Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Tim Whatley posted:

Grabbed Blackhat and True Romance UHDs

Good buys.

I did Arrow's sale over the holiday and grabbed Carlito's Way 4K LE, Silent Running 4K, and the Hugo 4K LE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m gonna stop by after work and grab that fancy Mill of the Stone Women set. I think they only have one copy left, nobody buy it from my local Barnes and Noble before me, ok?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Got it. Thanks guys.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
This is the way

https://twitter.com/gecafe/status/1745389729548304877?s=46&t=t8CFjI5-v0IxaoLh38KSzw

Finally a way to get a handle on this unruly pile of The Wire box sets

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How am I supposed to reach the top shelf? Include a sliding ladder and we'll talk.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

How am I supposed to reach the top shelf? Include a sliding ladder and we'll talk.

Whatever you want from the top shelf is also on the 3rd, 8th, 6th, 4th, 7th, 2nd and 5th shelves. And the bottom shelf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Nothing better to do on the weekend than crack open a new set of the first four seasons of House and marathon the whole thing.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Maybe that guy simply throws each disc away after watching it once? Different strokes and all that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
DivX collectors are a dying breed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

DivX collectors are a dying breed.

Holy poo poo, that’s a name I had completely forgotten about.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

was divx a circuit city-exclusive thing? i think i only saw them there.

but yea, never touched them back in the day. really, my only interaction with 'divx' was filesing way back when and everything had divx in the obscenely long filename.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I didn't even know DivX was a physical format before a file format for a long time, at least not until recently when I was watching old tech store ads. I knew it for compressed fansubbed anime clips and how it always left a watermark on them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
DiVX the physical format was different from DiVX the file format. The physical DiVX was famous for self destructing after it was exposed to the laser.

pwn
May 27, 2004

What no? The player was connected to the internet and you paid to watch the disc. There was a bar code in the runoff that had to be read and approved before the disc could be played.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pwn posted:

What no? The player was connected to the internet and you paid to watch the disc. There was a bar code in the runoff that had to be read and approved before the disc could be played.

there was also a photo sensitive version i can't be arsed to look up right now that'd expose under oxygen i think, something requiring it to be shipped in a pouch.

there's a bunch of things that were tried before online access was even close to being universal

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccneE_gkSAs

I think these were the disks that were sensitive to oxygen. Wild stuff.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh god i vaguely remember that now though I had completely forgotten it. So they basically intentionally used poor glue in manufacture to do a disc rot speed run as soon as it was exposed to air. Wild poo poo.

A comment confirmed my suspicion that the discs could be ripped in a computer before rotting. But as they were single layer, they were overcompressed to begin with. Lol.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/zavvi/status/1745824420919116264?s=46
That Green Room set. OMG.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Second Sight really deliver the goods when it comes to high quality releases - minus the Frontiers disc (transfer looks like total garbage). One of my favorite labels. Speaking of my favorite labels, Eureka UK annoyed that they are getting into the US market this year.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Best Buy appears to be blowing out a bunch of their stock. Steelbooks for $9.99!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I visited an HMV this week. First time in about 4 years I’ve been in an actual physical blu-ray store. They had a dedicated section for Arrow/Criterion/BFI sets. Incredible.

I got so overwhelmed by choice I left with just the Criterion edition of Eraserhead and the Young Ones and Blackadder boxes. 😓

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My The Raid Redemption 4K Steel just got here via diabolik. Hell yes.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Vinegar Syndrome has a partner release for Cleaners! I didn't realize. It's a super unique movie made by filming, scanning the frames and using highlighters to color parts of the photocopies, and reassembling the movie. It's a really unique coming-of-age anthology with a lot of surreal imagery and vignettes. While I wouldn't call it an all-time favorite, it's definitely worth a look if you've never seen it, and it's great it's getting such a strong release because it's otherwise only really viewable on a really specific streaming service last I checked.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collect...wZJcBK_Z.W8ryf6

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/secondsightfilm/status/1745822083978838286?s=46

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there a way for my Blu-ray players to show what's being played when they're playing regular-rear end CDs? It's all blank, and you'd think Gracenote would work there.

e: it turns out that ability was terminated five years ago. Boo!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 13, 2024

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Oh man i was just about to order the bluray for Green Room, thank you!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Tim Whatley posted:

Sorry should have posted the link. Yeah I wanted one to basically just have the case out for whatever I'm watching. They can do any color combo, and if you look under the review photos someone did in fact do Blockbuster colors. Pretty rad.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/950857177/now-showing-stand-for-small-media-dvds

Thank you for this, just got mine in blockbuster colors:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh hey, mine came in the other day too, in black and white. It looks great and can fit up to a VHS or VHS-sized case.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Hell yeah, now showing gang. Might get another in Blockbuster colors myself.

Another Etsy find. Got these dope metal theater signs the other day. (Lights only on to show the signs, I'm not a psychopath)

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 13, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah might have to get one too.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh hey, mine came in the other day too, in black and white. It looks great and can fit up to a VHS or VHS-sized case.

does anyone know if these will fit the vinegar syndrome magnet snap UHD special edition boxes?

I have a few and I've been looking for a way to actually display them but most display stands are for thinner boxes

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Orange Carlisle posted:

does anyone know if these will fit the vinegar syndrome magnet snap UHD special edition boxes?

I have a few and I've been looking for a way to actually display them but most display stands are for thinner boxes

For thickness, the VHS is basically the tightest squeeze you'll get. So I'd grab a tape and compare. I don't have a magnet snap case myself to check.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

I’m not certain but if it can hold a VHS tape I feel like it’s a probably?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

For thickness, the VHS is basically the tightest squeeze you'll get. So I'd grab a tape and compare. I don't have a magnet snap case myself to check.

thank you for the info - I was planning on grabbing one anyway but displaying those nice VS UHD boxes is what I was hoping I could use it for

PinkoBastard posted:

I’m not certain but if it can hold a VHS tape I feel like it’s a probably?

Yeah I cant imagine there is too much of a difference on thickness

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tim Whatley posted:

Another Etsy find. Got these dope metal theater signs the other day. (Lights only on to show the signs, I'm not a psychopath)

Is that Rodan? What format are you watching it in?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
drat that's a big center speaker. Jealous

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

Is that Rodan? What format are you watching it in?

hah it was Rodan. I actually just randomly had on Pluto which has a 24/7 Toho/Godzilla channel.

MacheteZombie posted:

drat that's a big center speaker. Jealous

Yeah it rules. Very grateful. I upgraded every speaker in here last week including adding those two heights. The center is a Polk Reserve Series R400.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Tim Whatley posted:

Nice setup!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tim Whatley posted:

hah it was Rodan. I actually just randomly had on Pluto which has a 24/7 Toho/Godzilla channel.

Ah gotcha. Was hoping there was a Blu-Ray that I had somehow missed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Tim Whatley posted:

2024 goal is to have a speaker setup like this but I honestly don’t even know where to begin. We’ve been using a Vizio sound bar for the past few years.