Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
OT2 in the top five. Acceptable :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Fuuuuuuuuuck okay it's going on the list too. I don't know why I've been so resistant, I enjoyed Octo 1 pretty well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Hell yes

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So can anyone qualify how Octo 2's story and pacing is better. I haven't read the entire thread but a lot of the people voting for it say it is better than Octo 1 which I got very bored of half way through and didn't finish. I want to try this but I also don't want to light 60 bucks on fire.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I love FF16 but seeing it called an RPG is funny to me. It's much less of an RPG than the modern God of War games are

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's quite a jump in points to 5th place!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Infinitum posted:

4 RPGs in the Top 5 (Depending on how loose your interpretation of RPG is :v:)

Honestly its pretty shocking.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Heck yeah, OT2 is so good. Very happy to see it so far up here.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nail Rat posted:

I love FF16 but seeing it called an RPG is funny to me. It's much less of an RPG than the modern God of War games are

It's grandfathered in okay?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

That's quite a jump in points to 5th place!

It's to go with the jump in quality of game ;)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

MikeC posted:

So can anyone qualify how Octo 2's story and pacing is better. I haven't read the entire thread but a lot of the people voting for it say it is better than Octo 1 which I got very bored of half way through and didn't finish. I want to try this but I also don't want to light 60 bucks on fire.

all the characters are better written and have better stories. there's not really a point where you have to grind. they also have characters pair off into side stories sometimes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Infinitum posted:

"Why is Stardew Valley so popular? It's just plagiarising Harvest Moon!"

Just enjoy video games my guy

I have no problem with people liking it. I have a problem with people pretending like I am crazy for pointing out something super obvious that is 100% true just because they like a game. I don't know why finding something off putting for being very derivative is such a hot take around here.

I really don't appreciate this bullshit at all. You are a mod and should post better than this. You can just ignore me and let me have an opinion instead of trying to poke the nest repeatedly with smug dismissive garbage like this. I wasn't even trying to start any srt of argument and you are just trying to make things worse. How about not doing that, eh?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MikeC posted:

There's an actual connected narrative, the characters have interactions with each other and comments on each others stories, and just generally the individual stories are more engaging and meaningful.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

only good vibes in the celebration of games thread pls

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MikeC posted:

It is a very long and somewhat slow game. I finished 1 but couldn't quite make it all the way through 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I have no problem with people liking it. I have a problem with people pretending like I am crazy for pointing out something super obvious that is 100% true just because they like a game. I don't know why finding something off putting for being very obviously derivative is such a hot take around here.

I really don't appreciate this bullshit at all. You are a mod and should post better than this. You can just ignore me and let me have an opinion instead of trying to poke the nest repeatedly with smug dismissive garbage like this. I wasn't even trying to start any srt of argument and you are just trying to make things worse. How about not doing that, eh?

You were the one being dismissive first so everyone else is just responding in kind. I asked you a genuine question you refused to answer, and now no one wants to engage with you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I like video games, they're fun.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

VideoGames posted:

05. Octopath Traveller 2 (SquareEnix) (2023)
329 points. Voted for 47 times. Appeared #1 six times. Average of 7

gently caress yes. I'm SO glad this game largely broke through the "eh I got kind of bored of the first one and never finished" barrier and a ton of people saw/are seeing how good this one is. It's such a banger.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Where's the robots

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

I have no problem with people liking it. I have a problem with people pretending like I am crazy for pointing out something super obvious that is 100% true just because they like a game. I don't know why finding something off putting for being very derivative is such a hot take around here.

Unfortunately this place has a different vibe than the ps5 thread veni. The ppl who know you know you're not crazy ;)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
veni this is entirely the wrong place and time for this please take it elsewhere (also regy is right)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

MikeC posted:

Don’t think there’s a way to quantify if it’s “better” as such. It’s a refinement. There’s more flare in the presentation like fun camera angles and flashy little setpieces, but none of the stories are going to blow your socks off with their structure really. I think where it shines is in all the little details, and how genre aware the plots are. They play off your expectations really well.

But mostly, II is an improvement of small degrees. It’s just that there are so many small degrees in so many places that it feels tremendously better.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The outpouring of love for octo2 is just ❤️ 😍 💖 ❣️ 💕 💘 ❤️ :love:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Hell yeah

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

veni veni veni posted:

lol

Also Alan Wake 2 got robbed these results are clearly faked!!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

veni veni veni posted:

Stop this now. Abandon this argument. Stop trying to make your point. Hush.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

stop ripping off bad posters

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

lol

Also Alan Wake 2 got robbed these results are clearly faked!!!

Clive's just a cooler name than Alan, sorry.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

veni veni veni posted:

lol

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Everyone else stop engaging with veni please. Clear the decks.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I'm honestly kinda shocked, because IIRC I don't think goons went crazy over the first one. I've heard so much good about OT2 here and in the PS5 thread that I don't know that I should put it off any longer.

Really oughta have more faith in the goon hive mind for good games. I know a couple of my top ten games this year were pickups from last year's GOTY, for sure. Right now I think the hivemind is pointing me at OT2, Outer Wilds, and Hi Fi Rush, and I'm currently finishing up RDR2 which has been an excellent ride that I only got around to because I always hear goons praise it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

unattended spaghetti posted:

Don’t think there’s a way to quantify if it’s “better” as such. It’s a refinement. There’s more flare in the presentation like fun camera angles and flashy little setpieces, but none of the stories are going to blow your socks off with their structure really. I think where it shines is in all the little details, and how genre aware the plots are. They play off your expectations really well.

But mostly, II is an improvement of small degrees. It’s just that there are so many small degrees in so many places that it feels tremendously better.

Ok thanks. To others who responded as well. I'll file it under the 'pickup on sale' for now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Ibblebibble posted:

Clive's just a cooler name than Alan, sorry.

Did you know he is a writer?

Clive is just a no good rebel.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

it's the year of the shmup. sorry but my google doc says so

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lester posted:

you can ride the loving subway and look out the window. CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kaiser Cortez posted:

a huge lightbulb moment that really threw everything I didn't like about Starfield into contrast. Wow, I can walk around while people are talking, I don't have constant loading screens, and some of these characters I almost care about.

MikeC posted:

Now a beacon for what AAA gaming should be. A graphically spectacular game, complete with dozens of hours of unique storytelling and missions, and a deep and rich narrative supported by excellent world-building.

Escobarbarian posted:

given what I said before, you best believe I booted this game up and rode the subway for multiple hours in the background while doing other stuff when it released

Grand Fromage posted:

One of gaming's best stories, the best character interaction I've ever seen in a game, and you can run around with a glowing katana slapping bullets back at people.

Subjunctive posted:

getting to experience this in its final form is bittersweet. Imagine if this had been the game they’d released originally, and had been building on for the last 3 years. Imagine!

dc murderverse posted:

the best game I played this year, and in my heart of hearts I’m still a more than a little pissed off about that launch. They never should have launched that game in that state, and god willing they won’t ever gently caress up that bad again. But I also knew that there was a good chance that eventually they’d get the game into the state they wanted from the get-go, and they did, and then they kept going.

Extortionist posted:

It starts off with a ridiculous (in a good way) 80s action movie kind of intro but soon gets into some great spy intrigue and some serious cyberpunk kind of stories. The main story is incredibly good throughout and the new characters are all fantastic.

04. CyberPunk: Phantom Liberty (CD Projeckt Red) (2023)
364 points. Voted for 47 times. Appeared #1 seven times. Average of 7.7
Up by 19 places.

I know. What is THIS doing here? Well that goon who put it number 1 back in 2020 before it released was the real prophet. They knew. They absolutely knew. And now you all do too.

As always, we reach the final three. Goons loved these games. From some of the words posted it was not difficult to be swept up in the enthusiasm and one specific post in particular made me so excited to play one of them that I am thinking of moving my schedule around just to experience it sooner.

I think we will all agree that in terms of a trio, this is an absolute powerhouse of great gaming and 2023 was truly something remarkable.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I already played and finished all of Case of the Golden Idol and it’s first DLC because of this thread, it’s decidedly my poo poo and seems like something they could crank out at a pretty nice clip.

I think I’m gonna give hi-fi rush a shot today

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I'm honestly kinda shocked, because IIRC I don't think goons went crazy over the first one. I've heard so much good about OT2 here and in the PS5 thread that I don't know that I should put it off any longer.

Really oughta have more faith in the goon hive mind for good games. I know a couple of my top ten games this year were pickups from last year's GOTY, for sure. Right now I think the hivemind is pointing me at OT2, Outer Wilds, and Hi Fi Rush, and I'm currently finishing up RDR2 which has been an excellent ride that I only got around to because I always hear goons praise it.

People didn't go crazy over the first one! That's the remarkable thing about OT2 it really learned from the first one's mistakes and improved dramatically.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Tbh I'm kinda shocked too. I was expecting a top 15 finish maybe. 5th place is a lot higher than I would have thought

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Time to call shots:

5. Octopath II
4. Phantom Liberty
3. Armored Core VI
2. Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

:yeshaha:

Adbot