Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

girl dick energy posted:

Nobody know what you're talking about, dude.

Incredible that goons are such contrarians that you can look at something that is absolutely blatant with how derivative it is, and when someone comments on it you try to put them on the defense. I know neither one of you is so dense that you actually don't know what I am talking about so why should I give you a serious answer? The games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying some galaxy brain poo poo that is totally out of left field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

it truly is the year of rpgs from japan

Been saying this

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the GOTY room!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Incredible that goons are such contrarians that you can look at something that is absolutely blatant with how derivative it is, and when someone comments on it you try to put them on the defense. I know neither one of you is so dense that you actually don't know what I am talking about so why should I give you a serious answer? The games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying something totally out of left field.

"Why is Stardew Valley so popular? It's just plagiarising Harvest Moon!"

Just enjoy video games my guy

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

veni veni veni posted:

tThe games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying something totally out of left field.

ok

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Hopefully 2024 has different gimmick. How about year of the punchsportgames?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Issaries posted:

Actually it's the Year of the RPG from Japan again sorry I don't make the rules

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
With Hades II's early access and Balatro, feels like it's gonna be another Year of the Roguelike to me.

(also playing Astral Ascent, but that probably isn't gonna win any hit awards)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Issaries posted:

sorry, with suikoden 2 remake, eiyuden chronicles, and a new saga game all on the near horizon, 2024 will also be year of the jrpg

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

An Actual Princess posted:

sorry, with suikoden 2 remake, eiyuden chronicles, and a new saga game all on the near horizon, 2024 will also be year of the jrpg

Also FF7 rebirth and LAD infinite wealth

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

fridge corn posted:

Actually it's the Year of the RPG from Japan again sorry I don't make the rules

We have final fantasy 7 rebirth, it's a jrpg year by default

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

forgetting entirely about FF7Rebirth lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Also FF7 rebirth and LAD infinite wealth

those too he’ll yeah

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
2024 will be the year of plagiarism (because all video games are plagiarising tennis for two)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

aquaticrabbit posted:

This game is completely over the top in the best ways possible, and I was hooked from the moment I finished the demo.

Super Inactive posted:

Has the best action battle system in an RPG yet.

Boy of Joy posted:

just blown away by the spectacle, combat, characters and music, so much so that after finishing it the first time I immediately replayed it in NG+ on Final Fantasy mode (aka Hard mode).

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The boss battles feel like the biggest things of all time, they completely command your attention for huge chunks of time and they forever change the landscape of the game's story when through. They are some of the most stunning videogame spectacle moments in recent memory, earning every orchestral crescendo and melodramatic flourish, transforming the build-up of narrative melodrama into propulsive action mechanics and regular old oh poo poo moments.

broken pixel posted:

Oh man. I bought a PS5 for this game and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, like a lunatic. I don’t regret it.

Ibblebibble posted:

The hype grew and grew with every trailer and playthrough and hell, I got a PS5 just for it. And then the game came out and was my hype worth it?

Yeah I’d say like pretty much 90% of my hype was warranted.

Help Im Alive posted:

Also after XV's attempt at a more action based battle system I was surprised the combat here is actually genuinely good (there's not much to it at first but it's really satisfying once you've got a couple eikons to work with) Clive would also rank p high on my list of FF protagonists but no one has made a thread for that :(

06. Final Fantasy XVI (SquareEnix) (2023)
298 points. Voted for 52 times. Appeared #1 three times. Average of 5.7

A new mainline Final Fantasy! And a protagonist named Clive! I am immensely looking forward to playing this game. It is going to be magnificent when I finally finish almost every other Final Fantasy.

Now, the final five. How are they ordered? How many points did they acrue? Are they were you hoped they were?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

morallyobjected posted:

forgetting entirely about FF7Rebirth lol

I haven’t finished the first one yet

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Jossar posted:

With Hades II's early access and Balatro, feels like it's gonna be another Year of the Roguelike to me.

(also playing Astral Ascent, but that probably isn't gonna win any hit awards)

I won't even mind if Hades 2 EA doesn't show up in Q1 with all the other games coming out.

I have AA wishlisted, what do you think of it so far?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

veni veni veni posted:

The games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying some galaxy brain poo poo that is totally out of left field.

I dunno, maybe let people like the games they like? Or maybe try a more positive comment like "I am glad so many people like Lies of P with its gameplay grounded on the rich foundations of Bloodborne" or something. This a GOTY thread afterall.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Chris Finch. Bloody good rep

sorry FF fans but I’m so happy that didn’t crack the top 5 lol

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Well done Square Enix for placing just outside the top 5

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

2024 will be the year of plagiarism (because all video games are plagiarising tennis for two)
And Tennis for Two is just plagarizing actual tennis. This whole medium is a sham with zero original ideas.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hell yeah Clive time

fridge corn posted:

Well done Square Enix for placing just outside the top 5

Well Octopath 2 is also a Squenix joint...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Chris Finch. Bloody good rep

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

clive a clive

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ibblebibble posted:

Well Octopath 2 is also a Squenix joint...

;)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Alan Wake 2 still has the best vote average so far (7.7)

Lot of people played FFXVI and placed it middle portion of their list.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Incredible that goons are such contrarians that you can look at something that is absolutely blatant with how derivative it is, and when someone comments on it you try to put them on the defense. I know neither one of you is so dense that you actually don't know what I am talking about so why should I give you a serious answer? The games entire identity is being a giant Bloodborne ripoff so don't sit and pretend like I am saying some galaxy brain poo poo that is totally out of left field.

A sir this is a McDonald’s post if ever there was one.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

FireWorksWell posted:

I won't even mind if Hades 2 EA doesn't show up in Q1 with all the other games coming out.

I have AA wishlisted, what do you think of it so far?

I really like it so far, but I definitely keep getting stonewalled by the end of Zone 2's bosses and I'm not sure if that's me being bad at videogames or not having unlocked enough metaprogression yet (somebody in the Roguelike thread made it all the way to the end of the first difficulty level on their 5th attempt). Definitely encourages you to run through zones as quickly as possible although there is a slight side benefit (earlier leveling of your overall character in time for Zone 2) if you stop and smell the roses/punch mobs just a bit more than the natural flow of the game otherwise encourages.

The bosses are pretty fun and mostly what you're here for with 3 on a rotation per zone. It's not quite Hades-level in its other aspects, but it does come decently close and I'm finding a lot happens in between each run so far, still.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

veni veni veni posted:

Go cry about the games you hate somewhere else please.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I knew it was a long shot but I was hoping for a top 3 finish for SF6.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Time to call shots:

5. Octopath II
4. Phantom Liberty
3. Armored Core VI
2. Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm surprised FF16 made it this high given that I have seen 0 discussion about it and know even less about it. Been a while since an FF failed to penetrate my gaming circles.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty good for a ps5 exclusive too

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Time to call shots:

5. Octopath II
4. Phantom Liberty
3. Armored Core VI
2. Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

I would swap 4 and 3 otherwise yeah I reckon this is right

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hype, hype, hype

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arist posted:

Time to call shots:

5. Octopath II
4. Phantom Liberty
3. Armored Core VI
2. Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

I think you're almost right, except I'd swap AC6 and TotK.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FireWorksWell posted:

I made it to the city when I tried Throne's story in the demo before stopping and pre-ordering; the combat, cutscenes, vibes from hearing the night BGM of New Delsta and the visuals combined were all I needed. It's been nine months since I played it and I still think about this game.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Even outside of combat you have a ton of ways to interact with the world and the NPCs that live in it. Every part of the world is rich with flavor and lore. The world truly feels full & alive & lived in. Exploring is an incredible treat.

An absolute masterpiece. This year was actually the easiest decision ever for #1 spot for me.

fridge corn posted:

This is a game that has it all – a complete package. Everything this game had to offer was on point. The visuals, the gameplay, the narrative, the music (especially the music) was spot on. 10 out of 10s across the board.

The Black Stones posted:

What every sequel to a game should strive to be.

Natural 20 posted:

The best turn based rpg that has been released in the past twenty years.

Bad News Panda posted:

This game is singlehandedly the reason I'm so late posting my top 10 because I've been playing it obsessively over the last two weeks and just barely got it finished in time to put it on my list.

05. Octopath Traveller 2 (SquareEnix) (2023)
329 points. Voted for 47 times. Appeared #1 six times. Average of 7

So many of you wanted this in the top five and you got your wish. Here it is quite comfortably. Ocotpath Traveller II is a game I have heard being lauded in so many other threads and this placement feels so well earned by it. It has been a great year for RPGs from Japan.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

4 RPGs in the Top 5 (Depending on how loose your interpretation of RPG is :v:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Jossar posted:

I really like it so far, but I definitely keep getting stonewalled by the end of Zone 2's bosses and I'm not sure if that's me being bad at videogames or not having unlocked enough metaprogression yet (somebody in the Roguelike thread made it all the way to the end of the first difficulty level on their 5th attempt). Definitely encourages you to run through zones as quickly as possible although there is a slight side benefit (earlier leveling of your overall character in time for Zone 2) if you stop and smell the roses/punch mobs just a bit more than the natural flow of the game otherwise encourages.

The bosses are pretty fun and mostly what you're here for with 3 on a rotation per zone. It's not quite Hades-level in its other aspects, but it does come decently close and I'm finding a lot happens in between each run so far, still.

It sounds promising, thanks! I'm still gonna wait for a sale, I think I need a break from Hades-likes after 100%ing Warm Snow (which was a drat blast to play through especially when I had everything unlocked).

E: Hell yeah OT2!!