Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
How dare you contradict me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Benagain posted:

Otoh frank zappa was anti drugs so I can't trust him on anything

he rightly understood them to be an op run by the CIA.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

he rightly understood them to be an op run by the CIA.

zappa was an op

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

zappa was an op is an op

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

last time i tried to do a pop culture thread centered around propaganda messages but that was probably too specific

so you know what just talk about whatever dumb pop culture stuff you want it doesnt need to be highbrow

no spoiler tags allowed those things are really annoying in the finer arts subforums and im assuming we all just want to yell about how our cartoons arent communist enough i dont think anyone really cares about spoilers

this is actually the op btw

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Justin Tyme posted:

everyone's just a regular person going through regular person stuff while doing a stormchaser job and the main dramatic thrust is a separated couple going through a divorce. its a miracle the thing even got made let alone had such an incredible cast

they just go hang out at the main character's mom (grandma's?) house and we the viewers feel just as much of a break as the characters do. its one of those movies where someone can ask "what's not the best, but one of the better movies of the 1990's?" and you can justifiably say "twister" and get a confused reaction because who the hell even remembers twister in 2024?

Your post brought back to mind my tinfoil hat theory about screen writer nepotism. Because you can’t replicate what made Twister good because it’s so quintessentially 90’s, in that main character is a divorced guy. That’s 90’s and you can’t do that anymore. Now the main character has to be child of a divorced guy or otherwise completely estranged from their biological parents.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

cumpantry posted:

this is actually the op btw

Memories~

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

galagazombie posted:

Your post brought back to mind my tinfoil hat theory about screen writer nepotism. Because you can’t replicate what made Twister good because it’s so quintessentially 90’s, in that main character is a divorced guy. That’s 90’s and you can’t do that anymore. Now the main character has to be child of a divorced guy or otherwise completely estranged from their biological parents.

i just remembered jungle2jungle lol

also quintessentially 90s

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the best line in mrs doubtfire is "yeah, we're his goddamn kids too"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

skooma512 posted:

But the 80s bleeding over into the 90s is the opposite of a tightening loop? Depending on what we're talking about it's arguable things like 80s fashion and entertainment kept going into the 90s, it's not like at midnight on a year ending in 9 everyone immediately starts releasing new and different poo poo.

As an aside does anyone else feel like the 00s and 10s are much less distinctive stylistically than the 50s-90s? Maybe it's because we're not getting fed depictions of them through media yet so only real ones know and we're not all just remembering the same simulacras of those decades on TV, but I don't feel wistful for media or fashion or even really music from those decades. And yes I did read Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher.
I do think this is overall true and I really wonder why

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

i say swears online posted:

the best line in mrs doubtfire is "yeah, we're his goddamn kids too"

that is not the best line in that film.

it's when Robin Williams, dressed as a sixty year old woman, claims that a piece of thrown citrus "was a run-by fruiting".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
seems like the new True Detective is really leaning into the weird poo poo. may have to take a look.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

awkward_turtle posted:

I don't know if anyones mentioned this yet, but the threads been on a bit of a Terry Pratchett fixation recently and Humble Bundle has 38 Discworld novels for $18 right now. Worth it for me to have digital copies, especially given the state of my paperbacks.

Link

never bought books from humble are these epubs or what?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

RandolphCarter posted:

never bought books from humble are these epubs or what?

Typically you get epubs and pdfs

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Typically you get epubs and pdfs

thanks

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

seems like the new True Detective is really leaning into the weird poo poo. may have to take a look.

second season burned me too bad to consider it

was the third worth watching

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

second season burned me too bad to consider it

was the third worth watching

i dont think it was as good as season 1 but yea i think its worth watching.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
is this a safe space to express the opinion that the new season of fargo is good and that fargo is a good show

context i am a gigantic coen brothers fan. the only thing fargo has done wrong is they haven't weaved in any funny coen brothers references like big lebowski or burn after reading or barton fink

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

^general consensus is the new season is really good

also this guy just released his top films for 2023

his edits are pretty fun and i've found numerous gems through him

https://www.videocountdowns.com/

https://twitter.com/davidehrlich/status/1744366732355993603

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

skooma512 posted:

As an aside does anyone else feel like the 00s and 10s are much less distinctive stylistically than the 50s-90s? Maybe it's because we're not getting fed depictions of them through media yet so only real ones know and we're not all just remembering the same simulacras of those decades on TV, but I don't feel wistful for media or fashion or even really music from those decades. And yes I did read Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher.

It only seems indistinctive because a lot of us grew up in the middle of it. 2000's fashion was, for lack of a better work, extremely bright and trashy. Everyone was a jock or a sorority girl, even the geeks. Mid drifts on everything, weird jersey mutations, cargo shorts, jeans with dresses. And then there were the Emo Kids. and Emo music. Thanks to 9/11, Everything was also tinted in a military aesthetic. Freedom, eagles, patriotism, and love for the troops was everywhere. This decade was also a pretty good decade for stand up comedy, and comedy in general, specifically dark comedy. The darker and edgier, the better.

When I think of that decade, I think of Paris Hilton, Master Chief, and Jon Stewart. I guess what I'm saying is it was pretty distinctive to me. The 2010's were a little less distinctive, but I distinctly remember there beign a reaction to the 2000s and everything getting softer, fuzzier, and cozier.

You could easily make a nostalgia show based of the 2000s or 2010s, but unfortunately its looking like one of the defining traits of the 2020's is cultural repression, censorship, and extreme corporate control over the culture, so it's harder to make shows like that nowadays.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the milk machine posted:

is this a safe space to express the opinion that the new season of fargo is good and that fargo is a good show

context i am a gigantic coen brothers fan. the only thing fargo has done wrong is they haven't weaved in any funny coen brothers references like big lebowski or burn after reading or barton fink

there are a ton of references, maybe not a lot of funny ones. but the bit where Indira finds her husband's side chick in the closet had to be a Burn After ref.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Chandler eventually got killed by a courier in Vegas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

War and Pieces posted:

the goal was to "solve" the Fermi Parodox and the dumbass solution involves the literal death of God lol

Works for JRPGs!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
saltburn was absolutely fine, a little on the nose with the reveal but w/e

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wait I don't remember god factoring into the dark forest trilogy

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

frank oppa gangnam style

Nichael posted:

have you read 'capitalist realism' by mark fisher

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's pretty short and it leaves you depressed then at the end says don't worry we're on the verge of figuring out how to fix this

Then you find out the author killed himself instead

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

Honestly, give it time. I'm already seeing pics of frost tips, bare mid riff shirts and jncos being posted on Twitter by ppl too young to ever wear them as nostalgia.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

low-rise boot cut jeans ftw. midriffs rule, 90s jeans rule, and the high-waisted jeans of the 2010s dying is only a good thing

I feel like fitness is a bigger societal trend than fifteen years ago so maybe that's why midriffs are back

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

skooma512 posted:

But the 80s bleeding over into the 90s is the opposite of a tightening loop? Depending on what we're talking about it's arguable things like 80s fashion and entertainment kept going into the 90s, it's not like at midnight on a year ending in 9 everyone immediately starts releasing new and different poo poo.

I had a random thought tonight about Australian Winter Olympic hero Steven Bradbury, who through a completely bizarre accident not only became the first Australian gold medallist at the Winter Olympics, but the first person from the Southern Hemisphere to become a gold medallist at the Winter Olympics. When I typed his name into google I was greeted with this picture, and my immediate first internal thought was "That is an extremely 2000s looking guy."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Communist Thoughts posted:

It's pretty short and it leaves you depressed then at the end says don't worry we're on the verge of figuring out how to fix this

Then you find out the author killed himself instead

another NHS mental health success story

when i found out that the official way they deal with desperate suicidal patients is to ignore their phonecalls i realised it wasn't overwork, they actually don't care

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
That eyebrow piercing is holding on for dear life

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jimmy clausen rear end mf

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Speaking of nostalgia... We were looking for a movie last night and scrolled past the Aliens series. We had watched Alien and Aliens at Halloween so we were like "We haven't seen Alien 3 in decades. Let's watch it and see if it's REALLY as bad as its reputation!"

We ended up sleeping through most of it but, uh, it definitely wasn't good.

Dropping Ellen Ripley into a prison of horny men was certainly A Choice. Having her immediately want to gently caress them was another choice...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Humble Bundle isn't working for me -- the ebooks are from Kobo and that website appears to be bullshit. It's just giving me 500 errors over and over.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There have been some crazy rear end song choices in season 5 of Fargo. Including these two which I've enjoyed for years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBiZejL4YaM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTI8rxAhcsg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah these guys are locals

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Skill issue.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I got into Huun-Huur-Tu about 15 years ago when I had a mind numbing data entry job where I had to put all this information from forms people filled out into a website and I was in this windowless basement away from anyone else so to keep my soul from dying I blasted songs about galloping across the steppe on magic horses and eagles swooping in the sky and such and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

i say swears online posted:

hell yeah these guys are locals

They seem fun and I'm glad they get a TV show bump