Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There’s absolutely zero reason your skill modifiers shouldn’t apply to a 1 on a skill check and it’s a huge nerf for no reason to more skill oriented classes like bards and rogues just like using crit fail tables nerfs the gently caress out of martials. It’s awful.

It legitimately sucks that if you’re a rogue who has for example, built up sleight of hand via proficiency AND expertise, plus your dexterity, that you shouldn’t shred a dc10 lock every single time like you’re the lock picking lawyer. You’re an expert. You don’t just randomly fail some rote thing you’re an expert at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-games/10-dusty-rear end-crpgs-youll-play-for-an-hour-or-two-after-you-beat-baldurs-gate-3/

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Already played every last one of the joke article's suggestions, except for Wasteland 3 and Mass Effect 3, and I'll be playing those later this year. That's right, I'm a true :pcgaming: gamer

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Phlegmish posted:

Actually it should give you a bonus to Karlach approval and new dialogue options when talking to her

Halfling Karlach romance is worth it just for the scenes of her kneeling down to smooch you.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wish I could play something other than a dragonborn. Being a dragon person is too cool to pass up, sorry!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Azran posted:

I wish I could play something other than a dragonborn. Being a dragon person is too cool to pass up, sorry!

They should have let you play as a kobold so you could play as the little dragon people too.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
They had to make the dragonborn racial bonuses awful because otherwise how could you ever justify playing something else?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Snake Maze posted:

They had to make the dragonborn racial bonuses awful because otherwise how could you ever justify playing something else?

Next game better be Dragonborn heavy, Kobolds too that little dude in the top hat at the circus, I'd play an entire game just being him.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Nuebot posted:

The bigger problem with skill check crit fails is that they just kind of don't make sense, and neither do critical successes for them. A skill check can be vastly more important than a single attack roll. Missing one attack roll will very rarely cause issues for an encounter or the party at large, but just flat out failing a skill check even if your modifiers were good enough to get it above the DC otherwise can cause all sorts of bullshit; in BG3 alone a nat 1 can easily cost you entire characters.

I can buy the argument that critical failures are odd but critical successes? You lost me.

In general, I’m agnostic on it because I have hosed up things I’m very good at plenty of times in life. poo poo, just being an artist makes me see where it makes sense because I have definitely, after decades of work and practice, rolled a 1 on drawing a straight line.

And it’s not bullshit that content is locked behind successful or failed rolls. It’s intentional design that is what many, many, many people enjoy about the game.

F5 and F8 are right there. Use them if the thought of missing content due to a failure bugs you. I run a mod that removes the cap on inspiration, which feels like it’s only a half cheat since I still have to earn them and can still run out.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

That sounds like a really fun mod, maybe slightly overpowered. Earning inspirations in this game feels great every time though, they really did a great job with such a simple thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Geekboy posted:

I can buy the argument that critical failures are odd but critical successes? You lost me.

In general, I’m agnostic on it because I have hosed up things I’m very good at plenty of times in life. poo poo, just being an artist makes me see where it makes sense because I have definitely, after decades of work and practice, rolled a 1 on drawing a straight line.

And it’s not bullshit that content is locked behind successful or failed rolls. It’s intentional design that is what many, many, many people enjoy about the game.

F5 and F8 are right there. Use them if the thought of missing content due to a failure bugs you. I run a mod that removes the cap on inspiration, which feels like it’s only a half cheat since I still have to earn them and can still run out.

It's not about missing content because of a failure; it's that the failure shouldn't happen in the first place because rolling a 1 disregards your skill bonuses and continually reframing it like people are just mad they're losing is really stupid.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Per the rules of 5e this is because the straight line DC was 10 (regular challenge) and you had 8 skill points that equaled to a roll of 9 when you rolled 1, not solely because you rolled a 1, which is the point. If you had magic gloves of line drawing that gave you +2 you’d literally never fail, which is the point here.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I know. I’m saying that the house rule makes sense to me. I’m not passionate either way, though.

space uncle posted:

That sounds like a really fun mod, maybe slightly overpowered. Earning inspirations in this game feels great every time though, they really did a great job with such a simple thing.

I mean, I still just end up hoarding them because my brain is bad. Last game when I got to that goofy “you must roll a Nat 20” at the end, I had something like 45 chances to get it right. No reason not to burn them all there and I got it in I think 2 rolls.

Geekboy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 13, 2024

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It legitimately sucks that if you’re a rogue who has for example, built up sleight of hand via proficiency AND expertise, plus your dexterity, that you shouldn’t shred a dc10 lock every single time like you’re the lock picking lawyer. You’re an expert. You don’t just randomly fail some rote thing you’re an expert at.

