Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Copper pipes form a protective layer of oxidant, which is why your 60+ -YO pipes are brown and not…bright-coppery like the new stuff. Same holds for the inside, which also has a thin layer of mung that builds up.

Unless you have some weird water chemistry that will eat through the copper, they should last almost indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Gary told me on his way out that he would wipe down the copper pipes in the basement monthly, as some kind of preventative maintenance.

What’s up with that? He was a navy machinist mate, so maybe he got it from his job.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Anyone have an idea how long Copper L pipes last in a closed loop system?

Our boiler heating system is about 60 years old and while a visual inspection of the copper looks good, the Internet Wisdom suggests that these pipes only last 60 - 80 years before pinhole leaks develop. Now, this is for copper as general water pipes though, and I'm wondering if it makes an appreciable difference if the water inside the system rarely changes - My rationale here is that eventually all the reactants would decay out until you flush the system, so the copper should last a lot longer in such a system.

Does anyone know if this is generally the case, or if I should also be pricing out new copper in the house...?

A brazed joint that would well have been from the 60s decided to pop a leak at my moms. That said there was a lot of braze on the joint so I wonder if there was a story there from before.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nwin posted:

Gary told me on his way out that he would wipe down the copper pipes in the basement monthly, as some kind of preventative maintenance.

What’s up with that? He was a navy machinist mate, so maybe he got it from his job.

I can't find a link to the story, but there's an apocryphal tale about the British Navy pre-WW1 and how they were so concerned about appearance the admiralty had their sailors polishing brass portholes nearly around the clock, to the point that the porthole covers were no longer watertight, having been lowly sanded down with constant buffing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Anyone have an idea how long Copper L pipes last in a closed loop system?

Our boiler heating system is about 60 years old and while a visual inspection of the copper looks good, the Internet Wisdom suggests that these pipes only last 60 - 80 years before pinhole leaks develop. Now, this is for copper as general water pipes though, and I'm wondering if it makes an appreciable difference if the water inside the system rarely changes - My rationale here is that eventually all the reactants would decay out until you flush the system, so the copper should last a lot longer in such a system.

Does anyone know if this is generally the case, or if I should also be pricing out new copper in the house...?

I don't know, but if you're worried about it have you considered installing a leak detector? If you're worried about the entire system then you could get a whole-house system installed next to your water main and call it a day, a little expensive but a lot cheaper than dealing with a major leak. I've been thinking about getting a Phyn because it's an in-line detector with no moving parts on the sensor side

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 12, 2024

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I mean...

1. Copper has been used for pipes for as long as it has because it's reliable and isn't susceptible to many of the sources of corrosion that affect iron or steel.
2. A thing that can degrade copper pipes is galvanic corrosion from electrical ions flowing between different types of metal. A steel fitting in contact with a copper pipe will eventually corrode the pipe.
3. To prevent this, water systems usually add a sacrificial anode somewhere (usually in the water heater tank) to act as a donor for all the ions that are moving around. These gradually wear out over time and need to be replaced. As long as there's a sacrificial anode, galvanic corrosion will affect it and not your pipes.

If your system's working and has been well maintained, it's not going to hit a magic age and suddenly become unreliable, but that leads to the next point:

4. You should be budgeting for replacing it anyway. It will eventually wear out, and it's better to have some money put away for it than not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

99pct of germs posted:

So we had a bit of a storm last night and it peeled off some of the aluminum siding from our house.

Is this worth going through my insurance? It's covered but I have a $1000 deductible and I'm worried they'll do the bare minimum and hike my premium. Also factoring in is that we anticipate replacing the siding and windows at some point anyway.

Should I still file a claim and see what they say? Or just reach out to the GC I know and see if he can yabba dabba doo it back until we end up replacing the whole thing?

Apologies if this is stupid I'm a stupid first time home owner.

I'd look at why the siding peeled away? The corner trim piece is probably too short on the side-side of the house by half an inch or more. Bending it all back in place just means you're going to be doing this again in a year or two.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

That's some top shelf navy make-work for that mos.

Copper pipes need to be wiped down exactly once: after you solder them to wipe off the extra flux, which will eventually (decades in the future) damage them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Tricky Ed posted:

I mean...

1. Copper has been used for pipes for as long as it has because it's reliable and isn't susceptible to many of the sources of corrosion that affect iron or steel.
2. A thing that can degrade copper pipes is galvanic corrosion from electrical ions flowing between different types of metal. A steel fitting in contact with a copper pipe will eventually corrode the pipe.
3. To prevent this, water systems usually add a sacrificial anode somewhere (usually in the water heater tank) to act as a donor for all the ions that are moving around. These gradually wear out over time and need to be replaced. As long as there's a sacrificial anode, galvanic corrosion will affect it and not your pipes.

If your system's working and has been well maintained, it's not going to hit a magic age and suddenly become unreliable, but that leads to the next point:

4. You should be budgeting for replacing it anyway. It will eventually wear out, and it's better to have some money put away for it than not.

This all tracks - the entire system in the closed loop is copper, so I'm hoping this all just works for a few more decades. I've set aside bux for a replacement system too, although a *whole* system replacement is probably like... 50 grand :S.

Please just work pipes...

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

right arm posted:

yep lol power was only out for a couple hours yesterday but it was nice to feel like I timed buying something at the perfect moment lol

got to instantly befriend my neighbors this morning by tossing them a 20amp extension cord so they could run their furnace / fridge / whatever this morning :D

-2° next week lol

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

A fun mystery - what is this! I was cleaning out my gutter and found this in it. We do have a TPO roof but I don’t see any places with missing material, and the roof itself doesn’t really have sharp angles like on this thing. We did have a pretty brutal wind storm a few days ago. I did text it to the roofer we use and he doesn’t think it’s a part of the roof.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Part of a 737 Max?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Wrong state :(

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
What kind of scale are we working with here?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Maybe 4 inches long. The roofers guess was some sort of storm window latch. (I don’t have storm windows).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That’s a liquid roofing material that ran down & dripped into the gutter, then hardened. Expansion & contraction, and maybe a little wind, dislodged it & it fell into the gutter

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So my kiddos room is directly above the HVAC system and there's a dedicated, very short run from the HVAC straight into her room. We had a mild summer so it was fine but now it's creeping into the low 30s at night so we're running the heat to keep the house at ~63F more and more and the result is her room is like, probably 90F. The natural gas vent/chimney shares a wall with her closet so lots of heat entering that room

My 3 year old with her limited vocabulary described it as "sweaty" just now which is a new word I've never heard her use before

The room has a floor vent with one of those lovely stamped sheet metal abominations that works for the first month or so and then progressively turns to poo poo within about 3 months and then you give up on trying to solve the problem. I can set the vent to a particular amount open but then three days later it falls wide open and turns the room into a god-damned sauna

Are there any actually good vent things that don't suck? :pray:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 13, 2024

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Use a magnetic vent cover. We have the same problem with one of the boys rooms upstairs, it is the first after the vent so it gets the most volume.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hadlock posted:

So my kiddos room is directly above the HVAC system and there's a dedicated, very short run from the HVAC straight into her room. We had a mild summer so it was fine but now it's creeping into the low 30s at night so we're running the heat to keep the house at ~63F more and more and the result is her room is like, probably 90F. The natural gas vent/chimney shares a wall with her closet so lots of heat entering that room

My 3 year old with her limited vocabulary described it as "sweaty" just now which is a new word I've never heard her use before

The room has a floor vent with one of those lovely stamped sheet metal abominations that works for the first month or so and then progressively turns to poo poo within about 3 months and then you give up on trying to solve the problem. I can set the vent to a particular amount open but then three days later it falls wide open and turns the room into a god-damned sauna

Are there any actually good vent things that don't suck? :pray:

There’s always cast-iron: https://ventcoversunlimited.com/vin...jkaApZCEALw_wcB

And you can cover part of it as noted, but I’d try it first & see if the vanes hold their position

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

PainterofCrap posted:

That’s a liquid roofing material that ran down & dripped into the gutter, then hardened. Expansion & contraction, and maybe a little wind, dislodged it & it fell into the gutter

I think this is a good guess but it looks intentionally designed - there’s a screw hole at one end. Also my house is old (and the houses around me) and our gutters are weird, so they’re not made of metal, they’re just part of the roof.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Upgrade posted:

I think this is a good guess but it looks intentionally designed - there’s a screw hole at one end. Also my house is old (and the houses around me) and our gutters are weird, so they’re not made of metal, they’re just part of the roof.

It’s a bubble. That’s 100% cured liquid roofing and as a bonus it’s been painted over.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

mr.belowaverage posted:

It’s a bubble. That’s 100% cured liquid roofing and as a bonus it’s been painted over.

Huh! Could that have been blown on to my roof? None of the parts of mine look like that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So fun fact I just found out and I mostly just want to complain about:

You know that annoying poo poo Amazon and Walmart do where they act as a marketplace for third party sellers?

Yeah, Home Depot is doing that too, only they're not disclosing it on the website.

I had some poo poo I needed for a quick repair that I ordered last Monday. It was out of stock at the local home depot, but in-stock at one about 20 miles away. Whatever, order it online, set to arrive by Friday, I'll work on it over the long weekend. Friday comes and it isn't showing up. Check the website and it says it's running late, click here for tracking, but the tracking just throws an error.

So I call the support number and find out it was through a third party seller and hasn't been handed off to FedEx yet. I get them to contact the third party seller to find out of there is an ETA, which they do, and then they tell me the 3rd party seller is actually out of stock and it's back ordered. Note that I was never told, anywhere, that this was a loving back order.

So I refund the order and now my choices are either drive 20 miles each way during annoying weekend traffic so I can get this done over the holiday, or wait until the week, drive when traffic will be a lot better, but put off doing this until next weekend when I'll be a lot more busy.

