Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
If we keep trying hard enough we'll eventually find an inflation measure that tells us exactly what we want to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/11/business/ebay-cyberstalking-settlement/index.html

holy gently caress someone didnt give ebay an A++ would buy again rating and ebay gave them something to cry about.

A coordinated harassment campaign, complete with thinly veiled death threats, less than five years in prison.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Wow the market is already way up on this news!

lol

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

I am a power grid operator and I have a 160MW Bitcoin farm in my territory. 160MW is a very large amount of power, like a medium size power plant.

Every time it fires up it throws everything in the region out of whack as it furiously wastes power and speeds up the process of killing everything on Earth. I get additional work and stress, so the Bitcoin horror plant can proceed with its grim task. loving sucks, man.

lmao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

TeraWulf

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

Sub-Saharan nations raised $0 in bonds in 2023

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1743764379060060314

[url=https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/features/2023-09-12/africa-s-lost-decade-economic-pain-underlies-sub-saharan-coups]

:stare:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lol i missed that. drat thats pretty bad. bonds are stupid as gently caress but they're the primary vehicle for capex and major rehabs

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Schmeichy posted:

Lamb is really good...

:yeah:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Xaris posted:

lol i missed that. drat thats pretty bad. bonds are stupid as gently caress but they're the primary vehicle for capex and major rehabs

It is just very difficult for them to compete with US/European bonds are at 4-5%.

Mr Hootington posted:

Holy poo poo lmao the real bad inflation rose 4.6% last month.

It may also be a overhang from October/early November when oil prices were closer to $90 which caused a "bump" in inflation. It can take 1-2 months for higher prices to show up. I would expect January to come down and February to be up a bit or flat.

Supply line issues will probably affect Europe more than North America, but if the Europeans have to hold high rates, the US is somewhat stuck.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

FistEnergy posted:

I am a power grid operator and I have a 160MW Bitcoin farm in my territory. 160MW is a very large amount of power, like a medium size power plant.

Every time it fires up it throws everything in the region out of whack as it furiously wastes power and speeds up the process of killing everything on Earth. I get additional work and stress, so the Bitcoin horror plant can proceed with its grim task. loving sucks, man.

jesus christ

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1746139545442333013

quote:

TOKYO: Japan’s All Nippon Airways on Saturday returned a domestic flight to its departure airport after a crack was found on the cockpit window of the Boeing 737 midair, Kyodo news reported.
Flight 1182 was en route to Toyama airport but headed back to the Sapporo-New Chitose airport at around 11:20 a.m. (0220 GMT), with no injuries reported among 59 passengers and six crew, Kyodo said citing the airline.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah 120 mw is about the electricity consumption of a European town, of 70,000 people or so.

I really think the only thing keeping Boeing in the game is a fair amount of protectionism and just that there isn't a major other supplier as big as Airbus. If Cormac could fully spool up, I think Boeing could quickly start losing markets.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/axios/status/1746156965011554312?s=20

nobody wants to work donate blood anymore

quote:

U.S. faces emergency blood shortage as donor number reaches two-decade low

The American Red Cross is facing an "emergency blood shortage" as it experiences the lowest number of people giving blood in two decades.

The big picture: It's not the first time the nation's largest blood supplier has warned of a dangerously low supply, which can have devastating consequences.

State of play: The Red Cross is urging people to donate because blood and platelets are currently needed to help alleviate the shortage and ensure lifesaving medical procedures can move forward.

The Red Cross experienced a nearly 7,000-unit shortfall in blood donations between Christmas and New Year's Day alone, the nonprofit told Axios.
What they're saying: "One of the most distressing situations for a doctor is to have a hospital full of patients and an empty refrigerator without any blood products," Dr. Pampee Young, chief medical officer of the Red Cross, said in a statement.

"A person needs lifesaving blood every two seconds in our country — and its availability can be the difference between life and death, however, blood is only available thanks to the generosity of those who roll up a sleeve to donate," Young added.
Why is there a shortage?
The intensified need for donors is because the nation is facing the lowest number of people giving blood in 20 years, per the nonprofit, which means shortages are not uncommon in the U.S.

The number of people donating blood through the Red Cross has fallen by about 40% over the last two decades.
Even small disruptions to blood donations, like the one during the holiday period this year, can have an immense impact on the availability of blood products and major consequences for those in need of emergency blood transfusions.
The need for blood is constant, and because it cannot be stockpiled, factors such as fewer donations amid consistent hospital demand can have an impact on the supply, the Red Cross said.
Why aren't people donating as much anymore?
There are several factors that have contributed to the decline in donors.

One is that the way people engage in their communities has evolved over the past two decades, the nonprofit said, adding that COVID-19 accelerated those changes.
By the numbers: The number of people giving blood to the Red Cross has fallen by more than 300,000 since 2019 due to the pandemic, per the organization.

