Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
It's called the Oregon Trail generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

triple sulk posted:

i feel seen

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

500excf type r posted:

It's called the Oregon Trail generation

I did regularly shoot 2,000lbs of wildlife while knowing my carrying capacity was only 200lbs

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I did regularly shoot 2,000lbs of wildlife while knowing my carrying capacity was only 200lbs

somehow as a kid it never dawned on me that thinking "bullets are cheap, might as well keep killing things" was perhaps not good for a simulator game

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
Maybe I should revisit my answer, because a difference between cspam and other goons may simply be a willingness to look at material reality, which may be a trait that is forced upon you at a young age. Wealth insulates from material reality. Did cspam grow up poorer than the average goon?

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

Fell Mood posted:

Maybe I should revisit my answer, because a difference between cspam and other goons may simply be a willingness to look at material reality, which may be a trait that is forced upon you at a young age. Wealth insulates from material reality. Did cspam grow up poorer than the average goon?

It's hard to say "things will get better, we'll figure it out" when dinner is 2 slices of buttered toast again in the trailer park.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Paradoxish posted:

weird vibes-based discussion instead of, you know, talking about material reality.

To me this has become the entire crux. Years of reading fat polsci books, philosophy eastern and western, 3 degrees, SA posts by the thousands, talking to people in clinical situations:

Material reality is a foreign land. There is an unfathomable disconnect, hyper-reality style, between people and the world. The causes are, I'm certain, very familiar to all in here, as well as its recent exacerbation.

The consequences are dire, of course, but to me I'm most familiar with the health implications of such disconnects, people functionally committing slow suicide in a panoply of interesting and confounding ways. What will be the long-term ones in a context of survival of the human species as it were? 8 ball says: outlook not so good

Edit:

Fell Mood posted:

Did cspam grow up poorer than the average goon?
My first job was receptionist in a hooker motel run by a Chinese guy who turned a blind eye. One of the rooms was special, room 37, last room on the left, because an ex elementary teacher was, unbeknownst to me at the time, slowly going completely insane in there. She had paid for a year in advance of staying in this old, ratty, run down shithole of a place and had been losing her mind the entire time. The first I saw of her was on night shift, she showed up out of nowhere looking like the ghost from the Grudge, pointed at me from a dark corner of the reception room and said "Youre going to die!" then slowly turned and walked back to her room.

I heard when she left, the cleaning lady (she was a little bit "touched in the head" but still smart enough to) refused to clean her room because it was covered floor to ceiling in human poo poo, with writing on the walls, in poo poo of course.

I hope this story answers your question.

Testicular Torque Wrench has issued a correction as of 15:03 on Jan 13, 2024

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
I think it does. My family was very very upper middle until a combination of drug use and medical debt busted us down when I was 12. So not actually poor, we were able to get a computer when I was in high school, but still struggling with both parents working and me working part time to kick a little towards bills.

gently caress now that I think about it I recall paying the whole power bill some months because it had been turned off. Maybe it was worse than I remember.

Fell Mood has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Jan 13, 2024

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

D&D is a forum full of Panglosses

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
new record:

https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1745858049875870184

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

The people who post in those threads view optimism as an ideological stance and that means they'll literally never engage with any of this poo poo in any kind of meaningful way. It's also wildly frustrating to talk to people like that because they just automatically assume that the sadbrains doomers are doing the same thing and that you're actually having some kind of weird vibes-based discussion instead of, you know, talking about material reality.

the stance i most commonly encounter is "yes things are bad but humanity will find a solution just like we always have"

which is of course astonishingly unhinged in its own way

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i mean, we're here now. history supports that.

but my bar is a little higher than "humans continue to exist"

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

"we'll find a way" speaks to the misguided belief that something is inherently special about our species because our base stats have a few extra points in intelligence.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

"we'll find a way" gets used so much because it's impossible to conclusively disprove until the disaster is undeniable. Vaguely pointing to the future and saying "The solution could happen" isn't really something you can take away from people so a lot of them like to draw a line there and setup shop.

I mean you can argue all day about the scope of climate change and what will be happening in the future but that line can always be "Yes, we had a worldwide famine that killed a billion people, but this just means that we are more motivated to fix the problem. Here are theories and projections about new technology. We'll find a way"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

we just need to unburn coal, oil, and gas for 300 years without affecting our way of life or Number and we’ll be fine :)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i mean, we're here now. history supports that.

but my bar is a little higher than "humans continue to exist"

The problem is that history doesn't really support it. It's not like humanity is here because we've beaten an increasingly difficult series of challenges like jumping from one video game level to the next. Anything you could reasonably call an existential crisis in modern, written human history is just something we've done to ourselves, and ancient human population bottlenecks almost certainly were things we just happened to survive rather than problems we innovated through.

