Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Easily my biggest Hipster Gamer year - 4 of my games not even in the top 60. Only one of those I find a bit surprising though is Darkest Dungeon 2. Tyrion Cuthbert, Roottrees, and Exocolonist are all pretty much expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I'm in the middle of an insane attempt to get caught up before Infinite Wealth - beat Yakuza 5 and 6 in 2024 already, trying to beat a LAD replay this long weekend, and then will try to beat The Man Who Erased His Name before it comes out - but I'm looking forward to playing Lost Judgment a bit later this year. After a break.

Finally played Judgment last year and it's my second favorite in the interconnected series after LAD.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

I love speedrunning so much. I love bite-sized, accessible speedrunning even more. I got gold medals on every stage. Then I found out there were red medals and I got all those, too. I completed White's Hell Rush and I have not been able to stop thinking about doing it again for no reason. I just learned there's a community mod for even harder medals, so maybe I'll go for those!

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Going through this game is an incredible experience that pulled in even someone as uncompetitive and speed averse as me.

ShoogaSlim posted:

but i still hold my own and it feels amazing when you're in a flow state of knowing you're going to break your previous record because you have the mechanics and level layout down in your head.

59. Neon White (Angel Matrix) (2022)
39 points. Voted for 5 times. Appeared at #1 once. Average of 7.8
Down by 41 places.

Definitely on my 'to play' list (along with nine thousands of other games, sure ok) but if there is one thing I struggle at more than depth perception, it is FPS platforming.
Sounds like this could help boost the skill issue...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
(Also while I am doing this and posting, I am listening to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoS4GDvNA6w it is REALLY good)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neon white is also on my backlog! Maybe I'll finally get to it in 2024.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nail Rat posted:

I'm in the middle of an insane attempt to get caught up before Infinite Wealth - beat Yakuza 5 and 6 in 2024 already, trying to beat a LAD replay this long weekend, and then will try to beat The Man Who Erased His Name before it comes out - but I'm looking forward to playing Lost Judgment a bit later this year. After a break.

Finally played Judgment last year and it's my second favorite in the interconnected series after LAD.

I'm trying to finish up Like a Dragon 7 this weekend too, absolutely love the game but even then I have The Man Who Erased His Name and both Judgment games to catch up on before Infinite Wealth... the samurai one too! So many games! All so good!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

no ring

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Alas, for this level, Neon White will have to settle for a bronze medal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holocure, so nice it appeared in the runner up tallies twice(5 and 8 points)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The post with the most

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't know that I could say any words about this game that have not already been said a million times over and are no less true. I will just say this game is, has always been, and will always be A MASTERPIECE.

Phantasium posted:

It’s great, it looks wonderful, I bought it instantly and played through the second it was announced. Hell yeah I’ll do a new playthrough of Metroid Prime Nintendo. Let me know when I’m doing new playthroughs of 2 and 3 as well, let’s loving go.

Wuggles posted:

But the Metroid Prime Remastered game for the Nintendo Switch looks and feels like you remember the Metroid Prime game for the Nintendo Gamecube looking and feeling. And this time, I am a big adult man, so I actually finished it.

58. Metroid Prime Remastered (Retro Studios) (2023)
41 points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.1

I personally finished this on december the 31st so it missed being on my list, but you better believe those goons above are telling the truth!!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm trying to finish up Like a Dragon 7 this weekend too, absolutely love the game but even then I have The Man Who Erased His Name and both Judgment games to catch up on before Infinite Wealth... the samurai one too! So many games! All so good!

If you have a PS3 laying around, I (and maybe I alone) suggest adding Dead Souls to the pile. I'm the lone weirdo who included it this year - the shooting is awful but the story is Yakuza ridiculousness turned up to 12 and it's pretty easy.

Also I maintain it's canon and people just don't talk about the events

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Holocure, so nice it appeared in the runner up tallies twice(5 and 8 points)

Ah right, that was because I got to your change post much later after I had done the main part and added the numbers on manually. I will alter it now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'm gonna get around to finishing metroid prime remastered one day. I'm just stuck at that long phazon mines section.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Played my first Zeldas in 2023, maybe I should do the same with Samus in 2024!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Ah right, that was because I got to your change post much later after I had done the main part and added the numbers on manually. I will alter it now.

Due to this error I'm afraid a recount has been triggered. Please start the process over thank you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

I'm gonna get around to finishing metroid prime remastered one day. I'm just stuck at that long phazon mines section.

I did it a few weeks ago :D I really enjoyed the whole game. Phazon was a bit cheeky, but the purpblaster is pretty sweet against a lot of the tough dudes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VideoGames posted:

lol sorry, I had only just played it right before the end of the year after I made my list, so it kind of shunted its way into the middle of things out of nowhere. Just ribbin' ya

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh hey cool I made it as the list is starting to come in. Too bad I'll probably be asleep for the top 20 or so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

Also I maintain it's canon and people just don't talk about the events

I haven't played it but have always assumed the entire events of the game are Kiryu not realizing that Majima is making a movie that he is the unknowing star of. Again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh hey cool I made it as the list is starting to come in. Too bad I'll probably be asleep for the top 20 or so.
yeah I'm going to bed shortly so while I won't get to watch as it ticks down ill get to enjoy binging it after the fact instead. Excited! Good on ya shouldering the burden, veeg

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hell yeah.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge posted:

The scars I bear from years of defending Star Ocean 2 are innumerable. I took up the banner on MSN Messenger, on AIM, on forums, and on Discord. And now I’ve been rewarded. R is, save for perhaps what is going on with FFVII, is the new high bar for updating games.

