Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Figured someone would have posted it in here by now but I'll crosspost the Pats piece

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39290103/it-was-patriot-way

quote:

He wanted to force Kraft to decide. "He's going to have to move first," Belichick said.

quote:

In one staff meeting, O'Brien got angry with Belichick during a discussion about running plays. He stormed out. The rest of the coaches were quiet, unsure of what to do. Belichick just let it go, knowing it all would be over soon.

quote:

Then, during offseason planning meetings, Belichick later told people in the building, he raised the idea to the Krafts of trading quarterback Mac Jones. The Krafts had embraced Jones after he was drafted in the first round in 2021, hoping to build something close to a Brady-like relationship with him. "I'm going to do what I need to get my quarterback the right people," Kraft told a confidant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lmao was he really friends with Robinson?

Yeah, he worked with Licht in New England and Tampa.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

At this point I don't really give a gently caress who we pick. It's not going to work out anyway.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dave Tepper should announce himself head coach

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

Dave Tepper should announce himself head coach

Give me the job. I at least won't force the offensive line into a zone blocking scheme and will sell the farm for a decent wide receiver. Also if Tepper gets in my face I'll just [redcated] and flee to mexico and you'll all be free.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Think Steve Wilks would still want the job? Get him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The bar Reich and rhule set is so loving low you could trip over it.

Wilks would be fine paired with a decent OC bur if you're doing that. Just promote evero

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Panthers head coach kliff kingsburgy

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kingsbury would at least dial up plays from this decade.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mcmagic posted:

He must be thinking that a few more jobs could open up after this weekend. The loser of Phlly and Tampa.... maybe dallas if they lose.

He also has the luxury of waiting this whole cycle out if there aren't any openings that appeal to him. It's not like he wouldn't be one of the most sought-after names next year, too.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Siranni isn’t going to be fired even if they lose. Philly fans have had it a bit too good with 3 of their last 4 coaches getting to the Super Bowl. Plus your not going to fire a guy one year after losing in the SB.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Harbaugh speaking with the Chargers. Maxx Crosby threatening to request a trade if Antonio Pierce isn’t retained? drat.

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1746162914443092430?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wandler20 posted:

I don't think they're gonna hire the guy who got Licht's buddy fired from Tennessee.
Robinson fired himself by trading away AJ Brown

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
why not? he lost the Super Bowl.

in short sirianni did not

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Think Steve Wilks would still want the job? Get him.

If it was an option I’d be on board.

Wilks strikes me as the kind of guy who harbors a grudge and good for him. He’s been hosed over twice by nfl owners.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

syzpid posted:

Siranni isn’t going to be fired even if they lose. Philly fans have had it a bit too good with 3 of their last 4 coaches getting to the Super Bowl. Plus your not going to fire a guy one year after losing in the SB.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either way. It absolutely sounds insane to get rid of a coach that has been to the playoffs every year and just lost the Super Bowl last year. No question. But it's hard to overstate how thoroughly the house of cards keeping this team afloat has collapsed. People mystified by the discourse around firing Sirianni act as though the Eagles suddenly turned around and started playing sub-par ball. They've been playing sub-par ball all year. Their defense was getting dunked on by Mac Jones in week one and hasn't gotten better. Their offense has had moments of brilliance — thanks entirely to an incredible roster — but mostly been mired in dead-simple schemes that get sniffed out and demolished with halftime adjustments. They rode phenomenal luck to get to 10-1 when they should have been near .500, and then the luck ran out and the wheels fell off.

And what's damning for Sirianni is he's had no answers whatsoever. When they were winning, it was by the skin of their teeth and anybody watching the games knew something was up. When they stopped winning, they didn't change anything and rolled over for everybody. Actually, they changed one thing: They swapped out their awful hand-picked DC for Matt Patricia, who proceeded to make things even worse, because he's Matt loving Patricia.

And now you're at the point where the team seems to have given up on their coaches entirely. What do you even do with that? Do you give everybody the offseason to cool down and bring Sirianni back next year on a short leash? Or do you look at some of the coaches on the market — including one of the winningest coaches of all time whose defensive chops this season were still really, really loving good despite having absolutely nobody of note on that side of the ball — and wonder if maybe this roster's window can stay open a while longer?

I cannot stress enough how bizarre it has been to follow this team all season. If the talk you're hearing around the Eagles makes no sense at all, it's because the Eagles themselves make no sense at all.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either way. It absolutely sounds insane to get rid of a coach that has been to the playoffs every year and just lost the Super Bowl last year. No question. But it's hard to overstate how thoroughly the house of cards keeping this team afloat has collapsed. People mystified by the discourse around firing Sirianni act as though the Eagles suddenly turned around and started playing sub-par ball. They've been playing sub-par ball all year. Their defense was getting dunked on by Mac Jones in week one and hasn't gotten better. Their offense has had moments of brilliance — thanks entirely to an incredible roster — but mostly been mired in dead-simple schemes that get sniffed out and demolished with halftime adjustments. They rode phenomenal luck to get to 10-1 when they should have been near .500, and then the luck ran out and the wheels fell off.

And what's damning for Sirianni is he's had no answers whatsoever. When they were winning, it was by the skin of their teeth and anybody watching the games knew something was up. When they stopped winning, they didn't change anything and rolled over for everybody. Actually, they changed one thing: They swapped out their awful hand-picked DC for Matt Patricia, who proceeded to make things even worse, because he's Matt loving Patricia.

