Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Regy Rusty posted:

I am still hesitant to try AC6 but I guess I have to sometime this year

I am playing it right now and honestly it would have place 4th in my list last year... maybe 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Making me regret not getting Phantom Liberty, I only have the base cyberpunk game...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

TotK 2
BG3 1

Lock it in Eddie

I’m still not convinced veeg won’t have rigged things to put Gollum at 1

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Making me regret not getting Phantom Liberty, I only have the base cyberpunk game...

It's your fault I'm considering paying fifty quid for Age Of Fear: Total

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:perfect:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jerusalem posted:

Oh man that sounds incredible :hellyeah:

You literally can slow mo double jump air dash around with a katana and a shotgun that blasts people into pieces in single hits. They even added glory kills. It's just missing the meathook. And thankfully missing all the stupid platforming Mario poo poo.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I didn't play either TOTK or BG3 so I guess I have no real skin in the next two places.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m still not convinced veeg won’t have rigged things to put Gollum at 1

Hoping people can vote for Worst Games of the Year next year, cause there were some absolute stinkers this year
(Everybody only gets 1 vote cause the focus should be on good games)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are very few games I would be ok with TotK losing to but BG3 is one. Even if it wasn’t my personal preference it’s such a stunning achievement

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
#1 will be BG2, BG3 didn't get any votes sorry

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Ibblebibble posted:

I didn't play either TOTK or BG3 so I guess I have no real skin in the next two places.

Speaking as someone who prior to a few months ago had no experience with CRPGs or DnD, and also someone who's a big time lifelong Zelda mark

they're both real good and I'm not going to be shocked or upset at either result.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Yes it's the same (mostly) map, and (mostly) the same characters, and pretty much exactly (maybe?) the same villain, so you'd think this would just be more of the same. It is. But it's more than that too.

MV posted:

Compelled me to keep playing even after beating the final boss, there's lots to experiment and have fun with here.

hatty posted:

I almost didn’t want to give this the top spot because it seemed too obvious. Like is the game I put 200 hours into within 40 or so days really my goty, is it that easy? I suppose so.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge posted:

In fact, it took several sessions of sitting down to actually beat it to actually beat it. I would get sidetracked by one thing or another and suddenly I spent an hour hunting down Tingle’s pants and made no forward progress. Even after playing it for dozens and dozens and dozens of hours, the shine still hasn’t worn off.

Wittgen posted:

Really adore how densely packed with compelling stuff to do and explore this game is. Truly a joy for most of it.

Epic High Five posted:

was just a real achievement in a lot of ways, it totally consumed me for a month in a way that almost nothing out there can anymore.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s unbelievable just how much joy this game gave me, how much fun it packs into every single moment, how much it encourages experimentation and play within an existing world in a way very very few other games ever have. Nintendo - who are famously extremely rigid in many ways - really made a game where the primary focus is seeing how you can break it over your knee, and in the process created maybe the most fun game of all time.

BigDumper posted:

At its core it was more time in one of my favorite game worlds ever, for that alone it was the best game of the year for me.

DemoneeHo posted:

really gets me in a way that most other open world games cannot. No stupid waymark pointing out every attraction on the field. Just pure freedom to travel the land and sky

Manoueverable posted:

sticks the landing in a way very, very few open-world games do, and that earns it my #1 spot.

Chadzok posted:

ut of a year full of huge sweeping epics this was the only one that swallowed me whole it was an extremely wholesome 100+ hours that meant a lot to me, my kids and my budding multiplayer group of mates.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Just a beautiful, great game. Made me cry multiple times through playing it.

chiasaur11 posted:

t's a massive game that manages to actually do interesting things with all that space. It's one of the few games where your random, stupid first idea will work. It'll take some fiddling, you usually have to understand the nature of the puzzle, but you don't go "Oh. That's what you wanted me to do, then. I wasted an hour". You go "Ha! My brilliant rocket car solution eventually worked!"

TriffTshngo posted:

This game is incredible. There was never any question that this was going to be my #1. It did everything I wanted, several things I didn't realize I wanted until it was already doing them

Plebian Parasite posted:

I always though Nuts and Bolts was ahead of its time and this kinda proves it.

Bifner McDoogle posted:

It's unquestionably boldest game on this list from a technical and developer perspective.

02. Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo) (2023)
763 points. Voted for 102 times. Appeared #1 twenty-eight times. Average of 7.5

Nintendo apparently hit a homerun of a Zelda game with this one, and I need to play it myself this year after having hit up so many of the other major Zeldas. Seriously, the gushing about this game (and pretty much all of the 751 games) has been a joy to read.

It put up a huge fight against the top spot but ultimately, more people played and loved the number #1 game and of course, it is

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Infinitum posted:

Hoping people can vote for Worst Games of the Year next year, cause there were some absolute stinkers this year
(Everybody only gets 1 vote cause the focus should be on good games)

Most people wouldn't be able to speak authoritatively though because they avoid spending money and time on games they don't have a decent idea that they'll enjoy

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Time to call shots:

5. Octopath II
4. Phantom Liberty
3. Armored Core VI
2. Tears of the Kingdom
1. Baldur's Gate 3

:clint:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goddamn, nice shot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It does have Big 'Ands

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Zelder

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

VEEG.exe has encountered a fatal error.
Rebooting VEEG.exe. :f5:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VideoGames posted:

It put up a huge fight against the top spot but ultimately, more people played and loved the number #1 game and of course, it is

Gollum!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pokemon Red and Blue, somehow.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Gollum!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
ending of TotK legit got a one person standing ovation from me. amazing. the best. what a month that was.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PIKMIN 4 BABY IT SWAPPED PLACES

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

01. BLOODBORNE (FromSoftware) (2015)
A BILLION POINTS, ALL THE TENS, ALL THE VOTES, EYES ON THE INSIDE

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo the points difference between 2 and 3 :vince:

TotK was my favorite game of the year but there's no denying just how HUGE an impact BG3 made (and it was my 2nd favorite of the year!) so hell yeah for some great games!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
TotK is pretty much my favourite game ever made tbh and anyone who complained about the building can eat my dang shorts

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Veeg, I think I love you

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

NICE

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

VideoGames posted:

lol

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It’s absolutely insane that at the beginning of the generation Nintendo released a new Zelda game that remains a high point of open world gaming that people have taken inspiration from every year since. then at the very end of the generation they did it again, in a different way but somehow using the map/controls/engine/world from the first

TotK is a miracle of game design

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

ending of TotK legit got a one person standing ovation from me. amazing. the best. what a month that was.

yeah i was hooping and hollering throughout

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Now who called THIS!?!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Uh. Oh. We got malware on veeg.
Running Virusnuker. :f5:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VideoGames posted:

Awwwww poo poo :eyepop:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

VideoGames posted:

Brilliant LMAO

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

veeg, or some say, veegy, do you mod our posts?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VideoGames posted:

IT'S DONE IT AGAIN FOLKS LET'S GO

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Good show everyone please take your belongings with you on your way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU