Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah considering Johnson is making spending deals with little fuss it makes sense to bail him out. McCarthy had no such argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Misunderstood posted:

Yeah considering Johnson is making spending deals with little fuss it makes sense to bail him out. McCarthy had no such argument.

McCarthy also spent years being an untrustworthy snake. Johnson, as a tabula rasa, has some leeway since he has yet to back out of any agreement with democrats.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think it's fair to say the issue is complicated. I doubt the Houthis are acting out of desire to show support for Palestine and there have been some pretty good reasons presented in this thread to doubt that.

It's important to not divide the entire world and it's entire ideologies into pro and anti genocide in the face of Israel's pogrom. Some people are just opportunists. Some people are going to be pro-genocide in the opposite direction. Some people just lie. "They oppose Israel, therefore, they are the good guys" is not necessarily a winning philosophy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joe Biden's foreign policy decisions are distracting us from Communist China! Taiwan now has proper leadership. We need to protect our silicon.

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 13, 2024

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I think you can recognize that the houthis are not necessarily good people while still opposing the US military's choice to attack them

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Aztec Galactus posted:

I think you can recognize that the houthis are not necessarily good people while still opposing the US military's choice to attack them

Help me understand this. Why shouldn't the US attack belligerents who are attacking civilian ships and putting people's lives at risk? I'm not talking about the argument of getting Congressional approval, just the merits of attacking an aggressor to hamper their ability to launch these strikes. How do you stop them otherwise? Or do you just let them continue? Didn't the US keep issuing warnings for months now?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Guaranteeing the safety of civilian ship traffic is just about the least controversial mission the US has

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

small butter posted:

Help me understand this. Why shouldn't the US attack belligerents who are attacking civilian ships and putting people's lives at risk? I'm not talking about the argument of getting Congressional approval, just the merits of attacking an aggressor to hamper their ability to launch these strikes. How do you stop them otherwise? Or do you just let them continue? Didn't the US keep issuing warnings for months now?

You put pressure on Israel to stop the genocide.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tiny Timbs posted:

Guaranteeing the safety of civilian ship traffic is just about the least controversial mission the US has

Look I am going to keep robbing gas stations until America ceases its support of genocide

What

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

How many russian (and 3rd party) ships can we sink? I'd really love to sink some.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nucleic Acids posted:

This doesn't do that anymore than destroying windows of small business owners in a completely different country would for police brutality in the US?

The main legitimate purpose for the USN is exactly this, protecting the sea lanes from piracy and also by coincidence the very first war America declared, when they wiped out the Barbary Pirates.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Nucleic Acids posted:

How does that actually fix the problem? (hint: It doesn't, except in your imagination)

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

small butter posted:

They shouldn't do it because these attacks will do nothing to dissuade Ansarallah but in fact cause an even greater reaction, as the state dept themselves noted in a press release

These bombings in fact seem singularly useless for anything but to do something for the sake of doing something. The us absolutely is not going to invade Yemen, and lobbing missiles back and forth is going to do nothing to lower shipping insurance.

So the US should not do these actions because they're useless to resolve the conflict

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

small butter posted:

Well, you’re not looking at it with the right perspective. If you read more theory and really understand the historical dialectic to unpack all the contradictions underpinning the system of social relations in the capitalist west, you’ll see that, actually, the right choice in any foreign policy decision is the one that the U.S. did not make.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"We should send troops to stop all this genociding!"

Jesus loving christ, some people conveniently forget our terrible history with interventionist military action whenever the next one comes along.

It's like there's a large portion of our media dedicated to Forever War...huh.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 13, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A big flaming stink posted:

They shouldn't do it because these attacks will do nothing to dissuade Ansarallah but in fact cause an even greater reaction, as the state dept themselves noted in a press release

These bombings in fact seem singularly useless for anything but to do something for the sake of doing something. The us absolutely is not going to invade Yemen, and lobbing missiles back and forth is going to do nothing to lower shipping insurance.

So the US should not do these actions because they're useless to resolve the conflict

By this argument shouldn't Hamas not lob rockets at Israel because it doesn't in actuality put pressure on Israel to stop its actions?

I think it's an extremely dubious claim, to suggest that the US intervene here won't do anything to increase confidence in the safety of the shipping lanes through one of the most important of the world's trade routes.

SpeakSlow posted:

"We should send troops to stop all this genociding!"

Jesus loving christ, some people conveniently forget our terrible history with interventionist military action whenever the next one comes along.

It's like there's a large portion of our media dedicated to Forever War...huh.

Who are you referring to, or which news source is suggesting this?

But the fact is, the US has the right to intervene in such matters, and it is in fact very good for the whole world that they do so, because the functioning of the world's economy depends on the US Navy doing its job. Likewise not every intervention has ended in tragedy, the US's intervening helped contain the worst excesses of ISIS for example and prevented Iraq from falling to them. Likewise the threat of US intervention (albeit its very ambiguous as threats go) keeps China from invading Taiwan and so on.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 13, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl posted:

How many russian (and 3rd party) ships can we sink? I'd really love to sink some.

Wait never mind, we don't have to. The Houthis are extremely blessed it turns out

quote:

Houthis mistakenly target tanker carrying Russian oil, security firm says
CAIRO, Jan 12 (Reuters) - Houthi militants mistakenly targeted a tanker carrying Russian oil in a missile attack on Friday off Yemen, British maritime security firm Ambrey said.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) organisation said it had received a report of a missile being fired 90 nautical miles southeast of Yemen's port city of Aden.

"The master reported a missile landing in the water 400-500 metres away, and being followed by three small craft," the UKMTO advisory note said, adding that there were no injuries or damage.

Ambrey said: "This was the second tanker mistakenly targeted by the Houthis whilst carrying Russian oil."
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/houthis-mistakenly-target-tanker-carrying-russian-oil-ambrey-report-2024-01-12/

we should give them some more missiles

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Even China is like, "Hey guys, please don't interfere with trade please."

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Likewise not every intervention has ended in tragedy, the US's intervening helped contain the worst excesses of ISIS for example and prevented Iraq from falling to them. Likewise the threat of US intervention (albeit its very ambiguous as threats go) keeps China from invading Taiwan and so on.

To add to this list, the US intervention in the Balkans in '95 and '99.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is plenty of reason to believe that the attacks will be effective. They are not going to destroy the Houthis, but if you neutralize their ability to project force outside of Yemen then you are going to do a lot to restore faith in the channel. And, like, if somebody blows up a bunch of your missile launch sites, it is going to gently caress with your ability to launch missiles. It's not a one and done thing; they will have to enforce the security of the channel for a while, probably. But that's fine. We give them $800 billion a year.

I also have to assume the Houthi pirate navy is, if not completely sunk already, well on its way.

But whether you think it's effective or not, to call the acts "unquestionably evil" is downright hilarious when even the Houthis have only said that all that the US did so far was destroy some of their equipment and kill five of their murderous terrorist personnel. No civilians have been harmed.

I'm spitballing a bit, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've gotten the impression that the Houthis can't even operate out of urban areas in southern Yemen, because they are the controlling force in the north, not the south, and would have a lot more trouble embedding themselves in the cities when the pro-Saudi Qatari force has so much power. The operations do not seem to be putting civilians in much danger, and especially not as much as civilians are in danger from the Houthis themselves.

Like... loving with international trade isn't just making "number go down." When economies suffer, people die. The Houthis are putting more lives at risk with their actions than the US possibly could striking back.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2024

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any reason to question the supremacy of the US Navy, given the limited capacity of guerrilla tactics operating in the by-definition incredibly open space of the ocean? Even only the most advanced militaries can use stealth on it, and obviously we have a great capacity to counter that, and the entire world is outgunned by us. Maybe I'm missing some weakness?

I wonder if faith in the Navy was part of the reason Lai was able to win in Taiwan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't see how any of this is going to lead to that area being safer for shipping in the near term. I guess eventually they will make it so that the Houthis can't regularly attack shipping, but I don't see how it will be permanently made safe unless we park multiple carrier groups there indefinitely.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper for Biden to grow a pair and tell Bibi that he has to stop bombing Gaza.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't see how any of this is going to lead to that area being safer for shipping in the near term. I guess eventually they will make it so that the Houthis can't regularly attack shipping, but I don't see how it will be permanently made safe unless we park multiple carrier groups there indefinitely.

Would be a hell of a lot cheaper for Biden to grow a pair and tell Bibi that he has to stop bombing Gaza.

Houthis were doing this before the Gaza war too. They'll keep doing it unless they're prevented from doing so.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

The attacks on shipping have nothing to do with the war. The US navy deploying to the region (along with other nations) is generally the tried and true method to stop piracy. Piracy has always been an ongoing concern all over the world by the major shipping lanes; and waxes and wanes depending on the amount of resources dedicated to combating them.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Likewise not every intervention has ended in tragedy, the US's intervening helped contain the worst excesses of ISIS for example and prevented Iraq from falling to them.

The US conquering Iraq created ISIS.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They already park carrier groups out there indefinitely. That’s kind of their point. You don’t need multiple ones. To provide picketing and conducting strike on land-based missile platforms requires maybe an addition CRUDES platform or two. Not a full CSG.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Byzantine posted:

The US conquering Iraq created ISIS.

And? The argument here isn't that every US-led or enabled intervention is uniformly and absolutely good with no ill effects; but that saying every US intervention is invariably bad is well, a reductionist take lacking nuance because some interventions were actually good. The US invasion of Iraq in 2003 was bad, but the one in 1991 to liberate Kuwait was good; because the 1991 GW in a way enabled the OIF to happen mean its bad? No. That would be silly. The fact is it would've been worse for the US to have done nothing; ISIS needed to be stopped and it basically successfully was and Iraq despite the earlier errors is basically a functioning state today.

