Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s me posting something that isn’t a complaint!

When I first started posting in this thread back in like 2013 I said that I’ve always wanted to live in NYC but couldn’t afford it. Now I’m at a gig where I can, plus I would upgrade earlier being based there. Additional pro: I’m single with no pets or ties. Biggest con: I’m already 36. 37 soon.

I’m in CLT, which is convenient but lacking pretty heavily in culture that isn’t airport or banker bro based. The older I get the less I’m loving the “I’m still in college mentally” scene that is everywhere here.

Maybe I’m just having a mid life thing but I’m really starting to kick the idea around. Also don’t tell the NC thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Here’s me posting something that isn’t a complaint!

When I first started posting in this thread back in like 2013 I said that I’ve always wanted to live in NYC but couldn’t afford it. Now I’m at a gig where I can, plus I would upgrade earlier being based there. Additional pro: I’m single with no pets or ties. Biggest con: I’m already 36. 37 soon.

I’m in CLT, which is convenient but lacking pretty heavily in culture that isn’t airport or banker bro based. The older I get the less I’m loving the “I’m still in college mentally” scene that is everywhere here.

Maybe I’m just having a mid life thing but I’m really starting to kick the idea around. Also don’t tell the NC thread.

Wait... were you in Fort Worth last night?? Eating a big-rear end burger with an egg on it? I swear I had this same conversation with an AA pilot last night. Must have been you.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: wow we hung out last night!

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 13, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Get out of here

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

ARE YOU [redacted]

Wow.. what are the odds. PM me you contact for when you are around in NY and we'll hang out in Brooklyn.

Animal fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 13, 2024

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m not even gonna lie I almost posted here last night to see if it was one of you. It just felt like it, plus I remember you talking about your position change in here.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If I had a nickel for every time I ran into some random internet person while I’m at an equally random airport I’d have like 3 nickels so glad I’m not the only one it happens to

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Do you not all start every conversation asking if you have stairs in your house? Just in case?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

If I had a nickel for every time I ran into some random internet person while I’m at an equally random airport I’d have like 3 nickels so glad I’m not the only one it happens to

This wasn’t even at the airport, it happened in an ordinary burger bar in downtown Ft Worth. And I layover all over the world. Truly very small odds.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Amazing

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Aw a lil goon meet cute :3:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rolo posted:

I don’t think any of us would blame you for fleeing CLT

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Another thread miracle!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

This wasn’t even at the airport, it happened in an ordinary burger bar in downtown Ft Worth. And I layover all over the world. Truly very small odds.

We don’t even use that hotel often, it was a maintenance cancellation leading to a last second booking from DFW.

While talking to you I was seriously considering posting about it but I mean, what are the odds.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

rolo you couldnt tell it was animal by his fuckoff huge rollie on his wrist? step up the game son!

for real though thats super wild. i dont even see my classmates out on the line so meeting a rando from this dead g*y comedy forum is impressive

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Arson Daily posted:

rolo you couldnt tell it was animal by his fuckoff huge rollie on his wrist? step up the game son!

I would have let him wear it!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We've literally talked in the watches thread too, now he knows in real life that I have little bitty baby wrists!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
That is so cool!!!

There was a goon here who was an approach controller in Corpus Christi who asked me if I had stairs in my house while flying, over approach. Trying to explain that to the guy I was flying with was fun.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
How in the heck does that kind of discussion even organically happen over VHF :psyduck:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

“Hey, this guy sounds like a huge fuckin dork…”

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I just try to insert loss, goatse, groverhaus and house stairs into every conversation to check which corner of the internet people are from.

Awesome impromptu goon meet! I seem to only run into people I don't want to see lol

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

instantly my favorite watch thread/aviation thread happening

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

gonna start asking dpes if they have stairs in their house

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

"southwest 420 y'all got stairs in your house?"

"southwest 420 i am protected"

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
"Anybody on the Echo Track has stairs in their house?"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What happened to ferret king, weren’t they ATC?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Gonna start asking DH pilots when I’m seated next to them

During boarding

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 14, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I guess I will start posting here since I told my parents I'm done being lazy, and according to my grandmother, I quote, "need to start pursuing my pilot dream of mine." Is it better to just go to a local school and treat becoming a pilot at school like a job, or is there some big chain of schools doing it better than everyone else? I was recommended ATP, but I need to find out more. I live in Hawaii, so all advice is welcome since I will most likely be moving to go to flight school. Thanks in advance because the more I look into this, the more I need clarification.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How old are you and what's your ultimate goal in learning to fly

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Sagebrush posted:

How old are you and what's your ultimate goal in learning to fly

22, and the ultimate goal is to be a commercial or cargo pilot. Not picky, as I just want to fly for a career.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Kwolok posted:

How in the heck does that kind of discussion even organically happen over VHF :psyduck:

We had talked itt about him working there and my navy squadrons callsign. I mentioned I was doing a flight the next day with a specific callsign and he happened to be working.

Still doesn’t negate the weirdness of the question. It may have been ferret king too I’m not sure. It was prob ten years ago.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

"southwest 420 y'all got stairs in your house?"

"southwest 420 i am protected"

I have done this to a GTI 767.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

A Sneaker Broker posted:

22, and the ultimate goal is to be a commercial or cargo pilot. Not picky, as I just want to fly for a career.

If you're not currently going to school or working the big full time pilot schools are your best bet. Most smaller flight schools are designed to fly students once or twice a week, not every day. Keep in mind that going from zero to professional pilot in a year or so will cost a ton of money. If you don't have a giant pile of cash hanging around you will want to look at schools with cadet programs or secure some sort of financing before starting.

I would highly suggest doing a few flights at a local flight school to see if you actually like flying before making a huge financial and time investment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

KodiakRS posted:

I would highly suggest doing a few flights at a local flight school to see if you actually like flying before making a huge financial and time investment.

Adding to this very good advice, if this really is going to be your thing and you’re ready to go from 0 to 100, I would go ahead and get your student pilot medical certificate.

The ‘medical’ is a basic ~150$ fully body physical exam you’ll have to keep current your entire career. You technically don’t need it yet but I think it’s best to know you don’t have anything medically disqualifying (god forbid) before going 5-6 figures in debt for flight school.

If you decide to go that route and go to a pilot mill, tons of us here can give you more advice on the subject. It’s what I did and I’d do it again.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

MrYenko posted:

Yeah we all know how that turned out

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Not THAT one, but I did talk to that one on the way out. :negative:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MrYenko posted:

I have done this to a ZMA :allears:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JustAnother_Ben/status/1746230753719959998

B...b...b...but Sully and ALPA and Schumer said this was bad!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Rolo posted:

Adding to this very good advice, if this really is going to be your thing and you’re ready to go from 0 to 100, I would go ahead and get your student pilot medical certificate.

The ‘medical’ is a basic ~150$ fully body physical exam you’ll have to keep current your entire career. You technically don’t need it yet but I think it’s best to know you don’t have anything medically disqualifying (god forbid) before going 5-6 figures in debt for flight school.

If you decide to go that route and go to a pilot mill, tons of us here can give you more advice on the subject. It’s what I did and I’d do it again.

I’ll get this and do one of those one hour flights to see if I want to be fully invested. I’ll also start checking out some cadet schools. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Realistically, if I'm just a basic GA pilot who isn't allowed to receive payment from my passengers, do you ever get in trouble for things like, "yeah I didn't accept payment from my passengers but they bought me lunch and dinner" kinda thing?