As more people began to work and conduct their lives remotely, it became more challenging to meet people where they are with convenient blood drives, the Red Cross said.
Additionally, before to the pandemic, there were changes in eligibility guidelines, like the minimum hemoglobin thresholds, which resulted in more donor deferrals, especially among those 16 to 18 years old.

Even before that, there were changes in blood transfusion protocols at hospitals that impacted the demand for blood.
Why are blood donations vital?
The blood collected by the Red Cross is used to meet the needs of accident and burn victims, heart surgery and organ transplant patients, and those receiving treatment for leukemia, cancer or sickle cell disease.

"While the Red Cross prioritizes the needs of area hospitals first, it also provides blood throughout the country, wherever there is a need," the nonprofit said.
The bottom line: If the necessary blood products aren't readily available, doctors may have to forego performing serious procedures as well as postpone elective surgeries.

"We are doing everything we can to minimize any impact of this shortage on hospital patients," the Red Cross said.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

As more people began to work and conduct their lives remotely, it became more challenging to meet people where they are with convenient blood drives, the Red Cross said

oh gently caress off

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I stopped after getting people who couldn't do a good poke twice. Gotta maybe get people who can insert needles without effecting an arm for days.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I stopped after getting people who couldn't do a good poke twice. Gotta maybe get people who can insert needles without effecting an arm for days.

i had a somewhat opposite problem, also twice: my veins are too small for the needles

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

quote:

The Red Cross experienced a nearly 7,000-unit shortfall in blood donations between Christmas and New Year's Day alone, the nonprofit told Axios.
What they're saying: "One of the most distressing situations for a doctor is to have a hospital full of patients and an empty refrigerator without any blood products," Dr. Pampee Young, chief medical officer of the Red Cross, said in a statement.

"A person needs lifesaving blood every two seconds in our country — and its availability can be the difference between life and death, however, blood is only available thanks to the generosity of those who roll up a sleeve to donate," Young added.
Why is there a shortage?
The intensified need for donors is because the nation is facing the lowest number of people giving blood in 20 years, per the nonprofit, which means shortages are not uncommon in the U.S.

it's a donation when you show up to the little truck but it's a product when it hits their shelf

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 14:44 on Jan 13, 2024

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Same, the last time I donated the person doing it stuck me in an artery and panicked. The pain was awful and that arm was messed up for a couple of weeks.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
jeff bezos should start his own amazon red cross and compensate people with amazon prime memberships/gift cards for x amount of blood.
have to donate extra for no ads on prime video.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/colorsofchloe/status/1745914071080403259?t=z8PKTTxg2p4oNxEUA9d5pw&s=19

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

I don’t really understand these layoff reaction videos in the same way I didn’t understand the Covid nurses dance routine videos

What does it mean?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

I don’t really understand these layoff reaction videos in the same way I didn’t understand the Covid nurses dance routine videos

What does it mean?

If you're about to be laid off your first thought should be "this is great content"

Can't blame 'em

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Egg Moron posted:

What does it mean?

welcome to the social

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you get lucky, you'll go viral, start a podcast, and never have to work another day in your life

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Egg Moron posted:

What does it mean?

i think it's great, raises awareness that companies will just dumpster you at a moment's notice

movies and tv shows used to show corporate greed more but uhm... hmmm... seems to have disappeared from scripts

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I’m just not cool with the red cross selling my blood

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

that poor dude is like, “….we just bought this place…”

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

it's a donation when you show up to the little truck but it's a product when it hits their shelf

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Egg Moron posted:

What does it mean?

How much of it is younger people in tech that have never seen a significant downswing? In the ZIRP era, places just zombied on, or were eventually bought out. So there were never mass layoffs, just occasional small rounds of people being let go due to mergers and acquisitions and poo poo. But a new job was always just around the corner.

The videos posted here seem to be featuring people who would have still been in high school (or younger) in the 2008 crash, so they are probably a bit unaware of what happens when the music stops and the lights come on at the end of the night.

I am almost looking forward to being in the office next week to hear how some of the younger people at the utility I work at are taking the news that the State Commerce Commission pretty sound rejected the long term rate plan. So now the company executives are in pretty much quiet panic mode.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

i am harry posted:

that poor dude is like, “….we just bought this place…”

by "bought" means "actually owning while owing nothing"

...right?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“we just got a $4500 mortgage….”

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Grapplejack posted:

This house rules, just get rid of the dumb as hell neon signs and you're good to go.

90:1 odds that's a loving airbnb

it's not a house for people to live in, it's a gimmick.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

To the tune of $100-190 a pint.

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/07/07/business/all-about-blood-banks-a-multibillion-dollar-business-in-a-nonprofit-world.html

e: holy poo poo in 1991. Wonder what it is now

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Jan 13, 2024

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what if you disrupted the blood donation market by offering some money or fanduel credits
bleedr
bloodr

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

how is discord worth any money enough to have more than 10 employees

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1746141179425542425

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol at that picture of the way milk is totally produced

Adbot