And now you're at the point where the team seems to have given up on their coaches entirely. What do you even do with that? Do you give everybody the offseason to cool down and bring Sirianni back next year on a short leash? Or do you look at some of the coaches on the market — including one of the winningest coaches of all time whose defensive chops this season were still really, really loving good despite having absolutely nobody of note on that side of the ball — and wonder if maybe this roster's window can stay open a while longer?

I cannot stress enough how bizarre it has been to follow this team all season. If the talk you're hearing around the Eagles makes no sense at all, it's because the Eagles themselves make no sense at all.

Don't the Eagles have a lot of missed games in their secondary too? I remember seeing them losing corners for the season EARLY.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chris James 2 posted:

Figured someone would have posted it in here by now but I'll crosspost the Pats piece

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/39290103/it-was-patriot-way

Meetings to prepare for meetings are the biggest sign of a completely dysfunctional organization.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toaster Beef posted:

Or do you look at some of the coaches on the market — including one of the winningest coaches of all time whose defensive chops this season were still really, really loving good despite having absolutely nobody of note on that side of the ball — and wonder if maybe this roster's window can stay open a while longer?

I'm just gonna say you really do not want Kirk Ferentz.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Forrest on Fire posted:

Don't the Eagles have a lot of missed games in their secondary too? I remember seeing them losing corners for the season EARLY.

That's definitely an issue, yeah, and it's not like coaching is the only thing holding this defense back. They need personnel.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Normally ownership shouldn't really bow down to player demands regarding coaches but in this case you probably should because that defense is absolutely nothing with Crosby's insane work ethic, on field production and leadership.

If Davis fucks things up and Maxx ends up leaving, that'll be 2 All-Pro edge rushers that the team has run off in like 6 years... I'd honestly be looking for a new team at that point until Mark sells the team or dies.

Black Sunshine fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 13, 2024

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Timby posted:

Meetings to prepare for meetings are the biggest sign of a completely dysfunctional organization.

Is almost assuredly something pretty standard like the coaches have a meeting at 9 to prepare for their meetings with the players at 10

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Black Sunshine posted:

Normally ownership shouldn't really bow down to player demands regarding coaches but in this case you probably should because that defense is absolutely nothing with Crosby's insane work ethic, on field production and leadership.

I feel like players picking their own coach doesn't really work out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

To be fair Mark Davis picking his own coach doesn’t really work out either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

To be fair Mark Davis picking his own coach doesn’t really work out either.

Harbaugh or Vrabel. It's NFL ownership on easy mode.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Harbaugh or Vrabel. It's NFL ownership on easy mode.

Dropping Pierce for Vrabel sounds pretty loving stupid

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Bill to the Bucs who says yes

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The337th posted:

Dropping Pierce for Vrabel sounds pretty loving stupid

Based on a few meaningless games at the end of a bad season? You have no idea if Pierce is a good coach or not.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nervous posted:

not me!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nervous posted:

Todd Monken or bust.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Raiders should hire Vrabel just so Crosby can leave the team in a huff and come to Detroit.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Based on a few meaningless games at the end of a bad season? You have no idea if Pierce is a good coach or not.

Vrabel is not a Harbaugh tier coaching prospect, and not even close to it

He's like mildly more intriguing than the average potential also-ran hire

But yeah, the Raiders should probably disrupt any team chemistry and potentially shove off another star player for a questionable splash hiring at coach, how did that one work out the last two times again?

Harbaugh at least has a resume justifying that mentality

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

wandler20 posted:

Todd Monken or bust.

gently caress you we just got him :mad:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Todd Monken or bust.

the Jets should've hired Monken on like 3 different occasions.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

mcmagic posted:

If you ignore that he:

Took over a dysfunctional team and instantly changed the culture

Went 5-4 as interim finishing the season going 3-1 with all of those wins against division rivals

Played a role in the Raiders having a top 10 defense for the first time in 22 years

Had the team playing the most disciplined Raiders football that I've ever seen in 30+ years of watching games and ended up the least penalized team in the entire league for the first time ever (noting that they are always among the most penalized teams)

Has intense support amongst his players to stay on as head coach

Curb stomped the Chargers, dropping 63 points on them and literally getting their coach fired the next day

Beat the Chiefs in Arrowhead on Christmas day while they were still fighting for the #1 seed and ended that dream for them even with our QB not completing a single pass beyond the first quarter, etc, etc

Yeah sure, if you turn a blind eye to that stuff then I guess we have no idea if AP is a good coach or not. Then again, ignoring those real things that actually happened is really loving stupid. He might not end up a great coach but I'm happy with what he's shown me so far. When a dude makes your team do a 180 in so many different ways, he just might be on to something.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mcmagic posted:

There are some teams who could probably benefit from just giving “good vibes” a go for a bit instead of whatever their interpretation of being a “good coach” looks like.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

gently caress you we just got him :mad:

we had him first!!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/dmrussini/status/1746180819113185302?s=46

So latest is:
Chargers: Harbaugh
Raiders: Pierce
Falcons: Belichick
Commanders: Johnson
Seahawks: Quinn
Panthers: ???/Johnson
Titans: ???

Where does Vrabel go? Can’t see him in Carolina. Maybe if another job opens up.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I feel like there were reports of teams with “safe” coaches reevaluating those decisions in light of Vrabel’s firing. So maybe there will be some surprise firings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Raiders should hire Vrabel just so Crosby can leave the team in a huff and come to Detroit.