Ms Adequate posted:

I played through it twice and got every achievement and just about the only thing I can say that's a negative is that I don't think they're empowered to, or interested in, make any expansions or DLCs because I would gobble that poo poo up like Ms Pac-Man gobbles dots.

BabyRyoga posted:

probably the only jRPG where i've started a 2nd play through immediately after finishing the first, and I felt inclined to do the same a 2nd time with this remaster.

57. Star Ocean The Second Story R (SquareEnix and Gemdrop Studios) (2023)
41 points. Voted for 6 times. Average of 6.8

Another huge win for fans of the RPG from Japan!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I heard so much about star ocean 2 r, definitely waiting for a good sale on it!

Lisztless
Jun 25, 2005

E-flat affect

Star Ocean 2 is a huge blank spot in my tri-ace knowledge and I need to get through it this year.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Beautiful "little prince" universe with a touching story and great mysteries to uncover.

Nail Rat posted:

The sense of wonder and accomplishment here are addicting. Wondering if I can land on that comet, and then doing it...even if one of my first attempts ended with mw barely alive among the wreckage of my ship. My friend was watching me play and I said "uh, I don't think this is fixable!"

Trinexx posted:

Went into this completely blind (as one should) and the self-directed gameplay just hit the spot for me in a way I did not anticipate.

Aipsh posted:

Good god. One of the most intimate and painful narrative experiences I’ve encountered. It’s skewering at times. It is famous for making people cry. That’s well earned. I want to say nothing about this game because as has been writ over and over again, you should play it completely blind.

56. Outer Wilds (Mobius Digital) (2019)
41 points. Voted for 5 times. Average of 8.2
Down by 13 places.

I see so many posters say this is a game they wish they could erase from their memory and play again from scratch.
I get it. So does everygoon above. A masterpiece.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Hey this was in my top ten last year, love that people are still discovering it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I picked that up at one point and still haven't played it, I need to get around to it (and so many others!)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Outer Wilds is top three of all time ever for me. I think it is properly majestic and one of those experiences that will forever last in my mind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Man I picked that up at one point and still haven't played it, I need to get around to it (and so many others!)

Top of the list Jerusalem come on

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

It's a strange blend of genres that doesn't quite feel like anything else, it uses randomization in an unusual way that means there's no predefined easy path to take your character through, it's unafraid of being demanding and rude to you, and I love it for all of these things.

Lord Packinham posted:

a great co-op shooter/souls game

Atoramos posted:

I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone, but I found it great.

55.Remnant 2 (Gunfire Games) (2023)
43 Points. Voted for 10 times. Average of 4.3

Souls with shooting? Sounds like yet another addition to my 'list of games with so many entries I will be arthitic before I finish the midway point' list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Top of the list Jerusalem come on

I have so many that I keep thinking,"Man I GOTTA play that one next!" they all look so good!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Outer Wilds absolutely a goat contender

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I am so ready to play remnant 2 this year. Just waiting for all dlc to come out.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I have so many that I keep thinking,"Man I GOTTA play that one next!" they all look so good!

Well I am telling you that Outer Wilds is unquestionably actually the one you gotta play next

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I am telling you that Outer Wilds is unquestionably actually the one you gotta play next

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Well I can't fault the logic!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Issaries posted:

All the Mercs in the game are unique and have fun personalities and their own likes and dislikes. M.D was my early medic, because I liked him, not because he was a good merc. He couldn’t hit barn from medium distance with his pistol!

Grand Fromage posted:

XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen is one of the best games ever made. It's so good that everyone's copied it though, and I'm glad to play one that isn't.

Extortionist posted:

They somehow made a real sequel to Jagged Alliance 2 after all these years

54. Jagged Alliance 3 (Haemimnont Games) (2023)
43 points. Voted for 8 times. Average of 5.3

Probably not a surprise to anyone aware of my gaming history, but I have never even heard of jagged alliance 1.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fez_machine posted:

I ground so much in this weird horny bricolage game

Runa posted:

This was the game this year that made me laugh, cry, and hoot and holler in excitement. Sometimes all at once.

teo4512 posted:

The result is a sidescrolling action RPG that has an incredibly mismatched artstyle that I personally find charming in many ways and while the soundtrack cannot really be labeled "original" to say the least, the music selection on display is shock full of bangers and almost always fits with whatever is going on on the screen.

53. Astlibra Revision (KEIZO) (2023)
43 points. Voted for 5 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 8.6

I had to self spell check so much when writing the title to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Never even heard of this rpg. That's why I follow threads like these, I discover so many games.