Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Medullah posted:

Are you sure you started a NG+ and not a standard new game?

I just double checked and that profile doesn't say 2 playthroughs. I erased the completed save like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

CJacobs posted:

I think I killed maybe a dozen zombies in RE2make, those things just will not stay down. No matter how much you chunk them. It rules. Every time you think they're done, nope, they crawl in for one more bite. Some dude lying stone still in a hallway from an hour ago is still hungry.

Same. It was fun deciding which zombies to decapitate with the magnum to make getting around easier ("Ok, I'm tired of this guy. Time to die. For the last time! Bro.).

If I ever get around to actually playing REmake for real, I hope to have the same fun deciding who to use lighter fluid on.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shotgun headshots are your best friend in REmake. That said the knife is actually incredibly powerful in RE2R. Pop the zombie in the knees and go wild on them, it does damage tied to the frame rate so you can absolutely wreck zombies and bosses very quickly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Resident Evil Degeneration was honestly not nearly as bad as I thought it would be from the general opinion I find the CGI movies to be held in. Leon's love interest was pointless and Claire needed more to do, and the whole G Creature was unnecessary, but the entire intro in the Airport was pretty good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nothing makes me feel dumber than poo poo like the hexagon puzzle, or similar ones. The tile moving ones always get me. Can someone explain them to me?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My usual solving process is:
1) immediately give up
2) look up solution online

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Nothing makes me feel dumber than poo poo like the hexagon puzzle, or similar ones. The tile moving ones always get me. Can someone explain them to me?

They had to put something in to stop the action dead in its tracks make me feel stupid like the sliding block puzzle in the first one sorry that's the law

Beware when looking up online there's a Normal/Assisted version of the puzzle and a Hardcore/Professional version for some reason!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Also the hex puzzle saves the previous moves so if you return to it, it's as you left it. This was especially annoying as the guides had a two move solution from the default setting that was essentially useless after my dumb rear end started messing with it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Also the hex puzzle saves the previous moves so if you return to it, it's as you left it. This was especially annoying as the guides had a two move solution from the default setting that was essentially useless after my dumb rear end started messing with it.

Yupppppp I just could not grasp it my first run through and decided to look up a guide after messing with it for 5 minutes and WELP that guide was useless.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever taken an organized approach to em I just shuffle crap around like a dumbass until I can see the path to getting it solved in a few moves

Assume there's some established method to programmatically solve the things like a Rubiks cube since they're so common but I usually hate puzzles soooooo gently caress that

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Made it to the castle, got to the second phase of The Room before getting killed by a swarm of headwhips that wouldn't let me toss a flash and realizing my last save was on the drawbridge entering :negative:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

regarding the modding "scandal", this is a good read. Detailed explanation from FluffyQuack (the mod manager guy, probably knows more about RE engine modding than literally anyone) tldr lots of clickbait poo poo going around and you probably don't need to worry about anything

https://www.patreon.com/posts/addressing-re-li-96385577

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, that's good to hear. Yeah, I'd think they would know what they're talking about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sheena island being given the same weight as the mansion incident and Raccoon City in the Zero intro is wild.
This game looks beautiful though and the train aesthetic fits the classic RE atmosphere perfectly. Rebecca is a terrible cop though.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Sheena island being given the same weight as the mansion incident and Raccoon City in the Zero intro is wild.
This game looks beautiful though and the train aesthetic fits the classic RE atmosphere perfectly. Rebecca is a terrible cop though.

Don’t worry it quickly changes settings to…uh, another secret umbrella mansion in the forest.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I loving hate myself. I keep thinking old school and the save limitations on rankings. Got to the hedge maze, made it all the way to the completion of the 3 headed beast, went back to sell poo poo but DIDN'T loving SAVE thinking "well this is chapter end or there's a save point prior to the Ashley section" but nope. Remember the time to set on the clock so I avoided the whole left room and went down the stairs, made the elevator, get diced by the armor in the next room. That may be the end of this playthrough.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Gaius Marius posted:

Noah Gervais' video on Resident Evil covers Survivor and Gervais says something like "SOME HAVE CALLED IT A SECOND RACCOON CITY. Who? Who has called it that?"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Survivor remake when?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Crowetron posted:

Survivor remake when?

Did one of the Wii light gun shooters not do it?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There’s a fan project trying to turn Survivor into a third person style RE game like RE2 and 3 called Survivor Redux. Who knows when it’ll be completed though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

man nurse posted:

Don’t worry it quickly changes settings to…uh, another secret umbrella mansion in the forest.

While not original, I like the Training Facility. It certainly is better than the next two locations.

Also RE0's save theme will always be my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xA1_wy6SBc

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

There’s a fan project trying to turn Survivor into a third person style RE game like RE2 and 3 called Survivor Redux. Who knows when it’ll be completed though.

Is this the one that is a RE2 mod or something else?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Which one of these fan modders is working on a Dino Crisis remake because I've been waiting.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Basticle posted:

Is this the one that is a RE2 mod or something else?

Yeah I think it uses some of the code of RE2 as a base but the assets are either from Survivor or had to be made from scratch because they were never designed to be viewed from a third person view. I think it might be adding new content too? Not sure.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finished up the Training Facility. Game has some serious issues, but I'm not having the issues I usually see brought up. The Inventory hasn't bothered me yet except that I think it's goofy looking to have a bunch of shiny poo poo littering the ground. I didn't ever leave anything just in random places though, I trucked everything back to the main save point in the hall so I could always be sure where all my poo poo was at.

The bigger problem I have is that Rebecca is made of tissue paper and she's been in orange caution for most of the game, for a game that is supposed to be about team work or whatever I'm basically loading Billy up with all my weapons and having him scout out and eliminate anything deadly and then having Rebecca be a puzzle pack mule and herb mixing machine. Having Billy unable to mix is also a very strange choice.

I did like the Training Facilty as a sort of redux version of the mansion despite how goofy it is in lore terms, although really so is having a redone mansion at the bottom of Antarctica. Why the gently caress did the Ashfords want a copy of the Spencer mansion anyways? The puzzles and routing seem weaker than the PS1 generation, with few exceptions there is a flow in those games where you end up going in these nice satisfying loops around the environment, 0 feels more like heading out onto a spoke of a wheel before drawing back to the center, there's no connection between the areas. I also had some trouble getting the tablet on the pillar. I kept trying to use the hookshot from the ground, then tried heading up to the balcony to rope it in because it says you can't see anything from the ground. I thought the elevator was just a different puzzle or something.

Combat wise the game is rear end. The leech men take way way too much to kill, even using fire weapons they're a massive resource sink. And then the Monkey's use the rest of your ammo with how quick and hard to hit they are. Just terrible. CV had a lot of enemies and a lot of problems with how it respawned some, but it also gave you a gently caress ton of ammo. 0 has me constantly scrapping the barrel for all my useful weapons, it does give you enough handgun ammo which is all but useless for dealing with anything except zombies and the bugs. The bosses are total non entities so far.

Story wise I can't say I love it. The deep lore of Umbrella's founding is not that interesting, and Marcus himself is nowhere near as fun or compelling as Alfred or Alexia. The game is also a product of the desire to start tying everything together and building up Wesker as a big bad so you get a bunch of boring cutscenes and semi retcons of Wesker and Birkin working together and trying to tie it all up with Marcus being killed. At best it's all insignificant at worst it's actively detrimental to the plots of the previous games that 0 draws in. More than that though, the way the plot is told is bizarre. You'll be doing puzzles and fighting for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden you get four Lore cutscenes with people who are totally unconnected to what's happening to Rebecca and Billy. It makes everything feel unfocused, like they bolted a story light spinoff game and a CGI movie explaining the background together. It also kills the character of Rebecca and Billy, despite being together the whole game they've said less to each other than Barry and Jill in RE1. For most of the playtime I have they might as well have been silent protagonists.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gaius Marius posted:

