Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

EVs seem to only be getting more and more expensive in the US so President Xi fire when ready

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

I'm arbitrarily arresting people for national security offenses

i wonder if media are being especially psycho because they china just nabbed some MI6 asset

https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/1744383961718198627?s=20

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Weka posted:

Jerry rules. A true poster. I've never heard him talk before and dang his accent is a mess.

lol you're not wrong about him being a true poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQHzbGMJCI

gunther-level photo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DiscountDildos posted:

EVs seem to only be getting more and more expensive in the US so President Xi fire when ready

as they should. cars will only be good once literally nobody can afford one

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's not like you can buy any Chinese EV here in the states. So everything is fine. The only Chinese EV you can buy are ebikes because Washington literally doesn't understand ebikes so they fly under the radar.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

corona familiar posted:

the Taco Bell in Shanghai Pudong was very good when i went

I think it was the only taco bell in East Asia at the time? the quality was definitely trying harder compared to other non-American Tacos Bell I've been to, let alone American ones

otoh both McD and BK were extremely disappointing and very expensive

Taco Bell in Japan isn’t great but there’s one at the Tokyo Dome now so you can have diarrhea while you watch a Giants game or Wrestle Kingdom

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
this is some incredible projection

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

this is some incredible projection

imo it's even sillier than that

if you think that burgerland is the greatest military power on the planet and also know they can only make 68 cruise missiles in a year the synthesis is that china's missiles have to be fake somehow

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DiscountDildos posted:

saw this video last year where the guy describes how China's EVs were going to take over the US market the way the Japanese small cars did and lolled at the end where they had to add in a screen explaining the huge tariff the US added to them last minute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r66BYnapW1M

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

crepeface posted:

lol you're not wrong about him being a true poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfQHzbGMJCI

gunther-level photo

gently caress yeah comparing himself to Mandela. Inspirational

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.taiwanplus.com/taiwan-election-2024/results

Taiwan's election is over.

Lai Ching-te of the DPP has won with 40% of the vote. Hou Yu-ih of the KMT came second with 33%. Ko Wen-je of the TPP came third with 26%.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, about or a little better than what the polls said, obviously a blue-white coalition could have won it. We will see in the next few months the slava-levels coming out of Taipei.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OhFunny posted:

https://www.taiwanplus.com/taiwan-election-2024/results

Taiwan's election is over.

Lai Ching-te of the DPP has won with 40% of the vote. Hou Yu-ih of the KMT came second with 33%. Ko Wen-je of the TPP came third with 26%.

stupid bitches at theTPP

NoModsNoMasters69
May 17, 2023
so loving pissed. basically followed the polls. if ko had manned up and accepted the vp position, he'd be in power instead of out like a fool. dpp is so insanely lucky. well, hopefully this new president isn't as psychotic as he seems, and the fact that they lost their parliamentary majority is good too. hopefully they can hamstring some of the dpp's worst impulses.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All 3 sides candidates are terrible. With Lai and Hou with zero charisma and Ko has the tiniest bit of charisma. Ko also has too much ego for the sake of his tiny party.

The Chinese podcast had a special topic yesterday with a Taiwanese guest (not on the topic of the election) but on the philosophy of unification. I was thinking of making a post but didn't feel like it.

My prediction is there is not going to be too much surprise this year, with the election result completely inline with the Beijing forecast. They will proceed with the strategy of taking away the preferential policies toward Taiwan island as planned. If you want to get the preferential benefits from mainland, you are going to have to come work in mainland.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

The Chinese podcast

Can you link to the podcast please? Or is it a podcast where they don't speak English?

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Calling Taiwan a “vibrant democracy “ is a bit trite at this point, but it really is. The enthusiasm for the process, and the seriousness with which the population takes voting, is really inspiring.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i am NOT going to be baited into checking d&d :mad:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

crepeface posted:

i am NOT going to be baited into checking d&d :mad:

can i interest you in posting about china in the yospos politics thread instead?

lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Votskomit posted:

Can you link to the podcast please? Or is it a podcast where they don't speak English?

Here is the Bilibili link but its in Chinese.

【观棋有语491:台湾选举如果要出意外就该是现在了-哔哩哔哩】 https://b23.tv/mGmzrnj

I guess you can translate the replies but probably less than half can be translated.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Beyond any other consideration, it is very dangerous to the CCP to have a clear example of a functioning democracy next door. Any argument they wish to make about democracy not being appropriate for Chinese culture falls apart.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

please stop

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Is he doing a bit?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Officer Sandvich posted:

Beyond any other consideration, it is very dangerous to the CCP to have a clear example of a functioning democracy next door. Any argument they wish to make about democracy not being appropriate for Chinese culture falls apart.

The neon lights flickered overhead, casting a dim glow on the smoky room. He sat at the worn-out bar, a solitary figure nursing a glass of bourbon. The spinning bowtie around his neck seemed like a twisted metaphor for his tangled life. As it twirled, it mirrored the spiraling chaos within him. Each rotation told a story of lost chances, betrayed trust, and the shadows that clung to him like a relentless phantom. The muted jazz in the background whispered secrets, but his bowtie spun in silence, a cryptic dance that mirrored the enigmatic noir unraveling around him.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Honky Mao posted:

The neon lights flickered overhead, casting a dim glow on the smoky room. He sat at the worn-out bar, a solitary figure nursing a glass of bourbon. The spinning bowtie around his neck seemed like a twisted metaphor for his tangled life. As it twirled, it mirrored the spiraling chaos within him. Each rotation told a story of lost chances, betrayed trust, and the shadows that clung to him like a relentless phantom. The muted jazz in the background whispered secrets, but his bowtie spun in silence, a cryptic dance that mirrored the enigmatic noir unraveling around him.

drat the new gavin newsom movie sounds awesome

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Votskomit posted:

Is he doing a bit?

very high yield ultra long range syq strikes with a stupendous hit ratio. officer sandvich is one of the best

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Officer Sandvich more like Officer Milktea

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Votskomit posted:

Is he doing a bit?

smells like syq to me

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
so what does Taiwan's third party/coalition believe in? seems oblique.

is this another 5 star movement thing?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

is this another 5 star movement thing?
lol that's probably a good comparison

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ko is just a one-man party. He is like that Japanese woman who was closely aligned with LDP and won the Tokyo mayor. And because big city voters like more cosmopolitan candidates with less party colors, they voted for the 3rd party candidates. Both of them use their population as mayor of the capital cities to build a 3rd party. But neither will expand their political careers that much after their mayor term limits are over.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

All 3 sides candidates are terrible. With Lai and Hou with zero charisma and Ko has the tiniest bit of charisma. Ko also has too much ego for the sake of his tiny party.

The Chinese podcast had a special topic yesterday with a Taiwanese guest (not on the topic of the election) but on the philosophy of unification. I was thinking of making a post but didn't feel like it.

My prediction is there is not going to be too much surprise this year, with the election result completely inline with the Beijing forecast. They will proceed with the strategy of taking away the preferential policies toward Taiwan island as planned. If you want to get the preferential benefits from mainland, you are going to have to come work in mainland.

What kind of preferential policies would they take away?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cpt_Obvious posted:

What kind of preferential policies would they take away?

Basically the one-sided free trade deal mainland gave it to Taiwanese farm products signed with the last KMT president. Taiwan never opened their agriculture market to mainland. ECFA is not a real FTA, so Beijing could have cancelled it anytime during the 8 year window but they waited almost 8 years to cancel it. Interestingly a couple months before the election not after the 24 election.

https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202401/13/WS65a1db75a3105f21a507c122.html

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

can i interest you in posting about china in the yospos politics thread instead?

lol

why does yospos have a china politics thread

do we really need a third (fourth?) racist china thread

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

crepeface posted:

use the budget or it’ll get cut

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

crepeface posted:

its not about china. its a containment zone for all politics stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mandel Brotset posted:

use the budget or it’ll get cut

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the burgermaster has already weighed in
Remarks by President Biden Before Marine One Departure | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 posted:

South Lawn

Q    Mr. President, do you have a reaction to the Taiwan election?

THE PRESIDENT:  We do not support independence.  (Inaudible.)

END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

fart simpson posted:

lol

gross lol