"We've always found a way" is actually bullshit because we've never had to find a way through anything as a global species before.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Paradoxish posted:

"We've always found a way" is actually bullshit because we've never had to find a way through anything as a global species before.

Before modern life made day to day survival a shelved issue, I do believe finding a way through was the prerogative of our genetic predecessors.

We've also fixed the hole in the ozone layer, which I think counts as "global species" success story. One can also argue, if pedantically, that we survived the Covid pandemic rather well compared to prior plagues.

Playing devil's advocate here, of course.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The frog in the boiling water survived every challenge thrown at it so far! It survived 30 degrees celcius, 31, 32, 33. There's no reason to believe it won't survive 34 too.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Small objection: we stopped the hole from getting worse, but it is still far from fixed.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Also I'd say we managed to do pretty much everything wrong with COVID and just lucked out that it wasn't much, much worse for us. It's hilarious how much news articles from the 1918 flu mirror modern COVID news.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
covid is also a really bad analogy that makes the opposite case: it showed that modern humans are utterly incapable of tolerating even moderate disruptions to their habits and day to day lives for more than a few days/weeks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Unfortunately human intelligence just hasn't scaled well. In large enough numbers we go from being the smartest thing on top of the food chain to being the dumbest drooling fucks imaginable. And any of our leaders who aren't stupid themselves are just grabbing power to enrich themselves knowing that they'll be dead long before it matters. All of the assholes most directly responsible are going to be dying quietly in hospital beds with the best medical care money can buy within the next 20 years, utterly satisfied with their disgusting lives selling the rest of us out for another loving yacht.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Paradoxish posted:

Also I'd say we managed to do pretty much everything wrong with COVID and just lucked out that it wasn't much, much worse for us. It's hilarious how much news articles from the 1918 flu mirror modern COVID news.

yeah covid's going fine now, couldve been a lot worse,

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, COVID really seems to be an example of human ingenuity and intelligence utterly failing, but the real world consequences being "tens of millions of people are dead" instead of "species extermination." I find it very hard to argue that things would have gone differently if the latter case was actually on the table. We just got lucky.

Also long-term consequences are still up in the air, so who knows what the future holds.

Testicular Torque Wrench
Apr 14, 2016

yeet

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

covid is also a really bad analogy that makes the opposite case: it showed that modern humans are utterly incapable of tolerating even moderate disruptions to their habits and day to day lives for more than a few days/weeks

My point is that the existential risk of covid is null.

I agree that people are creatures of comfort. Nature takes the path of least resistance, including our own nature. The experiences that are valuable here are not those of westerners forced to sit at home but rather of people like the palestinians and kurds who have suffered existential risk. If they were in a better situation no one would be better-suited for leadership in climate crisis.

Instead we get the rich, people who functionally do not understand suffering or hardship.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
climate change didnt kill me personally over the last year so who can say how bad it really is?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mags posted:

climate change didnt kill me personally over the last year so who can say how bad it really is?

Even primitive humans living in caves were able to remove 100 gigatons of co2 from the atmosphere, how hard can it be now?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Salt Fish posted:

Even primitive humans living in caves were able to remove 100 gigatons of co2 from the atmosphere, how hard can it be now?

how many trees u got

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

We've also fixed the hole in the ozone layer, which I think counts as "global species" success story.

Yeah, uhh, bad news about that one...

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

smoobles posted:

how many trees u got

fewer than yesterday

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
all my trees gone

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

COVID is insanely bad for humans, the cumulative damage of multiple infections will eventually destroy your immune system, but don’t call it airborne AIDS or you’ll make the mods unhappy

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Scarabrae posted:

COVID is insanely bad for humans, the cumulative damage of multiple infections will eventually destroy your immune system, but don’t call it airborne AIDS or you’ll make the mods unhappy

for gently caress's sake, the cspam covid thread is that way ---->>>>

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah COVID hasn't killed us so far but it's still cookin', much like the planet.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah COVID hasn't killed us so far but it's still cookin', much like the planet.

us gov: let it cook

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

love that graph

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

line go up

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

code un-loving-believable

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

enjoying the dichotomy between the 'we're going to treat climate change like covid, by ignoring it to pretend nothing is wrong' posters and the posters going 'climate change isn't like covid, because i ignored covid and it went away'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I do think the wombo combo of Fukuyama-rear end End of History bullshit coupled with all the media going: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namndS6fvEs with the ozone layer basically fried a ton of gen-x to millennial brains into believing that actually we can really solve anything if it gets bad

but lol it was all mostly optics, cuz the ozone hole isn't fixed and worse than ever. we just didn't have anything else to care about after we began the End of History!