Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
:siren: The vote is closed. :siren:

Capital City Location
Lhasa: 13 (ThatBasqueGuy, Hellioning, vanity slug, AJ_Impy, Lynneth, NewMars, Yuiiut, habeusdorkus, idhrendur, kw0134, Dr_Gee, Grizzwold (with Kolkata as market capital), Crazycryodude)
Kolkata: 0
New City: 10 (Pacho, QuoProQuid, karmicknight, Tulip, GunnerJ, Carvor, Technowolf, zanni, RabidWeasel, SirPhoebos)

City Names:
Lasylia: 2 (Pacho, ThatBasqueGuy)
Better Lhasa: 1 (Technowolf)

Lhasa shall remain the capital. A new city in North Bengal shall be named Lasylia.

More votes in the coming days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
INTERLUDE: VIEW FROM A RUINED MONASTERY, 1860

In tradition, the kings of Tibet were pulled back up by the same cord that had lowered them from the heavens, that they may not die on earth. Sunitidevi Purgyal, not five feet from you, looks as if she is about to float away, searching idly for knot of rope suspended from the firmament, ready to take her off.

Your expedition makes its lonesome way up towards the plateau. The lean and hardy ponies step gingerly, like sneaking children, over the coiled ribbonlike paths, the long gap between railways, where the telegraph is silent. When they reach the step on the plateau they are surrounded by waving feather grass and sedge, fields of lavender. Stray dogs circle around and head in the opposite direction.

You approach a dzong - a fortified monastery - in ruins, its foundation shattered and the walls and square roof sloping down, the structure slumping like a kneeling elephant. Atop the crumpled roof, there is perched an ash-grey vulture, a venerable and sacred bird guarding the building's ruined majesty. You are close enough to hear Colonel Agarwal order a hapless commissioned officer closer, demanding answers. She squints and grimaces, the sun dipping low as you feel wind scraping across your face, the vast spaces closing in. She gathers her staff close. "We will camp outside for tonight. Not inside, not in the courtyard - I don't want everyone to get caught if it caves in. Though I'll ask a look inside for anything of use. I will be taking volunteers."

If there are no volunteers, then there will be volunteered. You say that you will. "Thank you, Sergeant, anyone else?"

"I will!"

You see Agarwal grimace and you pivot. Purgyal Sunitidevi, the claimant empress, your expedition's charge, has raised her hand and asks to join.

"No, you may not. It is my responsibility to get you to Lhasa safely." She looks around. "Lieutenant Ngodrup! As you are familiar with the monastery perhaps you should assist in the exploration." You hear him reply yes, and then when you are dismissed, you make ready your bedding and search for a lantern. The door is cold and the fingers of darkness grope out in front of you. You hear the lieutenant whisper, in her accented Tibetan, "I beg you, be careful."

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
May 5, 1860

Art by Pachito

Sangita Chautirya, Sikyong of the Republic of Tibet, May 5, 1860

Mind the workers. They're putting up the new signs in Chinese and Bengali. Yes, put it there, thank you Mr. Ma, next to the painting of the pyramid-

I had the chance to meet with the planners for the city of Lasylia. Grid plan, wide streets, very impressive. The furniture assemblies and arts academies are promising additions. Before the election this year, I am obligated to pay a visit.

We all must pay official visits to a multitude of cities. I know for a fact we in the Republic now are home to some of the largest cities on earth at this point.

But for official business, we remain in Lhasa. The vote is decided. We shall do our business for the republic here. If the pilgrims can make their way here prostrating every few steps, then we can do it in a carriage or by train. Besides, we can get Nepali or Sichuanese cuisine here - we are not missing too much.

But - enough business. We have much to discuss. The day is short.

:siren: Vote 2: Names :siren:

We should talk about a new name for the Republic.

When you look over the history of the past thousand years, of this place, of these people, what do you see? The Sacred Tibetan Empire this, the Tibetan Republic that, the first and second Tibetan Empire. If we have to drop the pretense of aristocratic rule, this is one gesture that counts for much.

We are on our third republic still - we nearly lost it - and we have to accomplish this rightly. The Tibetan Republic, then the Restored or Sacred Empire, then the Empire -- look it's not all about us anymore, it's not about just the plateau anymore.

Aside from some eccentric who decided to produce steam engines in Rudok or wherever, we are now in the position where we are in a government with tens of millions of people who no longer live or work or worship on the plateau. To deny this would be folly.

We have to include everyone else in making decisions or reforming the republic or the republic is done for. A few aristocrats tried Wangyal's way of denying it, to keep the empire together by force alone. And where is he now?

So, here's how we're doing this. Anyone can propose a name.

Any name requires at least one co-sponsor. Just say you co-sponsor it and you're good. You can come up with a name and co-sponsor a name in the same post.

