Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

None of that sounds bad. Give them time, they're just figuring out each other's boundries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

khy posted:

1st incident : When they went nose-to-nose and old cat hissed and slapped at new cat. Just one little swat and then they both got freaked out when my mom got startled and yelled.

2nd incident : When old cat dashed downstairs, ran around, they got into a super brief confrontation (It's hard to tell if only 1 cat swatted at the other or if they both took a swipe, it was SUPER fast) and then old cat ran upstairs.

That sounds totally fine. If they felt comfortable to even go nose to nose that's pretty encouraging imo, even if it ended with a little swat

They gotta communicate each other's boundaries and stuff.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Definitely don't have your mom around screaming at their normal interactions lol. I think when they have those kinds of moments it's important to remain calm and emphasize with your body and verbal language that everything is fine and normal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

xzzy posted:

But the general advice is you can train them to play softer, when it gets too rough just do the disengage and walk away thing. It's hard and they probably will give you the saddest eyes in all of history but it does work.

My strategy was to hiss at them and pull away and just sort of give them the side eye for a bit from a distance the moment they went even a little bit too far, which has resulted one of who loves playing but won't play with hands at all and one of whom will play with hands but only very gently. Even as kittens my hand never ended up looking like that, though, that looks like letting them play too aggressively for too long territory. (although for mine they were mostly foot cats, which I've made clear isn't acceptable at all)

Now the only times they get me is when they misjudge an attempt to jump on my lap and catch me while slipping.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How can I stop my idiot cat from loudly yowling for food at 4am?

He's always been almost insane about food, and he and his sister were overweight, so about a year ago I started strictly portioning their food. Previously they had free access to food.

While it has not resulted in any visible weight loss, he is still extremely obsessed with food. When he started getting hungry he would do this thing where he'd wait outside whatever room I was in and as soon as I stepped out he'd dash across my apartment to his food dish, and when I didn't follow him and feed him he'd dash back to me, and then back to the food dish. It's honestly pretty annoying as he's a naturally larger cat, and overweight, so he's quite loud when running around.

A few months ago he added another tactic to his arsenal - he now sits outside my bedroom at night and starts yowling/meowing very loudly starting around 4am. It's loud enough that it sometimes wakes me up, and makes it difficult to get back to sleep.

I actually went out and bought an automatic feeder when this started, in the hopes that after a while he'd stop associating me with feeding. It hasn't worked...

Is there anything else I can do? I love him to death, but it's very irritating.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Annath posted:

He's always been almost insane about food, and he and his sister were overweight, so about a year ago I started strictly portioning their food. Previously they had free access to food.

While it has not resulted in any visible weight loss, he is still extremely obsessed with food. When he started getting hungry he would do this thing where he'd wait outside whatever room I was in and as soon as I stepped out he'd dash across my apartment to his food dish, and when I didn't follow him and feed him he'd dash back to me, and then back to the food dish. It's honestly pretty annoying as he's a naturally larger cat, and overweight, so he's quite loud when running around.

A few months ago he added another tactic to his arsenal - he now sits outside my bedroom at night and starts yowling/meowing very loudly starting around 4am. It's loud enough that it sometimes wakes me up, and makes it difficult to get back to sleep.

I actually went out and bought an automatic feeder when this started, in the hopes that after a while he'd stop associating me with feeding. It hasn't worked...

Is there anything else I can do? I love him to death, but it's very irritating.

I think the only solution is to teach him that yowling outside your door doesn't work. You'll just have to ignore him until he gives up. I don't know of any other methods.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can try making the official feeding time later. At least in my experience cats internal clocks are off by about 30-45 minutes so if I set breakfast at 7am, they'll start pestering me a little after 6. So maybe if you shift everything an hour later (assuming that's possible for you) it'll help.

But don't expect any miracles as they also seem to tell time based on sunrise/sunset because our cats tend to beg for dinner earlier and earlier as the fall season progresses.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Deteriorata posted:

I think the only solution is to teach him that yowling outside your door doesn't work. You'll just have to ignore him until he gives up. I don't know of any other methods.