Countries do all sorts of bad things when Big Countries do Big Country Things but we also don't want them to NOT do Big Country Things, only do them better.

In short sometimes bad things happen, this doesn't mean we should prefer nothing to ever happen, and allow any number of unimaginable horrors to beset people around the world, under the false idea that it's unacceptable for some bad things we can't predict to happen.

And additionally the problem is that the claim "US interventions are always bad" just lacks any critical thought or material analysis.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Like I said "stop all that genocidin!" shouted over a PA from inside an armored vehicle.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SpeakSlow posted:

Like I said "stop all that genocidin!" shouted over a PA from inside an armored vehicle.

Can you elaborate on which argument this in reference to, or what point you're trying to make? What's your position that you're trying to say or support? I think everyone here agrees genocide is bad so I'm not sure what this is about.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

Can you elaborate on which argument this in reference to, or what point you're trying to make? What's your position that you're trying to say or support? I think everyone here agrees genocide is bad so I'm not sure what this is about.

Easy enough. Was does intervention in the current conflict look like? How do we get in and out without another quagmire like Iraq or Afghanistan?

What part of "American military intervention doesn't work" hasn't made itself clear over the last century?

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

What is the source of the claim that the Houthi attacks, which started in 2014, have anything to do with Gaza?

A big flaming stink posted:

You think that taking out their radar and weapons systems won't make them stop or severely curtail their attacks by virtue of losing equipment to do these attacks? I don't think that invading Yemen is at all necessary to stop these attacks. At some point, it becomes too damaging to keep shooting missiles at ships if it ends up the destroying the equipment that you need to, you know, win a civil war.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SpeakSlow posted:

Easy enough. Was does intervention in the current conflict look like? How do we get in and out without another quagmire like Iraq or Afghanistan?

What part of "American military intervention doesn't work" hasn't made itself clear over the last century?

What are you talking about? You understand that America can intervene in ways that don't involve sending ground troops into a hostile region right?

Additionally I believe I responded to your second point in my previous post which I don't think you've responded to, could you care to respond to the argument?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We could have at least attempted some kind of diplomacy with the Houthis rather than bombing the hell out of them

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

FlamingLiberal posted:

We could have at least attempted some kind of diplomacy with the Houthis rather than bombing the hell out of them

Weren't the Houthis warned numerous times that they needed to knock their poo poo off or face consequences?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
It’s amazing that we can have any expectation that Ansar Allah would be cowed by some aerial strikes. They’ve had the shot bombed out of them for years and are stronger than ever.

Madkal posted:

Weren't the Houthis warned numerous times that they needed to knock their poo poo off or face consequences?
It would be much easier to tell Bibi to knock his poo poo off, but apparently that’s not an option for Biden.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

What does diplomacy with the Houthis look like, though? Recognizing them as the government of Yemen? Even if this was about Israel-Palestine, it's pretty clear that the US could have done nothing about an asymmetrical Israeli counterstrike by their democratically elected government given that Oct 7 was the worst attack on Jews since WW2 short of military intervention, and at this point, most of the deaths already happened even if Israel gets reigned in tomorrow.

I just don't understand the non-military solutions being posited by anyone. Missiles are getting fired at civilian (and sometimes military) ships. A response that disrupts their ability to do so seems like the only option.

cat botherer posted:

It would be much easier to tell Bibi to knock his poo poo off, but apparently that’s not an option for Biden.

Again, do you or anyone else have any evidence for the claim that the Houthis are attacking because of Palestine?

small butter fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 13, 2024

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, bravo on the neoliberal cosplay. It's just funny how it all dovetails so...obviously.

"Sadly, we have no other choice..."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The UN tried diplomacy, I'm sure that'll work

quote:

UN Security Council demands Houthis stop Red Sea attacks
Eleven members voted for the measure demanding the Houthis "immediately cease all attacks, which impede global commerce and navigational rights and freedoms as well as regional peace."

Four members, including veto-wielding Russia and China, abstained. None voted against.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/un-security-council-demands-houthis-stop-red-sea-attacks-2024-01-10/?utm_source=reddit.com\

cat botherer posted:

It’s amazing that we can have any expectation that Ansar Allah would be cowed by some aerial strikes. They’ve had the shot bombed out of them for years and are stronger than ever.
Not cowed but they won't be able to launch missiles if they don't have any left.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

SpeakSlow posted:

I mean, bravo on the neoliberal cosplay. It's just funny how it all dovetails so...obviously.

So do you have an answer or not? What kinds of terms do you think that the Houthis are looking for? And why do you think that aggressors deserve negotiation and not a response in kind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

What are you even talking about? Which intervention are you trying to shame 'neoliberals' about?