In a few days, we'll have a simple highest-count vote of any sponsored name, or you could vote to keep the name Tibet.

That's all. Let's get to it.

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 11, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Greater Tibetan Co-Prosperity Sphere

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
How about the Seven Rivers Republic? (Yellow, Yangtze, Mekong, Salween, Irrawaddy, Brahmaputra, Ganges)

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
After spilled blood and struggle our Republic is more than the high lords of the Plateau, the ports in Bengal or the roaring industries of Sichuan. We stand at the top of the world and at the center of it, more than the sum of our parts. In my travels to Carantania I learned about the fascinating Red Jugs Culture that ruled vast portions of Awiropa and how they had a name for all the lands east of the Indus river, that in their primitive minds extended up towards the heavens: Eisha

So I propose we honor the simple yet clear vision of these wise ancients and rename our republic to The United States of Eisha

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

NewMars posted:

How about the Seven Rivers Republic? (Yellow, Yangtze, Mekong, Salween, Irrawaddy, Brahmaputra, Ganges)

Co-sponsored!

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

NewMars posted:

co-sponsoring this one

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

Putting forward my own proposal: the Republic of Three Nations. Let ours be a union of the peoples of Tibet, India and China, working together to a shared future of prosperity and harmony.

zanni fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 11, 2024

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

zanni posted:

Putting forward my own proposal: the Republic of Three Nations. Let ours be a union of the peoples of Tibet, India and China, working together to a shared future of prosperity and harmony.

Co-sponsoring, albeit with reservations about that pun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We still have the Plateu and therefore we should remain The Tibetan Republic.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
Seven Rivers Republic

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Attesting to the supreme divides within the Republic and the need to acknowledge the importance of the unique nations within our republic, I would recommend Tibet henceforth be known formally as the Quadruple Republic of Tibet, Nepal, Sichuan, and Bengal.

More informally, we can call ourselves the Quadruple Republic

We can increase the number (Quintuple, Sextuple, Septuple) should we accept more cultures and represent new cultures within our country. Our leader should be sworn in separately in each capital according to the rights and traditions of each region.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Hellioning posted:

We still have the Plateu and therefore we should remain The Tibetan Republic.

Co-sponsored.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

NewMars posted:

Near-immediately knocked it out of the park with this one

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The Mountainous Republic.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

in true democratic fashion, my vote is available to the highest bidder

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

in true democratic fashion, my vote is available to the highest bidder

Want to be vice-chair of the Greater Tibetan Co-Prosperity Sphere naming proposal committee?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

NewMars posted:

Joining with this (as amusing as I find becoming the USE).

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Pacho posted:

After spilled blood and struggle our Republic is more than the high lords of the Plateau, the ports in Bengal or the roaring industries of Sichuan. We stand at the top of the world and at the center of it, more than the sum of our parts. In my travels to Carantania I learned about the fascinating Red Jugs Culture that ruled vast portions of Awiropa and how they had a name for all the lands east of the Indus river, that in their primitive minds extended up towards the heavens: Eisha

So I propose we honor the simple yet clear vision of these wise ancients and rename our republic to The United States of Eisha

Oh great, another jugaboo. As an archaeologist I must inform you that all of these myths were created by later writers and outright fraudsters. Hell, I'm personally not even sure we can call the scratchings we find associated with Red Jug sites to be a true script, and it's probably some kind of limited ritualistic syllabary with no narrative element. In this paper I will *continues for sixteen pages, no primary sources, liberal use of dynamite*

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also for Seven Rivers or whatever that translates to in Tibetan (Dün Tsangpo?)

My proposal: The nation is the roof of the world. It's pinnacle literally and in some aspects literally. The name should suit it. Not unlike how those in the East once named their nation literally the Middle Kingdom (中國) or combined with a different self-aggrandizement (華夏, lit. beautiful grandness) to make 中華. The name should be aspirational and proud but still true. It should be སྟེང གནམ རྒྱལ་ཁབ, pronounced Stenggnam Gyal Khap which translates literally to Upper Sky Country

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

NewMars posted:

So thinking ahead to a flag, I looked up colors associated with the rivers, and found

Yellow: yellow
Yangtze: blue
Mekong: green
Salween: black
Brahmaputra: red
Ganges: pink

Several of those, of neat incidence to us, are the Tibetan associations (Salween, Brahmaputra). The Yangtze one is an English one so ??, the Mekong one is a circuitous Chinese one, and the Ganges one is a part of the myth/association with Ganga.

Quick wikipedia'ing did not show me one for Irrawaddy. In universe I can definitely imagine a committee getting to where I got then just forcing themselves to come up with one for Irrawaddy just to make a theme.