She's a medic, so it makes sense.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Can't wait for them to release a trailer three months before they're done and get told to shut the whole thing down by Capcom.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Finished up the Training Facility. Game has some serious issues, but I'm not having the issues I usually see brought up. The Inventory hasn't bothered me yet except that I think it's goofy looking to have a bunch of shiny poo poo littering the ground. I didn't ever leave anything just in random places though, I trucked everything back to the main save point in the hall so I could always be sure where all my poo poo was at.

The bigger problem I have is that Rebecca is made of tissue paper and she's been in orange caution for most of the game, for a game that is supposed to be about team work or whatever I'm basically loading Billy up with all my weapons and having him scout out and eliminate anything deadly and then having Rebecca be a puzzle pack mule and herb mixing machine. Having Billy unable to mix is also a very strange choice.

I did like the Training Facilty as a sort of redux version of the mansion despite how goofy it is in lore terms, although really so is having a redone mansion at the bottom of Antarctica. Why the gently caress did the Ashfords want a copy of the Spencer mansion anyways? The puzzles and routing seem weaker than the PS1 generation, with few exceptions there is a flow in those games where you end up going in these nice satisfying loops around the environment, 0 feels more like heading out onto a spoke of a wheel before drawing back to the center, there's no connection between the areas. I also had some trouble getting the tablet on the pillar. I kept trying to use the hookshot from the ground, then tried heading up to the balcony to rope it in because it says you can't see anything from the ground. I thought the elevator was just a different puzzle or something.

Combat wise the game is rear end. The leech men take way way too much to kill, even using fire weapons they're a massive resource sink. And then the Monkey's use the rest of your ammo with how quick and hard to hit they are. Just terrible. CV had a lot of enemies and a lot of problems with how it respawned some, but it also gave you a gently caress ton of ammo. 0 has me constantly scrapping the barrel for all my useful weapons, it does give you enough handgun ammo which is all but useless for dealing with anything except zombies and the bugs. The bosses are total non entities so far.

Story wise I can't say I love it. The deep lore of Umbrella's founding is not that interesting, and Marcus himself is nowhere near as fun or compelling as Alfred or Alexia. The game is also a product of the desire to start tying everything together and building up Wesker as a big bad so you get a bunch of boring cutscenes and semi retcons of Wesker and Birkin working together and trying to tie it all up with Marcus being killed. At best it's all insignificant at worst it's actively detrimental to the plots of the previous games that 0 draws in. More than that though, the way the plot is told is bizarre. You'll be doing puzzles and fighting for 30 minutes and then all of a sudden you get four Lore cutscenes with people who are totally unconnected to what's happening to Rebecca and Billy. It makes everything feel unfocused, like they bolted a story light spinoff game and a CGI movie explaining the background together. It also kills the character of Rebecca and Billy, despite being together the whole game they've said less to each other than Barry and Jill in RE1. For most of the playtime I have they might as well have been silent protagonists.

Agree in how oddly told the story is as well as how lovely the bosses are. Billy the combat veteran being better at...combat than a medic on her first assignment makes sense, though.

As for ammo issues, this is just Zero trying to go back to that whole "survival horror" thing. None of the games really cared about it after 1 - unless you count the remake of 1 - but the Leech Men are a prime example. The first one, the one on the train? You just turn around and go down the stairs. The second one in the Training Facility bathroom? You never have to go in there again so just grab the items and haul rear end and let it chill forever. As far as I recall, it takes two or three Molotovs to kill them and if you want to deal with the ones in the hallways later on, I think you should have plenty by then.

I used to hang with the type of RE fan who insisted RE4 ruined the franchise by making it too Action. I profoundly disagreed for a lot of reasons but one of them is how you are drowning in items and ammo after RE1. 2 is a pathetically easy game and 3 frickin' has a crafting ammo mechanic The games loved them some Action well before 4, they just sucked at it because Classic RE isn't meant to be go in guns blazing. It's just not designed for it.