Ugh... It's been like 4 months lol.

xzzy posted:

You can try making the official feeding time later. At least in my experience cats internal clocks are off by about 30-45 minutes so if I set breakfast at 7am, they'll start pestering me a little after 6. So maybe if you shift everything an hour later (assuming that's possible for you) it'll help.

But don't expect any miracles as they also seem to tell time based on sunrise/sunset because our cats tend to beg for dinner earlier and earlier as the fall season progresses.

The feeder is scheduled for 7am and 4pm. I can certainly change that, but like I said he starts yelling at like 4am lol.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I had basically the same problem, set the auto feeder to dump out three meals a day at 6 / 12 / 6, and she’s left us alone since. We don’t keep the door closed, though, and just made it clear that no amount of meowing / poking / chest-sitting was going to get her food to pop faster

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Oh well. I guess I'll keep waiting. I'm hesitant to add an additional meal, because like I said even cutting back their food neither cat (I have 2) has lost weight.

The other cat doesn't display the same behavior at all, despite them being raised from kittens together.

Of course she does her own thing where she'll wander to another room that I'm not in, then start rapidly mewing until I call her to remind her where I am and she runs back. The only doors are on the one bedroom and the bathroom, so she's usually within visual distance of me and just looking in the wrong direction :v:

She's adorable but dumb as a rock.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

You can probably get the same overall caloric intake with multiple smaller portions, if the feeder can be managed that way. That usually helps a ton because cats in the wild eat small meals throughout the day, being carnivores of small critters that are basically a few mouthfuls a piece.

Also, if the girl cat runs around meowing into the void and you start paying attention to her when before you weren't even if you were sharing the space together, that's mission accomplished :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Since people indicated the interactions weren't really negative, I brought the two cats into the same room. They aren't approaching each other right now but they ARE coexisting. No overtly uncomfortable body language either from what I can tell. Hooray?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Annath posted:

I had a roommate with a cat that was this food obsessed, and the answer is... There is none. She eventually just locked him in the bathroom at night when he started begging so she at least could sleep.

Sorry. Some cats just won't be trained.

Taking off what someone else said though, maybe make one of the feeding times in the middle of the night? Then she's not hungry all night and won't be as obsessive about anticipating her next meal.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 12, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

khy posted:

Since people indicated the interactions weren't really negative, I brought the two cats into the same room. They aren't approaching each other right now but they ARE coexisting. No overtly uncomfortable body language either from what I can tell. Hooray?

Hooray, IMO. Cats need time to get used to each other and they take it at their own pace and in their own way. You aren’t in control of how it goes, you’re just the referee - blow the whistle if blood is drawn or if one of the cats begins to truly suffer. Otherwise, this is their game.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

khy posted:

Yep, this is best case scenario. If two cats TRULY can't get along (which I HAVE had happen), they will not tolerate even being in the same space as the other without a fight. If they can ignore each other's presence, even temporarily, you're on the path to a healthy relationship. Don't intervene in anything that looks like a standoff or fight unless they ACTUALLY are hurting each other.

Fights happen because of fear. What you're seeing when they clash isn't that - it's negotiating pre-established territory and boundaries, in cat language. Don't stop them from "speaking".

khy
Aug 15, 2005

They spent about 3 hours in one another's company before new cat decided she was done with it. I was on the bed with new cat cuddling, old cat jumped up and new cat hissed and did a small lunge towards the old cat while hissing. I figured new cat was overly stressed so I picked her up to put her back downstairs where she could destress and she decided to bite and scratch my hand (Bite didn't break the skin but the scratch did).

Still, 3 hours together without any confrontations seemed good all around so hopefully a week or two of this and the cats will be comfortable enough around one another that I can open up the house to both of them again.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Annath posted:

I get special satiety food from the vet for my boy, its supposed to help him loose weight while still feeling full. He's been losing weight pretty steadily except for the times I've gone on vacation and my cat sitting parents decided to feed him more. But automatic feeder, with a smaller meal in the morning and a bigger meal at night, helped keep him from waking me up in the middle of the night.Now I normally wake up to him curled up next to my leg being adorable, it's great.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Only issue with these ideas is that I have 2 cats, and it's just not feasible for me to have them eating different foods or on different schedules.

