Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
jumbo max protect pistol formation into the NFL Blitz 10 yard dropback, I maybe complete 5 interceptions before getting my neck knocked loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm feeling impatient about the seahawks coaching search. How long does it take to announce names of people they want to interview or what have you

Buddy it's been 48 hours. Most of the top candidates are still in the playoffs (including Seattle's supposed first choice in Quinn). Probably nothing's going to happen for a while. It's fine.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Got a bad feeling about Mayo after this

quote:

While Mayo has been credited with being one of the smartest players to ever come through Gillette Stadium, he’s also someone who spends free time theorizing about how blockchain technology could solve the healthcare backlog.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Is there a rule about how far back you can line up in shotgun, like can they put in the long snapper to get me the ball 20 yards behind the LOS? Maybe in that situation I would have time to do an immediate checkdown to the RB standing next to me before an edge rusher separated my soul from my body

I actually don't think there's a rule as to how far back you can line up on offense, just how many you have to have on the line.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

EmbryoSteve posted:

I'm feeling impatient about the seahawks coaching search. How long does it take to announce names of people they want to interview or what have you

The seahawks have not had a straight up coaching vacancy since they brought in holmgren after firing Dennis Erickson in 1998.

Like there was a planned transition from holmgren to mora before there was a the somewhat surprising Pete signing. So no "who will they get " search experience as a fsn

Hawks fans haven't been Subject to an actual head coaching search since 1998. I was 10 years old in 1998

How is this supposed to go ??? Can a Browns or other coaching carousel team tell me

buddy they have no idea what they're doing and the NFL is gonna relegate them to the UFL because of it

Kate Lockwell
Feb 17, 2010

I'm going to throw left-handed. Is only way I can be satisfied. If I use my right... over too quickly.

Adun posted:

Are we taking snaps from under center or out of the shotgun

This is just giving the D linemen more momentum to slam me occipital bone first into the turf as I stare dead eyed at the pass rush like I was Mitch McConnell

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

EmbryoSteve posted:

How is this supposed to go ??? Can a Browns or other coaching carousel team tell me

Usually, the Browns would have some interviews, but things could really drag. Hell, when everyone was assuming McDaniels was going a shoe in, he didn't visit till February. That was like a 4 day visit, and nothing happened.

Seahawks have their guys in mind or are formulating who they even are. Patience, like Benne, said most of the top guys are in the playoffs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

bows1 posted:

lol

a solve for the famous Byzantine Surgeons problem

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

When you have a chance to get one of the architects of the Chicago Bears you just have to do it.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Usually, the Browns would have some interviews, but things could really drag. Hell, when everyone was assuming McDaniels was going a shoe in, he didn't visit till February. That was like a 4 day visit, and nothing happened.

Seahawks have their guys in mind or are formulating who they even are. Patience, like Benne, said most of the top guys are in the playoffs.

Chip Kelly had 2 interviews including one that lasted a full day and then he took the Eagles job.

Which hiring cycle was the mcdaniels stuff? I vauguely remember his name getting thrown around but never anything firm?? Was it 2013 or 2014?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Teams have their process. If I was a seahawks fan I wouldn't be worried. Its not like the team doesn't have a track record of picking the right guys.

I mean, would you rather be like Carolina who's highlights of the season at the moment are 5 zoom interviews they did this week. It also seems like Dan Morgan is the defacto GM at the moment, he's signed a couple of guys to practice squad contracts which I guess makes sense that the business keeps going. I still think if they fail to get a splashy big name hire of one of the hot candidates he's going to be the guy. He's a bit green having spent 3 years in buffalo and the last two in Carolina as the assistant GM but the whole "former player makes gm" is good optics.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 13, 2024

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Snap would take awhile to go back 20 yards, odds are you'd just line up some DE's in wide 9 and separate your middle from the rest of you.

Or if you have the long snapper doing it that thing is coming in like a fastball and you have to practice that stuff to catch it.

Just put me under center and I'll immediately lob something pathetic up that any fat man in the league can pick off unless my line takes care of them every play. Until I die of course, but up to that point I'm handing out candy like it's halloween.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Now that we got our first hiring of the cycle I’ll do a quick housecleaning and pivot this thread to more general carousel stuff. Things have certainly been more active than I expected in the first week.

Arthur, Ron, and Bill all gone, as I predicted. Vrabel was rumored to be wanting out, but I wasn’t expecting an outright shitcanning, so that counts as a surprise. And let’s be honest, Pete was also fired, they’re just too nice to say it in public. I feel like the “advisor” role is more like “we’ll keep paying you to not immediately jump to another team.”

Lots of spots to fill over the coming weeks, and potentially a couple more opening up. Get hyped. This list will also be updated in the OP.

BACK FOR 2024

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Sean Payton, Denver Broncos
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campvell, Detroit Lions
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals

PENDING PLAYOFF RESULTS (better win guys!)

Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders (interim coach: Antonio Pierce)
Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Chris Tabor)
Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers (interim coach: Giff Smith)
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

NEW COACHING HIRES

Jerod Mayo, New England Patriots (Patriots LBs coach)

Benne fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

When you have a chance to get one of the architects of the Chicago Bears you just have to do it.

He'd been with the Ravens for a decade and the Eagles for five years before one year with the Bears, but go off

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bows1 posted:

LOL LMAO

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Please move Todd Bowles to pending playoffs because if they lose he's likely out.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Benne posted:

Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

I've been following the news as closely as anyone and even still this is loving insane to read. What a year.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Flikken posted:

Chip Kelly had 2 interviews including one that lasted a full day and then he took the Eagles job.

Which hiring cycle was the mcdaniels stuff? I vauguely remember his name getting thrown around but never anything firm?? Was it 2013 or 2014?

IRCC it was 2020

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Ches Neckbeard posted:

IRCC it was 2020

What??? I don't think he even interviewed here in 2020. He declined it.

Edit: he was the last of 8 interviews.

Apparently he interviewed in 2014 and 2009 as well.

So we chose Eric Mangini and Muke Pettine over him.

Flikken fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 13, 2024

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
The Seahawks need stability and an even keel in these trying times. They need experienced leadership who knows the NFC West. They need someone who knows how to persevere through a loss and keep his team playing. The Seahawks need Jeff Fisher.

Nervous fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 13, 2024

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

indigi posted:

do you think you'd last long enough to do that. like even if I assume every single pass attempt would be a pick, I think I'd be able to throw - at most - 2 before I suffered a season ending injury

Given that intentional grounding is a spot foul and roughing the quarterback is 15 yards, I'd be the most successful QB of all time, with infinity yards per play on average. Also, dead.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think whoever gets Vrabel is winning the coaching search no matter who it is tbh.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BlindSite posted:

I think whoever gets Vrabel is winning the coaching search no matter who it is tbh.

He must be thinking that a few more jobs could open up after this weekend. The loser of Phlly and Tampa.... maybe dallas if they lose.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I'm so pissed the saints are keeping Allen while Vrabel walks around unemployed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

I'm so pissed the saints are keeping Allen while Vrabel walks around unemployed.

Teams like the Saints and Jets, Giants, Bears Jags who are going to all fire their coaches after next season sitting out this pool of coaching candidates are litereally why dogshit teams in the NFL stay dogshit.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

very sorry to ruin your excitement, but: he literally works for the chicago bears

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Benne posted:

BACK FOR 2024

Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills

I would think you'd have to have some pretty serious extenuating circumstances for McDermott to survive a loss to this Steelers team.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

You really wouldn't. He's 100% safe

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

a neat cape posted:

You really wouldn't. He's 100% safe

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

mcmagic posted:

Teams like the Saints and Jets, Giants, Bears Jags who are going to all fire their coaches after next season sitting out this pool of coaching candidates are litereally why dogshit teams in the NFL stay dogshit.

There's a nonzero chance that Tepper ends up firing his next HC hire before the season's up, so a Vrabel, a Johnson, or whomever might be available for one of them by then

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

one could say it's a good thing the chargers kept staley and fired him this season.

4D chess

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

there's enough vacancies that the panthers aren't going to end up with someone you want anyway

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
If the Bucs do end up firing Bowles I think we go after Vrabel hard. We do have a former New England GM after all and Vrabel’s the type of guy the bucs usually like

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Parallax posted:

there's enough vacancies that the panthers aren't going to end up with someone you want anyway

That is a ROUGH job.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

indigi posted:

do you think you'd last long enough to do that. like even if I assume every single pass attempt would be a pick, I think I'd be able to throw - at most - 2 before I suffered a season ending injury

I do because I would simply catch the snap and then yeet it thataway immediately

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Parallax posted:

Listening to kolmans podcast today and they seem to think Leslie Frasier may end up being the coach they nab as a "no one else will take it but failed retreads" type of job.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If the Bucs do end up firing Bowles I think we go after Vrabel hard. We do have a former New England GM after all and Vrabel’s the type of guy the bucs usually like

I don't think they're gonna hire the guy who got Licht's buddy fired from Tennessee.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

seiferguy posted:

Sounds like Pete Carroll can stay in Seattle if he wants to coach the University of Washington :smith:

oh goddamnit

Kalen Ballage - bad
Kalen DeBoer - bama
Kalen King - ???

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

I don't think they're gonna hire the guy who got Licht's buddy fired from Tennessee.

lmao was he really friends with Robinson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

really queer Christmas posted:

Listening to kolmans podcast today and they seem to think Leslie Frasier may end up being the coach they nab as a "no one else will take it but failed retreads" type of job.

:shrug:

Honestly the only HC hire the Panthers could make that would shock me is Harbaugh. He's going to have the pick of the litter and there are so many better landing spots than Carolina that even if Tepper is willing to give him everything that he wants (which, lol), it still wouldn't be worth the poo poo he'd have to do to clean up the mess the organization is in