Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I played base Icarus like six months ago and got pretty pissed off that they're releasing "DLC"s while still not having a finished product. Haven't gone back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I've been playing the new survival mode in Fortnite, Fortnite Lego, and it's a surprisingly decent survival game. I'm not sure it has any longevity but the early game so far is enjoyable.

Yeah I liked it but it doesn’t have longevity. I just stopped playing when I got to iron. It’s kind of badly balanced with how much brightcore you need for smelting and the sources don’t seem renewable. Tools constantly breaking with the amount of resources needed to craft them annoyed me also.

It was fun for a few weeks though which is great for a free game.

Also 1600 coins (basically $16) for a skin? I can’t believe people spend that much. No wonder epic has so much money to give away free games.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

bird food bathtub posted:

I played base Icarus like six months ago and got pretty pissed off that they're releasing "DLC"s while still not having a finished product. Haven't gone back since.

I don't mind the map expansion DLCs but I'm less impressed by the decoration dlcs

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hot take: For all that Grounded has a pretty significant combat difficulty curve based on parries, blocks and aggressive high damage enemies with significantly more health than you, it's genuinely the most fun and engaging combat system I've encountered in any survival simulation game that I've played.

Majority of survival games I've played are just gear checks and mashing your face into something and hoping your DPS is high enough to kill whatever you're fighting before it kills you. which isn't always a bad thing mind you but it certainly makes the combat itself less engaging.

Icarus certainly is the latter and while it's amusing knowing i can just axe something a question or introduce it to my shotgun, it certainly isn't that engaging.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, there's not much involvement in survival games when it comes to combat unfortunately. I don't think I've ever found one that's "great".

I have been trying out Zombie Survival Game Online for a few hours and that's interesting.

It's like a mash up of Zomboid Tarkov and Minecraft. It's still early, they're planning a full launch in 2027, but it looks good. Seems promising. But light on content so far and the building mechanics aren't good right now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My only hesitation about Pacific drive is when I first saw it I kind of assumed it was more of a “you slowly discover a twisted world” and from the start I’ve seen on the streams they pretty much have characters immediately start using new words and exasperatedly start to mention “Remnants” and whatever. That’s fine, but it makes the game more of just sort of a quirky sort of fantasy/sci-fi and less… I dunno. Atmospheric and creepy? I’m not doing a good job of describing it but that left me a little bummed, not that I’m not still excited to try it out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I liked Icarus and didn't mind the grind, but I wish I had friends who were interested in building a home together in these kinda games :shobon:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

My only hesitation about Pacific drive is when I first saw it I kind of assumed it was more of a “you slowly discover a twisted world” and from the start I’ve seen on the streams they pretty much have characters immediately start using new words and exasperatedly start to mention “Remnants” and whatever. That’s fine, but it makes the game more of just sort of a quirky sort of fantasy/sci-fi and less… I dunno. Atmospheric and creepy? I’m not doing a good job of describing it but that left me a little bummed, not that I’m not still excited to try it out.

Well Pacific drive is set in 1996 and the events started in like 1955 so that’s a lot of years worth of stuff.

Also from the first few minutes of the stream I watched there weren’t supposed to be any people in there in the first place.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Icarus is perfectly passable if somehow you skip all the other survival games. I just can't think of any other survival game that I would want to play less than Icarus. Conan, Grounded, Valheim, Rust, Minecraft... you would almost certainly have a better time with any of those than Icarus. Even Craftopia or Palworld which is coming out in a couple weeks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well Pacific drive is set in 1996 and the events started in like 1955 so that’s a lot of years worth of stuff.

Also from the first few minutes of the stream I watched there weren’t supposed to be any people in there in the first place.

Sure, I mean maybe once I can play it myself my attitude will change. I just thought it would be a much more lonesome and solitary creepy rather than characters yacking semicomedically through a radio. Maybe not worse, but not what I envisioned.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Icarus is perfectly passable if somehow you skip all the other survival games. I just can't think of any other survival game that I would want to play less than Icarus. Conan, Grounded, Valheim, Rust, Minecraft... you would almost certainly have a better time with any of those than Icarus. Even Craftopia or Palworld which is coming out in a couple weeks.

This is overly harsh imo, and I say that having played all of those but Rust because sorry but Rust is just not good. All of those games have the usual tedium of survival games (I would not qualify Minecraft as a survival game but you listed it so...), with varying degrees of combat engagement.

Ironically I was coming in here to post about finally really hitting the high tier tech grind wall in Icarus. Motherfucking copper of all things is what holds you up. You need so much to make copper wire, which Electronics requires three times as much of as gold wire. Hot drat you need so much goddamn copper. I'd still recommend this game personally but also it's still totally fair to wait for at least one more major update.

