Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Vahakyla posted:

The ingame loretime will grind to a halt, so it's currently the morning and-or night before, so MSFS flights etc will be doable, as will be the early Electronic Warfare related things, which Davin will be posting about.

EYES ONLY PRIORITY

DTG: 0000Z 06MAR2010 [March 5, 2100 local time]

FM: 1ER EA, FACH
TO: SACACOM

INFO: PLAN MOVEMENTS

1. PLAN FLEET MOVEMENTS OBSERVED ON ELINT

2. DURING SYSTEM TESTS IN ADVANCE OF OPERATIONS 1ER EA FACH DETECTED SHIPS IN 1ST AND 2ND PLAN FLEET OPERATIONAL AREAS

3. 2ND PLAN FLEET SORTIED SAG FOUR 054A FFG ONE 052C DDG APPROX 25 NM ESE NAI GRAU

4. 1ST PLAN FLEET SHIP HANGZHOU OBSERVED APPROX 22NM NE NAI BEACH ASSESSED EQUIVALENT MOSKVA/IMPROVED SLAVA CLASS CG

BT

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I will do it. I will sink the Moskva.

e: seriously, accidentally done the shaping for this operation. PLAN is now aware that they have a hostile submarine operating to the East of their patrol zone and sitting astride their sea supply route between the beach and the Falklands AOR. They have to either extend that patrol zone to the east, accept the risk to their shipping, or cease whatever operations were underway. If they extend the patrol zone then that will thin out the ASW presence around the beach which will give me an opportunity to re-approach and attack. I can then go to ground to evade counter-attack and when you see the big moskva shaped explosions the airforce can come in to sweep away any asw air assets and maybe attack a frigate or two and give me an escape hatch. Joint operations across two games!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 7, 2024

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
PLAN warship go gently caress yourself

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Admiral Ileana Maria Sampaio
South American Combined Armada

Z062015Z MAR10
FM ARA VEINTICINCO DE MAYO
TO ARA SAN JUAN
INFO COMCSAA(AS REQUIRED)
BT
CLAS
1. 1945.
2. MISSION SUCCESS. ARROW SUPPLY IMPACT UNDER REVIEW. TARGET INTEL RECEIVED. AIR STRIKE LIKELY.
3. 1ST PLAN REACTING TO PROBE. ASW ACTIVE. CG HANGZHOU OBSERVED.
4. WEST MALVINAS PORT OR SAG POSSIBLE. CONTINUE RECON ALONG CARGO SHIP BEARING.
5. GO DOWN RATHER THAN SURRENDER THE FLAG. SAMPAIO
BT

NNNNNN

«Irse a pique antes que rendir el pabellón!«

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2024

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Saturday Op - Recon and Recovery

TASK : Perform recon of the Swagga Airbase (using an M2HB / HMG Team / Mortars) while extraction of POW's is performed.

RISK ASSESSMENT : Medium.

We will take a bit more risk than the last mission, but in order to mitigate this I want us to move in FAST. By reducing time in contact we will reduce the opportunity for the PLA forces to rally.

1. Deploy in column.
2. Split before #2, recon of the hill by the Recce attachment. My hope is they can get close enough to knock out this group without word getting to PLA HQ.
3. HMG team finds quick point to deploy and fire on the runway, checkpoints, or whatever else looks cheeky. Mortar team will deploy.
4. Extraction team will head slightly north to prepare for the run on the prison.
5. HMG team opens up, mortars fire on the mortars/hq. Extraction team hits the prison and puts the POW's into vehicles. Acquire extra vehicles if available.
Time Frame from Open Fire to Exit not to Exceed 10 Minutes
6. Be aware of potential incoming recon element that could counter attack.
7. Mortar Target area. Don't hit the hospital. Do hit the HQ, Mortar Pits, and attack aircraft.
8. I forgot why I placed that one there in red.

Once the POW's are in the trucks we head west and make for the crossroads at #2. We will depart as a convoy with 100m spacing between vehicles to prevent a lucky mortar or rocket from wrecking everyone.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Site 8 looks like an enemy motor pool. Perhaps you marked it earlier as an enemy strongpoint. It probably merits a few mortar rounds, if they have the time. Certainly it would be an easier target than the hospital / mortar complex. There’s a similar area near the runway, which probably services the aircraft.

Also, and this is purely a style issue, but the word Recovery typically refers to finding deceased people. I think a Rescue is the more preferred term here.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Mortar Team Lead

Seems solid. Just a few points:

The big thing I see is that the enemy mortar needs to die first. The problem is that it's dangerously close to the hospital for our own mortar to engage, especially if we're lacking precision munitions and targeting computers. This problem *may* be mitigated by, with coordination from another team, zeroing in on another target (such as planes or hq) and applying those corrections when we retarget. However, this leaves us open to counter artillery from that same mortar. Another possible mitigation would be to task the marksman with dealing with the opposing mortar before we open up. Positioning for such a shot, however, poses a significant risk to the marksman, and if they go down we're stuck with a danger close fire mission by a hospital anyway. Another mitigation would be to use a smoke for ranging, which alerts the enemy, but at least a hospital directioned error won't hurt anyone.

Our mortar also needs a couple of positions to maneuver to post-firing, ideally to the north of 3: close enough to set up for continued support, but far enough to avoid counterattack.

To remind you of the precision we're working with, in the previous Arma mission we started with a 300m error on our first shot, but got steadily more accurate as we figured out wind corrections. These targets are much closer to the mortar, which may help a little, but 100m between success and war crime is still quite the needle to thread.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 10, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4051568

Bottom Line Up Front I am looking for 4-5 players for this game of combat and espionage heavy roleplaying, who can commit to a few sessions to start. We’ll be using the AirGoons discord for voice, and Foundry VTT for all the visuals. Between game discussion will happen here though we’ll have a text channel in the AirGoons discord for light stuff. No prior knowledge of the Twilight: 2000 system is needed, we’ll teach it and make characters during a session 0. Game will be either Tuesdays or Thursdays, 7pm eastern (running till about 10pm), or Saturdays 10 am eastern running to about 1pm. Initial commitment is likely 2-4 sessions, depending on how quickly things go.

:getin:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

USSOUTHCOM is able to provide 4x launchers and MQM-170-derived airframes to serve as decoys in support of SEAD/DEAD. This is part of a standup program for the US to provide decoys for itself and especially partner nations in order to assist with SEAD and penetration for missile attacks in a more cost-effective and rapidly manufactured manner.

Assuming acceptance from CSAD, the U.S. will fly the equipment as far as Buenos Aires within 48 hours (available for next mission). Transport and employment from there is up to CSAD.

[OOC: GM will have final say on volley sizes and inventories and whether or not I jumped the gun on supplying this, but for now we'll say you get 4x launchers and 12 aircraft to start. Expect that you can fire 4 in a mission, unless stated otherwise by GM. Surrogates for MQM-170s will probably be unarmed wingloons or predators in-game, surrogates for MQM-107/167s when offered later will probably be some trainer jet clearly marked as "unmanned"]

[Also OOC: These can help soak up some SAMs or cause SAMs to emit/engage without AI aircraft being downed.]

These launchers can be towed by a basic pickup truck, and the drones can be assembled on site.

Jean-François Guillaume, Contract Pilot with an undisclosed PMC

As the late afternoon sun bathed Buenos Aires in it's glow, I found myself squinting skeptically at the non-descript Bombardier Global Express before me. The name's Guillaume, I'm a former RCAF pilot, and I've been tasked with a real pain in the rear end. Moreso the co-pilot I've been assigned, and less the flight itself. Word from the dispatcher is that this cargo is going straight to the front line in the Magellenes, and that it's something sensitive straight from the Americans themselves. Sacré bleu, what have I got myself mixed up in this time...

The pit stop in Buenos Aires was brief but filled with the kind of airport coffee that makes you reconsider your life choices. A pair of CSAD military grunts are in the cabin, making sure that no nosy pilots or Airport personnel poke their heads around in the payload bay of this specially converted Bombardier Global Express. Apparently it's some classified military equipment that makes James Bond's gadgets look like dollar store toys. I don't know about that, but that's not for me to know or to start asking questions about. Best to focus on finishing the final touches on my flight plan in the GLEX's nav computer.

Beside me, the greenhorn pilot, eyes wide and excited like a drat puppy, stared at the controls like they were made of gold. Suppressing the urge to unleash a torrent of choice Quebecois expletives, I grunted and gestured for him to buckle up as we finished our checklists. We took off in the late afternoon, just as the sun was dipping behind the Andes.

The climb to FL420 was smooth and uneventful, and thankfully the upper cloud layer was below us. As we soared above the South American landscape en route to Puerto Natales, the charm of the adventure was lost on me. The hum of the engines mixed with my grumbled complaints about the godforsaken coffee maker, the seats that creaked like my old bones, and the new pilot's unbridled excitement to press all the wrong drat buttons.

It was late into the evening as we approached Puerto Natales' SCNT airport. My co-pilot begged me to let him fly a IFR approach into the landing, so I handed off the controls to him and got my pack of Québec Classiques ready for when we touched down. It.. wasn't the smoothest touchdown, but given most of the lights were turned off due to military light emission discipline, he did well enough.

Ahhh... Now that we're on the ground, it's finally time for a breath of fresh, tobacco-filled air. Wonder what rumours I'll pick up at the ramp's smoke pit, seems like there's lots of utterly exhausted AVN techs running around here.Maybe the war isn't going as well as they say it is in the papers...

Delivered: 12x MQM-170 Drones and 4x launchers for them, plus assorted equipment, spare parts, and documentation to support their use.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 12, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

To all SACA naval pilots, shore teams, and ground crews,

You have been performing excellent work these past weeks - tirelessly supporting the SCAD air, ground, and naval forces at airbases all over the region. Countless tourists and refugees have enlisted our help in evacuating the zone, or accessed the stores of food and emergency supplies that we have brought into the area through our logistics operations. As you are doubtlessly aware, many different private and commercial airlines have begun operating in the area - drawn by national cargo contracts, as well as the lack of typical tourist travel.

While this has been difficult for the economy in northern regions, this has caused a boom of airport construction and infrastructure investment here in the south. You may have already seen some of these building efforts near your duty stations - expanded runways, additional lighting, better facilities, and increased traffic. From the largest international airports in the area, to the smallest air field, the combined efforts of allied South American nations are bearing fruit. Where there was once only the occasional emergency aviation flight, we now see many jets from neighboring nations bringing much-needed troops and supplies. Free market efficiencies are changing our landscape, simplifying our charter processes, and diversifying our base of airline operators.

This is not only affecting the civilian areas of our airports such as Puerto San Julian and Villa O'Higgins, but is also impacting military airbases and overall readiness. Naval Supply Command is even now preparing efforts to convert under-utilized airfields such as Rio Chico (near Rio Gallegos) and Cmte. Luis Piedrabuena (near Santa Cruz) for ongoing military usage. Once crewed and supplied, these bases will be available for the shore-basing of naval aviation squadrons, as well as relieve crowding for Air Force aviators.

Be aware of the construction efforts, and bid welcome to our friends as we expand,

Adm. Sampaio

Come Play MSFS With Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XAQUB8PjA4

Do you play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020? Interested in flying a mission for TLAW? Check out this newly-released freeware airport bundle focusing on our region! It has "98 sceneries, 68 small to medium hand-made airfields, and 27 excluded airfields. Plus the former ranch of Butch Cassidy & Sundance Kid". The Spanish creator also offers a bunch of flight plans, and then YouTube videos of him flying around the various airstrips. It all looks really cool, and adds functionality (such as runway lighting) to the many small airports that are featured in this region of the world. It's easy to install, but if you want any advice or assistance, come check out the Air Goons Discord channel.

https://flightsim.to/file/48727/fsonfs-flight-simulator-on-far-south

In celebration of the small airfields of the area, I offer this very special ATO contract for anyone who is interested. Using the FSonFS mod is completely optional, but will add flavor and detail to the mission if used:

quote:

ATO: Rescue F-5E Pilot

There's a F-5E pilot who went down over the coast of Tierra del Fuego last mission. As a local tourist operator from Rio Gallegos, you know the area well. Sadly, you haven't had much work since the war began. After some patriotic drinking, you reckon that there's a good chance that if they managed to eject they'd end up along the San Simón Headland (https://mapcarta.com/20089080 52°44'13.7"S 70°08'26.1"W). The larger airports in the area such as Rio Gallegos or Puerto Natales have largely restricted the access to general aviators such as yourself. Getting permission to use their facilities takes time, and you don't want to wait. Fortunately, your keen knowledge of the region means you know that the disused Rio Chico airfield is still available - and it's within the city and only a short distance away. You can fly out of Rio Chico, land on the headland, rescue the pilot, and make your way back to the Aduana airfield just across the strait. Your drinking buddy promises to pick you both up in his truck, once you arrive.

Chinese anti-air systems are quite unlikely to pick up your trusty ultralight. If you act quickly, you might be able to rescue that pilot with none the wiser. The pilot was shot down by AAA cannon fire while attacking a coastal supply depot to the east of the headland. (52°45'31"S 69°38'07"W). If they went into the water, then waves would eventually wash the pilot and some debris up along the cape. If recovered, the soaked pilot thanks you but will only refer to himself by his call-sign "Breaky". That being said, he may well have some good information to offer his commanders upon his return.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post536842240

Suggested Aircraft: Whittaker MW6 (freeware) / Amphibious Ultralight (payware) [Ultralight]
Payload: 1 PAX
Route: Rio Chico, Argentina to Aduana-Rio Gallegos, Argentina (SARJ > SAKY)
Distance: 220 km / 120 nmi

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 14, 2024

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

need to get my yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals from my parents place so i can join in on this fun, but its a few states away.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

E: oops boyfriends account

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

AppleNippleBOB posted:

need to get my yoke, throttle quadrant and rudder pedals from my parents place so i can join in on this fun, but its a few states away.
I fly with a PS4 controller. Not as immersive but fun enough!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ARMA AAR

The team deployed short handed and rolled the mortar team into the fire teams. We departed in two up-armored vehicles, a Land Rover with an MG, and an unarmed Land Rover. We sighted a PLA flag on a hilltop and the first team investigated. A little jeep thing came flying rear end up the hill but we weren't noticed at that point. One of the MRAP's drove around, fire on the bunkers, while grenades were tossed. The ammo cooked off shortly after and the game was up. A helo lifted off and Davin wrecked it with an IGLA.

Things became a bit confused as we got into a "Who's on first?" "Exactly!" situation. We had tried to name the two MRAP's Rhino and Tiger, but I think half of us forgot which was which. The MRAP's led the way, Davin drove into a wall and did a big thud. The 2nd push finally kicked it over. Things again became confused as Burnt and I embarked took fire and were wounded, then revived. Then we drove to the prison and embarked on foot to support the MRAP assault. Which led to me getting shot again. The MRAP did gods work, only to discover that there were more POW's in the hospital. So we loaded who we could, and drove down the runway.

The MRAP's did a full on thunder run towards the HQ. Burnt and I deployed a demo charge on the center MI-8. A Wing Loong 1 UAV was downed by M2 HB fire as well. Someone (Corey?) put a charge on a large cargo plane as well. The HQ and hospital was cleared and the final POW's were rescued. A single PLA Attack Helo managed to take off but promptly ate poo poo with all the HMG's tearing into it.

While scouring for POW's CoreySmash ransacked the PLA HQ and thoroughly searched it. It's likely he came away with some juicy bits. The cargo plane was detonated as well as an MI-8. All PLA vehicles took some degree of M2 fire as Alchenar came back with nothing but empty ammo boxes.

What Worked

The quick advance got in, got out, accomplished the mission.
The M2's prove to be excellent.
TFAR Radio is awesome.
The shorter mission was a nice change of pace.

What Didn't

Naming the trucks just confused us, we should have stuck with "red", "blue" etc.
We were slow to start the assault once we were at the hill.
I had a tough time keeping track of which truck was where which led to some confusion.

Thanks to Elendil, Jerik, and the ARMA Mission Team for putting all of this together.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Vahakyla posted:

TO: General Figueroa
FROM: Brazilian Air Force, 7th aviation group's 1st squadron

The P-3 patrols maintained on the east coast between Islas Malvinas and Rio Gallegos are on hold.

The Brazilian P-3s are returning to Aeropuerto San Julián temporarily for maintenance and 100h overhaul.
It will take some 48 hours to get them ready for sortieing out, but this kind of op tempo is brutal for a fleet of three planes.

However, good news: the delivery of the Harpoons at Rio de Janeiro has been made available. these three containers, 12 harpoons each, can be delivered to San Julian by ship or charter aircraft, they can be loaded and used on the FAB P-3s.
March 5th, 2010

Hey there Gilbercitos, I'm back in the comforting embrace of Avianca's A321Neo; the 747 was nice, but there's no place like home. We're headed back to my old haunt, Puerto San Julián, with 10,000kgs of fishing gear to help them get stocked up for next year's tourist season. Anyway, let's sign off on this thing and hit the skies!

It was just a bit overcast and rainy on departure this afternoon, but with half our maximum cargo load and tanks, it was a pretty zoom-zoom climb through the clouds and up to our cruise altitude.

Enroute cruise was pretty bog standard, clear skies (at least for our flight level), heavy crosswinds, but little chop. Got in some good time reading a book by Marie Kondo about decluttering your life and your home. These days it feels more like I'm living out of hotels more than home, so at least in the short term I'm not sure how much good this book will do for me.

We started our descent into San Julián just as the sun was setting, making it very picturesque. I was glad we hadn't left a bit earlier in the day, or else I'd have been shooting the approach almost directly into the sun. But anyway, enough burying the lede. We had a big problem on approach. As you long time Gilberto followers know, San Julián is an uncontrolled airport, which typically means the runway lighting is "pilot controlled," meaning we tune into the Common Traffic Area Frequency and toggle the transmit button a number of times to turn them on manually. So, tuned into CTAF, announced our position, and clacked the transmit three times.

No lights.

Tried it five times.

No lights.

Tried it eleven times, because why the hell not?

Still nothing. So after a short discussion with Captain Santos, we agreed to extend our downwind leg, fully configure for as slow of an approach as we can safely fly, then aim towards the direction of the airport and hope we can find it visually. If not, we were going to have to divert north.

Can you see the runway? We were barely able to pick it up in the dying light of the day, but it was enough to setup on final and stick the landing.

That sucked.

((10,000kgs of Harpoon weapons delivered. SAWJ has no runway lights in-game, had to find a scenery mod to add the correct lighting, but even with that it still is missing taxiway lights.))

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

Air Tasking Order: Deliver Commandos

"A medium passenger aircraft and pilot are required for the expeditious transport of some 30 soldiers." The language might have been officious, and details sparse, but the money was good and civilian contracts are getting harder to find here in wartime South America. The resort town of Mar del Plata is beautiful from the air, but landing amidst the hustle and bustle of the military section of the airport brings you right back to earth. The assembled troops meet you at the tarmac, and it is clear that they comprise two distinct squads.

The first group to arrive is orderly and polite, but keep to themselves. They look to be well-drilled special forces, and all speak rapid Spanish with each other. In addition to their individual equipment, they have a separate cargo of sealed gear that somehow seems nautical in nature. The identity of the squad ultimately wasn't difficult to distinguish - on their berets they wear unit patches of the Argentine Tactical Divers Group made famous in the Falklands War. The second group to arrive at your aircraft is something of a more irregular bunch - they assemble in twos and threes speaking in languages and accents from all over the combined forces. There's no singular unit patch or even uniform, but everyone seems to be an individual that can take of themselves. One of the members, who appears to be the leader of the group, has a black container with the word "GUILLOTINA" spray-painted on its lid, and they eye it warily when they hand it to the loadmaster.

This contract came a bit unexpectedly; your older aircraft typically doesn't get a lot of the military contracts that have been handed out recently. And Rio Turbio is such an out of the way destination - fighter squadrons and trains might operate there now as part of the military buildup, but it's still a fairly quiet place. What could they be doing there? Clearly the missions are classified, and the manifest doesn't offer much information. Some of the payload is marked for ground delivery to SCNT, and the rest of it is earmarked for helicopter transport to MAYO. But if this stuff is going to Puerto Natales, why aren't they going there directly? A bit of a mystery. But while your plane might be a bit unassuming, she can still get the job done.

As you finish your preparations and do your aircraft walk-around, you breathe in the crisp March air. It's getting colder.

Suggested Aircraft: DC-3 (freeware) / Fokker F28 (payware)
Payload: 30 PAX & 400 kg
Route: Mar del Plata, Argentina to Rio Turbio, Chile (SAZM > SAWT)
Distance: 1,910 km / 1,030 nmi

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 14, 2024

Trouble Brewing
Sep 2, 2003
Mischief on the horizon
Operation RAT TRAP - Driver/RPG man point of view:

https://youtu.be/x_-5IxcaXzs

Kaal
May 22, 2002

quote:

Air Tasking Order: Transport Mariner

After delivering a naval military officer, some Greek salvors, and the surveying equipment needed to oversee the freeing of the HMS Invincible at Comodoro Rivadavia, the flight crew and the passengers of the civil air authority light aircraft (ANAC / DA Buenos Aires) were asked to stay on for the night at the Lucania Palazzo Hotel. The next morning, the Tsavliris engineers are up early as they work to understand the problem. There's a buzz of activity near the Port Authority office, with the engineers and their Argentine minder speaking urgently with the visibly anxious British naval officers. The carrier has been stranded just outside the city for far too long, and the turning season is threatening to deliver dangerous tidal shifts. Tugboats, barge cranes, and industrial equipment of all kinds are converging on the port of Comodoro Rivadavia as sailors work to free the massive ship before it is too badly damaged. Meanwhile, the British fleet escorts at anchor in the harbor and the brave Harrier squadron were surely never intended to defend an immobile target. There's absolutely no time to waste if the carrier is to be freed.

Everyone in the Port Authority office agrees that local harbor pilot Daniel Goro's veteran expertise is critically needed to navigate the carrier out of the shoals and out to sea, once it has been successfully freed. Such pilots are a critical part of navigating the fickle waters of the South Atlantic, and are typically required for all ships in and around the Magellan Strait. While the proud British naval officers are hesitant to accept the assistance of a mere civilian pilot in sailing their flagship, Senior Engineer Mamakis and Capt. Finardi are insistent that knowledge of the local underwater channels is crucial. The story of the USS Enterprise running aground within a kilometer of her berthing, all because her captain wanted a Navy pilot at the helm when they came into sight of their waiting families, is told again and again to a dubious audience.

Finally, after waiting in the sumptuous but deserted hotel restaurant for many hours, the ANAC air crew are asked to fly Argentine navy liaison officer Capt. Daniel Finardi to nearby Puerto Deseado. Their task is to meet Goro, likely found near the port berth for his harbor tug Gypsy V, then return with the pilot and his assistant son. If anything is going to firmly put the bruised feelings of the Falklands War into the past, then surely it will be an Argentine pilot commanding the HMS Invincible in her hour of need - however temporary that authority might be.

Suggested Aircraft: Cessna 208 Grand Caravan (freeware) / BN-2 Islander (payware)
Payload: 3 PAX
Route: Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina to Puerto Deseado, Argentina, to Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina (SAVC > SAWD > SAVC)
Distance: 480 km / 260 nmi

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 15, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This Saturday's game is on! As it is a re-do of a mission, all plans are valid and to be executed as is. The prior mobility flights are themselves valid after this game day.

So, this saturday, day after tomorrow, is gameday 06 March, 2010.

Come fly m'lords and m'lordettes.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

March 5, 2010

Early morning in Comodoro Rivadavia and I was practically twitching with the chance to once again get in the air. Come to Argentina they said. It's great flying they said. Much better weather than Canada they said. Fiona, you are a fool. I had been able to get by with tourist flights and supply runs to isolated villages, but even those had dried up as the war had gotten closer. The government had contracted me to fly some naval officer down to one of the little villages I did runs to and bring back some people.

The naval officer seemed really nervous as he arrived, his attaché case clinking with the unmistakable sound of bottles of booze, but a quick check of the plane and a chat with ATC later, we were on the runway and then up in the air.

A short flight later, we were lined up and touching down in Puerto Deseado, on the mouth of the Deseado River.

The officer said he'd be right back, so I sat and waited. And waited. And waited. Luckily the FBO had a half decent restaurant and I was able to charge the government an overpriced burger for my lunch. Finally, several hours later, the officer came staggering back, singing drinking songs with a man who had to be the pilot we were here to pick up, with a younger man behind them carrying a suitcase and sighing. With the help of Goro Junior, we managed to get the two of them into the plane, and then set off back for Comodoro Rivadavia, drunken snores in the back serenading us the whole way.

One hop later, and we were approaching the city, and then taxied back to the out of the way hangar, where my passengers were quickly whisked away by several serious looking men.

1 PAX taken from SAVC to SAWD, 3 PAX taken from SAWD to SAVC.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MISSION IS A GO!

Frames are good, test is good, and the mission file works. We are more than set for tomorrow. Please enjoy the attached picture of the Chilean fleet, with the Argentine carrier, sailing to combat, about to transit a narrow channel.

:frogsiren:

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012
Glad to hear mission is a go, this time! I just feel a little sorry for them Chinese Botes and shootymen, got a week's reprieve and false hope of not getting shot at for a while. Fly safe, all, I look forward to seeing the BDA and AARs since I can't fly this time.

O7

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
bad post

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 21, 2024

Able
Nov 1, 2023

Deep Strike BDA Report

Deep strike with a focus on the enemy’s supply and support. Which has been identified as the enemy’s greatest weakness.

Sunk 2 ships west of Punta Arenas:
- The sinking of two ships significantly diminishes the enemy's naval strength, limiting their capacity for maritime operations.
- This disruption in maritime capabilities can lead to a bottleneck in the transportation of troops, equipment, and crucial supplies to front-line forces.
- The effectiveness in disrupting enemy supply lines is evident, as naval transport is a vital component of their logistical chain.
7th CSS BN 4th BDE DESTROYED:
- The complete destruction of the 7th CSS BN disrupts the enemy's logistics and supply chain.
- This destruction has a cascading effect, impacting their ability to sustain forces and conduct effective operations.
- The destruction of the CSS unit contributes significantly to weakening the enemy's overall logistical capabilities.
14th CSS BN 5th BDE DESTROYED:
- The complete destruction of the 14th CSS BN delivers a severe blow to the enemy's logistics and supply chain.
- This destruction disrupts their ability to sustain front-line forces, leading to potential operational and strategic disadvantages.
- The impact on logistics contributes significantly to weakening the enemy's overall military capability.
3rd SPT BN 3rd BDE damaged:
- The damage to the 3rd SPT BN has direct consequences for the enemy's support capabilities.
- The compromised support unit may struggle to provide essential logistics, maintenance, and other critical support functions to front-line forces.
- The disruption in support capabilities weakens the enemy's overall operational effectiveness.
4th SPT BN 5th BDE damaged:
- The damage to the 4th SPT BN affects the enemy's logistical support capabilities in the targeted area.
- The compromised support unit may face challenges in supplying and sustaining forces in the region, impacting their ability to conduct sustained operations.
- This disruption contributes to degrading the enemy's logistical network.
6th ADA BN 7th BDE damaged:
- The damage inflicted on the 6th ADA BN compromises the operational effectiveness of the air defense unit.
- This damage can create vulnerabilities in the enemy's ability to defend against future air attacks, making them more susceptible to aerial threats.
- The weakened air defense posture enhances the potential success of follow-up air operations.
2nd ADA BN 3rd BDE lost 3 (ea) HQ7s and support equipment:
- The loss of HQ7s and support equipment significantly reduces the air defense capabilities of the 2nd ADA BN.
- This loss creates vulnerabilities in their ability to counter aerial threats, making them more susceptible to air attacks.
- The impact on air defense capabilities enhances the feasibility of future air operations in the area.
9th ADA BN 4th BDE lost 1 (ea) HQ7 (last one):
- The loss of the last HQ7 for the 9th ADA BN is a critical blow to their air defense capabilities.
- This loss leaves a significant gap in their ability to defend against air threats, increasing their vulnerability to aerial attacks.
- The consequences for the overall air defense capabilities of the 9th ADA BN are substantial, impacting the broader defense strategy.
Silkworm site North West on ISLA CARLOS III Degraded:
- The degradation of the Silk Worm site weakens the enemy's coastal defense capabilities.
- This degradation could reduce their ability to deter or counter naval threats in the region, providing opportunities for naval operations.
- The implications for coastal defense highlight the strategic value of degrading such key defensive assets
Collateral Damage:
While the precision of our strikes minimized collateral damage. Preliminary reports suggest damage to infrastructure, including power lines and roadways.
Enemy Response:
The enemy responded swiftly to our deep strike by repositioning air defense assets to fill the gaps that their losses had caused. This will reduce the enemy's ability to establish Surface Air Missile (SAM) defenses in depth, meaning we could exploit the gaps in the radar coverage to get behind these defenses and strike vulnerable exposed units. The enemy ADA units are also spending significant numbers of munitions that they can't easily replenish. This will have an impact on the enemy SAM capabilities.
Conclusion:
The focused enemy strike has proven incredibly successful. Our forces suffered significant losses among our carrier-based strike aircraft. However, their sacrifice was not for nothing. We have dealt an incredible blow to the enemy’s ability to sustain its front-line forces and air defenses. This will provide our ground forces with the much-needed time to continue to build combat power and much-needed breathing room.
Recommendation: Capitalizing on our mission success and to continue to build momentum we need to keep the focus on supplies and support. If we can continue to degrade the enemy’s western flank we could strike the enemy’s only deep-water port facility, Punta Arenas.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Game master updates after the game.

06 March 2010

Ground Forces:

AO BOLT
-Along HWY 255, the PLAGF 3rd Brigade is retreating in good order under pressure of Argentine 1st Brigade and 9th Brigade
-The 4th PLAGF Brigade has forced some blue troops back at Tres Chorillos by a few kilometers, despite suffering ADA losses, and suffering a blow to its supply.
-The 7th PLAGF brigade has left Punta Arenas port
-The 5th PLAGF Brigade will pull back to reconstitute supplies

AO ARROW;
-The Argentine 11th Mech Brigade is under artillery, rocket, and missile attack

Naval Developments;

-The FAB P-3 patrols detected a likely Type 093 submarine at -50.90035, -68.22473, sailing north
-The Chilean fleet and the 25th of May have exited the AO to the north west and are no longer in the fjords
-CNS Aquiles AP-41, the Naval Auxiliary carrying 4x MIM-72 CHaparrals and their supporting 12x 5-ton trucks has dropped its cargo in Tortel with the use of a crane and a loading barge.
-Port and salvage efforts at HMS Invincible are underway. The Salvage Crew estimates 42 hours, morning of 08 MARCH, to see the Invincible coming loose. Royal Navy reports that they'll likely need several days to perform quick improptu sea trials to ensure the ship working. Currently, the Royal Navy is unsure if to commit the carrier to assist CSAD, stating hesitancy due to the heightened risk from PLAN activity in the area.

DECISIONS TO BE MADE:

GROUND FORCES
General Humberto:
-What unit will get the delivery of AT weapons from the US? This unit will get a boost against armored units
-The Chilean Army has now taken possession of the MQM-170 drones. You may designate a target area on the map, and during game day stand-in DCS models, MQ-1s, will fly to the area to soak up enemy missiles.

NAVY
Admiral Sampaio:
-Where should CNS Aquiles sail without cargo?

AIR FORCE
Comandante de escuadrilla Castillo,

-The Delivery of Harpoon missiles for the FAB P-3s has arrived. Fitting will take 72 hours along with calibration and weapon preparation. Do you wish to do it now and recall the FAB P-3 patrols, or postpone?

And finally, General Carlos, what is the next game day, and what is your next focus?

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 21, 2024

Able
Nov 1, 2023

Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) fligth Mission Request:

quote:

Requesting an ISR flight along the North, and Western sides of the Falkland Islands specifically in and around the following Points of Interest (POI) West Point and Hill Cove.
Need recommendations on possible locations for a clandestine insertion site for the Special Forces team & What is the strength and composition of the enemy forces in and around the entire Islands?

quote:

Request an ISR flight in and around the Silk Worm site North West on ISLA CARLOS III. What is the status of the site and equipment?

quote:

Requesting ISR flight in and around approximately 53°43'54"S 72°07'15"W. I want to know what the hell is going on.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Vahakyla posted:

AIR FORCE
Comandante de escuadrilla Castillo,

-The Delivery of Harpoon missiles for the FAB P-3s has arrived. Fitting will take 72 hours along with calibration and weapon preparation. Do you wish to do it now and recall the FAB P-3 patrols, or postpone?

Yes, please fit harpoons.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

concise posted:

Yes, please fit harpoons.

So be it, FAB, 1st Surveillance Squadron, P-3 patrols pulled back and are not able to perform detection for 72 hours.
They're performing this at Capitán José Daniel Vazquez Airport, SAWJ.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 21, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Mission report: ARA San Juan 4-5th March 2010

At the time of writing I am continuing to follow a reciprocal course to the PLAN MV of 57 deg at S52`25`25, W64`04`44. I am commencing snorkelling to recharge my batteries and intend to attempt to make contact with any PLAN naval forces IVO the Falklands to establish their operational area.

I attach a video of the patrol on the popular webhosting internet page known as 'youtube': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhijOZ4KOcc

SONAR CONTACT

ARA San Juan has multiple sonar contacts on the western side of the Malvinas. Battle stations!

You can expect a new CMO mission in a few days of irl time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
AND ANOTHER!

The Brazilian Navy submarine, Tupi S-30, has also sonar contacts North West of the Malvinas at -49.59217, -63.54758.

This submarine currently has no ingame Command: Modern Operations player. Looking for volunteers to join and be handed their first mission.

Will crosspost to grog thread.

The Angry Brit
Sep 17, 2005

Do I pull G's? no sir, I'm married

The Angry Brit posted:

Dude Flight Brief

2x F-15E (Prime/Xeno426, Arbitary/radintorov)

Brief:

Mission: BAI of tgt 14-5 CSS, 27-3 CSS, 3 BDE HQ, 3-3 SPT BN, 4-5 SPT BN BDE

The Long Afternoon War - Day 9 - Dude Flight AAR

Flight Members:
Dude 1-1 | Prime / Xeno426
Dude 1-2 | Arbitrary/Radintorov

Tasking: Deep Strike
Kills: 4x Combat Supply Station, 2x HQ-7 LN (PLA SAM), 1x PLZ05 (PLA Arty Company)
Losses: N/A
Expended: 5x GBU-12, 2x GBU-31

Summary :words:

Dude 1-1 Prime posted:

CENSOR NOTIFICATION: Details removed regarding ingress flight from REDACTED air base.

After entering CSAD airspace and briefly orbiting over El Calafate we met up with Rattler, our escort flight and proceeded to push following the Ninja SEAD flight. We orbited PLATE with our escort while SEAD go to work on the SA-11; during which time our WSO's started working the target locations from high res AG radar scans.

Once SEAD gave the Olé call we proceeded to COLO and on to our targets, however on our approach we were advised the SA-11 was still active and so returned to our hold until Olé was called again.

During this time we became aware a CSAD AFAC was on station offering us precise target data; having not anticipate this and tasked the WSO's with acquisition I decided not to accept, which in hindsight may have been a mistake.

We dropped our first GBU-12 on a combat supply station near WP5 to good effect while Dude 2 prosecuted targets near WP8. Dude 1 suffered aircraft failures relating to smart weapon deliveries; the maintainers tell me it's some grease monkey going by the name of Razbam who screwed us over, I'll ring his pencil neck if I catch him.. Dude 2 suffered difficulties but managed to clear the blockage and drop with good effect on all other killed targets.
Recommend grounding Strike Eagles until these faults are fixed, poo poo -- someone dig us some Phantom's out of the boneyard, something to be said for the old tech!

We continued to loiter looking for targets, once the buildings had been cleared we struggled to locate ground vehicles due in combination to our TPODs limited magnification and static vehicles blending in to environment on our FLIR, combined with FL requirement to stick above 20,000ft to avoid SHORAD. That AFAC would sure have come in handy...

Other assets started running low on play time so we began our egress, on route Dude 2 relayed the location of enemy vehicles to CSAD artillery; great work from them.

Overall, it was a long way for us to drop half a dozen bombs hampered by system failures; but we're confident we put a dent in their supplies and command structure, and most importantly, showed those bastards they aren't beyond the reach of the USAF.

--

What went well?
  • No losses or damage, with thanks to supporting assets; exited the threatre with all tanks and unspent ord still attached.
  • Struck all major buildings at each WP
  • Relayed two artillery missions (one turned out to be friendlies, again, appreciating diligence by ground commanders for confirming!)
  • Clear comms from commanders on 261 and 262 keeping us up to date on SAM threat and enemy air in the area

What could have gone better?
  • Systems issues that hadn't occurred during training hampered overall effectiveness; had systems performed as expected we could have further sanitised
  • FL unaware AFAC would service our targets and opted to decline coordinates in favour of WSO's hunting, later came to regret

The Angry Brit fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 21, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

ABM AAR
This was, all things considered, somewhat of a milk run from the ABM perspective. Only two a2a engagements (should have been 0, but I’ll address that later) to speak of.

The Good
Pontiac flight was vectored onto a pair of J7s and while it took longer than expected to prosecute the kills, they both got splashed and frankly a j7 dogfighting CAP is a j7 not loving with the strikers.

Buzzard provided good SA for Ford flight on a single ship J11 that was nosing around near Ford’s operating area.

Great to see the Su-25s back in action SEAD/DEADing and dropping bombs. We need to source more HARMs for them.

The ABM picture (what LotATC lets us see) is about perfect.

The Bad
I think at this point we should not even consider planes with only Aim9’s to be capable of shooting down enemy planes. Aim9s for self defense only. Put Aim120s on F-16s you want to shoot planes down.

There was a mismatch between flight expectations and ABM expectations. Buzzard expected to be vectoring strikers directly onto ground targets, but that level of detail is not available in LotATC. What worked well in past campaigns was areas of interest to the strikers, which were known from ISR or other sources, were put into LotATC ahead of time as a drawing, saved as a .json and shared with ABMs so we can at least vector strikers onto or around certain things. Not the exact location of the unit, but known clusters/groups/hq’s/etc, enough to get strikers close enough to use their eyeballs to find the rest.

M2000s are good for one dogfight before they are out of gas, if they’re the only CAP, then strikes should be planned to last roughly one M2000 dogfight in length.

The Ugly
We continue to see a mismatch between where CAP/escort is stationed and where they need to be. I bumped Rattler down 15-20 miles and even that was too little for them to be truly effective. We were given a big box labeled “don’t pursue” and told not to pursue enemy planes into the box, but the strikers were all operating in the box. Letting the strikers get schwacked isn’t in the cards, but tossing the flight plan out the window is useless too, we may as well not flight plan.

The enemy had two pairs of J7s flying between roughly Porvenir airfield and WP Beach, almost parallel to Pontiacs barcap with about 40 nm spacing. This meant that for the first bit of the mission, while tense (turning on the end of a barcap is impossible to distinguish from turning hot until you give it 30 seconds to breathe) meant the strikers could strike and everyone was playing mostly nice.

However some AI, uncontrolled F5s kamikaze’d into the AO and stirred up the J7s, which meant now they were looking at the strikers and CAP was not in a good position based on the “no pursue” box. Luckily, the j7’s ran out of fuel before they could engage the eagles but only just.

If there are going to be other, friendly air operators (planes, hueys, etc.) in the AO, we must have awareness of them, or they should fly another day. If there is a pile of them available, then they should be made available to the command staff and given tasking that compliments, rather than hinders the main operation.

Action Items
  • Source more HARMs for SU25s, either via GM fiat from allies across the water, or air mobility from Peru.
  • Ground or ‘fix’ the AI to prevent interference in future operations.
  • A .json of important things should be generated for ABM reference. SAM/no fly bubbles, important targets from the mission orders, etc. I can help with this but dumping the whole google map into lotatc would be too much poo poo so someone who is more in the combat mission planning flow should be lead
  • Missions need to plan around the CAP (or CAP needs to be planned around the mission)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Contact report by AFI (Agencia Federal de Inteligencia) officer Pasha Rizzo.

Subj: Walk-in contact report
Date: 05 March, 2010, 1320 Local Time
BLUF: Small PLAN units consisting of multiple ATVs and men have been seen carrying MANPADs in the vicinity of Mount Victoria along the Strait, south of Punta Arenas.

An older, male subject presented to the guard outside our office, requesting to make a report about suspicious activity spotted during the course of their work. Cid Tocco, 64, retired sargento primero with EA (Argentine Army) works as one of the many commercial fishermen in the area. Over the course of several transits through the Strait he spotted Chinese regular infantry on all-terrain vehicles transporting shoulder fired surface to air missiles along the rugged terrain on the north side of the Strait, south of Punta Arenas. I produced a map and he circled the areas of high activity.

Senor Tocco regrets not being in the fight anymore, and says that many of the fishermen are tired of being boarded, searched, and generally harassed as they simply try to provide food for the occupied populations south of the front lines. He says he knows of a handful of other retired soldiers who have now fish, and who are still loyal.

I provided him a burner cell phone, which will likely only work when he is near Punta Arenas or other built up areas, and have assigned him the code name Anchovy (pending internal background checks, in process). I have referred the matter upstairs, to the attention of the newly forming Guillione force.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Weather for 7 March through 13 March

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

USSOUTHCOM

CSAD Command,

Updates:
-Shame that the F-15Es were having system issues. The new Razmatazz software systems seem to have some kinks that still need to be worked out before they can be reliably counted on to conduct strike ops. Thanks for keeping them alive and escorted; we can still message this as interoperability and international cooperation.

-Space-based ISR is still degraded after the PRC's anti-satellite attacks, but we should regain some capability, now that one of their expeditionary ASAT sites in the South Atlantic was destroyed by third-party actors in Angola.

-Nonstandard ISR reports that while the PRC may have temporarily culminated along the front line and transitioning to a defense while they resort their combat logistics, they have only continued to mature their logistical supply routes in the divisional rear areas, out of range of CSAD fires and untargeted by CSAD air power. The Brigade Support Area IVO Cruce Onaissin (intersection Y-71 HWY 257) and has expanded in several ways:
--Increased dispersal of support assets, using horizontal engineer support
--Repair/Refit services standing up to repair and return critical forces to the fight, such as power generation, radars, communications services, and armored combat vehicles
--Limited support for small LST / shipping support from the beach just southwest of the BSA
--Improved air defenses (RF/IR systems spotted including SA-11 TELAR, SA-9, and AAA)

-We detected multiple atmospheric radar shots, emanating from Rio Grande and also from vicinity of the above BSA. This indicates the enemy may be taking high altitude weather readings in support of ballistic missile launches. The CSS-7s remain unlocated, though trucks with markings associated with that battery have been spotted moving food, fuel, and other supplies on supply routes. We do not expect they would launch in winds exceeding 30mph, so launch windows are weather-limited. The radar shots indicate targets could include Rio Gallegos, El Calafate, or the CSAD DSA supporting the front line. The HMS Invincible is assessed to be out of range of these systems.

-CV16 was last located roughly 100nm North East of the Falklands, with significant aerial and naval escort. You should expect that ASW patrols in that area will be greater than usual.

Karrick
Apr 13, 2015
Chevy Flight AAR

Mission result:
Qualified success

Assets:
2x Su-25T

Losses:
1x Su-25T

Expenditures:
4x Kh-58U
4x Kh-25MPU
8x FAB 250 M62

Kills:
3x HQ-7 RADAR/Command vehicles
1x HQ-7 Launcher
Damage to CSS area
Assorted trucks and infantry in support of the above
A truly comical number of HQ-7s 'dodged'

What went well:
We had good effect on HQ-7s with our Kh-25MPUs.

Chevy 1-2 got some bombs on a CSS area.

What went poorly:
Our biggest and best ARMs (the Kh-58Us) were essentially wasted by firing at naval targets capable of defending themselves.

1-2 suffered a weapons release mishap while attempting a bombing run on the CSS area resulting in destruction of his aircraft.

I didn't have time to work up a proper briefing or even try to bone up on other suspected enemy positions after we got retasked. This lead to a lot uncertainty in my own actions for pretty much the entire mission. Plans good. YOLO bad. Mea culpa.

Due to that, I spent a lot of time trying to identify targets with the Mk1 eyeball and completely ignoring the fancy high zoom camera and TV built into my airplane. I definitely would have hit the CSS area had I used my equipment. I also don't think I used a single countermeasure other than ECM and IR dazzler. That's definitely bad practice.

Summary:

We were originally tasked with SEAD/DEAD over the western edge of AO bolt but got reassigned to the whole AO. I interpreted that as "protect the eagles" and made our initial ingress directly from Pureto Natales to COLO, knowing there were enemy concentrations southeast of that point. We did not initially see any hostile emitters and made it fairly far to the South before picking up an SA-8. Being the fanciest (okay, only) SAM we were aware of I ordered a launch on it. We synchronized launches at near max range and turned back to avoid heading too deep into enemy territory. At this point some HQ-7s went active and we hit them, and reformed at COLO. We then took additional Kh-58 shots at that SA-8. Not being sure of where the enemies were southeast of COLO after reforming, I defaulted to the area I knew had enemies. This resulted in significant damage to the HQ-7 emplacement along the western shoreline. 1-2 went for the CSS area with bombs and, possibly due to enemy AAA, suffered a malfunction was destroyed by his own bomb. One bomb hit the CSS area. I couldn't pinpoint his target (see above, re: not using my shkval), and decided to drop on the far side of strait, assuming there would be units on both sides. Concerned about fuel, I decided to RTB instead of attempting strafing runs.

Notes:
Su-25Ts are now out of ARMs.

We still have a variety of fairly chonky laser and TV-guided munitions in the form of Kh-29s, Kh-25MLs, S-25Ls, and KAB-500s. Any of those would likely work well against hardened structures (like we've seen in CSS areas) and ships.

Karrick fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Pontiac 1 Flight

A fairly standard CAP and uneventful flight.

We took off from Rio Turbio as a two-ship Mirage 2000C, and made our way the 80km to our first CAP waypoint - South of Rio Gallegos. We then patrolled along the northern coast for some time, before being vectored onto two J7s which were poking their head north of their side of the fence.

Our initial missiles, two Fox 1s and a Fox 2, missed due to evasive manouevres and countermeasures from the J7s. Pontiac 1-1 ended up in a turn fight, 1-2 was able to come in and eliminate one J7 and then got stuck chasing the second J7 which in turn was chasing 1-1! That continued for some time, the J7 showing uncharacteristic energy retention and fuel efficiency. 1-1 had to disengage and begin a return flight to Rio Gallegos due to fuel constraints, whereafter the second J7 mysteriously exploded - likely due to an earlier gun strike by 1-2.

1-1 was forced to land on the road 20km short of Rio Gallegos, but the landing was successful and the plane undamaged. A fuel truck was dispatched to get it refueled. 1-2 landed successfully at Rio Gallegos.

Two kills, no losses.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Council of South American Defense
Consejo de Defensa Suramericano
Conselho de Defesa Sul-Americano
Zuid-Amerikaanse Defensie Raad

To: Supreme Commander CSAD, South Atlantic AO

It is required of you to submit a memorandum of short and long term goals in a vision statement. It is to analyze your short term (1-5 in-game days) and your long term (+30 ingame days) goals and aspirations. Perhaps discuss, for your component (Navy, Air Force, Army) appropriate combat situations, what kind of missions you hope to achieve with them, etc, and most importantly, how to achieve all that (how to get to your vision).

This applies to:

General Humberto, commander of Armies
Comandante de escuadrilla Castillo, commander of Air Forces
Admiral Sampaio, commander of Navies

And, General Carlos, you will write a Area of Operations-wide memo in the same topic on broad strokes and grand goals.

It does not have to be in official memo format (though that'd be neat with the letterhead and all), it can be a neatly laid out forums post.
Why are we writing memos in the middle of the war? Because war is hell.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

TO: General Carlos

SUBJECT: F-16s from the temporary capital city Air Defence Squadron

The FACh has retained a separately assigned air defence squadron to protect Santiago. Out of those airplanes, the defence ministry has agreed to move several airframes to the South Atlantic AO. We will leave it up to you to select:

Option A: 4x F-16A
Option B: 2x F-16C

In return,
the FACh has requested that Peruvian MiGs would be moved north to augment the remaining F-16s for Santiago. In order to facilitate this transfer, Santiago is to be provided with x10 fully mission capable MiG-29s with modern missiles.

Your response is requested most expeditiously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Vahakyla posted:

TO: General Carlos

SUBJECT: F-16s from the temporary capital city Air Defence Squadron

The FACh has retained a separately assigned air defence squadron to protect Santiago. Out of those airplanes, the defence ministry has agreed to move several airframes to the South Atlantic AO. We will leave it up to you to select:

Option A: 4x F-16A
Option B: 2x F-16C

In return,
the FACh has requested that Peruvian MiGs would be moved north to augment the remaining F-16s for Santiago. In order to facilitate this transfer, Santiago is to be provided with x10 fully mission capable MiG-29s with modern missiles.

Your response is requested most expeditiously.

General Carlos,

The air forces in would see a significant benefit from the transfer of F-16A MLU aircraft given the ongoing Rattler/Ninja retrofit program.

We currently have two F-16A MLU in reserve, and an additional four would be an even upgrade quantity to scavenge parts from two of our reserve F-16C jets. This would yield 2x Jedi, 4x Rattler, and 2x Ninja jets to bring us to fully mission capable totals of 5x Jedi, 10x Rattler, and 5x Ninja once upgrades are complete, with 7x Venom remaining in reserve.

I encourage you to consider Option A as the preferred choice.

Thank you,

Ignacio “wonkotron” Castillo
Commander, Combined Air Combat Command