Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
On this point, let’s get back to making GBS threads on Oregon

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-white-history-racist-foundations-black-exclusion-laws/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Fluffdaddy posted:

Californians are literally moving to Nashville (where I live now) and are displacing black and brown people by driving the housing cost so high to where we can no longer afford to live here. I know this isn't the politics forum but looking at actual ethnically diverse places (most of the south) and talking about how trash it is loving sucks and you should feel bad for doing it.

Anyways, Roll Tide.

The south is bad BECAUSE of how they treat the ethnically diverse pieces, that's literally the criticism I'm making. You can do the bullshit handwavy thing that people love to do now where criticism of a region thereby means you hate whatever people live there, but I'm not some dipshit NYC idiot who thinks we should cut off the south. I think we should run out all the loving rich racists & corrupt politicians and burn their goddamn mansions to the ground before massively reinvesting in the region. The south could be awesome, but the rich racists have a loving chokehold on it and blast non stop propaganda to get huge swathes of poor folks on board.

The displacement thing sucks dick, but housing issues are a national problem everywhere unfortunately.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

EmbryoSteve posted:

gently caress Penn State forever. Pedophile school

Oh grow up

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Sure but closer than a lot of condescending rich libs pretend isn't the same thing as them being remotely equivalent.

San Diego had one of the most violent white supremacist enclaves of the late 70s and early 80s. It was also an incubator of LaRouche-style conservatism for years.

California is not the place you see on TV.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Bet all those kids wish they had earlier

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

lol that you still have this gimmick

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GD_American posted:

San Diego had one of the most violent white supremacist enclaves of the late 70s and early 80s. It was also an incubator of LaRouche-style conservatism for years.

California is not the place you see on TV.

Yea and the LAPD are a violent racist organization and the tech bros have been pricing out black and brown folks for decades in SF. It's bad my friend. Florida is worse.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Florida isnt Tuscaloosa.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s really easy to not dwell on what’s happening just on the periphery of your everyday life wherever you live, I highly recommend it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah you guys do prefer violently sexually hazing post-adolescents, that's right

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blake Baker and LSU hired away Mizzou's defensive line coach. Wonder if this means the Good Tigers are not promoting from within and are going to hire a DC from another team who wants to bring in his own coaches. And also how this affects Williams Nwaneri's commitment (thankfully assistant coaches/coordinators leaving doesn't open up immediate transfer).

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

Florida isnt Tuscaloosa.

seperate convo, but the main thrust is Alabama isn't a great place to live which i don't think is a particularly hot take.

General Dog posted:

It’s really easy to not dwell on what’s happening just on the periphery of your everyday life wherever you live, I highly recommend it.

less and less is on the periphery these days, even if you're white and comfortable

Upgrade posted:

yes its probably better to live in seattle than alabama - but the people it matters for isn't the coach, it's their family, and shockingly people who actually care about where their families want to live (or take their families likes/dislikes into consideration) do not coach at elite football schools. its a group of sociopaths.

coming back to the main convo, yea this is probably the best sum up on the whole living thing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The best place to live is death.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

welp. lmk when dubs crack the top 15 or so and win a few games to solidify it. i'll be out until then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think DeBoer would live in Antarctica and watch his family freeze to death and then be eaten by penguins if it increases his chance to win a championship.

I don't think college coaches really give a poo poo about the culture of the city they're moving to, all they care about is winning some loving football games. Pretty much every place in the country has internet now, that's all the culture you need, if you need culture just Doordash some nachos and watch a nature documentary or video game orchestra on Youtube.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

If cultural quality was my main concern, I'd be living in Chicago.

It's not. Proximity to family is, so Mobile it is.

Cost of living is up there too, and whaddayaknow. Something that costs 3 mil in Chicago, I get for $140k.

This place sucked in 1991. It's decent now, and for a city its size even boxes above its weight in food offerings.

I get you have a deep loathing of the Gulf Coast, but that doesn't mean we do

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Life is just kind of the same wherever you are; I had the same TV in San Antonio that I had in Clarksburg, WV.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Youse guys cities are way too big for how many people actually live in them

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

have they officially announced Deboer yet?

General Dog posted:

Life is just kind of the same wherever you are; I had the same TV in San Antonio that I had in Clarksburg, WV.

lmao sure

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Football coaches barely make time to sleep in their own bed. I doubt any of them actually care about what their location has to offer outside Football. They'd rather have taco bell door dashed than sit down and wait for a 5 course sushi fine dining meal. That time is better spent recruiting or watching film.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GD_American posted:

There's maybe 5-6 cities in the country that have anything you just can't get anywhere else (see that Tennessee Williams quote about New Orleans). We are an extremely homogenized society.

And if you're looking at the truly discerning cultural things that are genuinely geographically limited, I doubt a football coach and their family are going to be so culturally sophisticated enough for it to matter. The San Diego Zoo is far better than the Birmingham Zoo, sure, but they're both zoos. The St Louis Ballet is not the ABT, but is a 100hr a week coaching weirdo going to care? You can see plays at the Steppenwolf, or at the Hippodrome in Gainesville. A theater major will care about the difference, not a D-1 coach.

Tuscaloosa has decent-enough restaurants and Mercedes dealerships. If they cared about fine dining or cultural poo poo they'd be coaching in NYC, Chicago, or LA, and all three of those suck at college football.

It ain’t got no Microcenter OP.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Oh look, a bunch of stupid bullshit

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I mean, if your entire life revolves around watching TV, I guess every place is the same

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Sash! posted:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sash! posted:

I take it back, only one place overturns news vans when coaches are fired

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your posting on a forum on a Friday night, you can’t rag on someone for watching tv

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

It’s 4:14 pm

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Raku posted:

You guys are acting like the dudes making $100-200k

Seriously. Oh no why would a coach leave a major city and go to a small city! He can't get Thai food or whatever! It isn't like he couldn't afford to arbitrarily build Alabama's greatest Thai restaurant if he wanted it so bad. Or hire a chef.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Looks like LSU isn't done poaching from Missouri.

https://x.com/AYSSPORTS/status/1745932916402589704?s=20

Also, the Gulf Coast has the best white sand beaches of anywhere in America.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

post hole digger posted:

Only if you recognize the west coast

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I don't really care about either team (Maybe a slight preference to Oregon since I live here), but I love all the Washington fans that poked fun at Oregon for losing Lanning when they lost their coach instead.

Washington fans, I think you lost your best chance for a title about four days ago.

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

West coast best coast

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GD_American posted:

We are an extremely homogenized society.

Excuse me but my Buccees is greatly superior to your WaWa. In this 12-part essay, I will

Tagesreste
Jan 21, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kirios posted:

I don't really care about either team (Maybe a slight preference to Oregon since I live here), but I love all the Washington fans that poked fun at Oregon for losing Lanning when they lost their coach instead.

Washington fans, I think you lost your best chance for a title about four days ago.

My favorite is the aged like milk comment from a Fusky on the CFB Reddit saying Oregon was a stepping-stone progrum, only for it to be Washington instead

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Kirios posted:

We have two titles

I guess Oregon has a few banners

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think the guys who make it to the very top of the college coaching ranks look at the job and think “drat, I could never be as good as Nick Saban, I should take the easy, comfortable job instead.”

Yeah, I'm baffled that people keep suggesting that coaches are idiots for taking this job. They will A) make more money than they ever have in their lives, and B) the opportunity to literally be The Guy in The Job in your industry is such an unimaginably rare opportunity that even if you're not psychotically motivated like many coaches are, you'd better think long and hard about passing that up. Billions live and die without getting that close to the ultimate dream. All power to those able to soberly exercise restraint and find happiness without chasing it, but most people aren't gonna pass up the chance to be the closest thing they can be to a God.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sash! posted:

Seriously. Oh no why would a coach leave a major city and go to a small city! He can't get Thai food or whatever! It isn't like he couldn't afford to arbitrarily build Alabama's greatest Thai restaurant if he wanted it so bad. Or hire a chef.

This being the sticking point in the cultural discussion is kinda funny because Tuscaloosa has a really incredible Thai restaurant on the strip

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Kirios posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. Why do you think I was so frustrated about losing like that?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sash! posted:

Plus (and I know we weren't being super serious) there were like at least three thai places I knew of in Tuscaloosa like ten years ago lol

This is America, ain't nobody actually cultured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

We have two titles

I guess Oregon has a few banners

How many coaches do you currently have?