Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Animals only show up in certain biomes (you wont get elephants in Tundra) but savage biomes are an additional modifier that allows for/hightens the amount of giant creatures you will find.

Giant creatures have a value modifer iirc so you could also benefit from selling the copious amounts of bone crafts you are likely to collect.

With the new agitation mechanics this can get tricky but also its incredibly easy to just have a weapon trap hall that funnels things through and just shred things.

DF is kinda incredibly easy once you get the mechanics down.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I know what it might mean when a migrant has legendary skills, especially multiple legendary skills.

What does it mean when every single migrant you get in a wave is legendary in something, even if it's furnace operating?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Telsa Cola posted:

Animals only show up in certain biomes (you wont get elephants in Tundra) but savage biomes are an additional modifier that allows for/hightens the amount of giant creatures you will find.

Giant creatures have a value modifer iirc so you could also benefit from selling the copious amounts of bone crafts you are likely to collect.

With the new agitation mechanics this can get tricky but also its incredibly easy to just have a weapon trap hall that funnels things through and just shred things.

DF is kinda incredibly easy once you get the mechanics down.

At the end of the day you can always opt to close off your fort to everything with one or more drawbridges, turn away nobility, and be as safe as you want to pretty much until the FPS death of the universe. But that route is definitely hamstringing the story generating potential of the game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Hellioning posted:

I know what it might mean when a migrant has legendary skills, especially multiple legendary skills.

What does it mean when every single migrant you get in a wave is legendary in something, even if it's furnace operating?

It means it's time to make lots of high-quality trade goods!! gently caress yeah!!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

ive managed to dig to almost the lowest elevation i can take the camera to without finding any magma beyond a 1x1x1 pool im using as a garbage disposal

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hbag posted:

by the way, im assuming caravans no longer asking me if i want anything specific next time has something to do with my monarch getting killed by cavern dwellers and hurting my reputation, or something?

If the monarch is at your fortress you are the mountain home. So a representative from the mountain home no longer visits. No more trade agreements.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

hbag posted:

ive managed to dig to almost the lowest elevation i can take the camera to without finding any magma beyond a 1x1x1 pool im using as a garbage disposal

Along a single shaft or have you explored around? Have you found semi-molten rock?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

One day I will figure out how cave ins work.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Hellioning posted:

One day I will figure out how cave ins work.

Are you trying to figure out how they happen or how their dust explosions work.

hbag posted:

Did you gently caress with the world generation settings at all? If not just expand the exploratory shaft you have going on, you should hit it.

A 1x1x1 pool is odd, is the bottom semi-molten rock?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Are you trying to figure out how they happen or how their dust explosions work.

The dust explosions, though that was really a roundabout way of me to complain about how a cave in mangled the hand of an unrelated miner that was a z-level above and a couple of squares away the collapsing block. I figured what I was doing would cause a cave in I just didn't think it would hurt people that weren't below it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hellioning posted:

How's the motherland doing?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nessus posted:

How's the motherland doing?

They were the largest dwarf civ on the map, I think. Lots of sites, lots of people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hellioning posted:

They were the largest dwarf civ on the map, I think. Lots of sites, lots of people.
Does, uh, that still hold true

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Hellioning posted:

The dust explosions, though that was really a roundabout way of me to complain about how a cave in mangled the hand of an unrelated miner that was a z-level above and a couple of squares away the collapsing block. I figured what I was doing would cause a cave in I just didn't think it would hurt people that weren't below it.
The dust goes where it goes from the collapse and is the way the air pressure and debris shock is modelled. For a dwarf it is basically being hit by a heavy high speed object the weight of which I suspect is determined by the specific collapsed material, and which part of them takes the blow seems to be random chance. Sometimes they'll be fine, other times you'll find their limbs have exploded into gore, or their head has gone spelunking in their chest.

As a general rule, avoid collapses unless you are deliberately triggering them via a pillar connected to a lever, with an airlock door between the danger zone and your drunken moron population. The pillar can be on top of the thing you are dropping, not just below. So long as it is connecting your area to drop with something stable, it's all good.

Also, if you absolutely want whatever you are collapsing on to die, drop a chunk of an entire stone layer. Both floor and wall. A floor alone will just do a dust impact which may merely wound the attacker, and worst case just make it angry. Dropping a piece of an entire Z level on it will atom smash it, only without caring for how large the creature is like a drawbridge does. This is an excellent way to dispose of forgotten beasts or titans made of materials such as Slade.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I miss playing this game but I don’t have the mental energy to actually play it and enjoy it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don’t know how to explain it other than it requires a ton of focus for me to play and then I’m like pooped lol

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

thats what i think too until i launch it just because and end up spending the entire day on it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

hbag posted:

thats what i think too until i launch it just because and end up spending the entire day on it

Yes holy poo poo exactly. It’s so easy to hyper focus on and lose all concept of time and space and then you’re like fuckin Christ why are there birds chirping I’m hosed I’m absolutely hosed

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Is this what is called self control?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What happens if you build a military unit entirely out of necromancers?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm asking because I realized one of the scrolls I bought for thirty bucks off a caravan is a necromancer scroll and I may or may not have had it sitting in my library for about five seasons now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pickled Tink posted:

The dust goes where it goes from the collapse and is the way the air pressure and debris shock is modelled. For a dwarf it is basically being hit by a heavy high speed object the weight of which I suspect is determined by the specific collapsed material, and which part of them takes the blow seems to be random chance. Sometimes they'll be fine, other times you'll find their limbs have exploded into gore, or their head has gone spelunking in their chest.