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

Tulip posted:

So thinking ahead to a flag, I looked up colors associated with the rivers, and found

Yellow: yellow
Yangtze: blue
Mekong: green
Salween: black
Brahmaputra: red
Ganges: pink

Several of those, of neat incidence to us, are the Tibetan associations (Salween, Brahmaputra). The Yangtze one is an English one so ??, the Mekong one is a circuitous Chinese one, and the Ganges one is a part of the myth/association with Ganga.

Quick wikipedia'ing did not show me one for Irrawaddy. In universe I can definitely imagine a committee getting to where I got then just forcing themselves to come up with one for Irrawaddy just to make a theme.

Felt like trying to make a flag based off this; decided on purple for the Irrawaddy because it seemed to fit!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'd guess white for the river since it's named for a mythical elephant that seems to be depicted as white

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Maybe do something like the Seychelles flag where it's not just rectangular bars of color?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Maybe do something like the Seychelles flag where it's not just rectangular bars of color?

Vertical bars then? Every time another major river is added the flag gets longer

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Vertical bars then? Every time another major river is added the flag gets longer

Oh, I like this.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

A drive to conquer all of Asia so that the flag becomes too long for wind to ever properly lift it horizontal

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I also like Seven Rivers Republic, trying to build off of what zanni had done and use vertical bars as well as the old eternal knot of the Tibetan Republic for continuity:

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

Thordain posted:

I also like Seven Rivers Republic, trying to build off of what zanni had done and use vertical bars as well as the old eternal knot of the Tibetan Republic for continuity:

oo thats WAY better than what i did! great work, this rocks

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

yeah ill vote Seven Rivers Republic, worst case we just become like the 48 rivers Republic and have sectarian wars over what counts as a tributary stream vs independent river

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
My rough tally:

-Greater Tibetan Co-Prosperity Sphere
-Seven Rivers Republic (cosponsored by zanni, Pacho, SirPhoebos, Xelkelvos, ThatBasqueGuy)
-United States of Eisha
-Republic of Three Nations (cosponsored by NewMars)
-Remain the Tibetan Republic (cosponsored by habeusdorkus)
-Quadruple Republic
-The Mountainous Republic
-Upper Sky Country/སྟེང གནམ རྒྱལ་ཁབ

I'll leave it up until tomorrow if anybody wants to add or co-sponsor other names, and then I'll draw up a formal vote.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd guess white for the river since it's named for a mythical elephant that seems to be depicted as white

More on this since I'm not phone posting:

From Encyclopedia Britannica

quote:

Its name is believed to derive from the Sanskrit term airāvatī, meaning “elephant river.”
This name is very similar to Airavata, a white divine elephant. It's also very close to Iravati who might also be the namesake and is said to be Airavata's mother. While pink is a pretty color, I'd wager silver or grey would probably be better to symbolize it based on the color of elephants or even white for Airavata.

For the Yangtse, basically the color of blue is associated with it only because it was meant to compliment the Yellow River. This was done in the 1700s but fell out of use as it was wholly unrelated to any of the river's Chinese names. The closest color associations I can find are one section translated as the "Gold Sands River" based off of the actual gold sands one could find there, and one of the headwaters known in Tibetan as "Red Water". Otherwise its transliterated name is literally "Long River"

The rivers also have animal associations depending on the language, some in Tibetan in case someone wants to make a coat of arms/seal:
Brahmaputra: Horse - The upper stream is the Tibetan river, Yarlung Tsangpo whose upper section is translated as "Horse River"
Yangtse: Yak - One of the headwater rivers in Tibet before it becomes the Jinsha is the Tongtian River which is literally known as "Water of the Female Yak" in Tibetan.
Yellow: Peacock - The Tibetan name is "River of the Peacock"
Irrawaddy: Elephant - see above
Ganges: Crocodile - The river is named after the goddess Ganga who rides a crocodile-like creature called a makara which is interpreted to be either a crocodile (or a water monitor or even a dewgong or dolphin)
Mekong: Dragon - The Vietnamese name for it is "Nine Dragons River"
Salwee: Can't find anything for this unfortunately and honestly, the one for Mekong was already a little stretch for my sake.

If vertical stripes seems boring, a Peacock/fan based design wouldn't be a bad fit either (yes, it'd end up looking like the NBC logo, but lol)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

If vertical stripes seems boring, a Peacock/fan based design wouldn't be a bad fit either (yes, it'd end up looking like the NBC logo, but lol)

I also like this.

The Seychelles style of Diagonal expanding stripes rules:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

habeasdorkus posted:

I also like this.

The Seychelles style of Diagonal expanding stripes rules:

The idea has potential.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 13, 2024

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh I REALLY like those.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Hell yeah flags!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ikasuhito posted:

The idea has potential.

I like the second one.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Rubix Squid posted:

Hell yeah flags!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Rubix Squid posted:

Hell yeah flags!

:same: