Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I remember in late 90s when the grocery stores on semi-rural Idaho sold comics I picked up some x-men comic books.

I had no idea what was going on so I asked my mom to pick up the issues that were referenced with * next time she was at the grocery store, having no idea they usually referenced issues that were months long gone and there was no way in hell those grocery stores still carried them.

A hard lesson to learn. I also got attached to Ben Reilly as the only active Spider-Man I knew at the time and was probably one of the few who cried when he died but such is middle-school life.

Lol I had a similar experience except it was just my mum buying me random comics for a while that I hadn't expressed any interest in, which I appreciated but was bizarre. This was in the UK too so god knows how many years behind we were, or what weird repackaged stories we were getting.

I remember getting a "Wolverine and Gambit" one for a while which seemed cool because I was 12 and we were probably getting the height of edgy stories. There was one completely incomprehensible one I still remember about Wolverine wandering through uh... an Asian city (Madripoor probably?) and going through a glowing magic door and meeting a psychic lady who spoke in riddles about his future. For once I don't think it was Jean Grey or a relative. I think he had bone claws and amnesia. I realise I am probably describing a good 60% of 90s Wolverine stories.

For Spiderman comics I came in when everyone was still recovering from the clone saga and making fun of it. Mary Jane got blown up by a stalker on a plane and the Gathering of Five happened. At one point he found a middle eastern lady kept in a birdcage by an evil wizard and made out with her despite having a wife because she was just too seductive, which felt racially insensitive even at the time.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what that Wolverine and Gambit issue was. Apparently it was a UK only book that reprinted old stories.

There's a cover that has Wolverine with bone claws, but the story inside is a reprint of an issue from the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini series. Marvel database has the comic you're looking for somewhere, but it'd take a while to find it unless we can sus out what comic it was reprinting.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

For sure, before lots of trade paperbacks and DC++ in High School the sporadic comics I had did not make too much sense, but were aesthetically badass. Had three of the Fatal Attractions issues with the foil Gambit card and stuff.

Speaking of badass nonsense, why can't our guy Deadpool get a long ongoing lately? And why so much time between those runs? There is DP money being left on the table.

edit: oh hey DP is getting a new ongoing soon, how about that, written by Ziglar.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 12, 2024

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol I had a similar experience except it was just my mum buying me random comics for a while that I hadn't expressed any interest in, which I appreciated but was bizarre. This was in the UK too so god knows how many years behind we were, or what weird repackaged stories we were getting.

I remember getting a "Wolverine and Gambit" one for a while which seemed cool because I was 12 and we were probably getting the height of edgy stories. There was one completely incomprehensible one I still remember about Wolverine wandering through uh... an Asian city (Madripoor probably?) and going through a glowing magic door and meeting a psychic lady who spoke in riddles about his future. For once I don't think it was Jean Grey or a relative. I think he had bone claws and amnesia. I realise I am probably describing a good 60% of 90s Wolverine stories.

For Spiderman comics I came in when everyone was still recovering from the clone saga and making fun of it. Mary Jane got blown up by a stalker on a plane and the Gathering of Five happened. At one point he found a middle eastern lady kept in a birdcage by an evil wizard and made out with her despite having a wife because she was just too seductive, which felt racially insensitive even at the time.

Oh man The Gathering of the Five. That brings back memories. They did the reset right after that and it was the first time I dealt with a reset for comics so I was confused

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Fell down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what that Wolverine and Gambit issue was. Apparently it was a UK only book that reprinted old stories.

There's a cover that has Wolverine with bone claws, but the story inside is a reprint of an issue from the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde mini series. Marvel database has the comic you're looking for somewhere, but it'd take a while to find it unless we can sus out what comic it was reprinting.

Lmao it's so relieving that I'm not just a complete moron, I've definitely tried to find it before.

Other things I remember about it that probably don't help:

Gambit was I think fighting contras

Wolverine throws a motorbike at some Triad men after stabbing it with his claws and it explodes

Wolverine wakes up in what I now realise is an Apocalypse Now homage and refers to his tongue feeling like sandpaper because he has a hangover, which in retrospect, how on earth can he get a hangover

I love 90s bullshit

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I love 90s bullshit

Speaking of this, I saw a cover of an X-Men "villains guide" today which featured some sort of cyborg Apocalypse who had robotic claws.

Look at this glorious bullshit!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Speaking of this, I saw a cover of an X-Men "villains guide" today which featured some sort of cyborg Apocalypse who had robotic claws.

He's as far about mutant as mutants are above humans and that means he can turn his arms into robot claws

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

EX-VILLAINS

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I can’t remember if that showed up in the comics/cartoon show, but it was definitely a 90’s action figure.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

I liked his design from, speaking of recent Sinister developments, the Cyclops and Jean Grey miniseries that got into Essex's origins. I always like when they play up the Egyptian motifs and give us basically biotech pharaoh Apocalypse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No that’s just Apocalypse, he can freely control his bodies cells and reshape them into various forms.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah I was about to post that Apocalypse can literally do that, it is within the scope of his powers.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The pig nose is more concerning

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Joe Fisto posted:

The pig nose is more concerning

Sinister taped his nose up like at the start of Pee Wee's Big Adventure and he hasn't noticed yet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those are the alternate arms his action figure had.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I can’t remember if that showed up in the comics/cartoon show, but it was definitely a 90’s action figure.

In early X-Factor he was basically like Evil Plastic Man.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
If you don't think Apocalypse isn't a T-1000 on top of whatever the story needs you haven't been paying attention

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I can see how you're confused, but that's not Apocalypse, it's his cousin Apoclawlypse

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Is Apocalypse's ability to change shape/size a feature of the Celestial armor or part of his power suite?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is Apocalypse's ability to change shape/size a feature of the Celestial armor or part of his power suite?

Power set I believe.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

Power set I believe.

Yeah something about being able to control himself on a molecular level

Edit: misgendered En Sabah Nur

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 13, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah something about being able to control her myself on a molecular level

Yeah, that's his power basically, boosted by Celestial tech.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I remember once on these very forums, when the Apocalypse movie was announced, someone in some thread asked "what are Apocalypse's powers, anyway?" and the answer some clever goon who's name I forget gave was to quote "he is the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against him and be broken!"
But yeah, joking aside, that kind of is the answer. I think they've maybe gotten a bit better about it in recent years/decades, but for the 80s and 90s I'm pretty sure Apocalypse's power was emphatically just "shapeshifting + whatever the story needs"

EDIT: Like, hell, how does Apocalypse's immortality work? Body hopping? Regeneration comas? Regeneration in special locations like Ra's al-Ghul and his Lazarus Pits? Just straight up immrtality? Yes. No. All of these!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Okay sure but WTF is that Magneto costume? It's like that weird Cyclops costume he never wore that for some reason was all over promotional stuff a decade ago

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Listen, if you got it you flaunt it baby!

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

EDIT: Like, hell, how does Apocalypse's immortality work? Body hopping? Regeneration comas? Regeneration in special locations like Ra's al-Ghul and his Lazarus Pits? Just straight up immrtality? Yes. No. All of these!

Who is writing him and what year is it? It's been basically all three and also just regular-rear end immortality over the decades.

Okkult
Oct 10, 2012

In early X-Factor, he would fly around by turning is arms into jet engines!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like to think after living thousands of years at some points Apocalypse would just try out some goofy rear end poo poo for fun and to mess with people.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He is as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you. :colbert:

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Apocalypse is very humble for never mentioning how he saved the world AND created Krakoa at the same time until the Krakoa era

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Apocalypse is very humble for never mentioning how he saved the world AND created Krakoa at the same time until the Krakoa era
He’s really turned over a new leaf

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Reminder that Apocalypse exists because Louise Simonson thought the idea of The Owl as a badass was stupid af.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

danbanana posted:

Reminder that Apocalypse exists because Louise Simonson thought the idea of The Owl as a badass was stupid af.

Yeah, deciding he should challenge the O5 was certainly a creative decision Bob Layton made.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the more you think about it the more it feels like Bob Layton was trolling with that original X-Factor

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Alaois posted:

the more you think about it the more it feels like Bob Layton was trolling with that original X-Factor

Chris Claremont wouldn't disagree.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Codependent Poster posted:

I like to think after living thousands of years at some points Apocalypse would just try out some goofy rear end poo poo for fun and to mess with people.

There is a point near the end of the O5 X-Factor where the issue is basically told through Cyclops narration and he actually speculates as to if he was doing that before and is doing it then because instead of shape changing he was just being big and shooting at them instead of previous tricks. Then he blows him up with a blast.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The first comic I bought with my own money was the one issue of Uncanny with Jean on the cover near the very start of Onslaught. Like it was the second or third issue of the whole crossover.

Being like 10 and coming from xmen animated was wild.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao when I started I first got New Mutants (warlock was p cool okay?) and theres references to tons of mutants being murdered off panel during the mutant massacre, and the other time everyone had apparently spent a year fighting on a place called Battleworld* {see the Secret War miniseries on sale now true believers!} :v Its just been my assumption growing up that theres always stuff going on that you'll never see because I'm at the mercy of whenever I'd get down to the newsstand and had enough change.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Marvel should do a big event that takes place entirely off-panel in a miniseries that doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

that was Empyre