Can't disagree with the sentiment, but you might want to pick a better example, since my Astarion (as a straight up rogue, no multiclassing) at some point got this thing called Reliable Talent, which is a passive that ensures he cannot roll less than 10 on any lockpick or trap disarm task :v:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Dialogue in Co-op is a real pain, I have a lot of thoughts on how multiplayer works especially in a world with guides and the dm can't change the module so the dude that plays ahead doesn't just go "The god sword is behind this painting". Admittedly in this game everything is hidden behind a goddam painting so they are leaning into the trope.
What we've noticed is there are some characters that get priority, sometimes the game thinks you are the other character and if you have a Durge in your party they get dialogue priority unless they are far away from the conversation.

Act 3 Cazador and Honour Mode questions.

One of these says release me, do they do anything if I smash all of them or is this one of the half finished puzzles?

Are you able to see this when you examine him? I'm using the Honour Mode mod and using a diff checker I can see that they made the Legendary Actions a hidden status but they have an icon which makes me think you should be able to see it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

jaete posted:

Can't disagree with the sentiment, but you might want to pick a better example, since my Astarion (as a straight up rogue, no multiclassing) at some point got this thing called Reliable Talent, which is a passive that ensures he cannot roll less than 10 on any lockpick or trap disarm task :v:

Maybe but who’s taking a rogue to 11 in bg3 lol

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Maybe but who’s taking a rogue to 11 in bg3 lol

Me. Decided not to multi class in a game this easy the first time through it. No need. That's for later runs.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Fair enough, but I think it’s a good example still. At level 1 for a rogue with 17 dex it should be nearly impossible to fail a dc10 sleight of hand check and after you’ve gotten the +2 sleight of hand ring from the risen road it should be completely impossible

Maybe speaks to how lame tier 3 rogue abilities are

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 13, 2024

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Black Noise posted:

Dialogue in Co-op is a real pain, I have a lot of thoughts on how multiplayer works especially in a world with guides and the dm can't change the module so the dude that plays ahead doesn't just go "The god sword is behind this painting". Admittedly in this game everything is hidden behind a goddam painting so they are leaning into the trope.
What we've noticed is there are some characters that get priority, sometimes the game thinks you are the other character and if you have a Durge in your party they get dialogue priority unless they are far away from the conversation.

Act 3 Cazador and Honour Mode questions.

One of these says release me, do they do anything if I smash all of them or is this one of the half finished puzzles?

Are you able to see this when you examine him? I'm using the Honour Mode mod and using a diff checker I can see that they made the Legendary Actions a hidden status but they have an icon which makes me think you should be able to see it.

Yeah the way conversations, party member assignment, and npc interaction in multiplayer works is pretty much garbage. We have missed a few pretty big things because of it. We decided to be responsible for half the companions a piece and we don't switch duties because we are being cautious about possibly breaking scripting. Best to be consistent about which pc each party member talks to. And that's not accounting for how only the linked party member is the only one who'll chime in when you talk to an npc. And as mentioned, the skill check stuff going to lead character isn't good either. Granted I'll say that's a arguably okay, because it protects hypothetical optimal player from themselves. But if they're gonna scum for perfect rolls, does it really?

I think this is a systemic problem with how the game considers what a party is, and how it handles cutscenes in conversations. In short far too structural for us to expect a change. Divinity worked much the same way and didn't even have cutscenes like this.

I feel like the coop overall is incredible and works extremely well but man everything about flagging players and skill checks and romance and all that really needed some extra consideration it didn't get for multi.

Though I will say if you have a good coop buddy or buddies, you can avoid the worst of it by being considerate of your friends, communicating regularly, assigning duties so people don't step on one another's toes, all that. In short stuff that is also advisable for tabletop too.

I gotta ask though, anyone play this with a full group of four? I feel like that would be fun but utterly incoherent haha.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

unattended spaghetti posted:

I gotta ask though, anyone play this with a full group of four? I feel like that would be fun but utterly incoherent haha.

I’m doing a 4 man run. I’m going to save my wall of text until I can get through this. But one big oversight is if you get caught in some plot dialogue and the other player that can’t sit still just opens the huge boss door and messes up the scene. This happened a lot in Divinity as well. It was actually a negative to open the door first because whoever got stuck in the convo often lost out on the loot in the room.

It’s probably more fun if you do a meme run but fighting the schedule monster once is hard enough.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm playing Karlach origins this run and I actually got surprised when Gortash betrays you. I was going to betray him and then blow him up!

