Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Silegna posted:

There were times where I was just engrossed in what I was doing, and couldn't even properly react to the game because I had been playing for hours.

Alxprit posted:

The story is great, as is to be expected from this series at this point, and comes with some really shocking and interesting revelations.

Trinexx posted:

the story hit me like nothing else I’ve played this year and I still can’t help but think about some of the big moments in this game.

34. Xenoblades Chronicles 3/Future Redeemed (Monolith Soft) (2022)
63 points. Voted for 8 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 7.8
Down by 30 places.

Someone mentioned that technically, in some strange way, Xenogears connects to this universe.... I am interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's just so many Poke-clones, I suppose it warrants an investigation if it's high on the Goons GOTY list tho!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

VideoGames posted:

While I have yet to properly play this, I have heard some music and Take Over is one of the greatest songs ever.

You absolutely need to play this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Someone mentioned that technically, in some strange way, Xenogears connects to this universe.... I am interested.

You are definitely going to love Xenoblades 1 and 3

You will probably also like 2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

Rules. There's not much to say about it. Just cool as gently caress for 30 hours.

Plebian Parasite posted:

every second I play this game I feel cool, not just when I stagger a boss with a big loving counter attack and annihilate him with huge combo moves but also just existing in Midgar is great.

susan b buffering posted:

I will never get tired of hearing Aerith's "I'll show you what I can do" reverb out into the distance as I switch into tactical mode. If Rebirth isn't my #1 game next year I'll be shocked.

33. Final Fantasy VII Remake (SquareEnix) (2022)
64 points. Voted for 8 times. Average of 8
Up by 35 places.

This is my second favourite game of all time ever and with FFVII rebirth out in just a few weeks....oh my goodness...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

You are definitely going to love Xenoblades 1 and 3

You will probably also like 2

Veeg likes Gollum and Starfield

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona 5's pretty okay, I guess

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Looks like a bunch of ppl pulled the trigger on Remake in anticipation of Rebirth

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Jossar posted:

...I still have to go back and try Temtem again before I even think about poking at one of those.

It's so friggin' charming, with its soundtrack, art style and just going around the islands was a relaxing time. The biggest thing holding it back in my opinion is how evolution relies on how many levels your monsters gained...adding new mons from the latter three islands kinda stinks for that reason. I put over 300 hours in early access, and I just got soured on it big-time when it hit 1.0 and they went into mtx immediately. Like, 15 dollars to get a mount that lets you avoid random encounters and move around faster, when normally you'd only get one near the end of the game.

I really like the doubles battles format though, and PVP was enjoyable for what I played of it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We're about seven weeks from the next final fantasy seven!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Arist posted:

Persona 5's pretty okay, I guess

Persona 4 is better :twisted:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fridge corn posted:

Looks like a bunch of ppl pulled the trigger on Remake in anticipation of Rebirth

Probably helped that pre-orders of rebirth give remake for free (if you specifically bought the bundle that gives both)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played a bunch of FFVII OG in the last couple weeks, think I'm nearing the end of Disc 2

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Veeg likes Gollum and Starfield

Love Starfield. Had a surprising amount of fun with Gollum... my standards...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FF7 Remake up by 35!! incredible!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

Persona 4 is better :twisted:

The joke there is that I've LP'd Persona 5 twice, but also, yes, I probably agree with this

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, drat

Can't wait to finally play it in 2028 or whatever

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

If these trends continue...it'll be -2 by next year!!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Cool to see a lot of people replaying (or just getting around to) Remake to get ready for Rebirth!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

fridge corn posted:

This year was actually my second time playing it, but the first time I actually engaged with the combat system on its own terms :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

iTrust posted:

The gameplay loop is deceptively simple but exists in a perfect balance so you’re never doing something for so long as it begins to overstay its welcome. You dive to catch fish to turn into sushi to make money so you can dive to catch fish. Then things become complicated by a fun and interesting plot. Also the guy who makes weapons for you has an anime body pillow.

MikeRabsitch posted:

One of the few games to make me laugh out loud at various points, it was well written with great character design

tildes posted:

Super fun combination of gameplay loops. Very chill and not super demanding, but still satisfying to progress through.

