Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
edit: pocket post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

AgentHaiTo posted:

This is what I think of everytime you guys talk about this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FG9TBZhrUU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think my time with bg3 is done for a while, had a critical failure on lazel vs shadowheart with lazel getting permanently killed, on a run where she was gonna be a main party member since I ignored her last time

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm using pure classes on tactician and dragon sorc, gloomstalker hunter, light cleric and battlemaster fighter is pretty hilarious

Haven't ran into much difficulty since I can easily cc stuff and then explode the priority target

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tae posted:

I think my time with bg3 is done for a while, had a critical failure on lazel vs shadowheart with lazel getting permanently killed, on a run where she was gonna be a main party member since I ignored her last time

critical fails on skill checks is the single dumbest part of the game and it shouldn't be a thing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone figured out how the game picks the "protagonist" for certain forced events?

In out Coop campaign we constantly have an issue where we send out "face" player first, to trigger the events, because he's got the Charisma stat, but for some events the game is just dead set on using my character instead, for no good loving reason.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone figured out how the game picks the "protagonist" for certain forced events?

In out Coop campaign we constantly have an issue where we send out "face" player first, to trigger the events, because he's got the Charisma stat, but for some events the game is just dead set on using my character instead, for no good loving reason.

I think it's done of proximity, like the one who landed the killing blow on a boss

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tae posted:

If there’s a roll you absolutely don’t want to fail, you can F5 right in the middle of the conversation, roll the dice, and then immediately hit F8 if it’s a failure.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think it's done of proximity, like the one who landed the killing blow on a boss

I honestly think it's random. One of my friends was romancing the drow lady in our evil playthrough but in the cutscene where they bone down immediately after the first romance conversation it was another player's character, someone who hadn't even talked to her; which made it extremely funny. Then after we slept the game chose me to talk to her and I managed to make her hostile and killed her. :shepface:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Baldur's Gate 3 managed to win "best multiplayer" award on some award show last year, which I find extremely funny.

Don't misunderstand me, BG3 is loving amazing, but it's coop is a loving clown show and I can't imagine trying to seriously follow the plot in a coop campaign. It's a dumpster fire.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 managed to win "best multiplayer" award on some award show last year, which I find extremely funny.

Don't misunderstand me, BG3 is loving amazing, but it's coop is a loving clown show and I can't imagine trying to seriously follow the plot in a coop campaign. It's a dumpster fire.

The coop loving rules.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jack Trades posted:

?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nuebot posted:

critical fails on skill checks is the single dumbest part of the game and it shouldn't be a thing

False

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

No inspiration points lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I don't think I've gotten a single skill check critical fail during my whole run because every time it happens you can just use an Inspiration point and make it not happen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you reroll trying to convince everyone of everything I guess it can happen. Surely there's a mod to make you never fail a roll?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's especially dumb since autofail on a 1 has never been a thing in any edition. It's a boneheaded houserule lots of people use due to cargo cult behavior from whatever epic d&d memes they read on Facebook or whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just open the "load" menu and try again.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I didn’t know that was even A thing because I’ve been playing as a Halfling, aka God’s perfect idiots.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Azran posted:

It's especially dumb since autofail on a 1 has never been a thing in any edition. It's a boneheaded houserule lots of people use due to cargo cult behavior from whatever epic d&d memes they read on Facebook or whatever.

Natural 1 on an attack roll always being a miss isn’t just a house rule and it makes sense for other rolls for the same reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You can use inspiration on attack rolls in tabletop if the DM is awarding inspiration. The videogame isn't 1:1.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azran posted:

It's a houserule for skill checks but not combat rolls and it's a logical enough step to apply that rule outside of combat contexts that most people don't realize critical success/failure on skill checks is a houserule.

For the sake of people in the thread who might not be aware of this, many of the more modern ttrpg systems simply streamline the logic entirely by operating on the principle that a roll should generally only be required if there would be interesting or compelling consequences of failure. As implementing this in a crpg puts a lot more burden on the people creating the content, there are not many video games that would qualify. Many crpgs bypass rolls entirely by simply having stat checks in dialogue. But Disco Elysium both has passive checks and active rolls whose consequences are much more interesting than the typical pass-fail binary result. And in that game the majority of the most interesting, compelling, and entertaining outcomes emerge from failing skill checks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Runa posted:

Disco Elysium both has passive checks and active rolls whose consequences are much more interesting than the typical pass-fail binary result. And in that game the majority of the most interesting, compelling, and entertaining outcomes emerge from failing skill checks.

