Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Turn your phone on, Curtis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 19, 1961)

Prediction.
This is a death sentence on the enslaved young lad. His bravery and spirit will convince Valiant to take him on as a Page/squire.
And we all know how that shakes out.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 31, 1935)

Peanuts (January 14, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (August 15-17, 1935)

Thimble Theater (August 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (October 18-20, 1943)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God drat Flash that is a good fit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"Yes, we actively pretended not to exist and lived completely for ourselves, but that doesn't mean we can't be smug about how the rest of the world never did anything to accommodate us."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

God damnit I did the thing again where Big Nate releases a strip a bit early so I post the wrong one. Starting with the one I missed (1/8) and just including the 9th in the sequence for continuity reasons.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What’s the deal with those teachers with red noses? One I could see being a subtle hint they have bad allergies or are alcoholics or something but two is weird.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Chronic case of tumblr nose.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Murdstone posted:

What’s the deal with those teachers with red noses? One I could see being a subtle hint they have bad allergies or are alcoholics or something but two is weird.
One is reddened from age, and the other is... idk.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

I don't know, maybe you should keep reading and then you'll find out.

If you ever feel like we get to hyper-critical about some of the hate reads in this thread, remember that the Go Comics readers are far, far, worse about theirs. Damning us with faint praise, I know.

The username bummed me out, but then I thought, "Yeah, he probably does shout his befuddlement to the world in general every time a plot development happens in a movie."

Home Free

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: From Rufus With Love

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

So now, even if the Demons win the next game (putting them 4-1 in the series) they get recognition, but not paid right? Sohn's dead, Plank's a vegetable, and the team is going to be disbanded regardless of any game outcome? What a story!

Now that we're actually finished finished, some of you may have noticed that the question of whether or not the chairman paid up is left unresolved. It's worth noting that Sohn was paying the Demons out of his own pocket this entire time with his personal savings, and the payday from the chairman was just to reimburse him for all that. So, it's not clear who would have even gotten the money now that Sohn's dead. The contract did specify that it was up to the chairman's discretion whether to pay Sohn or not in the event of a loss- since I knew this was where the story was going, I was careful to translate the exact technical language of the contract scene. In my headcanon the chairman probably sets up some sort of charity in Sohn's honor with the money, since Prudence Hong's book almost certainly mentioned his attempt to rig the game and the Cowboys would have been facing a public relations crisis if he'd tried to weasel out of it.

Also, I missed one line and I guess everyone was too shocked by everything else that was going on at the time to notice. The corrected page-

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 12, 2024

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 15, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 14, 1916)

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 13, 1912)

That's $316.23 today.

Gasoline Alley(September 2, 1919)

Us Boys(September 18, 1911)

Krazy Kat(November 7, 1913)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God drat, Flash is good. :allears:

Scary Go Round (January 27-31, 2005)

First appearance: Erin Winters, younger sister of Shelley, classmate and friend of The Boy.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Flash Gordon rules.

Jucika "496 - Jucika's Second Job" NSFW Nudity

"497 - Jucika And The Attentive Gentleman"

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Just wanna add Sally Forth to the healthy family relationships comics hall of fame. Other than Sally's Mom, OK?

Loving this set up for fellas that don't learn their lesson. :allears:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/24/52

Archie 3/31 - 4/2/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/15-17/76

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

They drink because they have to deal with Nate on a regular basis.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
ye gods, Vera Valiant is so drat good

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's Big Boo-Tay! Tay! Tay! :mad:

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's Big Boo-Tay! Tay! Tay! :mad:

"Where are we going?"

"Planet Ten!"

"When?"

"Real soon!"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth
Sally's sick so she doesn't get dinner?

Murdstone posted:

I always read it as alcoholism unless another cause is made clear.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

Gonna have to keep this one in my back pocket for trivia night.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Big Nate's teachers drink because they're aware of their comment section

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mousetrapped

Huh. Original characters. What a concept.

Out Boarding House, featuring a perfectly timed reveal. (February 19-21, 1925)

Out Our Way: 1925 Cowboys, Revisited (February 21, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (May 4-6, 1922)

ON THE FAMILY TENNIS COURT: The regular early spring dispute between Dad and Willie concerning the playing condition of the court.

Bonus: One of our occasional visits with Clare Briggs (May 6, 1922)

Babe Ruth was eating a six-week suspension as the test case for the authority of newly installed baseball commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

Call to the Pen posted:

After the [Yankees 1921 pennant] season Ruth decided to barnstorm along with teammate and outfielder Bob Meusel. In doing so, Ruth and Meusel broke a major league rule against barnstorming by players who participated in the World Series. The first Commissioner in baseball history, Kenesaw Mountain Landis, believed that the Series should be the most important event of the baseball season. With baseball’s reputation having suffered from the Black Sox scandal of 1919 Landis did not want anything to take away from the fans faith in the game.