I still really enjoy Icarus and my new Moa friend Dinner has certainly helped that immensely for getting around, should have tried taming much earlier.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s still dumb but the only thing that kept me from playing Icarus more was that higher difficulty weather would set the whole forest on fire with lightning and ruin my vistas for my first forest base with no way to prevent or eventually recover from this.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched some pacific drive and it looks neat but it seems more like a theme park game with survival aspects? Like the areas are instanced and there's a lot of dialog thrown at you by people over the radio while you look for stuff to fix and upgrade your car. I can understand that there's no base building as your car is the base, which is a neat mechanic but it also doesn't seem like there's a lot of exploration?

It still looks neat though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's really more roguelite than survival. There's an inventory and progressive upgrades and the like but nothing about it strikes me as "survival" in the sense people would normally understand it here.

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
I tried Icarus again and instantly rage quit when I couldn’t skin a buffalo with a stone knife. I hate the pointless skill/item/resource gating in this game, just make it take longer or be less efficient.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

It's really more roguelite than survival. There's an inventory and progressive upgrades and the like but nothing about it strikes me as "survival" in the sense people would normally understand it here.

Here’s another video and he says it’s definitely a survival game

https://youtu.be/KYFUXf-kk9w?si=TtlMu9BtkTpUxVKO

For better or worse.

This game looks cool AF.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

It’s still dumb but the only thing that kept me from playing Icarus more was that higher difficulty weather would set the whole forest on fire with lightning and ruin my vistas for my first forest base with no way to prevent or eventually recover from this.

There's a mod to fix that.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

I had the opposite reaction lol I was worried it was going to be too far into the grim horror realm for me to enjoy much but then I watched someone with early access play it a bit and it looks way lighter than I expected. Pre-ordered it today, actually. I'm ready for My Summer Car in the Weird Northwest.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There's a mod to fix that.

Then I may give it another go! I didn’t realize there were mods at all, actually.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
my summer cthulhu

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

my summer cthulhu

:hmmyes:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Then I may give it another go! I didn’t realize there were mods at all, actually.

Yeah I uninstalled this yesterday due to the grind/balance for single player being awful. Didn't realize mods existed either as I assumed this was a quasi always online type thing, should fix the issues I have.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Things Icarus does good: the building system is super robust, to the point I just discovered you can make pillars diagonal or horizontal and it blew my mind. Any building piece that isn't a deployable (windows, doors, trapdoors are the deployables off the top of my head) you should probably hold R at some point and see what weird poo poo you can make.

Once you get the hang of it the building system is pretty intuitive as well.

fwiw trees do grow back, it just takes a hella long time. I feel you on this though, vast swathes of forest just dyin' to lightning started fire sucks. At least it's at least a good source of charcoal if you aren't constantly burning wood in fires!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Sunkenland has their next update on beta. Gives the gun modification options and most importantly, a bigger air tank.

I slept on Icarus, the talk here made me check it out and it looks extremely my poo poo.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The first couple of missions in Icarus pissed me off something fierce because of the endless waves of animals when you installed the sensor. I just figured out that you have to go slow and not try to rush it. Take your time, get some bone armor and weapons, and even build a honeycombed structure around the scanners.

Edit - Bear jousting has changed the game from me. From bear food to bear killer in one easy step (Dev's hate this!)

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 15, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Canuckistan posted:

The first couple of missions in Icarus pissed me off something fierce because of the endless waves of animals when you installed the sensor. I just figured out that you have to go slow and not try to rush it. Take your time, get some bone armor and weapons, and even build a honeycombed structure around the scanners.

Edit - Bear jousting has changed the game from me. From bear food to bear killer in one easy step (Dev's hate this!)

idk when but they added hedgehog spikes; throw a bunch of those down in front of the sensors and let stuff impale itself to death. They’re pretty crucial once you start getting the bullshit elephant/mammoth spawns for those missions

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

idiotsavant posted:

idk when but they added hedgehog spikes; throw a bunch of those down in front of the sensors and let stuff impale itself to death. They’re pretty crucial once you start getting the bullshit elephant/mammoth spawns for those missions

Yeah, they certainly wasn't around on launch and it was a bit of a chore back then doing some of the missions.

Large parts of the game are much improved in the last 100+ weeks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love Icarus but the early game against wildlife is complete rear end. It gets better once you get some tools. I think the open world is fine but it's at odds with them wanting to be a rogue like. The building and environment and the gathering loot and building loop is so addictive... Probably best to just use cheat engine to give yourself inf hp until you start making iron weapons then turn it off

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I love Icarus but the early game against wildlife is complete rear end. It gets better once you get some tools. I think the open world is fine but it's at odds with them wanting to be a rogue like. The building and environment and the gathering loot and building loop is so addictive... Probably best to just use cheat engine to give yourself inf hp until you start making iron weapons then turn it off

I started Open World to learn the game and get some levels, but I didn't really feel like I needed Iron to deal with any wildlife in the first except for maybe the Alpha Wolf mission. Hell I'd say the real speed bumps are the initial level locks on tier 2 tech (level 10 gated if I remember right) and once you have all the important blue prints unlocked in T2 you can slam through all the early missions pretty easily. T3 is only necessary once you need to start killing bears or larger regularly.

