Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

lol i weirdly like lorraine she loves her family but has trouble trusting people. she has this like, sensitive side for women who are victims of abuse and she loves her family, even if she's like kinda cold and heartless sometimes lol. shes like this person drunk on the conservative koolaid but this humanity peeks through randomly. tillman makes her look like a saint

e: ya so far im thinking my fave fargo seasons are 2 > 1 > 5 ≥ 3 and i havent seen 4 yet

veepfake fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

DaveKap posted:

Sorry I should have been more explicit: I was trying to point out that the only time the line was crossed into annoying was in a place that doesn't matter at all.

But thinking on it again, when you consider how often shows now hide easter egg jokes in scenes that need pausing to really look at them, it is sorta disappointing to pause in excitement to see the funny jokes, and see a stale joke instead.

I don't think it's a joke. I think someone calling themselves The Donald and posting edited trump quotes exactly fits that chat room.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I find all the focus on old vs new conservatism and politics and trump really weird because prior to last episode the show was mostly about a woman running from a past life, the reinvention of the self, and justice.

Obviously the dueling conservatism thing was a theme, but I don’t think it’s fair to present it like it’s the prevailing theme of the show just because of the last episode.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

a new study bible! posted:

I find all the focus on old vs new conservatism and politics and trump really weird because prior to last episode the show was mostly about a woman running from a past life, the reinvention of the self, and justice.

Obviously the dueling conservatism thing was a theme, but I don’t think it’s fair to present it like it’s the prevailing theme of the show just because of the last episode.
The second episode began the presenting of the theme via showing us who Roy Tillman was and what he's about after the first episode showed us who Lorraine was and what she's about. The fifth episode cemented the presenting of the theme via having Lorraine and Roy butt heads. Nothing about the last episode changed any of this.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

DaveKap posted:

The second episode began the presenting of the theme via showing us who Roy Tillman was and what he's about after the first episode showed us who Lorraine was and what she's about. The fifth episode cemented the presenting of the theme via having Lorraine and Roy butt heads. Nothing about the last episode changed any of this.

Agreed. They're the two factions of conservatives that are clashing in Congress as we speak. One holds its collective nose and tolerates Trump because it facilitates making them rich and powerful, one celebrates him because he paints them as the true patriots and saviors of America they see themselves as.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm not really sure what it's "beating the viewer over the head" about or honestly how it is doing said beating. I assume "it" here is that "there exists a reactionary/insurrectionist movement today in the United States that is intertwined with the notion of Law & Order and A Bygone Better America and militant separatists and Evangelical movements and Donald Trump" and I can't tell if the issue is "telling a story about that" or "telling a story about that while explicitly mentioning Donald Trump or Ammon Bundy or Lavoy Finicum" or, and I do sympathize with this even if I don't think it's productive and there are probably lots of other shows to watch, "we are living through this and it's awful and I want entertainment that does not remind me of this".

Yeah lol, the entire season is explicitly political and depicting a situation that exists because of modern America's political state. The "nightmare sheriff who is a feudal lord" is not a naturally occuring phenomenon, it's something this hosed up country enables. Watching all this and then being annoyed that they "made it political" with a throwaway Trump joke is missing the forest for the trees.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Also a shame because the season rocks aside from any political commentary. Just been a fun ride in general, Fargo's back, baby.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Tender Bender posted:

The "nightmare sheriff who is a feudal lord" is not a naturally occuring phenomenon, it's something this hosed up country enables.

OK Varga, then where are they? The closest thing we've had is Joe Arpaio and he became sheriff when Clinton was president.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 13, 2024

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Also a shame because the season rocks aside from any political commentary. Just been a fun ride in general, Fargo's back, baby.

Nah, making fun of absurd people is funny and good imo.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

ChesterJT posted:

OK Varga, then where are they? The closest thing we've had is Joe Arpaio and he became sheriff when Clinton was president.

It's a whole bummer of a thing, although I assume a lot of the signers aren't really ride or die on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Sheriffs_and_Peace_Officers_Association

And also corrupt sheriff who's just straight up running drugs and occasionally murdering random people/whistleblower deputies is a thing that shows up more than you'd think in true crime stuff.

Like I said earlier, I don't really think they've gone too hard on the Trump stuff. Roy's part of a larger, long running thing and I think even in the show Roy was a sheriff pre-Trump given how established he is. If anything the point is that it's more of an American problem of people being insistent on their own version of reality and being "independent" and romanticizing fixing their own problems even when it's ridiculous. Hoping they aren't going to drop those themes for a simple ending, but we'll see.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

...? I wrote it's good independent from the commentary. I like said commentary, but even if you didn't like it, it's been a good story. But cool snipe man.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Fargo is almost like a Greek play in many ways, including commentary on contemporary political events and persons

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

Yes that American sheriff who came up under an American presidency is an example of how hosed up America is. Yea it's exaggerated in the show but this kind of power abusing constitutional conservative isn't something the show made up and it's not unique to the Trump era.

https://twitter.com/RealSheriffJoe/status/1727091355636371667?t=k9jd58Jv2rktf8dZOhZ8PQ&s=19

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's a whole bummer of a thing, although I assume a lot of the signers aren't really ride or die on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Sheriffs_and_Peace_Officers_Association

And also corrupt sheriff who's just straight up running drugs and occasionally murdering random people/whistleblower deputies is a thing that shows up more than you'd think in true crime stuff.

Like I said earlier, I don't really think they've gone too hard on the Trump stuff. Roy's part of a larger, long running thing and I think even in the show Roy was a sheriff pre-Trump given how established he is. If anything the point is that it's more of an American problem of people being insistent on their own version of reality and being "independent" and romanticizing fixing their own problems even when it's ridiculous. Hoping they aren't going to drop those themes for a simple ending, but we'll see.

Yeah exactly. This show isn't exactly subtle about its themes, it's wild to watch this season and think it's not making any point about America, law enforcement, societal power structures, radical right wing violence, etc, and then when they reference Trump say "hey now, why bring politics into this?"

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 13, 2024

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I want pancakes

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

GolfHole posted:

I want pancakes

Only after you hallucinate your dead mother figure.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I know Joe Arpaio is supposed to be the inspiration for Roy but let's not forget that there was an Oregon militia in 2016 who tried, and gloriously failed, to fight the federal government. I think if Fargo had more episodes or decided to begin the standoff earlier in the season, we easily could've had a scene where Roy accepts a shipment of 55 gallons of lube... to go along with a huge box of dildos.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Roy namechecked a few.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

uber_stoat posted:

Roy namechecked a few.
I should've known! I left the names of those dorks out of my brain space, so I didn't pick up on it but that totally checks out.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

uber_stoat posted:

Roy namechecked a few.

RIP to the brave tarpman

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Having never seen Fargo, I caught part of the puppet episode and realized I should be watching this show, so I went back and watched all of season 5. The contrast between Munch vs Tillman is fantastic. Great show.

Are there any specific other seasons that are standouts?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Seasons 1 and 2 are widely considered the best, with 3 being solid as well. Season 4 isn’t bad but definitely uneven, hampered primarily by a woefully miscast lead character played by Chris Rock.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Every TV show gets one "Covid season" that they get to put a little asterisk next to because production was weird and season 4 was Fargo's, but it's still totally worth a watch. Doctor Senator is delightful and Timothy Olyphant is a real crowd pleaser as Raylan Givens, But Mormon.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

UltraShame posted:

Season 2 in my opinion is *as good as tv gets*. Super large cast, but it never feels it. Everyone brings it, gets a moment to shine, and everything just clicks. Season One is fantastic, but does play it very close to a lot of the beats from Fargo the movie. Season two is the show finding it's feet and telling an incredible tale where every single character is well realized and a joy to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6faxML57Do

By all means start with season one first, it's great, but the second one is perfect. It's an anthology, so you really can skip around w/o missing out on much outside of a few easter eggs.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 14, 2024

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Next episode we better get to see that tank that Roy apparently has

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

ya 2's great, watch 1 too. 2 is a complicated plot, 3 and 5 are a lot more on the nose, kinda disappointing compared to the first couple seasons but the characters and ideas are still good

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

You have to watch every season so you can have imaginary conversations in your head with all the villains.

"Is this what you want?"

"I want pancakes. That's the message."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

"What you are giving me are words. We are here for pancakes. Understand?"

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Maybe it's too easy, or stale, of a joke but I'm surprised nobody did a 10,000 degree knife vs Gator meme edit.

Real quick: When the standoff is occurring and the FBI guy says "You're gonna show me two faces, Danish Graves" and Roy responds "Is that a man or a serious breakfast?" Is this the exact same joke he made earlier in the season? Because if so, that just continues his amazing track record of thinking he's witty to the point that he'll repeat the thing he thought was so witty to a new audience.

UltraShame posted:

Having never seen Fargo, I caught part of the puppet episode and realized I should be watching this show, so I went back and watched all of season 5. The contrast between Munch vs Tillman is fantastic. Great show.

Basically just go from start to end. Season 1 is great, Season 2 is perfection, Season 3 apparently people are turning around on now so I'm gonna say it's probably better than I recall if you binge it, and Season 4 is like "well there's nothing left so may as well watch this" and enjoy all the things about it that aren't the overall plot.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 14, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Speaking as someone who recently binged the entire series for the first time - Seasons 1 and 2 are great all the way through, Season 3 is fine though clearly a step down from the previous two seasons, and Season 4 left me thinking "well, what was the point of any of that?".

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i would boost that you should just watch it all in order. even at its worst its better than most crap.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Season 3 is my personal favorite. All the actors in that season killed it

I think my current opinion is 3 > 2 > 5 > 1. I skipped season 4. Depending on how they end this season I might like it more than 2. And even with season 1 being my least favourite, it is still better than 95% of tv series

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I feel like the archetype of Fargo is “rube stumbles into criminal underworld” and that is massively absent from season 4. It is ostensibly more present in season 5, but I like the characters enough to not mind either way.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
season 4 is still very entertaining and well worth watching. as many others have said, worst fargo is better than most crap on tv

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Thing that endears me to season three is just how much Nikki just truly LOVES Ray.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Thing that endears me to season three is just how much Nikki just truly LOVES Ray.

Your going to have to leave the cat.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

Ray is the cat.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Still attest that S3's big sin is following S2 which is among the best 10-episode runs of any show.

Lot of big fun ideas. Thinking back it's kind of wild how much they crammed in that season between the Ewan McGregor brothers, the poker lovers, Varga, the bowling alley where you meet god, and still had time to do a fun vacation episode about a robot that just wants to help that's so wonderfully relatable.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Don't forget MEW's rockin bare rear end

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

As others have said and doesn't really need to be reiterated: Every season of Fargo is the best TV. We're comparing like 9.9/10 to 9.2/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

I'm a huge fan of Fargo, movie and series, and while I don't have the confidence to partake in The Discourse I just wanted to fly in to say your post loving rules, is a fantastic take and spells out a bunch of my interpretations and feelings in a way I don't think I could. Thank you!