According to ‘The Image of Their Greatness’ by Lawrence Ritter and Donald Honig, when Ruth heard that Landis meant to enforce the rule he reportedly said, ‘Tell the old guy to go jump in the lake.’

Landis did not respond. He simply waited until late in 1921 before announcing his decision. The Commissioner fined Babe Ruth, considered the greatest player in baseball history, and his teammate Meusel their full World Series shares of $3,500 and suspended them for the first six weeks of the 1922 season. Landis’ handling of Ruth is considered by some to have strengthened his role as Commissioner more than any other act.

Despite protests from the fans, Ruth was not reinstated and began the 1922 season in street clothes. Even when he came back his suspension did not lead to reform. Ruth was suspended twice more in 1922 for arguing and throwing dirt on an umpire then cursing at another.

Ruth’s antics would not stop the greatest dynasty in baseball history from winning its second consecutive pennant. And in the 110 games that he played he hit .315 with 35 home runs and 99 RBI.

Ruth was there on opening day, as a guest in the presidential box of Warren G. Harding, who threw out the first pitch.

Dok's Dippy Newsreel (January 29, 1915, because I goofed on the dates again last night.)

Little Lefty (October 5, 6, and most of 7, 1939)

Meanwhile, the rest of the sports page is trying to make Marmaduke a thing, even having him pick sides in the World Series.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 13, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

LvK posted:

ye gods, Vera Valiant is so drat good
Guy seems genuinely surprised that they're not considering the brochure conclusive evidence. :allears:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I hope he's on the level and all the Valiants' troubles are solved by a new life in space

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

thaaaaat's politics.

Dear Liza, Dear Liza

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Mousetrapped

Huh. Original characters. What a concept.

I've been digging Mousetrapped so far. It hasn't exactly rocketed out of the gate like some other new comics, but it has my attention.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

Maybe she's not the most responsible mother, but you can tell that the author genuinely loves and likes her baby. It's so refreshing compared to For Better or For Worse, where every little baby flail would be received with a death glare. (Seriously, that scowl at the end of so many comics about baby and toddler April is just like, can you find any humor or joy in your heart?) Uchida just accepts that her baby does baby things, like smear her make-up, and "punishes" him with a big, smacking kiss instead of a smack.

Thanks for posting The Demons of Baseball, Some Guy TT. It was AMAZING.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

If we get CyberBelluso at the end of this, all is forgiven.

Cyberlluso

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been digging Mousetrapped so far. It hasn't exactly rocketed out of the gate like some other new comics, but it has my attention.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far too.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (May 4-6, 1922)

ON THE FAMILY TENNIS COURT: The regular early spring dispute between Dad and Willie concerning the playing condition of the court.

loving wrecked.

I have to admit that Little Lefty lost me with the sea monster, but I do kinda appreciate him as a sports commentator?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EBB posted:

the end no moral dot jay peg

So funny story, almost. By sheer dumb coincidence, I kiiind of ended up going through similar stuff as Planck while I was translating this. And believe me, the constant reminder of "remember what Planck did? Don't do what Planck did" was borderline therapeutic in getting through all that.

Anyway, I have a general query. As some of you might have noticed, I attempted to use Phoenix Wright style localizations for names in Demons of Baseball instead of directly transliterating them from Korean. I did this for text box reasons, making them easier to remember, and also maintaining some of the thematic implications (Planck's Korean name is not a common one and literally translates as planet, for example). I'm now mulling over whether to do the same for the Wandering Culinarian. Thoughts?

As a more specific aside to this question, there's a really stupid pun for two of the characters' names where they can be combined to form a four-letter phrase meaning something like grand feast. That's the sort of thing I'd like to at least try to reproduce in English instead of banishing to a translator's note. So far I've got Hanks and Gillian (to approximate Thanksgiving) but knowing the tendency of some posters to try and translate the untranslatable Fingerporis, I figured I'd open this one up to the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

If you need me, I'll be under the coffee table!

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, same! Even though the Steamboat basis is clearly something to grab your attention, it's doing its own thing, and the dialogue's pretty snappy!

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Maybe she's not the most responsible mother, but you can tell that the author genuinely loves and likes her baby.

Yeah, it's a very organic portrayal of "huh, guess I gotta take care of this lil pooper now, kinda cute I guess".

Some Guy TT posted:

Anyway, I have a general query. As some of you might have noticed, I attempted to use Phoenix Wright style localizations for names in Demons of Baseball instead of directly transliterating them from Korean. I did this for text box reasons, making them easier to remember, and also maintaining some of the thematic implications (Planck's Korean name is not a common one and literally translates as planet, for example). I'm now mulling over whether to do the same for the Wandering Culinarian. Thoughts?

I liked your name choices, it did make it easier to discuss the comics. It's a bit embarrassing to admit but I imagine I'd have a lot more trouble keeping a series of Korean names apart. So I'm for localized names.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 13, 2024