:hmmyes:

Never don't fail the karaoke check.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's true that the possibility of auto fails would be more fun in BG3 if the result of failing a skill check in BG3 wasn't almost always "you lose out on this content/dialog option". I can't think of many cases at all in this game where failing a skill check actually opens up a content path that you otherwise couldn't have seen had you succeeded.

Attack is just the default failure state of a dialog, and it isn't interesting since you always could have just bypassed the dialog and attacked if that's what you wanted to do to begin with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Not always true. Sometimes failing one line of dialogue leads to another series of skill checks that are easier to pass and/or you wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Also failing them can sometimes just be funny. If it really bothers you then just burn inspiration points, that's what they're there for.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There is a hostage situation in Act 3 where the only way to save everyone is to fail sneaking up on the hostage takers so they'll think that you're pathetic and walk off.

But generally I agree, too many skill check failures just result in just fights and nothing interesting.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I don't blame Larian for implementing it that way, especially in a game this big. Also I am aware of the 1 as a miss in combat, I meant skill rolls, my bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

So many critical failures, so many missed rolls, so many goons failing to recognize Halfling supremacy until it's too late.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

So many critical failures, so many missed rolls, so many goons failing to recognize Halfling supremacy until it's too late.

Never be a manlet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Never be a manlet.

That's some 4chan-tier cringe but I still wouldn't play one of the short races just because of the movement penalty

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Not a problem as long as you have some way to get Longstrider. Or just have Karlach throw you anywhere you need to be.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What if you're a gnome rogue with the extra bonus action so you get a free dash every turn?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They should have coded it so if you’re one of the short races you can only romance other short races and have a hidden -6 to intimidation and -4 to persuasion

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

bird with big dick posted:

They should have coded it so if you’re one of the short races you can only romance other short races and have a hidden -6 to intimidation and -4 to persuasion

I think you should have +6 to intimidation and -6 on all other forms of talking to people

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Actually it should give you a bonus to Karlach approval and new dialogue options when talking to her

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Runa posted:

It's a houserule for skill checks but not combat rolls and it's a logical enough step to apply that rule outside of combat contexts that most people don't realize critical success/failure on skill checks is a houserule.

For the sake of people in the thread who might not be aware of this, many of the more modern ttrpg systems simply streamline the logic entirely by operating on the principle that a roll should generally only be required if there would be interesting or compelling consequences of failure. As implementing this in a crpg puts a lot more burden on the people creating the content, there are not many video games that would qualify. Many crpgs bypass rolls entirely by simply having stat checks in dialogue. But Disco Elysium both has passive checks and active rolls whose consequences are much more interesting than the typical pass-fail binary result. And in that game the majority of the most interesting, compelling, and entertaining outcomes emerge from failing skill checks.

The bigger problem with skill check crit fails is that they just kind of don't make sense, and neither do critical successes for them. A skill check can be vastly more important than a single attack roll. Missing one attack roll will very rarely cause issues for an encounter or the party at large, but just flat out failing a skill check even if your modifiers were good enough to get it above the DC otherwise can cause all sorts of bullshit; in BG3 alone a nat 1 can easily cost you entire characters.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

IIRC the developers in old Bioware unironically thought this, and if you played a gnome, dwarf or halfling PC in the original Baldurs Gate 2, all 3 female companions that you could normally romance as a human or elf were suddenly not interested in you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If Halflings are supposed to be ugly then tell me why Roah Moonglow is the biggest baddie this side of the Chionthar.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

IIRC the developers in old Bioware unironically thought this, and if you played a gnome, dwarf or halfling PC in the original Baldurs Gate 2, all 3 female companions that you could normally romance as a human or elf were suddenly not interested in you.

That's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lol

Larian got some flak for making every single romanceable companion playersexual, but I think it was the right call