My apartment is literally not big enough to keep them in separate rooms when I'm not around, and Fat Boy already tries to eat Fat Girl's food if she doesn't eat it fast enough.

I'm honestly not sure how the male is fat-but-not-gaining while the girl is fat-and-not-losing given it don't always catch him before he eats half her food too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Annath posted:

Only issue with these ideas is that I have 2 cats, and it's just not feasible for me to have them eating different foods or on different schedules.

My apartment is literally not big enough to keep them in separate rooms when I'm not around, and Fat Boy already tries to eat Fat Girl's food if she doesn't eat it fast enough.

I'm honestly not sure how the male is fat-but-not-gaining while the girl is fat-and-not-losing given it don't always catch him before he eats half her food too.

Microchip feeder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqtmf5r-PN8

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

I love my cats put I am absolutely not buying them each a $200 feeder + cost of the chips (I'm assuming the ID chips they already have are different).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No, it uses your existing microchips. Or you can use a collar with an RFID chip that comes with it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Annath posted:

I love my cats put I am absolutely not buying them each a $200 feeder + cost of the chips (I'm assuming the ID chips they already have are different).

I said that once, too. Then we had a cat on a ludicrously expensive perscription food and welp, they've definitely saved enough money in saved food to pay for themseves since.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
About 6 months ago, we got two ~18-month-old brother tuxedo cats. Our existing old lady did mind the previous two males she lived with, but they were both more her speed - slow and left her alone. These new boys really want to play with her, but they just end up pissing her off, to the point where my wife and I feel like they're harassing her. We make it a point to fuss at them and squirt them with the water bottle whenever we can catch them chasing her, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. We've also tried a few Feliway diffusers throughout the house, which also didn't seem to have much impact. What else could we try?

On a separate note, is there a tool that will help you compare pet insurance policies?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They don't think they're harassing her, they think they're playing with her. The thing that teaches them not to do that is her reactions, not your intervening - you're probably confusing them more than anything. That said, they're less likely to learn their lesson from her since they're adults and not kittens. You're going to just have to let it happen and hope it improves, although setting aside a space for the older lady cat that they aren't allowed in may give her some peace now and again. Your best bet is as they age and calm down they'll stop having quite so much energy to burn on her.

I've tried Feliway and I find it to be completely ineffective and way too expensive. And even if it did work, it's supposed to treat stress - your new cats aren't stressed, they're PLAYFUL. Which is totally normal.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Annath posted:

Ugh... It's been like 4 months lol.

The feeder is scheduled for 7am and 4pm. I can certainly change that, but like I said he starts yelling at like 4am lol.

Giving my cats smaller portions more frequently solved most of my problems. The feeders drop foot at 6/12/6.

The only time they bug me now is for the wet food I give them around 10-11. That starts around 9.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

does anyone else have cats that, instead of greeting you, both run to the nearest scratcher and start going to town while making pointed eye contact

it has very "the boss is here look busy" vibes

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

rofl no that’s incredible. Ours will suddenly decide it’s time for a scratch-off and sprint over to the tree together, but they don’t act like they’re trying to impress us at the same time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

cash crab posted:

does anyone else have cats that, instead of greeting you, both run to the nearest scratcher and start going to town while making pointed eye contact

Two of my cats get up and stretch when they see me, and one always scratches a bit at the carpet whenever she stretches, but they don't make eye contact.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cash crab posted:

One of our cats, the one who seems to get overstimulated the most often, will sometimes do something like this, usually by running to a rug and then kind of rolling/scratching/grabbing the rug a little bit? I suspect she's getting overexcited at people coming home (and the possibility that she might be fed, since the cats get dinner when we get home from work) and expressing that physically.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

cash crab posted:

Ferdie does this. Very pointed eye contact. We just say "oooh so angy".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

cash crab posted:

Both of mine do this. One runs to a particular ratty armchair that I literally only keep because I'm worried he'll start tearing up the couch otherwise.

The other one prefers to grab my slipper, roll over onto her side, and start doing the "gut the prey with rear claws" thing.

Both stare intently at me while doing so, and bolt as soon as I walk towards them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Isn't it just them being excited and having an outlet for the excitement they're feeling?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
yeah both of ours sometimes do this as well, and enjoy getting ruffled up and petted while they're up scratching

re: clicker training a negative - i haven't had to teach our cats 'no' because for some reason the older one has always considered the kitchen counter a no-go area, and taught his younger brother not to go up there by slapping or biting him when he tried. but this fella's clicker strats generally worked really well for me, and he has one for teaching them 'no':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kStdUi2ebo

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They don't think they're harassing her, they think they're playing with her. The thing that teaches them not to do that is her reactions, not your intervening - you're probably confusing them more than anything. That said, they're less likely to learn their lesson from her since they're adults and not kittens. You're going to just have to let it happen and hope it improves, although setting aside a space for the older lady cat that they aren't allowed in may give her some peace now and again. Your best bet is as they age and calm down they'll stop having quite so much energy to burn on her.

I've tried Feliway and I find it to be completely ineffective and way too expensive. And even if it did work, it's supposed to treat stress - your new cats aren't stressed, they're PLAYFUL. Which is totally normal.

Ok. That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it just them being excited and having an outlet for the excitement they're feeling?

🥺 oh. that is nice.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Our very needy cat wakes up around 3-4pm and gets extremely demanding for attention, which makes getting work done pretty difficult. We don't really have scheduled play with him, so I'm thinking I should start doing it, but I'm not sure what the best time for it is in order to get him to wait patiently until we're finished work. Should we play with him after work so that he knows that he'll only get play time when we're away from our desks? Should we do it right when he wakes up to placate him until his dinner time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Anyone here ever make an outdoor cat shelter? Winter’s going to get real cold soon, and I’ve seen cats every once in a while in my area (no idea if they’re feral or just indoor-outdoor). I figured building a shelter could be a good way to take my mind off of things.

That said, just because I build a shelter doesn’t mean a cat will magically appear and make use it. I actually don’t know how common feral, stray, or indoor-outdoor cats are in my area. I saw a few prior to winter, but they’re always super elusive. Worth a shot, right?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I've made one. Instructions using a plastic tote, styrofoam cooler, and straw can be found all over the web. It's better to set it up even if it doesn't get used rather than feeling nervous about community cats every time it gets cold, in my opinion.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
You may want to consider getting a camera for outside looking at the area where you might consider putting a shelter to help you make a better decision as to where to put it.

I never knew how many outdoor cats (and other animals) cut through my backyard until I set up a camera in the back (originally just to see if people were going in to my backyard). That eventually led me to set up an auto-refilling water fountain for them drink from (which saw a lot of use when it was incredibly hot), and the occasional outdoor cat shelter for when it gets colder.

Nobody ever really overstayed their welcome, they just sort of knew that if they really needed water and couldn't find it they knew at least one consistent place that was safe (there are also roaming dogs, but none of them can get over the fence). It's also kind of fun seeing on the camera who drops by (like multiple birds just hanging out and splashing around, or the odd possum, or lizard bros chilling nearby).

One of my cats was originally a kitten that got abandoned or something in the backyard who I never would have found if it wasn't for the camera (she had a sibling with her that unfortunately didn't make it, and no mom cat around ever came around looking for them).

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Due to weather my order (had some both wet and dry food) from chewy has been sitting on a Fedex truck for like, a week straight presumably freezing to -10F every night. If the cans burst that's obvious, but if they're only slightly bulged or whatnot will that still be safe? Or should I try to get chewy to replace them either way? Supposedly arriving tomorrow but they've said that like 4 days in a row.