Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

011224_5 posted:

[Doomsday Economics] a daily, $50, 75 minute login, Mass Casualty

I guess you'd be the one to know about $50 a day in logins. Although it doesn't seem like you ever manage to get 75 minutes of posting out of the deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

loquacius posted:

Bummed I missed daycare costs chat. People are always shocked when they hear how much daycare costs.

The baseline appears to be "how much would you make from being able to work because your kid is in daycare? Ok that's how much it costs." It is unsustainable and ridiculous in an economy where you need two incomes to sustain a household

remember when they were promising universal pre-k

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

Bummed I missed daycare costs chat. People are always shocked when they hear how much daycare costs.

The baseline appears to be "how much would you make from being able to work because your kid is in daycare? Ok that's how much it costs." It is unsustainable and ridiculous in an economy where you need two incomes to sustain a household

Keep it going, it's better than tipping chat.

People have told me (people are saying it!) they pay 1800 a month per kid per month. That's more than my entire rent...in Los Angeles.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
We're going to be paying ~$1,650/month for infant (think 10-18 months old) daycare.

Most nearby places are much more expensive, have waitlists, or both. I plunked down the sign-up fee in cash when I found out there was an opening at a smaller, local place that isn't "in-home."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

That's still higher than my L.A rent lmao.

I wonder if you have to get on waiting lists for daycares before the kid is even born. Like, how do you put a name down when the kid doesn't even have a name yet?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

skooma512 posted:

I wonder if you have to get on waiting lists for daycares before the kid is even born. Like, how do you put a name down when the kid doesn't even have a name yet?

Baby Boy Lastname

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

can anyone name a single country other than USA where it doesn’t go like this

___
country’s revenue service: “how much did your employee make this year?”
employer: “this much”
revenue service: “and let’s see the data on how you withheld money from their paycheck to cover taxes.”
employer: “here it is”
the end
_____

yeah but turbotax needs to rake in billions

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

skooma512 posted:

Yes, you do. It is mostly for legacy parents who have an older sibling in the older program. The second time I heard it I dead stopped the facility tour and said out "That's hosed that I gotta pray that some bitch has to have a miscarriage for my daughter to get an infant slot here. Goodbye, take our number off your list."

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

i mean, yeah. We held a slot for our kid., bout six months before she was born. They put it down as "so and so couple's kid"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skooma512 posted:

My experience has been that center based childcare costs more than rent no matter where you are. Since having kids we've spent more on childcare than housing both in Houston and Nashville, and so does anyone else we know with kids who we know well enough to talk to about that.

If a childcare place has an insane wait-list it's because they are both decent and around or under market rate.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Y MILLENIAAL NO BABBY

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah what's causing prices to go crazy, i thought nobody could afford kids

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

i say swears online posted:

yeah what's causing prices to go crazy, i thought nobody could afford kids

No one can afford kids, so people with money are paying up for daycare, which means care centers are charging more until the people who actually have money are hitting their limits.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
surely free markets of individual rationality will solve this mess

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mustached Demon posted:

yeah but turbotax needs to rake in billions

this is blatant h&r block erasure and I won't stand for it

the green square should also burn

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lmao i just got a notice of data breach from 23andme

i love the future

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i love the future

your clone is already the size of a small dog

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1745873328894869933?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
wait is that a grand for the filmiest chair imaginable

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Palladium posted:

thousand pack but they're the size of playing cards

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Palladium posted:

some of this kinda stuff is about doing cagey transactions. buy something shady and then get told “buy this listing”.

I get up to some shady poo poo myself so I would know. One time I got told to go to this weird website and buy hundreds of packs of business cards which let us do a credit card transaction for a completely different, illegal other thing. :shrug:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Firewood number through the roof!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i love the future
pretty sure they've already had like 2 or 3 widespread breaches already? is this new or just them officially acknowledging it months later?

i never did one of those lovely things and never will.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

I can’t read the whole tweet tho

this is funny on its own as an indicator of enshittification

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

pretty sure they've already had like 2 or 3 widespread breaches already? is this new or just them officially acknowledging it months later?

i never did one of those lovely things and never will.

i'd hadn't seen one before from them but i could easily believe it

did it for my grandma, we're trying to track down some extended family on the confederate soldiers' side

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think that since it's called "X" now tweets should be called kisses

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Xs are hugs and Os are kisses

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

dk2m posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/jan/12/why-landing-on-the-moon-is-proving-more-difficult-today-than-50-years-ago

turns out that losing institutional knowledge and letting the free market create a bunch of private companies that constantly crash is a bad idea

Elon Musk himself is the modern Apollo Program, except he gets to crash everything and buy lovely apps instead of doing anything

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'd hadn't seen one before from them but i could easily believe it

did it for my grandma, we're trying to track down some extended family on the confederate soldiers' side

yea looks like there was one in october, followed by another one in december. so this is probably them acknowledging the december one. plus like another half dozen or more ones from like 2019-2022

anyways i'd wager the information is probably not that valuable, but who knows

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Shear Modulus posted:

i think that since it's called "X" now tweets should be called kisses

i fully concur, also gently caress you for having this idea

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

rawdoggers 4 trump

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Taima posted:

some of this kinda stuff is about doing cagey transactions. buy something shady and then get told “buy this listing”.

I get up to some shady poo poo myself so I would know. One time I got told to go to this weird website and buy hundreds of packs of business cards which let us do a credit card transaction for a completely different, illegal other thing. :shrug:

buying a tshirt and telling them to donate it (or never make it, idk) as payment for an indexer

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

this is one of those things you read 1/3rd into a novel before it has the funniest possible payoff in the last 10 chapters

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Holy poo poo lmao the real bad inflation rose 4.6% last month.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Palladium posted:

Apologies But I'm Unable to Assit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1745823042507256191

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
retweet in March. really make it sting

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo lmao the real bad inflation rose 4.6% last month.

slow to change my rear end this poo poo changed fast when all the business owners agreed to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This house rules, just get rid of the dumb as hell neon signs and you're good to go.