going to care? You can see plays at the Steppenwolf, or at the Hippodrome in Gainesville. A theater major will care about the difference, not a D-1 coach.

Tuscaloosa has decent-enough restaurants and Mercedes dealerships. If they cared about fine dining or cultural poo poo they'd be coaching in NYC, Chicago, or LA, and all three of those suck at college football.

ehhhhhhhhh

I agree things are relatively homogenized but there are much stronger regional variations than people acknowledge. The bigger difference though is between a place with a small/midsized city and major cities. It's a completely different lifestyle. I can't pretend to know what they're into, but the main point is your lifestyle is radically different in a big city vs less populous places in the country, even moreso in those 3-4 major cities. And maybe he doesn't give a poo poo about any of that but he does have a wife and kids, who have to actually interact with the local amenities while he's working 100 hrs a week.

Idk, I've moved around a lot and the more I've seen the more noticeable the lifestyle differences are between regions of the country & urban vs suburban vs rural. Being rich solves the dollar/sqft issue and access to luxe poo poo but that's about it.

It's a moot point bc obviously he doesn't care about anything but his own ambition, I just can't pretend that the gulf coast is a place you should live if you don't absolutely have to.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Tuscaloosa is not even close to as barren as South Dakota wtf are you talking about

True but its about 100x more beautiful and if you're an outdoors/nature guy it rules. Also Tuscaloosa isn't exactly a bustling metropolis here.

guys the gulf coast is loving awful, you're not gonna convince me it's a good option over almost anywhere else in the country

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Non playoff bowls are meaningless (which makes me sad)

That's generally true now, but not really the case then. Both teams were legitimately invested in winning. Even Saquon Barkley played instead of opting out.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Komet posted:

I feel bad for Washington fans, but at the same time, Washington is on Penn State's schedule now, so oh well. A weakened Washington is better for Penn State's playoff prospects.

gently caress Penn State forever. Pedophile school

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I wouldnt even call Tuscaloosa the "Gulf Coast"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

I wouldnt even call Tuscaloosa the "Gulf Coast"

feel free to quibble, we can call it the "deep south" instead. that region blows regardless of nomenclature

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Google tells me Tuscaloosa is around 100k people and Sioux Falls is over 200k people. Sioux Falls is a pretty cool city too.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

GD_American posted:

Ah yes, the (checks Wikipedia) DirecTV Holiday Bowl at Petco Park champion USC Trojans

alabama had a legacy admission to the cfp, careful throwing stones here

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

Google tells me Tuscaloosa is around 100k people and Sioux Falls is over 200k people. Sioux Falls is a pretty cool city too.

It's significantly better than Tuscaloosa unless you really love humidity, southern accents, bbq (this one does hurt), or all the evil racial history

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Odd that it’s still “sources say” imho

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

feel free to quibble, we can call it the "deep south" instead. that region blows regardless of nomenclature

Nah it owns. I could never imagine being surrounded by so few of my own people in some snow field poo poo hole up north.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

It's significantly better than Tuscaloosa unless you really love humidity, southern accents, bbq (this one does hurt), or all the evil racial history

Sioux Falls has plenty of the last one sir

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

lmao USC was literally the dominant power before Bama became ascendant. It's not even that long ago that Pete Caroll was there compared to all the Bear Bryant poo poo ya'll are always talking about

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I'll never forget my sophomore year of college having a SD kid in my dorm room. One day he pulled me aside and said "I don't know how to say this, but you're the first black person I have ever met." Absolutely floored

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Yeah I don’t think a place literally named “Sioux Falls” has a better racial history

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Nah it owns. I could never imagine being surrounded by so few of my own people in some snow field poo poo hole up north.

Fun fact, you'll find escaped southerners everywhere bc the deep south/gulf coast blows and a ton of us leave. And sadly as lovely as some of the northern places are they all manage to be better

Sioux Falls has plenty of the last one sir

I didn't say zero evil historical racial poo poo, this is America after all but let's not pretend anyone but their Confederate neighbors can even hold a candle to Alabama on that one.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Every time a west coast school ascends they get torn down for “violations” that are absolutely par for the course at the big southern powers but y’all aren’t ready for that conversation.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I'm just glad we can still have regional beef in college football.

gently caress Texas while we're at it.

Edit: and North Carolina by proxy I bet it sucks there

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Fun fact, you'll find escaped southerners everywhere bc the deep south/gulf coast blows and a ton of us leave. And sadly as lovely as some of the northern places are they all manage to be better

I didn't say zero evil historical racial poo poo, this is America after all but let's not pretend anyone but their Confederate neighbors can even hold a candle to Alabama on that one.

quote:

The 5 largest ethnic groups in South Dakota are White (Non-Hispanic) (80.8%), American Indian & Alaska Native (Non-Hispanic) (7.98%), Two+ (Non-Hispanic) (3.14%), Black or African American (Non-Hispanic) (2.12%), and White (Hispanic) (1.79%).

Nah I am good, thanks

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Adun posted:

Yeah I don’t think a place literally named “Sioux Falls” has a better racial history

The waterfalls of the Big Sioux River are awesome!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one but online weirdos actually care about what place you live

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Buddy I live in the PNW where idiot white libtards do Amazon-sponsored native land acknowledgements before sporting events and pat themselves on the back for electing Biden while he’s bombing brown people all around the world, not to minimize the heinous south of our great land but it’s an empire of skull pyramids no matter where you live.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Every time a west coast school ascends they get torn down for “violations” that are absolutely par for the course at the big southern powers but y’all aren’t ready for that conversation.

so the southern schools are better bc they all lack ethics? lmao

Adun posted:

I mean this is a race to the bottom since that whole region was horrific for first nations people, but as a general rule of thumb the state that was part of the confederacy is gonna get the nod from me.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I have bad news for you about every single part of America

https://www.voanews.com/a/native-americans-confront-racism-in-south-dakota/6590488.html

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I just can't imagine looking around at a northern city that is 80% or more white and talking poo poo about the black belt

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

yes its probably better to live in seattle than alabama - but the people it matters for isn't the coach, it's their family, and shockingly people who actually care about where their families want to live (or take their families likes/dislikes into consideration) do not coach at elite football schools. its a group of sociopaths.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Buddy I live in the PNW where idiot white libtards do Amazon-sponsored native land acknowledgements before sporting events and pat themselves on the back for electing Biden while he’s bombing brown people all around the world, not to minimize the heinous south of our great land but it’s an empire of skull pyramids no matter where you live.

lmao at no point have i claimed that any part of this country is anything but evil as gently caress please don't put words in my mouth, I'm just emphasizing the degree to which Alabama largely outshines the others. And yea this country is evil as gently caress but ya'll are crazy if you think there isn't a noticeable difference depending on where you live, like are we gonna sit here and pretend that living in FL and living in CA are the same thing?

Fluffdaddy posted:

I just can't imagine looking around at a northern city that is 80% or more white and talking poo poo about the black belt

Having lived in both, it's extremely easy to talk poo poo about a region hellbent on taking the votes of all the black folks they dont force into unjustified incarceration after impoverishing their hometowns.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 13, 2024

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I see DeBoer's from South Dakota.

Please let him attempt to be southern like Brian Kelly tried to be Cajun.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

lmao at no point have i claimed that any part of this country is anything but evil as gently caress please don't put words in my mouth, I'm just emphasizing the degree to which Alabama largely outshines the others. And yea this country is evil as gently caress but ya'll are crazy if you think there isn't a noticeable difference depending on where you live, like are we gonna sit here and pretend that living in FL and living in CA are the same thing?

CA is far closer to FL in racial back-asswardness than they would like to admit. They're less cartoonishly loud about it.

Source- born in Oakland, grew up in Oxnard and San Diego

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Californians are literally moving to Nashville (where I live now) and are displacing black and brown people by driving the housing cost so high to where we can no longer afford to live here. I know this isn't the politics forum but looking at actual ethnically diverse places (most of the south) and talking about how trash it is loving sucks and you should feel bad for doing it.

Anyways, Roll Tide.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
You guys are acting like the dudes making $100-200k

The south is absolutely amazing if you are a multimillionaire and want to have a lake house the size of Versailles

And if he wins he basically will be treated like he's the god damned pharoah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

CA is far closer to FL in racial back-asswardness than they would like to admit.

Source- born in Oakland, grew up in Oxnard and San Diego

Sure but closer than a lot of condescending rich libs pretend isn't the same thing as them being remotely equivalent.

Source, born and raised in Tampa, went to school in Tally best friend for decades is from Miami.