Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I am glad I found this thread!

Going to need to pick up a table saw here soon for a few projects. Hoping to get a halfway decent one for under $300. I thought I could get a decent one cheap used but theyre all either huge gently caress off size full time woodshop size, or rusted old cast iron ones with no parts or vacuum hook ups.

The DeWalt DWE7485 fits the bill price-wise at $299, provided you don’t need a dado stack. It’s a great saw, easy to set up, solid fence, etc.

I’ve been real happy with mine, I’m only upgrading to a sawstop at some point for the safety features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Table saw crosscut sleds:

All the videos I've seen of making them show them being used without the riving knife, which would get in the way. I got told "always use the riving knife". Do the sleds make it okay not to? I get that the work is supported from the rear throughout, but some of the kickback videos I've seen show the piece going upwards and not just back.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Table saw crosscut sleds:

All the videos I've seen of making them show them being used without the riving knife, which would get in the way. I got told "always use the riving knife". Do the sleds make it okay not to? I get that the work is supported from the rear throughout, but some of the kickback videos I've seen show the piece going upwards and not just back.

I use a riving knife with my sled. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't, maybe a different knife design?

I do have to have it in the lower position, where it matches the height of the blade, but that's how I use it anyway.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a relatively cheap saw and the knife isn't adjustable below sticking about 3CM above the blade - which would make it pretty likely to foul on the front fence of the sled I think. Would it be safe to trim it down to level with the top of the blade? I don't know what is and isn't safe regarding the height and I'm thinking of those Microjig Splitters that are tiny but apparently okay.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Does anyone have any insight on pneumatic paint sprayers? Wife asked for one for her birthday and would be using it for walls, ceilings, and furniture. We have an air compressor so idealy would like to utilize that more. Was thinking maybe just getting a Husky kit at Depot for what she needs, but I can appreciate a nicer tool and can justify that cost for quality.

Our compressor has a regulator built in, but would a second regulator installed on the tool be a good idea for fine control, or not necessary?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

I've got a relatively cheap saw and the knife isn't adjustable below sticking about 3CM above the blade - which would make it pretty likely to foul on the front fence of the sled I think. Would it be safe to trim it down to level with the top of the blade? I don't know what is and isn't safe regarding the height and I'm thinking of those Microjig Splitters that are tiny but apparently okay.

I would make the front fence of your crosscut jig tall enough that you can cut a pass through for your splitter. Presumably your splitter aligns with the max depth of cut of your saw, and one day you may want to use the max depth on your sled, so just make it nice and tall.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Polish posted:

Does anyone have any insight on pneumatic paint sprayers? Wife asked for one for her birthday and would be using it for walls, ceilings, and furniture. We have an air compressor so idealy would like to utilize that more. Was thinking maybe just getting a Husky kit at Depot for what she needs, but I can appreciate a nicer tool and can justify that cost for quality.

Our compressor has a regulator built in, but would a second regulator installed on the tool be a good idea for fine control, or not necessary?

How large of a compressor? Spray guns need a lot of air-like 15CFM-which usually means a large, 220V, stationary compressor. In my experience pneumatic spray guns really aren’t great for heavy bodies stuff like paint. They do great with thinner stuff like stain or lacquer though. Airless sprayers are what are usually used for spraying house paint.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
A 5 turbine HVLP can do it too, but poo poo's expensive.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Presumably your splitter aligns with the max depth of cut of your saw, and one day you may want to use the max depth on your sled, so just make it nice and tall.

No this is what I'm saying - the knife is something like 3CM taller than the max depth cut.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

No this is what I'm saying - the knife is something like 3CM taller than the max depth cut.

That's not a riving knife then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Polish posted:

It sounds like you need to look into airless sprayers. I don't think anyone is using air driven sprayers for those use cases anymore. Perhaps detail guns for furniture, but those wouldn't be appropriate for walls and the air requirements are wildly different.

