Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

The ones they released for their latest attempt at Apocalypse looked decent.

Wonder how long until they give that another go with the new edition.

Let's see... 2007, 2013, 2019... 2025?

Apocalypse would explain the lack of gigantic-uge monsters in the major Tyranid range refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

2025 feels like it would check out, especially if AoS 4th edition is the big release for summer.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I would love a new land raider kit; they could make it an MK 2a/2b/3 multikit to replace the OOP forgeworld kit. I really hate the look of Spartan/Proteus land raiders; I think it's the bare treads on top.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Decided to slap together another squad of Cadians instead of painting custodes.

It's such a good kit, I love my precious disposable cannon fodder. There's more emotion and humanity in them than the entire custode army combined, with the possible exception of the Blade Champion and his flowing locks of hair.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

First ever not press fit marine done!

Gonna prime her in the morning and go from there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Thanks but it wasn't scorch marks. It was a gradiant to a neon-like orange that made it look as though it was glowing and being fired at that moment. Searching for glowing melta or meltagun gives me a few similar but imo inferior examples.

Sorry I can't help directly. I found a few "how to paint glow" things on YouTube but they weren't meltagun specific, more how to make parts of the minis really pop. If you find what you're describing please post it here though, I'd be keen to know too.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

DancingShade posted:

Sorry I can't help directly. I found a few "how to paint glow" things on YouTube but they weren't meltagun specific, more how to make parts of the minis really pop. If you find what you're describing please post it here though, I'd be keen to know too.

This reply wasn't the one I saw but is more or less the same effect from what I can remember:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sherbert Hoover posted:

This reply wasn't the one I saw but is more or less the same effect from what I can remember:

That looks amazing. I can see why a how to video would be desirable.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

iospace posted:

First ever not press fit marine done!

Gonna prime her in the morning and go from there.

She looks great, but please drill the barrels.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

3 Action Economist posted:

She looks great, but please drill the barrels.

I will once I get a drill! For a comparison, against a normally helmeted head:

Now to find either some loose Stormcast heads or 3d print some.

I do plan on 3d printing some weapons too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably just better to grab some printed ones, trying to get them via bits stores and ebay will either end in frustration or paying too much.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

iospace posted:

I will once I get a drill! For a comparison, against a normally helmeted head:

Now to find either some loose Stormcast heads or 3d print some.

I do plan on 3d printing some weapons too.

I got mine from this website. They are the OOP FW heads. They ship from Ukraine but the shipping to the US wasn't bad ($8). Took two or three weeks to arrive. Quality was good, no mold slipping.

I'm using them for my Celestial Lions Crusader Squads to represent human auxiliaries in power armor fighting alongside the depleted chapter.

https://blacklegionmarket.co/product/stormcast-eternals-heads-upgrade-set-2/

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Why is there a 20 minute wait for the warhammer store website right now? Lol.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
end and the death volume 3 collectors edition

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
and they are gone.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure you can expect waiting times every saturday for pre-orders these days.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
already on ebay for 300-400 good job GW stopping the scalpers.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I can't believe the average price for the collectors edition on ebay is $300-$400.

I hope all the scalpers lose everything.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the queue is absolutely insane bullshit. Queued at 12:15, told I had half an hour. Here I am 47 minutes later finally getting in and of course it’s sold out. GW’s new website is a complete disaster and the queue just makes it worse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jadebullet posted:

I got mine from this website. They are the OOP FW heads. They ship from Ukraine but the shipping to the US wasn't bad ($8). Took two or three weeks to arrive. Quality was good, no mold slipping.

I'm using them for my Celestial Lions Crusader Squads to represent human auxiliaries in power armor fighting alongside the depleted chapter.

https://blacklegionmarket.co/product/stormcast-eternals-heads-upgrade-set-2/

Sounds great, but why stop at auxiliaries? Just have some Apothecary press the 'Female Space Marines' button. What's the Inquisition gonna do, purge them even harder?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
What's a good unit of dudes to kit-bash into diggers and use as boyz?

I need raggedy rear end humans.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cawdors for Necromunda most likely, they're about as ragged as you can get unless you look at WHF Empire fanatics or something like that.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Necromunda Goliaths?

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy8Q8zqtEnu/?img_index=1

Random Khorne dudes (Jakhals would be pretty good), Poxwalkers, Warcry Untamed Beasts, they are all good. For Boyz, probably more on the Jakhals and Bloodreavers side of things.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Necromunda Goliaths?

They're basically the same size or bigger than the Orks, though.

Ash Waste Nomads are ragged, but they're not 'Ork hangers on' ragged.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Robert Facepalmer posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy8Q8zqtEnu/?img_index=1

Random Khorne dudes (Jakhals would be pretty good), Poxwalkers, Warcry Untamed Beasts, they are all good. For Boyz, probably more on the Jakhals and Bloodreavers side of things.

