Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

Gaiden's dub was a really weird case, speaking of which. A full month is a really long time after launch to push a patch for English audio. Something must have gone wrong with the planning for it or something, but it's still practically an eternity.

e: to be clear, they were certainly correct in the assessment that they could get away with not including it, it wasn't necessarily of the highest priority for Gaiden, but part of me is shocked they bothered patching it at all with that great a delay

Usually voiceovers are done like months before the game ships iirc (I think LAD7’s were being wrapped up right before the pandemic hit) so it was probably like 85% done before release with all the money for sessions already paid for that entailed, so it’s just wasted money to not wrap up the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Uhh finished part 3 of Yakuza 4 and wow.what a rat bastard man. I was really not expecting ma-chan and chef ally to get fuckin shot by community police chief I thought he was a bro.

Oh yup of course time to switch characters lmao like clockwork.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Khanstant posted:

Uhh finished part 3 of Yakuza 4 and wow.what a rat bastard man. I was really not expecting ma-chan and chef ally to get fuckin shot by community police chief I thought he was a bro.

Oh yup of course time to switch characters lmao like clockwork.

:allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just finished 4 and what the entire gently caress was that last boss? Playing grabass with an irritating gun enemy while 25 dudes slash me with knives is not my idea of a fun or challenging time. Bad game.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s why you put all the pieces of sacred tree armour on Tanimura before you go there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow what a roller coaster. First they finally let me play as Kiryu but exactly when I do not want to and when he definitely should not be playable. Stay at orphanage! You're the worst sorority mom of all time, Kiryu.

Haruka traumatized twice by loving death row Yakuza goons crawling out of the beach.

And then Hamazaki all trying to turn himself in, have to fight saito the least opening-leaving dude ever. Thankfully Kiryu starts out stronger than the others but still, what a pain in the rear end and they make you do it twice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I question why this random prison guard has jurisdiction on the mainland, far away from his prison

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arist posted:

I question why this random prison guard has jurisdiction on the mainland, far away from his prison

A prison that actual police don't even know about.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Y:LAD Ch 12

Everybody was building it up as some sort of super awesome moment but it mostly just came off as a confused mess. Feels like a bit of a letdown. And what the gently caress was that "real, super brutal battle"?? It was like two groups of dudes that each get almost oneshot by Nanba's Kiwami attack! I mean yeah obviously the tag team boss fight before that was an absolute shitshow that I only barely survived at Lv 47 but tonally it's just all over the place.

Also I really hate grinding and that chapter took probably as long as all of the other chapters up until this point put together. I already do tedious repetitive chores to make meaningless numbers go up every day as it is, but I want to leave that behind when I log off at 5 PM.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s why you put all the pieces of sacred tree armour on Tanimura before you go there

my second attempt was actually pretty funny, because between all the levels/training to get the sacred tree gear (and giving stuff to chars other than kiryu) i absolutely steamrolled the first three fights and likely could have pulled off tanimura's w/o the sacred tree buff. glad i didn't have to try and do that tho

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

I said come in! posted:

And the last few Yakuza games played really well on Deck. They didn't really require any sort of graphical sacrifices in order to have acceptable performance. And I say this as someone with really high standards for frame rate / graphic fidelity.

I seriously bought a deck so I could have a better experience playing infinite wealth. While I could play Gaiden on my PC, and the trial of infinite wealth, I did have some slowdowns when lots of stuff was happening on screen. Especially when using the spider in Gaiden.

I could play it on my PC. I don't have the deck yet. But it has been ordered today. I am looking forward to playing infinite wealth and I don't know what jobs I'll use. Probably shouldn't keep someone as an idol the entire game again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arist posted:

I didn't think he did, except in the way secret police gangs do what they want, which was what made it weird Hamazaki was all just "all shucks I'll just turn myself back into secret prison." His only idea was bargain with corrupt police, never once thought about even making a copy.

But hey at least Ma-chan and Zhao are alive.... But doesn't that mean old chief bro made them watch him kill himself?? I guess they're fine but the way it was edited on the cliffhanger makes it rough.

Kiryu back in Kamurocho neglecting the kids, immediately dips into host club and gets email invites for baseball parties and komaki wants to dance. Surprised I haven't heard from Mack yet.

I been in this city all game but it still feels different as Kiryu lol. Maybe it's the way he plows through crowds. Is there an achievement for beating the game and NOT knocking anyone down. I will never get it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Become a Sujimon Master and play the best Pokemon game in a decade

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

I said come in! posted:

And the last few Yakuza games played really well on Deck. They didn't really require any sort of graphical sacrifices in order to have acceptable performance. And I say this as someone with really high standards for frame rate / graphic fidelity.

this reminds me of something i wanted to ask the thread: did anyone here play through Y4 on deck, and if so did they run into slowdowns regularly (seemingly unrelated to how much was happening on screen)? was an issue for me to the point where i moved back over to PC, but Gaiden played just fine so i'm wondering if it's the older engine or i need to do some proton tweaking

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

stuker posted:

this reminds me of something i wanted to ask the thread: did anyone here play through Y4 on deck, and if so did they run into slowdowns regularly (seemingly unrelated to how much was happening on screen)? was an issue for me to the point where i moved back over to PC, but Gaiden played just fine so i'm wondering if it's the older engine or i need to do some proton tweaking

I only played through the first couple chapters so far, but I didn't have any noticeable issues.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

Everybody was building it up as some sort of super awesome moment but it mostly just came off as a confused mess. Feels like a bit of a letdown. And what the gently caress was that "real, super brutal battle"?? It was like two groups of dudes that each get almost oneshot by Nanba's Kiwami attack! I mean yeah obviously the tag team boss fight before that was an absolute shitshow that I only barely survived at Lv 47 but tonally it's just all over the place.

Also I really hate grinding and that chapter took probably as long as all of the other chapters up until this point put together. I already do tedious repetitive chores to make meaningless numbers go up every day as it is, but I want to leave that behind when I log off at 5 PM.

That bit gets even funnier once you play Gaiden and find out that Kiryu was just offscreen clearing 30 guys using his rocket shoes and exploding cigarettes, and everyone gets up after Ichiban passes out and continues fighting in a way cooler sequence for like 20 minutes

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

For the Yakuza games on deck, specifically the Dragon Engine games, is that a 60fps yes or a 30fps yes. Or am I being overly optimistic?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

For the Yakuza games on deck, specifically the Dragon Engine games, is that a 60fps yes or a 30fps yes. Or am I being overly optimistic?

You could probably get 60 by tanking the graphics settings on top of other stuff idk how to fiddle with good since I’m a fake PC gamer, but at least for me with medium graphics settings and Vsynch off it was never lower than 30 for fights, and usually hovered around 40 FPS.

Sapozhnik posted:

i mean, “the Tojo Clan and Omi have entered an agreement to dissolve their organizations, no more yakuza” is kind of a big deal no matter how you slice it, but admittedly Gaiden does do a better job of building it up.

Mode 7 edit: I fixed the broken spoiler tags.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 13, 2024

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, also it's a really small thing but any time some heavy plot stuff happens in Y:LAD it immediately sends you to bed without giving control, so pretty often you'll wake up, get control, and immediately be day-drinking to get your bond level conversations unlocked. Seems like a little bit of free activity time at the end of a lot of these chapters would be more thematically appropriate, even if you're locked inside the bar while doing so.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm so happy I dodged a bullet (literally in this case) by playing 3-5 remastered on Easy after hearing how they have difficulty issues. Although considering every 5 pages this thread circles back to "I'm on the last boss of 4 and what the poo poo" I kinda wish I experienced it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably would have been briefly amusing, but not for long. it's bad even with the armour.

normally when goons bang on about something :siren: absolutely essential :siren: in a game it's not that much of a deal to ignore it, but trying the final boss in 4 armourless is... that bad.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I played 3 on easy because of how bad the combat is. 4 I played on normal because the combat except for tanimura was fun. And yes, I used that armor for the boss fight. Worst required fight in the series. I'll give absolute worse to any of the many Amon fights.
4, absolute fun besides him. 5, an absolute blast to play. Even Shinada was fun to play as, even if I didn't have a weapon for him to smack enemies with. Of course for his final boss I already had the golden gun so I slapped that on him and beat his boss in about 3 seconds. Completion reward, yeah! I beat the amons which was harder than the final boss. Might as well make the rest of the game a joke.

Now, hopefully infinite wealth runs fine on default settings on the steam deck oled I'm getting. Just hope it arrives before infinite wealth is released. I don't care about a preload, only way I'd do it is if the deck arrives after infinite wealth is out and I have it downloaded on my PC already. Gonna only play it on the deck.

For the animal crossing and pokemon, of course. Or Sega Bass pro fishing.

drat it's gonna have so much stuff to do and seeing how they've tweaked the combat from 7, added QoL stuff. Actually having a use for those CDs besides completion rewards, since the only thing I did in the hideout was the talks with party members... Which muted the jukebox anyway.
Hopefully the gearing system is better. That was one of the worst parts of Yakuza 7. The devil rocker and matriarch classes were basically unplayable until you unlocked the weapon vendor. Hopefully the linebacker and tennis player get their weapons quickly and not halfway through the game. Or the other classes.
Makes me wonder how many classes will actually be in the game, and which return from Yakuza 7. The infinite wealth mod that "unlocked" everything in the Hawaii demo had placeholder assets. When RGG did a video that had more stuff accessible, you saw that kiryu had a heck of a lot more than 4 skills in his dragon class.
Also makes me wonder what classes I will use.
Also what costumes. I did preorder the ultimate collection with all the dlc included, so I can hope that they added a Ryoma costume for Kiryu. Would fit perfectly with the samurai class.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’d kinda be surprised if any jobs carried over, like I don’t doubt that some of the new ones are gonna have clear parallels to the old ones, but they really seem to be leaning into the goofiness and In America angle with jobs like freaking cowboy, linebacker and scuba diver.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It seems like the only jobs that'll carry over at this point are the LAD crew's base jobs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just one more full "Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth"-less weekend to go...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I just hope the "main" minigame is better than the business management thing in YLAD because I hate it.

It has been said that stress and anxiety arises from the feeling that a person is not in control of their own life, and that just sums up this stupid minigame in a nutshell. None of your staff get any better beyond growing an additional pixel here or there on their ability bars, and none of the buildings give you any of the information that you need to make an informed purchasing decision. You might buy a really profitable-looking business only to discover that it is immediately tent-poled on Memorability and unless you have an employee with an absolutely ridiculous score in that stat then that building is never going to grow. Conversely you might pick up a crappy sweet shop with seven development levels that grows like absolutely gangbusters and scaling it up only requires an incredibly modest increase in Customer Service for each level.

And none of that even matters anyway because the only thing that you need to have in order to actually make progress is a squad of four expert bullshitters for the shareholder meeting because idk there isn't even any concept of turning a profit anywhere in this minigame, just sucking shareholders off. I can't decide if that makes it incredibly contrived or depressingly realistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 13, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wasn't a big fan of the business management in YLAD mainly because it just becomes very tedious past a certain point. I still abused it to become rich, but the island stuff in Infinite Wealth looks like it will be a lot more fun (though it's actually unclear to me if the island will be Infinite Wealth's "big money-making minigame," or if it's just something completely new).

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like the only jobs that'll carry over at this point are the LAD crew's base jobs.

Breaker, Host, and Chef are in for the men at the very least.
Idol and Night Queen are in for the women.

Host and Breaker were shown in an official RGG video. One reviewer broke embargo a little and I spotted Chef, Idol, and Night Queen. I didn't watch the video but just wanted to see the jobs. The other jobs shown in the job changing were ones already revealed in the trailers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Business management ruled, Dondoko Island is also going to rule

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I liked the management game for the novelty of partnering Yuki and Majima again to manage a coffee shop together and the idea of secret optional partner members a la FFVII is a fun one but after the first few times it truly is just 'line goes up receive $1 million'

Which is also technically what the Y0 real estate game was but at least that was intercut with delightful scenes of Kiryu trying to look cool in front of his hot secretary

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Business management ruled, Dondoko Island is also going to rule

Sujimon raising and training will rule.
I want to raise the Piss Wizard.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So yeah I think Chapter 12 was the turning point where I soured on Y:LAD.

I'm at the point where you return to Kamurocho and it seems like we're wrapping up for the obligatory Shirtless Fistfight In The Millennium Tower finale.

I saw the twist about Ichiban and Masato's parentage coming from a ways off but didn't expect it to be explained in such a contrived and idiotic way. The part where Mabuchi was plotting to gently caress up Ijinchou's power balance and how that whole one-sided bank note factored into it all was really compelling and reminded me of Zero's Empty Lot struggle. The part where you're fighting against an evil sneering politician (who admittedly at least has some interesting backstory) and his three lackeys of doom is a lot less so. The fanservice Majima and Kiryuu fights are huge pains in the rear end as well because of all the grinding that they require, and there's no "difficulty" as such with this sort of turn based combat system, just brainless grinding. There isn't really even any sort of tank role as far as I know (maybe some of the other jobs that I never tried?) and buffs/debuffs seem to hardly do anything, so even for a JRPG it's really brainless. Maybe I just needed to grind ten levels in every single job and investigate how they all fit together but you can see how that might not be very appealing. None of the non-default jobs that I dabbled with really set my world on fire, beyond Idol being a decent multipurpose support role and Hostess having ice attacks.

The party member characters are kind of boring as well. Adachi has beef with Horinouchi, but that guy has gone basically unmentioned for the entire story. Nanba had that whole thing with his brother so that he could betray Ichiban at a critical moment and then the whole thing is immediately resolved and forgotten about. Saeko just kind of suddenly pops into existence in the party out of nowhere, to the point where I was expecting her to be the one to pull a sudden betrayal out of nowhere but no, she just exists and has no identity beyond "self-declared surrogate mother for her little sister, who resents her constant meddling." Jungi Han I guess is important to the plot of all those other middle installments that I didn't play but it's not even Jungi Han, just some random nobody who served as his body double. And Chou(?) is, uhh... a guy who exists? I guess? And still simps for his former subordinate because Mabuchi is a lot more motivated than he is? Like Eri is about as interesting as any of these clowns and she doesn't exist at all outside of the business games and being an optional party member. I don't feel any sort of camaraderie or joint investment in the story from any of these people, it's just Ichiban and some party members who may as well be robots.

The point where I went down to the Kamurocho underground to grind in preparation for the final battle(s), since I didn't want a repeat of the wretched Majima and Kiryuu fights, and then spent about seven minutes plinking down some sandwich board dipshit who resists every kind of attack except Electric and yields a pittance of Exp is the point where I decided I don't even really want to push through any more. At the very least I'm going to put it down for a while.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
Finished Lost Judgement the other night.

Before I played the game I'd already heard that after Sawa's murder, Yagami would spend the rest of the game not shutting the gently caress up about it and using her death as a one-size-fits-all moral bludgeon in arguments with the antagonists. What I didn't know was that on top of only knowing her for a few days, Sawa more or less hated his guts for constantly badgering her about her traumatic past. Made his self righteousness about the whole thing even worse.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Enforcer and Bodyguard are the closest the game gets to tanking mechanics.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

At the very least I'm going to put it down for a while.[/spoiler]

I did that about 2/3rds of the way through and it seemed to work out. I never felt like I was grinding, but I absolutely did just in the process of getting rare materials for upgrades and completing sujimon dex. The 2 big fan service fights were kind of funny because they weren't pushovers. Clearly harder than most fights, but I never actually had to worry. I finite healing, super strong attacks and summons and teamup attacks. Felt closer to evenly matched with everything else in the game being completely easy by then. Like, never wanted a tank because 99% of non-boss fights would be finished the first turn by Eri. The super high defense guys often couldn't even stand up to her but when they could somebody with an elemental spray attack or whatever that hits a bunch would melt em.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

and then spent about seven minutes plinking down some sandwich board dipshit who resists every kind of attack except Electric and yields a pittance of Exp is the point where I decided I don't even really want to push through any more.

You get a lot more grinding value out of the suspiciously wealthy homeless guys who only take 1 damage from every hit but go down like chumps to any multi-hit attack. They're basically DQ metal slimes, they run away if you don't take them out quickly but if you *do* they're worth like ten or twenty times the exp of a regular enemy.

And you get a lot of stuff also progressing the Sotenbori Arena.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The final chapter ones are 450k each before you add any xp bonuses in from gear, you get at least one level pretty much every kill all the way to 99 if you have the right gear setup.

There’s a save point in the sewer just past the annoying sign guy, which is a nice place to save. You can then run down the steps to the next floor and go kill them all, go back up to the where the save point is which resets the floor (you don’t have to save, just going back up the stairs and then down again is fine) and do it over and over for as long as you can bear.

Joongi’s got some rapid fire gun skill I forget the name of that hits a ton of times and can reliably kill them, and it’s inherited so you can still use it when he’s in other jobs.

There’s absolutely no benefit to trying to kill them on legend for even more xp, the legend bonus is a flat value per enemy killed in a combat rather than a multiplier and they end up being virtually impossible to kill on that difficulty so it’s a shitload of extra work for absolutely gently caress all benefit in comparison.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The biggest thing I hope Infinite Wealth addresses is who was in the Kamulop costume collecting Tojo Clan crests

I still think it was Daigo

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

So yeah I think Chapter 12 was the turning point where I soured on Y:LAD.

I saw the twist about Ichiban and Masato's parentage coming from a ways off but didn't expect it to be explained in such a contrived and idiotic way.

80% of Ichiban's backstory being given the Y0 slideshow cutscene style makes me wonder how late in development most of those plot points were settled on, since that method of storytelling gives off some real "we'll fix it in post" energy even in 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Before I actually played the games I heard there was one set on an orphanage. I now understand it's Y3, but back then I thought it was a prequel where you play as a kid version of the main guy, meet other kid versions of later characters. Muppet Babies Yakuza basically