Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol she's my MP.

Already complained to her about the genocide but no way it even reached her.

She probably just forwarded it to CSIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i hate this stupid country

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
"u tryin to kill urself motherfucker????? ill fuckin kill u for that!!" - all cops, chanted in unison at training session

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
seriously though. the only time to call the cops is when you need someone dead. that’s all they know how to do.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that the homeless in Alberta can find somewhere warm this weekend. Those temperature reports I'm reading are bleak.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My heart breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCByljAtro0

e: If only there was something that could solve both the "excess" short term rentals, and the people who need homes...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
gently caress 'em.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Frosted Flake posted:

My heart breaks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCByljAtro0

e: If only there was something that could solve both the "excess" short term rentals, and the people who need homes...

drat that sucks i guess, they should pay me thousands of dollars for my consulting company to tell them to lower the price

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

In Edmonton, it's -42 at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. Luckily, our brave boys in blue took down the homeless encampments so that they didn't accidentally set themselves on fire or use their katanas and bat'leths on innocent citizens to steal their warmth.

Edit: Tristin Hopper is a loving moron

Ansar Santa has issued a correction as of 05:02 on Jan 13, 2024

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Ansar Santa posted:

In Edmonton, it's -42 at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. Luckily, our brave boys in blue took down the homeless encampments so that they didn't accidentally set themselves on fire or use their katanas and bat'leths on innocent citizens to steal their warmth.

Jesus loving christ

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

I love countries lining up to offer support for one side or another in a court case. Imagine if coverage of other trials centred around whether a random third party really wanted to see the defendant walk instead of the evidence and arguments.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

yippee cahier posted:

I love countries lining up to offer support for one side or another in a court case. Imagine if coverage of other trials centred around whether a random third party really wanted to see the defendant walk instead of the evidence and arguments.

they can apparently also pontificate to the court as a party nominally bound by the same law. "your honour, I insist you free this defendant lest I wish to commit the same crime in the future and have precedent on my side"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Housing is so complicated!! So let's talk about the vibes around housing instead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/housing-immigration-trudeau-poilievre-1.7082624

quote:

There are no simple answers to the immigration and housing question

On Thursday, Chrystia Freeland was asked whether Canada has an immigration problem. In her response, she suggested Canada has a housing problem.

Canada, she argued, is the most welcoming country in the world for newcomers and enjoys an economic and competitive advantage as a result. But "if we want to be a country that welcomes new Canadians — and I strongly believe that's the right thing for all of us," she said, "we have to build more homes faster."

The question for the finance minister was prompted by reporting by the Canadian Press that found senior public servants at Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada were briefed in 2022 about a "misalignment between population growth and housing supply." Such a divergence between demand and supply tends to drive up prices for housing.
A woman in a red dress gestures as she speaks with reporters (not seen). Canadians flags are hung in the background.

Cool, so if that's true, we should look into the housing supply, right? Check whether what Freeland is asserting is true or not? :freeland:

quote:

But how the problem is framed — as a matter of too much immigration or too little housing, or some combination of the two — matters a lot. While it might seem like a straightforward issue of supply and demand, the question of immigration and housing defies the desire for simple answers.

As much as population growth is a factor in the cost of housing in Canada, it may be oversimplifying matters to consider it a problem of "immigration" writ large, rather than a problem with specific elements of the immigration system. It's possible, for instance, that the federal government needs to review the exponential growth in the arrival of non-permanent residents — specifically international students and temporary foreign workers.

"When we look at the past 30 years, we can see that the inflow of new [permanent residents] has long been a significant driver of population growth. In the last year or so, inflows of [non-permanent residents] have become more pronounced and now account for a larger share of population growth," Toni Gravelle, deputy governor of the Bank of Canada, noted in a speech last month.

Oh I see, the problem of people having nowhere to live is fundamentally a problem of framing. Population has gone up! Are there enough houses to house all these people? Alas, framing. There's simply no way to know.

Now we're getting to the heart of it: the real problem is what all of this means for public sentiment. People might start getting funny questions about the social order.

quote:

When Environics asked in 2022, 69 per cent of respondents disagreed with the idea that there was too much immigration to Canada, while 27 per cent agreed. By last September, disagreement was down to 51 per cent and agreement was up to 44 per cent.

quote:

Solving the housing problem is therefore doubly important. Canadians need to be able to live comfortably — and social cohesion could be threatened if they can't.

In conclusion:

quote:

In an ideal scenario, Canada would have both markedly higher immigration and more plentiful housing. And it would be a mistake to assume the current problem can simply be blamed on one or the other.

So... does Canada have plentiful housing or not? Do material conditions matter even slightly when considering what the "acceptable" level of immigration is? Who can say, I guess?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
At a housing announcement in Hamilton on Monday, Trudeau said the issue is mostly provincial jurisdiction.

"I'll be blunt as well — housing isn't a primary federal responsibility. It's not something that we have direct carriage of," he said.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Let them live in their direct carriages, parked outside a wal-mart

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

At a housing announcement in Hamilton on Monday, Trudeau said the issue is mostly provincial jurisdiction.

"I'll be blunt as well — housing isn't a primary federal responsibility. It's not something that we have direct carriage of," he said.

it's like he wants to lose the next election or something

Karach posted:

Housing is so complicated!! So let's talk about the vibes around housing instead.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/housing-immigration-trudeau-poilievre-1.7082624

Cool, so if that's true, we should look into the housing supply, right? Check whether what Freeland is asserting is true or not? :freeland:

Oh I see, the problem of people having nowhere to live is fundamentally a problem of framing. Population has gone up! Are there enough houses to house all these people? Alas, framing. There's simply no way to know.

Now we're getting to the heart of it: the real problem is what all of this means for public sentiment. People might start getting funny questions about the social order.

In conclusion:

So... does Canada have plentiful housing or not? Do material conditions matter even slightly when considering what the "acceptable" level of immigration is? Who can say, I guess?

I mean the thing is, it isn't immigration's fault that housing is so expensive, and we probably could house everyone in the country and more if we treated housing like a human right instead of an investment commodity, but that might harm property values and decrease the value of the HELOCs we use to buy our next SUV before we've even paid off the previous SUV, so it's important not to mention it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
we need China to invade something so landlords get scared of communists again and the government funds literally anything

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sure, we're in charge of governing the country but we can just let certain parts of society completely collapse and it's not our fault. Jurisdiction you know.

This mother fucker is trying to lose the election.

The federal government has so many levers to pressure provinces to do what they want. Mostly big piles of money. You don't let a national crisis proceed because of administrative details.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Healthcare is also an area of primary provincial responsibility, and yet somehow previous federal governments figured out one weird trick to force provinces to give people healthcare (premiers hate him!)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

vyelkin posted:

I mean the thing is, it isn't immigration's fault that housing is so expensive, and we probably could house everyone in the country and more if we treated housing like a human right instead of an investment commodity, but that might harm property values and decrease the value of the HELOCs we use to buy our next SUV before we've even paid off the previous SUV, so it's important not to mention it

Is there something actually preventing Aaron Wherry from analyzing things in these terms? Like is the big bad CBC editor going to shake his head and send the draft back to him with a note that says "sure, maybe, but what does it all mean for Our Democracy?"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Karach posted:

Is there something actually preventing Aaron Wherry from analyzing things in these terms? Like is the big bad CBC editor going to shake his head and send the draft back to him with a note that says "sure, maybe, but what does it all mean for Our Democracy?"

he is eating trash from the dumpster of ideology

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
less facetiously, his tiny baby thoughts pointing vaguely towards that direction come right at the end of the article, after 90% of people have stopped reading:

quote:

But there also remains the risk that immigration will be unfairly scapegoated for a problem that would be better pinned on federal, provincial and municipal governments that have failed to ensure enough houses get built in Canada.

As unfortunate as it might be that housing concerns are creating doubts about immigration, it would be worse still if blaming immigration became a handy excuse for governments to avoid necessary investments in social housing or changes to local zoning. There would still be a case for taking such action even if this country suddenly reduced immigration to zero.

In an ideal scenario, Canada would have both markedly higher immigration and more plentiful housing. And it would be a mistake to assume the current problem can simply be blamed on one or the other.

and the solutions he comes up with are "invest in social housing" and "change local zoning" which are pretty far from the decommodification of housing. It's the exact kind of thing you come up with when your understanding of the economy begins and ends with an Econ 101 supply/demand graph

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pretty sure Trudeau does want to lose the election so that when everything goes to poo poo under Skippy because he thinks he can use the tried and tested "miss us?" routine on voters and then we do the same goddamn cycle again.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

vyelkin posted:

he is eating trash from the dumpster of ideology

Is ideological indoctrination part of going to J school? Or do they get it in the workplace? Is it imposed from above?

Listening to Canadaland's poo poo about how reporting on Palestine forced Canadian journalists to confront Ethical Dilemmas and Make Tough Calls, you can't help but walk away with the sense that journalists think of themselves as the unsung heroes of civilization, irl Harpers working thanklessly to preserve Order in the face of Chaotic Evil Populism. All of this is happening as newspapers are closing and journalists being fired everywhere, which I suspect contributes to their sense of being embattled guardians of the good.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I'm sure this carefully worded statement will please both sides

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

pokeyman posted:

they can apparently also pontificate to the court as a party nominally bound by the same law. "your honour, I insist you free this defendant lest I wish to commit the same crime in the future and have precedent on my side"

🇩🇪: As the nation that perpetrated the Holocaust, we Germans have a unique perspective we would like to share with the court.

