Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The heck is a XOXO lmao?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never had a letter from a grandma eh?

"kiss hug kiss hug"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Finn confused by expression of affection shocker

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Never had a letter from a grandma eh?

"kiss hug kiss hug"

No I never had a letter from grandma, she lived in the same suburb.

Oh I see.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_signal
It was invented in 1859 so nazis can gently caress right off with their dumb number/letter substitution system, hitler wasn't even born yet

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

flat earth shortwave station

3D Megadoodoo posted:

normal to end your messages with heil Hitler,

To be fair, it’s not digging too deep

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A bible thumping flat earth shortwave station that may or may not be heiling hitler?

This all checks out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

namlosh posted:

To be fair, it’s not digging too deep

Well if you dig too deep you'll fall out of Earth.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it normal to end your messages with heil Hitler, best regards in the ham world? Or is it just these guys.

Yes, Ham Radio guys are mostly old racists

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

They are, but this is more of a gender thing than a racism thing. 73 is for guys (best regards) while 88 is mostly used for women (hugs and kisses).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yes, Ham Radio guys are mostly old racists

Sounds like they’ve got to get with the times. Change to Avocado On Toast Radio or something.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I remember when my friends would whisper the name ~MATROX MILLENNIUM~ in hushed tones, like it was the impossible holy-grail component that nobody could afford but if you somehow got one your computing experience would be TO THE MOON

Those had much better picture quality than most consumer SVGA cards and were very expensive at the time. They're cheap now because there are faster cards for DOS gaming but for picture quality they couldn't be beaten (this is before HDMI and DP, everything was analog and quality mattered). You mostly saw them in Windows NT workstations.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 16:27 on Jan 12, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Heil Hitler, heil Hitler, gossip girl

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Data Graham posted:

That seems like a tradition they may want to revisit

(unless it's a "why should we change, he's the one who sucks" situation)

It is part of the Philips 92 codes where there are aliases for longer meanings that are converted to two numbers so you don't waste a lot of money when telegraphs were priced per character. If you want to want an "Answer promptly by wire" , you just transmit "44".

There are also codes in there to help or warn about the quality between the people on the wire to help with possible or activd communication problems.

during a transmitting session someone might send a "17" which means "Lightning here" which can corrupt the message and might prepend the message with a " 24" which means to " repeat this back" so they can confirm the message got through correctly.

This coding system was created in 1879 so that coding system was made before the world's most petulant child was born.

Here's a page where it has all possible 4668 codes including the special 92 codes including a search on the codes and a message conversion application which converts a message to the system

Time to research: it took only ONE Google search of "88 radio code" to find out it wasn't Nazi related. I mean, drat, people assumed FAST it def a secret Nazi cabal :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I sure hope telegraph codes predate Trump.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arivia posted:

I sure hope telegraph codes predate Trump.

In this day and age, this thought is necessary.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The heck is a XOXO lmao?
I feel you 3DMDD, I absolutely learned about this as an adult when a lady friend of mine signed off XOXO to me and I responded "OX OX!!!" because I thought she was just typing random things

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you non native english speakers or something? I feel like at some point you've had to run across some sort of media that had a letter or a card that had "XO XO" on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

remembering the people freaking out that seven segment displays were show with all the lights active, and all those 8s in a row has to be a cryptic nazi code

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s sad that there are still enough Nazis that people have become very familiar with spotting Nazis, and also that the world being so lovely has broken some people’s brains enough that they now just see Nazis everywhere they look

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Cojawfee posted:

Are you non native english speakers or something? I feel like at some point you've had to run across some sort of media that had a letter or a card that had "XO XO" on it.

3D is excused, IIRC he's from the moon language bogs of Finland.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Time to research: it took only ONE Google search of "88 radio code" to find out it wasn't Nazi related. I mean, drat, people assumed FAST it def a secret Nazi cabal :allears:

sorry I've already posted extensively on Mastodon about how ham radio is riddled with Nazis and I will not back down

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this Hitler fella sounds like a bit of a dick !!

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Bargearse posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that this Hitler fella sounds like a bit of a dick !!

gotta say, the more i hear about this "Hitler" guy, the less I like him!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Some people's obsession with finding 14 and 88 in EVERYTHING is bordering on numerology at this point.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

it was numerology from the get go, I'll be very surprised if some of the nazi party elite weren't looking for auspicious numbers as the Wehrmacht got kicked in the teeth, the arse and crouch.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Sweevo posted:

Some people's obsession with finding 14 and 88 in EVERYTHING is bordering on numerology at this point.

Everyone be careful. From my entire folder of evidence of just the quote above, this guy is probably a very bad person!!!!

they said the baaaaad numbers

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Computer viking posted:

3D is excused, IIRC he's from the moon language bogs of Finland.

That's no excuse. He's been terminally online for so long that he knows the British texting conventions.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

sorry I've already posted extensively on Mastodon about how ham radio is riddled with Nazis and I will not back down

To be fair you're probably right still :v:

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Right but for the wrong reasons is still right.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Sweevo posted:

Out of all the main numbers my eye catches when scanning things,

75% of those have to do with Hitler :|

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

credburn posted:

You think about 69ing with Hitler?

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Coincidentally 420 is Hitler's birthday and the birthday of the guy who killed Hitler.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

credburn posted:

You don't scan for funny 666s? Lame.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

:wink:
:wmwink:

Pham Nuwen posted:

You could say Nazis and Hitler are living rent free in your head and that's what they want :allears:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Don't, history records him as a terrible lover.
Prudish, inflexible and uncaring.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

By popular demand posted:

Don't, history records him as a terrible lover.
Prudish, inflexible and uncaring.

I have a followup joke but it's also amazingly racist. As Goons i'm sure you can figure it out. If any mods see this I'll take a probe.

A real [type of person he hated] between the sheets, huh?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

the Hitler's Only Got One Ball song is not racist as far I know?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

You don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Desert Bus posted:

I have a followup joke but it's also amazingly racist. As Goons i'm sure you can figure it out. If any mods see this I'll take a probe.

A real [type of person he hated] between the sheets, huh?

:hmmyes: Bolshevik