As a general rule, avoid collapses unless you are deliberately triggering them via a pillar connected to a lever, with an airlock door between the danger zone and your drunken moron population. The pillar can be on top of the thing you are dropping, not just below. So long as it is connecting your area to drop with something stable, it's all good.

Also, if you absolutely want whatever you are collapsing on to die, drop a chunk of an entire stone layer. Both floor and wall. A floor alone will just do a dust impact which may merely wound the attacker, and worst case just make it angry. Dropping a piece of an entire Z level on it will atom smash it, only without caring for how large the creature is like a drawbridge does. This is an excellent way to dispose of forgotten beasts or titans made of materials such as Slade.

Long ago I used to use wooden pillar traps based on that principle. Building destroyers could and would destroy wooden pillars, so if the only thing holding up the roof is a wooden pillar they will bring it down on themselves. The trolls that frequently accompanied goblin invasions at the time could wipe out half their own force.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nessus posted:

Fun

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Oh boy! Those goblins are in trouble!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Nessus posted:

shenanigans

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
undead are not hostile to necromancers and other undead. But they are to anything else.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
One day I want to put in the effort to make an all necro/vampire fort

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Speaking of undead in dwarf fortress, I remember someone on this forum once tell of a demon of some sort rampaging through their fort, only to be stopped when he attempted to choke out a dwarf that was secretly a vampire(?) Since the vampire did not need oxygen he didnt die. He could not get out of the chokehold however, and the demon refused to quit, so they were looked in a horrible neverending choke.

I dont remember but, i like to think the owner of the fort just quietly built some walls around the pair and the fort continued on as normal.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 13, 2024

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

hbag posted:

Absolutely this. I saw it in my Steam list this morning and was like "Oh I should play DF again" but I can't bring myself to open it. If I do though, I'm hosed, I'm gone. See you in a weeks time.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
What are the recommended embark profiles for new players these days?

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Jinnigan posted:

What are the recommended embark profiles for new players these days?

My partner likes to give the dwarves full military gear and have them make everything else from scratch while embarking on savage evil places like an absolute lunatic, I'm the opposite and would rather pack more raw materials.

You honestly have too much flexibility, even when trying to keep it simple, to have a cookie cutter solution that will fit everyone. What you're really short on early on is dwarf hours, so ration by that.

Food, drink and furniture (+trap) production, excavation and construction of rooms and workshops and acquisition of the resources needed for all of this are what will stabilise your first year.

Before the first or even second/third migrant wave, some of that will be covered by items you bring rather than dwarf labour, so you get to decide if you bring raw foodstuffs to put off farming or wood to save the trees for a few extra moons etc.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
thank u. i am going to crib off this nerd's cheatsheet https://www.reddit.com/user/happiegrub/comments/zh7zyf/df_ref_sheet_updates/

(well, this old version, which has their embark setup at the bottom: https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fx9zt960k8o4a1.png)

yes, this is an invitation for you to nitpick and provide commentary on the information presented

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're doing a 'normal' embark, then all you really need is a pick, an anvil, an axe, some food, some booze, and some seeds. Anything below that is a challenge run and anything above that is quality of life.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 19, 2024

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're doing a 'normal' embark, then all you really need is a pick, and anvil, an axe, some food, some booze, and some seeds. Anything below that is a challenge run and anything above that is quality of life.

Honestly food and seed is optional, you can basically forage all the food and seeds you need pretty easily.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
My embark loadout always has 7 dogs. 1 male 6 female, then they each get trained as war dogs and each of the first dwarves gets their own war dog. The eventual pack of puppies is housed in a cage near the entrance, linked to a lever. In an emergency the lever opens the cage and releases the hounds, causing chaos among hostile NPCs. Most effective when the cage has war animals in it, but that takes a few seasons

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Telsa Cola posted:

Honestly food and seed is optional, you can basically forage all the food and seeds you need pretty easily.

Yeah, if you're in a biome with vegetation and a safe (i.e., non-evil) surface, you can get away with almost nothing. A true no-items, no-skills embark is more tedious than difficult as long as you're in a decent biome

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, if you're in a biome with vegetation and a safe (i.e., non-evil) surface, you can get away with almost nothing. A true no-items, no-skills embark is more tedious than difficult as long as you're in a decent biome
A no-items run would be quite frustrating because you'd have to wait until Fall to trade for "an axe and a pick"

Which you probably can do by collecting plants and fish and such of course.

e: Oh man, you'd have to disassemble your wagon to build a trading post. drat.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 19, 2024

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're doing a 'normal' embark, then all you really need is a pick, an anvil, an axe, some food, some booze, and some seeds. Anything below that is a challenge run and anything above that is quality of life.

Anvil is optional, I always just buy one from the trader (or request one if it doesn't come with the first one) and it frees up a lot of points for other stuff. You're generally not going to be getting into smithing the first year.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A good thing to take on embark are Turkeys. Massively productive in terms of eggs, and can produce more leather, meat and bones than chickens or other domestic fowl. Don't even need to pasture them like larger livestock, just factory farm them in a closet with some nest boxes. If you're willing to be patient and careful, you only need one breeding pair to have a dozen adults within a year or so.

Pretty much the only animal that's more economically useful are things like alligators and cave crocodiles and stuff that produce even MORE eggs and meat and leather and such, with the added bonus of being potential war animals! But those you're gonna have to catch and domesticate yourself on-site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

A no-items run would be quite frustrating because you'd have to wait until Fall to trade for "an axe and a pick"

Which you probably can do by collecting plants and fish and such of course.

e: Oh man, you'd have to disassemble your wagon to build a trading post. drat.

yeah you have to disassemble and reassemble buildings constantly since the three logs you get from the wagon are all you have until the traders arrive. If they don't have a pick, then all you can do is beg for them and wait another year.