Even on Hard difficulty missions once you get bone armor you're pretty drat safe, and most anything threatening can be oneshot or nearly oneshot by a bow and bone arrows. Anything that survives can be dealt with via your choice of melee, stone or bone. I'd actually stopped using ranged for a while cause i thought it was too cheap lol. Gotta run down your prey with an axe to keep ot interesting. :black101:

Overall I'm curious if I went back in time and started with Missions instead of Open World of I'd feel differently. The only times I actually died in open world were discovering Polar Bears during one of the simple missions.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
If you turn off the killcam the ranged attacks are much harder. It's basically an aimbot.

Ranged is very OP though, esp if you use the archery skills. I'm not sure if it's my perks or mods but my bone arrows are like 150 damage each.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

If you turn off the killcam the ranged attacks are much harder. It's basically an aimbot.

Ranged is very OP though, esp if you use the archery skills. I'm not sure if it's my perks or mods but my bone arrows are like 150 damage each.

Does the killcam actually have an aimbot effect? if so lol, lmao. Past a certain distance or if a target is moving perpendicular hitting shots are a lot harder for sure.

That said I've gotten a shotgun now and only need to whip it out for large chunky targets, especially if there's multiple. Jaguars are still the most threatening medium sized animal I've faced, absolutely terrifying.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
There is indeed a huge aimbot bonus when the killcam is on..it really makes headshots very easy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah archery skills plus killcam headshot trick makes the "early game" incredibly trivial. My "early game" usually took about 5 minutes and its making a knife, bow, axe, pick, and like 5 stone arrows. Stealth bonus + headshot means any small sheep up to medium deer are instakills; kill one or two for bone arrows and everything short of a bear or a scorpion is an instakill from stealth with the starter bow. I get some wood to make a bone scythe to quick farm fiber for cloth armor and for workstation building, farm enough stone for a smelting oven or w/e, and then go farm uhhh, 130? 140? iron ore from a cave which lets you go directly to a steel pick and skip iron entirely. after that I made a longbow, steel axe, steel knife, and steel hammer and i'm basically fully set for the entire mission. I build all my workstations right in the cave and either leave the crappy ones there and take the anvil with me or take what I need.

If you want to make it even more trivial get the portable furnace, it's super tiny, efficient, and lets you skip getting a bunch of stone.

It's one of the reasons I quit playing originally - the early game loop for the original missions boiled down to either a) get longbow b) slaughter everything or a) get longbow b) oops megagrind for tier 4 poo poo good luck lol

Some of the missions seem to have changed a bit but there are still a lot that basically remain the same and it's fuckin rough. Also the rogue-like thing always bothered me, because it pretends to be a rogue-like but it's really not at all, and it would definitely be a better game if it were. Like sometimes different caves pop up in different places depending on mission but it's always the same basic map with the same basic mission goals; there's nothing rogue-like about it. It would be way more interesting if you had to navigate randomly changing terrain & biospheres between missions due to the constant storms & terraforming

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

Even on Hard difficulty missions once you get bone armor you're pretty drat safe, and most anything threatening can be oneshot or nearly oneshot by a bow and bone arrows.

Huh?

Bow and Arrow (shortbow) takes forever for me to kill anything even with crits to the head

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Killcam?

I guess that's from investing in melee stuff, I ignored all the melee traits cause i wanna pick up and collect rocks

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The killcam when you oneshot stuff in the head with the bow.

You can turn it off In the options.

Melee is Def great now too though, recently been playing with the spear and holy crap is that OP at high levels. 6k damage crit hits.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There is indeed a huge aimbot bonus when the killcam is on..it really makes headshots very easy.

wow that's kind of a bummer, I've hit some long range shots I'm proud of not knowing I got significantly aided lol. I'll have to try turning that off.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Huh?

Bow and Arrow (shortbow) takes forever for me to kill anything even with crits to the head

Killcam?

I guess that's from investing in melee stuff, I ignored all the melee traits cause i wanna pick up and collect rocks

If you shoot an animal from stealth before it notices you, you get a total 5x damage multiplier on the shot and you'll kill every forest animal up to medium deer as mentioned. Wolves are not excluded from this. Once you get bone arrows and a longbow you can oneshot even large deer and do hefty damage to anything that manages to survive the arrow.

It's gotta be from stealth to be clear so you need to be crouching before taking the shot. Take the shoot while standing and you don't get the bonus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Palaworld might just be good?

quote:

In a harsh environment where food is scarce and vicious poachers roam, danger waits around every corner. To survive, you must tread carefully and make difficult choices...even if that means eating your own Pals when the time comes.

The first review I watched said it’s essentially an open world survival game with base building and monster taming.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It's 1000% going to be Craftopia 2

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Palworld also supports up to 32 players with a dedicated server. So whatever it ends up being, it'll be amplified by coop chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I feel like listing "killing and eating your pals" as a feature is an extremely efficient way to alienate and chase away the Pokemon fan base that they're clearly trying to poach with that game.