I guess it's the difference between playing the Durge who he respects and Karlach who he sees as a gullible loser.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thundercracker posted:

I'm playing Karlach origins this run and I actually got surprised when Gortash betrays you. I was going to betray him and then blow him up!

I guess it's the difference between playing the Durge who he respects and Karlach who he sees as a gullible loser.

When does this happen? I fought Gortash right away at his coronation as Karlach origin and never got to see this. Is it after he offers you the alliance but before you go to the Morphic Pools?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I got to the creche without any money. Does anyone know if the quartermaster drops the dex gloves on death? I know she drops the Knife of the 19-Roll-Crits from an earlier run but I want those gloves.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

OzFactor posted:

I got to the creche without any money. Does anyone know if the quartermaster drops the dex gloves on death? I know she drops the Knife of the 19-Roll-Crits from an earlier run but I want those gloves.

Sell her a backpack, then in the trade dialog drag everything into it. She'll drop the backpack on death and you'll get everything.

But also to answer your question directly, not for me but it seems to be inconsistent because I've seen reports of her dropping them.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Sell her a backpack, then in the trade dialog drag everything into it. She'll drop the backpack on death and you'll get everything.

Does this seriously work lmao

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

BurritoJustice posted:

But also to answer your question directly, not for me but it seems to be inconsistent because I've seen reports of her dropping them.

That is pretty funny. Walking into a store and just putting a bunch of stuff in a bag, then handing it to the cashier. "Can you hold this for me? Just for, like, a minute. I'll be right back, I'm going to go become a heretic and kill your bosses."

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

There’s absolutely zero reason your skill modifiers shouldn’t apply to a 1 on a skill check and it’s a huge nerf for no reason to more skill oriented classes like bards and rogues just like using crit fail tables nerfs the gently caress out of martials. It’s awful.

they should just stop loving making you roll on every 10 DC trap and chest because good loving god is that an annoying waste of time

WHY are you placing 10 DC locks and traps in act 3!?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
There is already a infallible lockpick in act 3, it's called 'a sword'

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Verviticus posted:

they should just stop loving making you roll on every 10 DC trap and chest because good loving god is that an annoying waste of time

WHY are you placing 10 DC locks and traps in act 3!?

Probably so gimmick parties aren't penalised for being gimmick parties. Four barbarians failing to disarm but taking chip damage from every trap sounds kinda hilarious.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
One of the best things about making MC a dex monk with rogue for the extra bonus action is that, aside from being really strong in general, you also get to be really good at lockpicking and have advantage on the check while wearing the gear you want for combat. No need to swap gear or switch characters, just click all the chests and open them up with minimal speed bumps.

But yeah, at the very least they should have removed the 1=auto fail when lockpicking. There's no interesting outcome there, just wasted time.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

congrats on BG3 for winning the only GOTY award that's worth winning, The SA Games Forum GOTY

space uncle posted:

Halfling Karlach romance is worth it just for the scenes of her kneeling down to smooch you.

Big Gegeruju hours there

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Does this seriously work lmao

Yes. If you don't want to wait until they die, you can sell them a pouch, put all the items you want in that pouch, and then steal it. You'll only have to succeed 1 roll and the DC will be severely reduced.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Yes. If you don't want to wait until they die, you can sell them a pouch, put all the items you want in that pouch, and then steal it. You'll only have to succeed 1 roll and the DC will be severely reduced.

Does this work on console? Can’t seem to find a way to move their items

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ah looks like it was fixed in hotfix 14, sad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just did it this morning on PC. Put everything Lann Tarv had in a pouch, only had to pass a 19 DC with Thieflach to get everything he had.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

When does this happen? I fought Gortash right away at his coronation as Karlach origin and never got to see this. Is it after he offers you the alliance but before you go to the Morphic Pools?

When you get Orin's stone and accept the alliance. He calls you a dumbass not worth his time as he wants an equal.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I just did it this morning on PC. Put everything Lann Tarv had in a pouch, only had to pass a 19 DC with Thieflach to get everything he had.

Oh weird. I can’t see how to do that on console, maybe it’s a pc thing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

There is already a infallible lockpick in act 3, it's called 'a sword'

I kicked Astarion out of party, I just had Karlach walk through every trap and used Eldritch Blast to open stuff up. If you’re a hammer all problems are nails!

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice
Well, my honour run ended. Got absolutely dumpstered at the final fight with the brain. I'm still not exactly sure how it's AOE works but it instantly annihilated two party members that jumped in and it went downhill from there.

That's my last playthrough until DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just learned that you can send those two Absolute newbies to fight the owl bear, long rest, and then the fight's already over so you don't even have to lift a finger to loot the cave+their bodies.