In summary, gently caress online stores that want to be market places, double gently caress silent backorders of something that is labeled as "in stock," and triple gently caress Home Depot in particular for doing all this with zero disclosure and just pretending like everything was fine right up until it wasn't and even THEN only letting me find out how futile waiting would be when I bothered to call support and bitch at the robot until I got a human.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
More and more I’m just going to get things in person, but even the store’s “in stock” counter is wrong about 20% of the time (even more for Target). Extremely frustrating that we are almost back to “call store to have a person look at a thing to check it’s in stock” like I used to do 20 years ago.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Wow, gently caress that

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I'd look at why the siding peeled away? The corner trim piece is probably too short on the side-side of the house by half an inch or more. Bending it all back in place just means you're going to be doing this again in a year or two.

Age and lack of maintenance from the previous owners if the rest of the house has been any indication. As far as I can tell the aluminum siding is original to the house which was built in the 50s. Apart from that side of the house and a little bit on the back it's pretty solid everywhere else.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nybble posted:

More and more I’m just going to get things in person, but even the store’s “in stock” counter is wrong about 20% of the time (even more for Target). Extremely frustrating that we are almost back to “call store to have a person look at a thing to check it’s in stock” like I used to do 20 years ago.

Don't be silly, calling to talk to someone nowadays is usually harder than driving there yourself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

So fun fact I just found out and I mostly just want to complain about :

You know that annoying poo poo Amazon and Walmart do where they act as a marketplace for third party sellers?

Yeah, Home Depot is doing that too, only they're not disclosing it on the website.

gently caress I hate this so much

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Handy HD website tip that a former HD employee told me: if the In Stock count for a small in-store item is 1 or 2, it probably means they have none. That one or two got lost or stolen and hasn't been accounted for in the system.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

99pct of germs posted:

Age and lack of maintenance from the previous owners if the rest of the house has been any indication. As far as I can tell the aluminum siding is original to the house which was built in the 50s. Apart from that side of the house and a little bit on the back it's pretty solid everywhere else.

Aluminum siding is very much a late 70/80s thing. Your house almost certainly had some sort of masonry board (probably with asbestos) when it was built.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TerminalSaint posted:

Handy HD website tip that a former HD employee told me: if the In Stock count for a small in-store item is 1 or 2, it probably means they have none. That one or two got lost or stolen and hasn't been accounted for in the system.

I used to think this as well, until twice - a few years apart - they'd say they had 12+ of an item, and they had none

The latest one was a touch-lamp module or something similar. I get to the store, and they say that they have nine in stock, but they're coding weird in the system, and they decide that this means that they're on clearance, so check back in aisle 31A, and if they're not there, then I dunno, we have piles of clearance poo poo all over the store...

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Best way to do it may be to order for in-store pickup and wait until you get a confirmation.

He'd probably still be waiting

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 14, 2024

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nybble posted:

If you call a store they're just going to check the electronic inventory anyway

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Best way to do it may be to order for in-store pickup and wait until you get a confirmation.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I'm mounting a ledger board to my slab as part of replacing my deck.
Picked up some 3/8" tapcons to improve on the previous threaded posts that are all in a straight line because crating a bending axis is bad and dumb and the previous deck was poo poo.
The max thread diameter of these is ~0.231". Online searches say to use a 5/16 masonry bit...5/16 is ~0.313". :dafuq:
So I check my masonry bits...The 5/16" bit from a harbor freight masonry set is .165" and the 3/8" bit is .197"

What trailer park poo poo is this? What the gently caress do I actually drill this with?

EDIT:

LOL my digital calipers appear to be broken. I measured with an old-timey vernier caliper and things make more sense now.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 14, 2024

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

TerminalSaint posted:

This is probably true most of the time, but then you get times like mine the other night when I looked online and it said they had 1 in stock. Drove over and found 2 on the shelf. So either a miscount in inventory, or they only show in stock if they have more than one/two, probably for the exact scenario you said.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm mounting a ledger board to my slab as part of replacing my deck.
Picked up some 3/8" tapcons to improve on the previous threaded posts that are all in a straight line because crating a bending axis is bad and dumb and the previous deck was poo poo.
The max thread diameter of these is ~0.231". Online searches say to use a 5/16 masonry bit...5/16 is ~0.313". :dafuq:
So I check my masonry bits...The 5/16" bit from a harbor freight masonry set is .165" and the 3/8" bit is .197"

What trailer park poo poo is this? What the gently caress do I actually drill this with?

EDIT:

LOL my digital calipers appear to be broken. I measured with an old-timey vernier caliper and things make more sense now.

Proper procedure is to hold the bolt next to the bit until “I dunno, looks about right”

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Home Depot / Lowes are just probably the hardest to get accurate inventory given how much poo poo, how much loose poo poo, the warehouse style of the store, crabby rear end customers putting poo poo wherever.

I do sometimes think of their digital inventory when my son is grabbing random poo poo and throwing it behind the lumber, probably never to be seen again.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

At least that's better than when people do it at the grocery store, casually just leaving 2 pounds of deli meat on the shelf in the cereal aisle.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The aisle/bin location on HD’s website is super handy for most things and considerably cuts down my time in-store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Democratic Pirate posted:

The aisle/bin location on HD’s website is super handy for most things and considerably cuts down my time in-store.

Menards finally added this to their app and it makes me very happy.