I don't think you are looking for a single thing here.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Motronic posted:

It sounds like you need to look into airless sprayers. I don't think anyone is using air driven sprayers for those use cases anymore. Perhaps detail guns for furniture, but those wouldn't be appropriate for walls and the air requirements are wildly different.

I don't think you are looking for a single thing here.

Yeah I have a Very Fancy HVLP Pneumatic spray gun, several not fancy pneumatic guns, a big 15CFM compressor, a not fancy HVLP turbine rig, and every single one of them sprays actual house paint like poo poo, even witht he largest tips/needles. Have to thin it waaaay down and even then it sucks.

I've got to stain a big fence soonish and I'm thinkin real hard about an airless setup.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Oh boy.. Yeah I only have a smallish hot dog style 110 compressor. Yeah I don't know poo poo about paint so I just figured you get a spray gun and go to town.. welp back to the drawing board. Thanks guys.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've got to stain a big fence soonish and I'm thinkin real hard about an airless setup.
I dug into this over the summer and for anything thicker than stain this seems to be the answer.

My wallet made me buy roller covers instead, though.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

deimos posted:

That's not a riving knife then.

Mine (Delta 36-725) has two positions, one where it's level with the top of the blade, and one where it's significantly higher. You need to use the high setting to use the blade guard/anti-kickback pawls.

If OP's doesn't have a lower setting, you could always make the front fence high enough so the riving knife will pass through, cut through the front fence at max height without the riving knife, and then use a handsaw/jigsaw/OMT to cut clearance for the riving knife. It's probably gonna be ugly, but it should work.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Mine (Delta 36-725) has two positions, one where it's level with the top of the blade, and one where it's significantly higher. You need to use the high setting to use the blade guard/anti-kickback pawls.

If OP's doesn't have a lower setting, you could always make the front fence high enough so the riving knife will pass through, cut through the front fence at max height without the riving knife, and then use a handsaw/jigsaw/OMT to cut clearance for the riving knife. It's probably gonna be ugly, but it should work.

I read the statement as the splitter always being 3cm taller than the max, ie static.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
If the splitter/riving knife is a problem it may be better to go with one of the smaller/lighter weight options for a crosscut sled.

Like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=974H9ySCkfc

Or this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZUvoaj45uk

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's this. It's not adjustable and it stands higher than the blade because it's also the fitting for the guard/extraction hood.

I'll look into the simpler sleds, thanks.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Will I regret buying a Bauer brand Harbor Freight miter saw? There's one on sale right now. I've never used any of their power tools before. I'd avoided them for years due to reputation but started buying some stuff here and there the last year and have actually been pleasently surprised this far.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Make sure it will actually square up and if it does use it until the magic smoke appears. It's certainly not going to be a high quality machine making repeatable precision cuts but it will slice some wood for sure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah that's my experience with a bauer one my father in law made me use when we did a deck. It was poo poo.. there was lots of slop in it and it wasn't the greatest. It ran, it cut wood.. I came back the next day with my Metabo/Hitachi and did any cuts that didn't' require the extra width the slide allowed for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I just saw one of these get used in person and it's amazing:

Cordless rebar tyer. It ties and cuts with a trigger press. We truly live in the future. (Or you can if you have over $2k to spend on a tool)

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XRT01ZK

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Polish posted:

No way would I use a compressor & cup gun for latex. Maybe for smaller lacquer or poly jobs like furniture.
I have a Graco X9 series airless that's maybe smaller than what I'd call contractor size, but it handles painting an entire house or staining a deck, fence, what have you. It pushed through high grade Sherwin Williams latex with no effort. Different tips also available, but the standard one will do most materials. You can get a certified refurb for $4-500.
Although I've not used one, there's even a roller attachment for doing interior walls, ceilings if you don't like overspray indoors. It just pumps through the handle onto the roller; no more pan & roller B.S.

Harbor Freight also has their line, which I've no idea if they're reliable or durable.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Will I regret buying a Bauer brand Harbor Freight miter saw? There's one on sale right now. I've never used any of their power tools before. I'd avoided them for years due to reputation but started buying some stuff here and there the last year and have actually been pleasently surprised this far.