That looks perfect, thanks!

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
How do Stormcast heads tend to work for Marine bodies in general? I've seen a lot of good kitbashes focusing on putting Marine heads on Stormcast torsos but not a lot regarding the opposite, I've been trying to look into variating my guys a bit more.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sigmarine heads work great for Space Marines and vice versa.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I had one of the original release stormcast heads (looks like a metal face with a spiked halo, pretty common) and found it was just slightly too small when standing next to other marines, even the unhelmeted ones.

Did they up their sizes a little bit? Would be great to know since I've been writing off the stormcast heads entirely after I saw that. New options for kitbashing are always great.

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jan 14, 2024

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

The Demilich posted:

I had one of the original release stormcast heads (looks like a metal face with a spiked halo, pretty common) and found it was just slightly too small when standing next to other marines, even the unhelmeted ones.

Did they up their sizes a little bit? Would be great to know since I've been writing off the stormcast heads entirely after I saw that. Now options for kitbashing is always great.

the second wave of revised stormcast designs are a bit bigger. close to marine heads in total height but still noticeably smaller overall since they've got relatively more naturalistic human proportions vs marines' hypersteroidal melons

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 14, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Sounds great, but why stop at auxiliaries? Just have some Apothecary press the 'Female Space Marines' button. What's the Inquisition gonna do, purge them even harder?

The Celestial Lions don’t have any surviving Apothecaries, and can’t create any new Marines, short of convincing another chapter to essentially adopt them for rebuilding.

Auxiliaries are also a nice nod to the fluff that the remaining lions led the survivors of Helsreach Hive to defeat the Ork war boss that killed their chapter master.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ashcans posted:

The Celestial Lions don’t have any surviving Apothecaries, and can’t create any new Marines, short of convincing another chapter to essentially adopt them for rebuilding.

Auxiliaries are also a nice nod to the fluff that the remaining lions led the survivors of Helsreach Hive to defeat the Ork war boss that killed their chapter master.

I mean I presume they’ve trained some more, between the Black Templars Grimaldus sent back to Elysium and the help they got from their bros in the Emperor’s Spears, both of whom kind of did that exact thing. If you haven’t read it yet check out Spear of the Emperor.

But auxiliaries as a source for recruits could work.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Had my very first game of Big Kill Team last night and I am absolutely hooked. We did a pseudo combat patrol at 500 points each side, no epic heros, max 1 vehicle. We halved the board (44 x 30) and set up objectives according to the Leviathan cards but halving the distances. We also messed up with the secondary decks so we abandoned those. It was all a little janky but we were just trying to learn the ropes.

My takeaways:

- 500 point games are way too swingy and I can see what people mean when they say it's just not balanced enough at this level

- Phase order is confusing at first but you get it after a couple turns. I didn't realize you could charge after shooting phase, as I'm used to all movement happening at once like in Kill Team.

- Shooting and combat resolution is a lot more straightforward that it seems on paper

- We didn't realize you could fight back on your opponents fight phase (provided you survived the initial combat/charge)

- Sense of speed and scale is so much different from Kill Team; my squad of 5 Chosen made it across the board and into combat on turn 1 and shredded a 10 man squad of tzangors

- Chosen are BAD rear end. 3 wounds a piece, 12 + D6" move/advance then you can shoot or go into combat

- Venomcrawler did way more work than I expected it to, but I hamstrung myself when placing terrain and there was only one viable path for it

- Cover being essential worthless for marines is super flavorful. I can see how playing marines and playing anything else would be like playing two completely different games on the same board

I have many more but you get the gist! Can't wait to play again, even another janky 500 point game. Definitely excited and motivated to get the rest of my army together for a proper 1000 point game.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Who wants Dark Angels? me, if I manage to get one of the five copies they made

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/14/sunday-preview-deathwing-assault/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There's also the new crusade supplement as well.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How long are they gonna wait to put out the Ballistus Dreadnought for regular sale?

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

xtothez posted:

Who wants Dark Angels? me, if I manage to get one of the five copies they made

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/14/sunday-preview-deathwing-assault/

When does the actual pre-order go live?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

10PM as I recall.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 14, 2024

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Dragonshirt posted:

When does the actual pre-order go live?

10am local time (using PST for US & Canada)

As luck would have it I have to take my kid somewhere at exactly that time on Saturday, so I'm not entirely confident about getting a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For what it's worth, I've not had trouble getting these army boxes when I've wanted to since I got into the hobby, I suppose the Dark Angels could be magnitudes more popular than the other factions though.