Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mike N Eich posted:

I was on board with this chart until I saw where Nick Mullens was rated

Do you not think he's well below average?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
He is well below average in reality but that chart has him well above average in CPOE, slightly above average in EPA, but below the Mystery Line which implies .. . . ??? Inefficiency? I guess?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dutchy posted:

He is well below average in reality but that chart has him well above average in CPOE, slightly above average in EPA, but below the Mystery Line which implies .. . . ??? Inefficiency? I guess?

On every chart in existence that has a line like that, above the line = good and below the line = bad. The degree by which you are above or below indicates how good or bad you are relative to others.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

On every chart in existence that has a line like that, above the line = good and below the line = bad

That is a trend line and that is not at all what it means.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fsif posted:

That is a trend line and that is not at all what it means.

Then what does it mean?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Then what does it mean?

It's just showing a positive correlation between the two goofy made up stats. An inverse relationship between the two would show a line traveling from the top left to the bottom right.

In the Mullins case specifically, his EPA/play is a bit lower than one would expect given his CPOE. However, his dot is still squarely in the upper right quadrant, both above and to the right of the red grid lines that represent an average. He's above average in both stats but exceptional in CPOE.

So it's a pretty dumbass chart, is the short of it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Football Funhouse: It's a dumbass chart

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

easton stick is above the line so that must mean he's good

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

IcePhoenix posted:

Then what does it mean?

Jordan Love is good

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

fsif posted:

It's just showing a positive correlation between the two goofy made up stats. An inverse relationship between the two would show a line traveling from the top left to the bottom right.

In the Mullins case specifically, his EPA/play is a bit lower than one would expect given his CPOE. However, his dot is still squarely in the upper right quadrant, both above and to the right of the red grid lines that represent an average. He's above average in both stats but exceptional in CPOE.

So it's a pretty dumbass chart, is the short of it.

Neat. I still think it's kind of a decent reference though since most of the dots line up pretty well with my opinion on how various QBs have played this season.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Jordan Love is good

We already knew that though :sigh:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I legitimately, honestly watch CJ Stroud this year and think he’s gonna be a top 3 QB for the next 15 years.

I’ve never seen a rookie this impressive before.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Bryce Young lol

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Imagine picking Bryce Young before CJ “Playoff Guy” Stroud.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Hey now, we haven't seen how Bryce does in the NFL playoffs yet. It might be Too Soon To Tell

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I can't even fathom what it must be like to be looking toward your team's football future when this is how your rookie QB's season is going

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The337th posted:

I can't even fathom what it must be like to be looking toward your team's football future when this is how your rookie QB's season is going

i can fathom, however, the exact opposite.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

oh yeah that one makes sense to me

rip

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

also hopefully Stroud has caused the death of that stupid cognitive test ever being treated as legit again

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
How can you look at Stroud play and his throwing motion and ever think Bryce will measure up even with better support lol

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Legitimately think this is the best rookie QB I've ever seen.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Laughing if "generational" talent Trevor Lawrence ends up the 3rd or 4th worst QB in his own division

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
How Not Mad is Tepper right now?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The337th posted:

It’s the most positive I’ve ever been about the Texans. It feels like we’re going to be a playoff mainstay for the next 10-15 years.

It’s an incredible feeling and so fulfilling after the past 20 years. I hope every fan base gets to experience something similar in their lives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nervous posted:

How Not Mad is Tepper right now?

All of it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
The Bryce pick is funny by itself, but CJ doing this in the playoffs is just :laugh:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The337th posted:

also hopefully Stroud has caused the death of that stupid cognitive test ever being treated as legit again

I hope he single handedly puts that dumbass company out of business.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I mean. Everyone dismissed that test the moment it was talked about as being dumb and stupid and it wouldn't have an impact and Stroud went 2nd overall. I don't think it was ever really alive.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

BlindSite posted:

I mean. Everyone dismissed that test the moment it was talked about as being dumb and stupid and it wouldn't have an impact and Stroud went 2nd overall. I don't think it was ever really alive.

Last year half the teams in the league paid the company that runs it to evaluate prospects they were interested in, including the Panthers.

https://theathletic.com/4455444/2023/04/27/nfl-draft-s2-cognition-cj-stroud-bryce-young/?amp=1

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I think BlindSite means that we, people with more than 1 braincell posting here, dismissed the test

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kirios posted:

I legitimately, honestly watch CJ Stroud this year and think he’s gonna be a top 3 QB for the next 15 years.

I’ve never seen a rookie this impressive before.

I didn't watch him much but the stats mostly told the story.

In-game though, the touch he put on some of those passes was superb. Even the overthrow for an easy touchdown was under 2 feet, and he just sort of hucked it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Master Stur posted:

I think BlindSite means that we, people with more than 1 braincell posting here, dismissed the test

Well, at least one person on this forum thought it might have some value.

BlindSite posted:

With enough data, over enough years, you can find enough outliers to say "this test is bullshit", without the years data you can handwave a test and say its not a good indicator of anything, but there's also going to be specific cases where the outcomes of a test can be indicative and informative when taken in context with all of the other data points.

Like I said before. No team should, or is likely to use a single data point as a their sole point of difference in a decision but completely discounting it - is just as dumb. If you have several indicators there might be an issue and you do another test that only adds to those indicators you should probably take a moment and consider the complete picture. If it's one albatross data point then fine - ignore it.

I don't particularly care what a player does in the bench press test - for a variety of reasons but if you're seeing the same red flags over and over again on film when it comes to strength and the application of it, and then the guy posts up terrible numbers you might want to take a look at everything else a little more closely. If a guy is flat out dominant on the field and technically sound then it shouldn't change your conclusion on a player.

Similarly with Stroud if you're sure he's fine between the ears and what he does on film gives you no pause then you wouldn't care what the cognition test tells you, if you have a number of questions that aren't answered on the film, they're not answered to a satisfactory standard in interviews and meetings and then he fails a test you might want to go back and re-assess why you had him highly ranked in the first place.

We're kind of going round in circles with this argument but my point still remains. These tests on good teams aren't going to be the deciding factor, but that doesn't mean they're useless to all teams, when it comes to all players. Over ten years with hundreds of prospects, it might prove to be bullshit - but if there's one or two guys that it confirms your suspicions on - for better or worse. Then it inherently does have some value.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Well, at least one person on this forum thought it might have some value.

I was speaking to the broader use of tests within context but my post is filled with caveats to its usefulness.

But I guess having the opinion of, the test wouldn't matter for 99% of your evaluation is somehow controversial lol.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

BlindSite posted:

I was speaking to the broader use of tests within context but my post is filled with caveats to its usefulness.

But I guess having the opinion of, the test wouldn't matter for 99% of your evaluation is somehow controversial lol.

You made multiple posts arguing that this specific test wasn’t entirely worthless, that it could have value, that the data could help teams make decisions about prospects whose processing was in question.

Seems a little silly to argue that the test that dominated draft coverage for weeks, generated puff pieces from the likes of the Athletic, was paid for by at least 15 NFL teams including the Panthers (who then picked the highest scoring QB prospect), and that you also felt compelled to defend was actually never really taken seriously by anyone.

I’m not trying to be a dick here, everyone here gets it wrong more often than not, but it’s wrong to say that it wasn’t taken seriously before the draft.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 14, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ok, maybe I didn't communicate as clearly as I should have but my point was that the test could be utilised even if it was functionally useless when the evaluation methods that matter would draw the conclusion that mattered.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

ok, nevermind, it's kinda great that the guy most apologetic to the Stroud test is also the most apologetic to Bryce's QB play

keep the test going

e: but seriously though, the test even meriting a single headline or discussion is more air than it ever deserved and no one should be able to grift a cent off of it

The337th fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 14, 2024

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I wonder if the Stroud cognitive test score would have been much of a story if the Vince Young wonderlic score hadn't been a story in 2006

Different tests measuring different things, but I think that made the idea that you need to have some sort of formal Brain Good assessment to screen QB prospects into more of a thing.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah the other fake test probably helped proliferate the belief in more fake tests

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
Does Stroud even put up the same numbers if he were a Panther? Because I would argue Bobby Slowik is helping Stroud out more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Does Stroud even put up the same numbers if he were a Panther? Because I would argue Bobby Slowik is helping Stroud out more than anything.

What’s the point of this hypothetical? He’s having probably the best rookie QB season ever, it’s safe to say he’s probably pretty good irrespective of his coaching.

Yes, he would be doing worse with worse coaching just like every other QB in the NFL. He’d still have absolutely beautiful touch and accuracy and a drat good arm though.