I think they have a higher end tool now, Hercules? but I've no idea of quality.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Cordless rebar tyer. It ties and cuts with a trigger press. We truly live in the future.

That is quite the finger lopper. :stare: How many rebars can it tie on a charge?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Vim Fuego posted:

I have spent so much on CLAMPS

the number of clamps you need for a project is always n+1

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Deviant posted:

Or one more that's longer or shorter than what you already have.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

That is quite the finger lopper. :stare: How many rebars can it tie on a charge?

It depends (tension and amount of loops is adjustable) but they advertise up to 5k #4 to #4 ties for a 5Ah battery.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SpeedFreek posted:

Or And one more that's longer or shorter than what you already have.

There we go

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SpeedFreek posted:

Or one more that's longer or shorter than what you already have.

I was doing a glue up of a long rack and found that my longest pipe clamps were half an inch too short, so I ended up threading together the only pipes that would pair up into extensions for glorious/horrifying 8 foot pipe clamps

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

I was doing a glue up of a long rack and found that my longest pipe clamps were half an inch too short, so I ended up threading together the only pipes that would pair up into extensions for glorious/horrifying 8 foot pipe clamps

You can buy longer or short sections of black pipe for Pony type clamps, or get this: you can clamp to a clamp for long pieces. Comes in handy for long cabinets.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Whatever you do just don't get the harbor freight 6' u-channel clamps. Oh my God they feel like they're made of rubber. We have a love/hate relationship as they were like $30 a pop.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Literally A Person posted:

Whatever you do just don't get the harbor freight 6' u-channel clamps. Oh my God they feel like they're made of rubber. We have a love/hate relationship as they were like $30 a pop.

If they're the ones I'm thinking of you can mill up a piece of wood to fit inside the u-channel and make them quite sturdy.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

If they're the ones I'm thinking of you can mill up a piece of wood to fit inside the u-channel and make them quite sturdy.

:aaaaa:

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKiGmRq3wY

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
At least as far as the 48" ones go haven't even felt the need to do that. I haven't used the 60 inchers before but the 48s have yet to let me down. Every time I need more I run the numbers on pipe clamps and I could buy about 3 48s for what a pair of pipe clamp ends and a 10 foot section would cost and still have money left over. And if one ever does act up (hasn't yet) I can always take it in and swap it for a new one.

Maybe I'm crazy but seems like even if better clamps could clamp better, I could always just get more of them. Of course, I'm not clamping stuff up over 4', that changes the equation significantly (or it's time to start clamping clamps while I clamp.) The Bremen parallel clamps at $40 before coupon are tempting, but again, can just buy 2 aluminum instead.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 14, 2024

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I needed a new filter for my shopvac, so I went on homedepot.com and tried to order one.

I add it to the cart and it's trying to charge me $9 for shipping... whatever, then I get to this page:

And I'm looking at that (Outside) going... does that mean there's an (Inside) option as well?

And yes! For an extra $90.01 I can get it delivered to inside my house

I imagine somehow this item is marked as being freight? It's super weird.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Deviant posted:

New & exciting metal clamps! Next I get to use my new & expensive parallel clamps

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The harbor freight portable welding table isn't flat (lol) but I got it for $60 and it's so much better than welding on the floor

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

New & exciting metal clamps! Next I get to use my new & expensive parallel clamps

If those are the Irwins, consider getting the Bremen locking pliers from HF next time. In my opinion they’re much better quality (more durable teeth and have a 1/4” square drive interface in the adjustment knob for additional tightening/loosening). Not to mention, they’re half the price

The original Vise Grips have been so bad for a few years now, just coasting on the reputation of the original name. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Where should I look to buy t-track (AKA mitre track) on its own? I can see it on Amazon but it's £10 for 30cm of extruded aluminium which seems like a piss take. I want to add it to my cross cut sled and perhaps my bench for clamps. Either specific places if in the UK, or the types of places I might need to look I guess.