32. Dave the Diver (Mintrocket) (2023)
67 points. Voted for 18 times. Average of 3.7

The new Ridiculous Fishing.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'll get Dave the diver once it has a good sale. Can't wait.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Fifteen of Many posted:

10. Spiritfarer (9 points, runner up)
9. ???
8. ???
7. Nioh 2 (16 points, runner up) and Final Fantasy Origins: Stranger of Paradise (#39)
6. ???
5. ???
4. The Last of Us (7 points, runner up)
3. ???
2. Vampire Survivors (37 points, runner up)
1. ???

I cheated with a dual-7th place for Nioh 2 and FFOSOP since they're so similar and made by the same folks. Nioh 2 is harder and more mechanically complex but FFOSOP has that undeniable rizz.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

HopperUK posted:

The technical issues can't be denied, but they also can't quite ruin the experience. This is the first generation where I bought both versions just to play through the slightly-altered story again.

Shneak posted:

But this franchise has a chokehold on me. This year marked the first time I ever completed a Pokédex from scratch.

Mysticblade posted:

I liked the Titan quest, I liked the Team Star questline, I liked the Paldea dex a lot and I think the new mons make for one of the best generations we've had in a long time. Maybe since even Gen 3? Definitely a top new dex of all time.

31. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet (Game Freak) (2022)
67 points. Voted for 11 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 6.1
Down by 25 places.

I am making Pokemon Scarlet the first proper pokemon I go through. (My five or so hours of Let's Go Pokemon does not count).

teo4512
Jun 27, 2023
I'm really enjoying the list. So far it got me to add Misericorde to my wishlist. Also just pointing out a small mistake with The Void Rains Upon Her Heart appearing twice under the 17 points category. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the entries.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

teo4512 posted:

I'm really enjoying the list. So far it got me to add Misericorde to my wishlist. Also just pointing out a small mistake with The Void Rains Upon Her Heart appearing twice under the 17 points category. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the rest of the entries.

Thank you! I fixed that :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

DalaranJ posted:

a laid back game about efficiency. It doesn't seem like this should be possible, but despite the goal being to do things as fast as you can, you can really take it at the pace you want.

Bug Squash posted:

This one was a delight to play through with the family, and the kids loved coming with names for the enemies.

Regy Rusty posted:

I’ve been waiting for this game for 10 years and they absolutely delivered on all of my expectations and beyond.

30. Pikmin 4 (Nintendo EPD/Eighting) (2023)
67 points. Voted for 10 times. Apeared #1 once. Average of 6.7

Thanks to Regy's insisting, I am going to play Pikmin 1 before the mid point of the year :D

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Veeg plays pokemon will be a journey

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ah, the 30s. The ranking list sweet spot of "dudes ordering around other dudes to fight things on their behalf."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Regy's insisting, I am going to play Pikmin 1 before the mid point of the year :D

Yes yessssss

Pikmin

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I went through some rough times around when I bought this game, and it really has helped me work through it. I have absolutely no idea what to expect next from this game, but one thing's for sure.

I'll never forget my time with this game.

A Sometimes Food posted:

So let’s say an npc wants an item. You have it, but it's in a storage box. Need to run back for it right? Nah you can just pull from boxes to complete quests. Or build. It just gets rid of the obnoxious stuff and leaves in the friction and grinds that people actually like in these games.

Snooze Cruise posted:

This is on the other hand is charming and funny. Biggest improvement I ever seen from a sequel?

29. My Time at Sandrock (Pathea Games) (2023)
67 points. Voted for 8 times. Appeared #1 twice. Average of 8.3

This looks like a good fun time and apparently works great on Steam Deck! A new comfort game?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ahhhhh were halfway through already!!!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I've just started to play MTA:Sandrock and it is soo good. Huge improvement over MTA:Portia.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I played the campaign once and thought it was awesome. The art direction is magnificent and the action is taut.

Lonegar posted:

Played this with my wife and we had a great time going through the surprisingly long campaign.

Rosalind posted:

I had a ton of fun playing this with my friends. I am sure there is a reason why I am mathematically wrong to enjoy this game that a 40,000 word Reddit post will explain why it's not as good as D2 or POE but I don't care.

28. Diablo IV (Blizzard) (2023)
69 points. Nice. Voted for 15 times. Average of 4.6

Nice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked FFXVI but I'm utterly shocked it hasn't shown up yet

Jerusalem