You mention Jill and Barry talking a lot in 1 in contrast to Billy and Rebecca in Zero. I feel like, just based on anecdotes, most everyone prefers the Jill route in RE1. I bring this up because Chris' route is similarly lacking in story or dialogue just like Zero with Billy and Becky. Because nobody is showing up to help Chris all the time like Jill gets with Barry, you're just gonna spend 95% of the game going hither and thither with no interactions. Of course, Billy and Rebecca are always together so maybe that's less excusable. I just feel like Zero wanted to be more like RE1 in a lot of ways.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 15, 2024

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Stayed up too late plaything RER1 doing half baked ideas on where to go next.

Woke up and went to work thinking my name is Ian and did all his chores.

No more melatonin for me

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm only vaugly joking.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Itchy

Tasty

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Finally beat Zero. That Water Treatment plant sure is a hell of a final dungeon, not so much difficult but the whole thing had got me so turned around with the identical looking rooms and the poor way the map is laid out. I missed the Blue Chemical container for the battery and had to do two laps around the whole thing before I found it tucked into the corner of a room I had just left. The Lab wasn't that bad even if it's gimmick was a little goofy with the dumbwaiters. Having to go back and haul the Grapple Hook all the way to the observatory sucked balls though, and then I dropped it figuring I wouldn't need it underground only to immediately have to go get it again. Hate that loving thing.

There's a part when Billy and Rebecca meet the big bad and Billy yells out "Who's that?" and then ten minutes later on the lift the self destruct sequence activates and Rebecca asks "who activated the self destruct?"
Really the whole plot in a nutshell, Billy and Rebecca just trying to leave while everything that the game has as a plot happens in the background, it would be like if RE2 was made but the main characters were John and Dario.

The scene with Marcus getting assassinated was actually pretty cool. But the plot they built around it with Marcus getting his revenge after being mimicked by the Leeches is silly. It's been ten years and now you are striking back? I would have much rather spent time watching a movie of young Birkin and Wesker under Marcus's tutelage before they betray him and steal his virus then having this mess of a plot constructed around the vague references to what happened before the mansion incident? And to be honest I actually prefer when Umbrella is a nameless faceless corporation that destroys peoples lives incidentally. Look at 2, there an entire city gets wiped out because a corporation refused to promote their lead researcher. Birkin's pride, government desire for military innovation, corporate profit, local corruption and a complete disregard for regular civilians lives all clashing against each other leads to the greatest disaster in US history. No secret 5th dimensional chess, no ancient families trying to regain their position, no maniacal desire for global control or genetic supermen just every actor and institution involved fumbling the ball over and over. It's also why I like how Umbrella is destroyed in the 4 opening, no crazy firefights or battles just shareholders yanking their money out of a sinking ship.

It's a good game to compare to CV since they both deal with the other thirds of Umbrella's founding and both feel a bit unnecessary with the sequels ignoring much of what they did. CV easily wins in terms of villains, Alexia Wesker and Alfred are all entertaining in their own way whereas Marcus is an almost non entity and when he does exist he isn't very fun. 0 is much more fun to explore, the backgrounds and areas look much better and are more interesting, the Water Treatment areas sucks but it sucks as much not more so than most of CV's areas. MC wise it's a tie. Claire and Steve's relationship and the focus on it is awful and Chris and Wesker being anime rivals is not very strong either, but Rebecca and Billy honestly just don't have much character at all. All in all I think 0 is the better game but CV does have better highs. I'll likely not play either again for a decade.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Billy is a strange one because he seemingly has no connection to anything. He was in the Army, and they went to Africa and his CO ordered him to a kill a bunch of people and that's it.

But then...

quote:

(Billy notices something to the side.)
Rebecca: "Hmm?"
(Over in the corner of the ditch is a pile of human skeletons.)
Rebecca: "What could have done this?
Billy: "They must have been used as test subjects in Marcus' research. He must have kept messing around with the Mother Virus!"
(Billy flashes back to a time long past, images of decomposing bodies. As he recalls this memory he breaks out into a cold sweat.)
Rebecca: (concerned) "Billy?"

That flash, and Billy mentioning the Mother Virus, both seem to indicate Billy does in fact know more than we've been led to believe for the entire game. But then nothing more is made of it after this scene. Maybe somebody was hedging their bets on justifying Billy coming back later or something? If so, I'm sure any possibility for that is long dead.

I was gonna say "just like we'll neve see Rebecca again" because her thing was being the young one and in RE time she's gotta be ancient by now. But apparently the wiki says she was just in a CG movie. Was Death Island any good?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Billy is a strange one because he seemingly has no connection to anything. He was in the Army, and they went to Africa and his CO ordered him to a kill a bunch of people and that's it.

But then...

That flash, and Billy mentioning the Mother Virus, both seem to indicate Billy does in fact know more than we've been led to believe for the entire game. But then nothing more is made of it after this scene. Maybe somebody was hedging their bets on justifying Billy coming back later or something? If so, I'm sure any possibility for that is long dead.

I was gonna say "just like we'll neve see Rebecca again" because her thing was being the young one and in RE time she's gotta be ancient by now. But apparently the wiki says she was just in a CG movie. Was Death Island any good?

It's doubly weird because if they'd had the 5 plot hashed out they could have easily had Billy be a part of the earlier work in Africa on the first virus. Maybe if they remake 5 and 0 they could do that, but they seem more intent on cleaning up the continuity then on making any further connections.

I've only ever seen Degeneration but I know she's in Death Island and Vendetta, I think she's actually kind of important in the greater lore because she ends up being a researcher who's responsible for curing a lot of the viruses post Umbrella breakup.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I enjoyed RE0 but can't remember if it offered much in the way of replayability options or incentives. I'd like to come back to it someday because even within the RE1remake type trappings it felt like it did a lot of unique interesting stuff that made it feel distinct from that remake.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I unlocked something called Leech Hunter and Wesker Mode. No idea what either of them are.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I unlocked something called Leech Hunter and Wesker Mode. No idea what either of them are.

The latter at least swaps Billy’s model with Wesker’s and gives him some new moves (it’s still Billy’s VA and the dialogue is unchanged sadly)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

NikkolasKing posted:

I used to hang with the type of RE fan who insisted RE4 ruined the franchise by making it too Action. I profoundly disagreed for a lot of reasons but one of them is how you are drowning in items and ammo after RE1. 2 is a pathetically easy game and 3 frickin' has a crafting ammo mechanic The games loved them some Action well before 4, they just sucked at it because Classic RE isn't meant to be go in guns blazing. It's just not designed for it.

Even RE1 (original) gives you enough ammo that you can transition to the shotgun halfway through and finish the game with max-stacked pistol ammo sitting in the item box. Assuming that you're careful with what weapons you use on the bosses and tougher enemies like Hunters, anyway.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I assume they're talking about REmake where ammo is much tighter.

Revelations is insane in the opening. They melted a city with a solar ray. Another cruise liner is attacked. There's like four organizations all being named. It's weird, the whole post 4 pre 7 period was weird for the franchiae

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gaius Marius posted:

I assume they're talking about REmake where ammo is much tighter.

Revelations is insane in the opening. They melted a city with a solar ray. Another cruise liner is attacked. There's like four organizations all being named. It's weird, the whole post 4 pre 7 period was weird for the franchiae

The funny thing is that according to the timeline, Terragrigia getting beamed happens around the same time as RE4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was indeed talking about OG RE1. My memory of RE1 is pretty dim but I remember ammo being fairly scarce on the Chris route. But its' been a long, long time, and I was never some pro at it.

I just remember it's sure harder than RE2.