🇨🇦: Hey, that's pretty good. We would also like to add our unique experience as a genocide nation to the conversation.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Neither is healthcare and yet...

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

vyelkin posted:

HELOCs we use to buy our next SUV

When I discovered my mortgage had a HELOC clause (mandatory btw) I was so pissed. Here's a free sword of damocles with a bag of money attached to it. Enjoy!

It is perfidious but, I'm sure, a fantastic way to keep the economy throbbing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I'm sorry it had a what now?

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

flakeloaf posted:

I'm sorry it had a what now?

I wasn't told by the agent that sold me on the mortgage but effectively the mortgage loan came with a ready line of credit to the tune of like 40k or something (i have 900 dollars of credit card max credit btw, because i dont want or need more).

It adds to the mortgage loan amount, I believe? Perfect for entrapping people into forever debt.

When I called them back they said it was perfect for remodeling the kitchen.

Edit: All mortgages from this cooperative have this clause lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
"here is some free* money. you can use it to buy things. you like things, don't you?"

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Money isn't real, only labour.

And your labour is being loaned back to you at 5.69%

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

I wasn't told by the agent that sold me on the mortgage but effectively the mortgage loan came with a ready line of credit to the tune of like 40k or something (i have 900 dollars of credit card max credit btw, because i dont want or need more).

It adds to the mortgage loan amount, I believe? Perfect for entrapping people into forever debt.

When I called them back they said it was perfect for remodeling the kitchen.

Edit: All mortgages from this cooperative have this clause lol

Oh yeah my first mortgage had one of those too, I mentioned it in passing at the realtor and she lost her complete poo poo on me and my financial illiteracy

One of the good ones :3:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Virtual Russian posted:

I will maintain that Soylent Green was by far the most realistic of all the depressing 70's dystopia movies. If you're only familiar with the twist, and haven't actually watched it I'd recommend it. All about what climate change and lack of housing will do to our society. Obviously it is a B movie, but a well made one.

I really want to rewatch this one. I watched it so long ago in the 1990s when it was probably just something they had on loop on cable.

I suppose it's a zeitgeist film that stems somewhat from The Population Bomb book that was enormously influential around this time.

Unfortunately I think people missed the environmental message of the film and focused on the wrong part, the over population part. Overpopulation fears, more driven by the Population Bomb probably and less this B movie, took over boomer thinking and had had disastrous outcomes on the direction of our policy for the last 50 years.

Instead of thinking about how to directly preserve environment and animal habitat and lower CO2 emissions, the only problem people focused on was Too Many People and so they directly tried to engineer less people around them, resulting in direct bans on apartments as a way to restrict population growth, which only lead to people moving elsewhere, leading to more suburban sprawl which meant more CO2 emissions and more habitat loss.

Useless feel good endeavours like the Back To The Land movement resulted in even further limits on where people could live.

All of this leads to the present day of Boomers with their "we're full go somewhere else" mindset and Millennials and Zoomers having nothing.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Ansar Santa posted:

Tonight it's going down to -50, -60 with the windchill (at least at the airport, it's probably a few degrees warmer in the city).

There's gonna be so many frostbite-related amputations in the next few weeks :(

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my car will never start again, its so cold the block heater said gently caress it and bought a one way ticket to florida

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
healthy young car goes to Edmonton, spends evening outside, gets cranked, won't turn over - BURST BATTERY. many such cases

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

At -50 I'd be worried about washer fluid and coolant freezing solid. Most washer fluids aren't designed to handle these temps because it starts needing consistency like syrup to avoid crystallization that low. Same with coolant, the standard stuff the majority of cars use will start to underperform a lot.

Sucks about the block heater, though. I'd check the contacts if it's a corrosion issue and try to get it working again. I know in the territories at these temps you keep the engine going whilst shopping and leave the block heater running nonstop whilst parked at home.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Karach posted:

Is ideological indoctrination part of going to J school? Or do they get it in the workplace? Is it imposed from above?

Yes to all. When I went to uni for journalism, we were taught that we had to be objective, not subjective, which meant we could not come to any conclusion of any kind OURSELVES, we could only report what others said. If no government agency is framing it that way, then you'd be reporting your opinion instead of objective fact. Ostensibly the idea is that it's factual to say that Person Said Thing, but that very easily and rapidly becomes "government institutions are infallible."

See also: black people not being allowed to report on BLM because their lived experience would "interfere with objectivity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Songstress28/status/1746258527163920766?t=2uE7INozQB-dWK3QRicbDQ&s=19

Cool Freezing and Normal Country.