Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The fact that the God-Emperor of Mankind takes a little bit of time out of his day to have a little chat with a random crackhead makes him out to be a way better father than any of the Horus Heresy books have, that’s for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

He's watching the game through the psyker's eyes and commenting a la Twitch chat.

Really most of the lines make sense if you replace "my beloved" with "chat"

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

megane posted:

Really most of the lines make sense if you replace "my beloved" with "chat"

jerma40000

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Personally I don't like the voice modulation because the last time in a game with a Seer psyker with one our entire team was swiveling our heads backwards because we'd suddenly hear a VERY loud and deep unfamiliar voice that made us all instinctively look for the maulers/crushers behind us.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Personally I don't like the voice modulation because the last time in a game with a Seer psyker with one our entire team was swiveling our heads backwards because we'd suddenly hear a VERY loud and deep unfamiliar voice that made us all instinctively look for the maulers/crushers behind us.

If you are scared, the enemy must also be scared. Simple as.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Evil Kit posted:

The Dreamer psykers are both the most blatantly meta, and the beloved they keep mentioning?

That is canonically the Emperor of Mankind, confirmed by Fatshark themselves. The fun thing about 40k lore is that anything put into a game/book/media that has an official license from GW is 100% canon. I appreciate how goofy this can make the lore.

I guess sorta? Until it gets contradicted by something newer.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Preechr posted:

The fact that the God-Emperor of Mankind takes a little bit of time out of his day to have a little chat with a random crackhead makes him out to be a way better father than any of the Horus Heresy books have, that’s for sure.

He also now canonically likes felinids and thinks they're the best abhumans.

That's right. The God-Emperor of Mankind is into catgirls.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

But did he give them souls? Y'know, real souls?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Mind you as far as I'm aware even though Felinids have been a part of 40k lore since pretty early on, they've never actually shown up in anything directly, so how much they actually look like cats(and thus the stereotypical "Catgirl") is unknown, I suspect if they ever do actually get used in anything they're going to be more in the Wolverine & Sabertooth vein of being hairy with sharp teeth and claws rather than literally part cat

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Lol the new Scion helmet is 1400 Acquila on its own, that's almost $15 for a hat.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
7$ but yes its a lot

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You start to develop a sixth sense for when some dingdong is gonna set off a daemonhost. "Okay, we pinged it, it's extremely visible, and easy to avoid, but that guy is picking up ammo on the host side. He's not gonna cross over. He's gonna set i- and there it goes."

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

"I'm not going to awaken the daemonhost I'm not are you crazy. Okay fine just this one time"

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Darktidephil

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Evil Kit posted:

The Dreamer psykers are both the most blatantly meta, and the beloved they keep mentioning?

That is canonically the Emperor of Mankind, confirmed by Fatshark themselves. The fun thing about 40k lore is that anything put into a game/book/media that has an official license from GW is 100% canon. I appreciate how goofy this can make the lore.

Where was this confirmed? The Emperor definitely directs people like Frater Mathieu to fight/die places that will be useful, but the idea that he's just sort of chatting with some rando unsanctioned psyker would be pretty weird.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

ChaseSP posted:

"I'm not going to awaken the daemonhost I'm not are you crazy. Okay fine just this one time"

My favorite thing currently regarding daemonhosts is a Zealot going to wake one up and I get about 5 seconds to guess if they're gonna one shot them or get deleted (along with of course one more person on the team and then the frantic 2 remaining hoping to pull off the rescue).

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
You can apparently slap stunlock daemonhost but its hard as hell. Would love to do it tho

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

So far I'm about 50/50 when it comes to surviving Daemonhosts. Sometimes it feels like my teammates don't understand that you can actually kill them and they panic and run away. As long as it's not in the middle of a wave of bulwarks, snipers and poxbursters then it's not too hard to tank one for a while, especially if you're a shield Ogryn and there's a corner you can back into.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I feel like you should at least get a bonus reward for killing a daemon host but I imagine that would just cause pubbies to charge into them every single time instead of most of the time

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'll fight the daemonhost if someone stumbles into it by accident. I'll fight it if it's attacking the second victim. I'll fight it if another player asks if we want to.

But if someone decides to run straight into it after it's already been tagged and the rest of the team is already taking an alternate route?

Hell no, I'm not taking corruption for that. They made a solo decision to wake the daemonhost, they can fight it solo, too.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I feel like you should at least get a bonus reward for killing a daemon host but I imagine that would just cause pubbies to charge into them every single time instead of most of the time

If the objective is to avoid them they absolutely should not give you a reward for triggering and then surviving them. Everyone thinks they're built different, individually. It would be hell.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

FrancisFukyomama posted:

It is very 40k lore appropriate that your only reward for attacking a daemon host is preventing further casualties

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I kill every demonhost I can get to before someone wakes it up.

Arc Light posted:

I'll fight the daemonhost if someone stumbles into it by accident. I'll fight it if it's attacking the second victim. I'll fight it if another player asks if we want to.

But if someone decides to run straight into it after it's already been tagged and the rest of the team is already taking an alternate route?

Hell no, I'm not taking corruption for that. They made a solo decision to wake the daemonhost, they can fight it solo, too.

Gladly. Thank you for understanding.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If someone takes on a Daemonhost and the other three players continue to push forward because screw that chump, will the Daemonhost still be able to attack a second player or will you be able to reach a safe distance?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

On Malice and below, they'll kill one guy and be done with it. On Heresy and up, they're coming for the second guy no matter how much distance you make.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well gently caress, that's a good way to punish the test of the team for one dickhead's efforts.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The worst are the ones who wake a daemonhost and then die within 5 seconds, like drat man you can't dodge and block any longer then that?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The worst are the ones who wake a daemonhost and then die within 5 seconds, like drat man you can't dodge and block any longer then that?

On the one hand it's bad but OTOH it's extremely funny to see.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

My most embarrassing moment in this game was the time I put my Ogryn shield up without realizing there was a ledge behind me instead of a wall and the Daemonhost just pushed my rear end off of it and killed me in 2 seconds.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said in the past the current execution of the Demonhost is just complete rear end and solely exists to waste the player's time in a very clunky and obnoxious way

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Grumio posted:

Darktidephil

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
nah daemonhosts are cool. players can be morons, such is life

just don't be a:

Grumio posted:

Darktidephil

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I haven't had a run end to a daemonhost in a while. I mostly do solo quick play and if the host gets aggroed players are pretty good about curbstomping it before it can even get one kill. Much better than they used to be.

I like it as another pressure tool in the map.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Grumio posted:

Darktidephil

lol

megane
Jun 20, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

So far I'm about 50/50 when it comes to surviving Daemonhosts. Sometimes it feels like my teammates don't understand that you can actually kill them and they panic and run away. As long as it's not in the middle of a wave of bulwarks, snipers and poxbursters then it's not too hard to tank one for a while, especially if you're a shield Ogryn and there's a corner you can back into.

There’s an argument to made that, in some cases, you should just let it kill whomever it wants and move on. Killing it with a badly-suited party (e.g. zealots with bad single-target weapons, vets with ammo-hungry guns, or just generally team members who kind of suck) comes with serious costs in time, ammo, and corruption. And that’s not to mention the risk of loving it up and losing two people anyway, leaving the survivors on death’s door for nothing.

I’m not saying pubbies are smart enough to make this assessment accurately, but it is there.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Usually it's best to focus on everything but the daemonhost if it goes on someone, if they can survive half a minute or longer then I usually go "ok this person is probably good enough to be worth attempting to save" but if it just instakills the idiot not even gonna bother getting corrupted.

Last week I accidently upset a daemonhost because I was meleeing a horde too close for too long and it went on me, I didn't take a single hit from the host but it corrupted half the teams healthbars so a few minutes later when a couple poxbursters rolled in half the team died..

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Working on a scoreboard mod that doubles your points for triggering the daemonhost.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I woke up a host on high intensity the other day by shooting at a mobian standing too close to it, but then i somehow pulled off the dodging and blocking long enough that we kicked its rear end and survived. So at least I redeemed my gently caress up somewhat and felt pretty bad rear end with my smooth zealot dodge slides.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
The audio for DH is weird, sometimes I'll slowly spin around trying to figure out where the hell it's coming from.

Oh it's coming from underneath the floor and we couldn't see it. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012
I'm just not sure what the point of the "don't kill this monster" in a "kill all these monsters" game really is. There should definitely be some kind of reward for killing them.